ADVERTISEMENT

The women looked bad at Illinois today.

Shuski

All-Big Ten
Aug 28, 2001
The women played defense like the men today and Illinois who gave us the same stuff for first half in Bloomington completely outplayed us. If they continue their run Illinois has an outside chance of making run at the tournament but with 2 or 3 wins should make NIT and be a tough out. Parrish tried playing today but as much as they need her Thursday night against Iowa, she can't run on the foot/ankle yet. They need her healthy by Big Ten tournament time.

Go Hoosiers smack the Hawkeyes and the almighty Caitlin Clark who is making more than many of the NBA players according to article. She might as well stay at Iowa and invest for her future. She is a great player but an opponent that I respect but don't like.

The women played defense like the men today and Illinois who gave us the same stuff for first half in Bloomington completely outplayed us. If they continue their run Illinois has an outside chance of making run at the tournament but with 2 or 3 wins should make NIT and be a tough out. Parrish tried playing today but as much as they need her Thursday night against Iowa, she can't run on the foot/ankle yet. They need her healthy by Big Ten tournament time.

Go Hoosiers smack the Hawkeyes and the almighty Caitlin Clark who is making more than many of the NBA players according to article. She might as well stay at Iowa and invest for her future. She is a great player but an opponent that I respect but don't like.
IU's bench including Bargesser were once again mostly ineffective. Four bench players got 2 points in 25 minutes, and Bargesser got 6 in 35 minutes. 34 of IU's 66 points came from 5th years Homes and Scalia. Short of pulling two new starters and at least one quality bench player from the portal, IU is falling a ways down the standings next year, especially with USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten.

Reactions: IUgradman

The TV coverage was on the IU sideline as they were getting ready to start the 4th quarter. Moren said "I don't know where your heads are, they certainly aren't here. I don't know what your problem is. You've got ten minutes to figure something out".

The TV coverage was on the IU sideline as they were getting ready to start the 4th quarter. Moren said "I don't know where your heads are, they certainly aren't here. I don't know what your problem is. You've got ten minutes to figure something out".
Interesting that she waited that late to call them out. That should have been the half time theme

Interesting that she waited that late to call them out. That should have been the half time theme
I have no idea what she said at half. They came out in the third quarter down 16 and cut it to 8 in about two minutes. Didn't hold that momentum for too long though.

Lucky for me I had to work and didn’t see this one. I do recall back in the first meeting, IU really struggling against quick Illinois guards on dribble drive. That game was close the whole way.

Lucky for me I had to work and didn’t see this one. I do recall back in the first meeting, IU really struggling against quick Illinois guards on dribble drive. That game was close the whole way.
IU had a lot on the line for this game. They realistically are out of the hunt for the Big Ten title. They are now in position to at a minimum get to the BTT final game to get back to a top 4 seed and the chance to host the first 2 rounds of games. UIll meanwhile still has to pull one more upset and win the first game in the BTT just to get WNIT eligible.

This really not new. We struggle against quick guards. Happened last year with IL, OSU, and Miami. We allow them to get downhill and to the rim. Mack can't resist too much. Coach needs to figure it out. Maybe some hard hedging to redirect. Leaves the roll open but I'd take my chances on the help being there and Mack recovering.

They played bad and I heard Moren, and I am confident that was not the first time she called them out. She was pleading with them and coaching them the whole game. The refs did not lose it by any means, but it was the same team I saw from row 2 when Illinois almost beat us in Bloomington. They are definitely one of the most inconsistent referee teams I have ever seen. One guy and one woman are two of the worst college officials I have ever seen. They called over 40 fouls in Bloomington and really called Indiana for every cheap foul and Illinois gets away with a lot.

I do like Illinois new coach from a respect standpoint the last two years. They play physical, fast and hard. In the Bloomington second half we hit a lot of shots and stopped them from penetrating so easily which we never did today. We made them take a lot of bad shots and they wore out in the fourth quarter. They really only have 6 players that are worth putting on the floor.

It is hard to say how next year will go because so much can happen between now and then. We have 6'3" and 6'4" recruits coming in who seem pretty good including Faith Wiseman from Indiana. Bargesser has progressed a lot and we could have a decent lineup if both McNeil and Parrish come back. Parrish already said she was. Beaumont and Lamendola are freshman who have had a chance to get invaluable experience and have had some good moments today not included. We definitely could use another point guard and shooting guard either transfer or freshman.

This really not new. We struggle against quick guards. Happened last year with IL, OSU, and Miami. We allow them to get downhill and to the rim. Mack can't resist too much. Coach needs to figure it out. Maybe some hard hedging to redirect. Leaves the roll open but I'd take my chances on the help being there and Mack recovering.
You are correct one thing I saw against OSU that I liked was daring their brute sophomore to shoot from outside and play her almost every time to spin and double when she does that. They are a good team, and I am not an OSU fan, but I hope they win the Big Ten and not Iowa. Clark is good but I am so tired of the media fawning all over her but unfortunately, she has it good and money much better than WNBA so we will probably see Clark again next year.

Reactions: ribbont
I was shocked early in the season with the 32 point loss at Stanford and then the big loss at Iowa. I felt the loss of Grace Berger made a big impact on the current team. We didn't lose last season until late in the year, and then the losses were only by small margins.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
You are correct one thing I saw against OSU that I liked was daring their brute sophomore to shoot from outside and play her almost every time to spin and double when she does that. They are a good team, and I am not an OSU fan, but I hope they win the Big Ten and not Iowa. Clark is good but I am so tired of the media fawning all over her but unfortunately, she has it good and money much better than WNBA so we will probably see Clark again next year.

We also struggled against MSU with their quick PG Hageman. She too got downhill to score 18 and dish 10. Not mention the quick guard from Iowa, Davis, killed us. Coach better figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT