ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa women make mistakes in Lincoln, & what IF

Army88

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2012
I was watching IU women destroy pu women on my iPad, while surfing tv games.
I knew C Clark for Iowa was close to making history, so I turned the iowa-Nebraska women's game on right after the start of their 4th quarter. Iowa had a comfortable lead and when Clark got to within 8 points of the record, it looked to me like she purposely stopped trying to score. I have heard she wanted to break the record at home in Iowa.
Be careful what you hope for! Iowa lost!
Now-What If? Clark gets the flu (or misses her next game for some none career ending reason) and misses their next game or 2? I really think Iowa blew the game trying to delay CC from breaking the record away from Iowa.
And, by the way, they play IU in Btown the game after next.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I knew C Clark for Iowa was close to making history, so I turned the iowa-Nebraska women's game on right after the start of their 4th quarter. Iowa had a comfortable lead and when Clark got to within 8 points of the record, it looked to me like she purposely stopped trying to score. I have heard she wanted to break the record at home in Iowa.
Now-What If? Clark gets the flu (or misses her next game for some none career ending reason) and misses their next game or 2? I really think Iowa blew the game trying to delay CC from breaking the record away from Iowa.
Nebraska was face guarding her and switching defenders almost every possession. A few possessions in the 4th Nebraska went triangle and two with the two face guarding/denying Clark and Martin. Nebraska also was playing with a frenetic energy on defense and Iowa failed to match it. Clark missed 5 or 6 shots in the 4th, so your made up story about her not trying to score is rather bogus. She missed the two fouls for the tech on Nebraska's coach, and Big Red fired up after that and Iowa just failed to match that energy. Stulke was missing bunnies or dropping the pass, Nebraska was poking the ball away on drives, and playing very physical daring the refs to make calls against them and their 15k crowd going down the stretch.

Nebraska was face guarding her and switching defenders almost every possession. A few possessions in the 4th Nebraska went triangle and two with the two face guarding/denying Clark and Martin. Nebraska also was playing with a frenetic energy on defense and Iowa failed to match it. Clark missed 5 or 6 shots in the 4th, so your made up story about her not trying to score is rather bogus. She missed the two fouls for the tech on Nebraska's coach, and Big Red fired up after that and Iowa just failed to match that energy. Stulke was missing bunnies or dropping the pass, Nebraska was poking the ball away on drives, and playing very physical daring the refs to make calls against them and their 15k crowd going down the stretch.
In other words, they got Iowa-ed. Good.

Reactions: Army88
Just got home from the IU women's game. The crowd roared the loudest when Mac Holmes set the all time IU scoring record. Got pretty loud again when they announced the Iowa Nebraska score.

Unless IU loses a potential trap game at Wisconsin, they'll be tied with Iowa when they play at IU on the 22nd.

Reactions: outside shooter
Just got home from the IU women's game. The crowd roared the loudest when Mac Holmes set the all time IU scoring record. Got pretty loud again when they announced the Iowa Nebraska score.

Unless IU loses a potential trap game at Wisconsin, they'll be tied with Iowa when they play at IU on the 22nd.
But they’ll both be looking up at Ohio State

I respect her talent, but she is way too much about herself for me to like her.
In the post game pressor she said “this team” not us or we or our team. She has hit multiple crucial and game winning shots and then goes to the crowd for her adulation and not to the team to celebrate with them.
When she fouled Nebraska on a three point attempt she acted like it was a bad ref call. The announcers mentioned how she did clearly foul the Nebraska player.
I agree she is a great player with superb range. But she is far too me me me to be liked by some of us.

Last edited:
I respect her talent, but she is way too much about herself for me to like her.
She has over 1,000 assists. She is very team oriented. Always including her teammates and talks them up in the media.

She does need to focus more on basketball and less time chirping at the refs though.

Reactions: kkott
No way they would blow a game on purpose.

Do you also believe the US government is responsible for 9/11?

And Ohio State has Michigan State left to play. MSU could easily put a "L" on the Buckeyes.

And Ohio State has Michigan State left to play. MSU could easily put a "L" on the Buckeyes.
I was hoping for the same, but OSU beat MSU today @MSU by 15 (OSU also beat them earlier this year).

IU needs to win out, and have Iowa beat OSU that final weekend for a 3-way tie. It does suck that our only game vs. OSU was in Columbus. We can always hope for another upset of both of them.

Reactions: kkott and Vern Pain
I was hoping for the same, but OSU beat MSU today @MSU by 15 (OSU also beat them earlier this year).

IU needs to win out, and have Iowa beat OSU that final weekend for a 3-way tie. It does suck that our only game vs. OSU was in Columbus. We can always hope for another upset of both of them.
If IU wins out, wouldn't that give Iowa three losses and solo third place?

We'd lose every tiebreaker in that instance, I believe. We need to win out and hope OSU slips up more than just against Iowa. Seems unlikely, but Nebraska, Maryland and Penn State are all ahead for them.

No way Clark tanked the 4th quarter to cost them the game. (note, the following is somewhat TIC)...
Only a self obsessed narcissist who loves the camera and attention would do something like that.
A person who wanted to achieve this record at home, in front of fans who worship her and will cheer for 10 minutes when the record is broken. A person who didn't want the record broken on Super Sunday, which would lesson the media coverage of their own history-making personal accomplishment.

Could she really have thought that way? Don't know, don't care. I'm just glad I got to see Taylor Swift a thousand times last night. But upset Andy Reid didn't bench Kelce's ass for the rest of the game after that tantrum he threw. Victories extend contracts. Virtues get you traded...or fired.

Reactions: Army88
No way Clark tanked the 4th quarter to cost them the game. (note, the following is somewhat TIC)...
Only a self obsessed narcissist who loves the camera and attention would do something like that.
A person who wanted to achieve this record at home, in front of fans who worship her and will cheer for 10 minutes when the record is broken. A person who didn't want the record broken on Super Sunday, which would lesson the media coverage of their own history-making personal accomplishment.

Could she really have thought that way? Don't know, don't care. I'm just glad I got to see Taylor Swift a thousand times last night. But upset Andy Reid didn't bench Kelce's ass for the rest of the game after that tantrum he threw. Victories extend contracts. Virtues get you traded...or fired.
Since they were up 14 and they wanted her to break the record at home, Bluder likely started to try to win the game without CC scoring, which they should have been able to do. CC is like 6th all-time in NCAA assists, so she could have created for others, hit FTs and win the game. As it got closer, CC took more shots, but they didn't fall and they end up losing. No tears here from me, but I don't think there was any intention of sacrificing the game so that the record could be broken at home.

Since they were up 14 and they wanted her to break the record at home, Bluder likely started to try to win the game without CC scoring, which they should have been able to do. CC is like 6th all-time in NCAA assists, so she could have created for others, hit FTs and win the game. As it got closer, CC took more shots, but they didn't fall and they end up losing. No tears here from me, but I don't think there was any intention of sacrificing the game so that the record could be broken at home.
oh I agree...I would hope that the B1G title still matters to CC and the Iowa staff. As I said, my post was mostly TIC....the timing (next game and home, Super Sunday) just made for an interesting conspiracy, but that's about it.

If you look at the schedules, the rest of the way, we play lessor win teams except Iowa.
OSU wins the head to head with us as we play them only once, and that was a loss in Columbus.
We need help from someone and to me it looks like at Penn State to be the most likely OSU loss and then at Iowa.
So we need to win out (and that is realistic, just play one at a time), OSU needs to lose twice (someone plus their at Iowa game), and Iowa just needs to lose to us in Bloomington.

Reactions: BBallDad02
The only one still playing (G League)that is on the top ten ncaa career scoring list is Antoine Davis (Mike Davis’ son). I would like to see Antoine Davis vs C Clark game of 21 using the men’s ball.

So you want to have a head to head matchup where one has a disadvantage of not using the equipment they use always?

Seems fair.
Kraft.... no disrespect to your comment..... I'm just using it to make my comment.

IMHO: In today's world... Equity is being shoved down our throats.... where is the equity if they don't use the same sized basketball in this little contest????

(my comment was probably more suited for the Water Cooler forum.... but it fits the theme of this topic here)

So you want to have a head to head matchup where one has a disadvantage of not using the equipment they use always?

Seems fair.
I guess the men could petition to reduce the size of the men’s basketball to the women’s size so as not to be at a disadvantage for ncaa scoring records

Kraft.... no disrespect to your comment..... I'm just using it to make my comment.

IMHO: In today's world... Equity is being shoved down our throats.... where is the equity if they don't use the same sized basketball in this little contest????

(my comment was probably more suited for the Water Cooler forum.... but it fits the theme of this topic here)
No disrespect, but they use different basketballs...so why would you create a head to head competition to 'prove something' by giving one a disadvantage in the equipment they use?

I mean the whole idea brought up by CriticalDA is absurd anyway. Why can't each just be appreciated for what they are?

Reactions: Tscurlo
She has over 1,000 assists. She is very team oriented. Always including her teammates and talks them up in the media.

She does need to focus more on basketball and less time chirping at the refs though.
Or intentionally run into a fan on the court and act like she got hit by a bus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT