ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming transfer wish list

I saw on another thread where someone asked if Hickman visited this WE. Couldn't find that thread, but I wanted to share some things I've seen on other sites.....I have no personal contacts/information, just know what I've read.

I follow the HSN and B Town Banner sites on the portal matters. They seem to have a couple of guys with some contacts.

According to one of them, Hickman was sick this WE and cancelled the visit. No word about a new date.

I had earlier seen that LWalker would be visiting....I thought it was said to be on 4/1. Don't know what happened there and there's no discussion about him right now on those sites.

One poster who seemed to be informed says that Woodson is all in on Perkins and that he is the #1 target in the portal. But I see nothing about an OV. Same poster says his mom wants him at IU because she's tired of driving so many miles to see him play.

One somewhat sketchy but somewhat informed twitterer had said that Wolf, the skilled 7 footer from Yale, was a major IU target; however, he later took that down and I've seen nothing since about interest in IU.

One poster is interested in Conwell, a 6'4" wing from Indiana State. He's got some high efficiency offensive #s. It wasn't clear whether this poster had any information, or was just speculating. ISU is still involved in the NIT at present.

Hatfield, the 6'9" UL transfer, is scheduled to visit on 4/12. I've seen nothing anywhere about his interests other than IU.

It doesn't appear to me that any of the highest rated PGs or 2 guards in the portal are interested in IU. In fact, I've seen no reciprocal interest toward IU from any of the 25 or so other porterers who have been contacted. Let us know if you've seen otherwise.

Perkins would probably be about 5-6 PG on most of those lists. There are 3-4 different lists, but Perkins and Hatfield seem generally to be in the 30s, and Hickman and Walker in the 70s (or so).

One thing about Perkins and Galloway----their assist #s were both dramatically better last year than in previous years. And both had tolerable TO #s. I know neither are above average shooters, but Perkins has been 33%/75% or so most of his career on 3s/FT, and very slightly under 50% on 2s. Galloway has been 55% + on 2s. If he could shoot 33%/65% on 3s/FTs, they could be very good together, if we can find another shooter. In any event, it's starting to look like a class of Perkins/Hickman/Hatfield & Walker is our best case scenario.

Couple of interesting portal developments......first, Scotty Middleton from OSU has entered the portal. Would seem to be a big hit for them. I don't know of any IU interest......but there have been whiffs of smoke for awhile that IU is interested in Bruce Thornton of OSU, who is not in the portal.........

Also some whiffs of smoke of IU interest in Myles Rice of Washington State, a freshman this year who I believe was all-Pac 12.....

Finally, remember Jamie Kaiser? He chose MD over IU & VA last year....a 6'6" shooter......Anyway, he's in the portal. Hopefully we're NOT interested, as he shot 28% on 2s and 26% on 3s while playing behind JG this year. Just shows you that all recruits are a crapshoot....

I assume Woodson still thinks IU’s main (perhaps only) problem this season was X’s injury/absence and MW regards Perkins as the closest thing to an ideal replacement for Johnson next season.

I doubt if Woodson’s concerned about Perkins’ shooting, or that MW feels any real urgency about signing shooters like Hickman—especially if he can pick up a serviceable post/rim protector in the portal with donor cash.

If he can, I’d expect him to default back to a post-heavy offense like we’ve seen the past 3 seasons. If that’s enough to get a double-digit tournament seed next year, it may also be enough for the actual decision-makers to let Woodson call his own shot in terms of his retirement.

So we are for sure in need of 3 spots and potentially 6 or more additions from the portal. With that in mind, what would your potential wish list look like? For me I would look at

Jalen Blackmon--had a great year at Stetson and can flat-out shoot it--averaged over 20 a game at near 40% from 3 on high volume and multiple brothers that played at IU

Conner Essegian--had a really good freshman year but for some reason regressed this year, but shot 36% last year on over 5 attempts per game. May be looking for a fresh start

Johnell Davis--Averaging 18 a game at FAU, from Indiana and shooting 43% from 3 on the year. Would guess this would only potentially happen in May left for a new job, but was an Indiana All-Star with Trey and Leal (even though games were not played)

Avila, Swoope, or Conwell from ISU 2 guards and a big. Both guards were in-state kids and Avila is just fun to watch. Have to assume their coach leaves and they will be in demand

Booker--If he is frustrated at MSU, take a flier, I know he is not a true big, but there is potential there and after seeing what the staff has done to develop TJD, MR, and KW why not take a shot!

Obviously would need more bigs if MR and to a lesser extent MM leave, but I think those 2 would be a really good 4/5 combo but only Sparks behind them as a big--which is why I include Avila

Obviously, this is a WISH list and many may not even enter the portal, but have to dream at times!

Well..............the latest 'news' on the old portal transfer recruiting front is not encouraging....

6'9" Huntley-Hatfield (?) cancelled his 4/12 OV. We're out there.

Woodson and some of the staff made an in-home visit with Connor Hickman yesterday. It's not clear whether that was in Peoria or Bloomington. In any event Chris, a really good poster on B Town Banners, says that we're behind Cincy & Nebraska in that recruitment. and that Hickman doesn't like our offense and wants a lot of $. Remember, Hickman 'called in sick' for his OV.

No indication of where we stand on the Perkins recruitment. Remind me.....how has this staff done recently on prolonged recruiting sagas where we have been 'in the lead'? Walker is still out there. He may end up being our only pg commit, if we get him.

We've had app. 35 known contacts in the portal, from which 3 OV visits were scheduled. We're 0-3 on the visits actually taking place.

I'm down from hoping for 5 portal commitments to hoping for 3.......1 pg, 1 shooter of any size, and a big who can rebound and play D.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Well..............the latest 'news' on the old portal transfer recruiting front is not encouraging....

6'9" Huntley-Hatfield (?) cancelled his 4/12 OV. We're out there.

Woodson and some of the staff made an in-home visit with Connor Hickman yesterday. It's not clear whether that was in Peoria or Bloomington. In any event Chris, a really good poster on B Town Banners, says that we're behind Cincy & Nebraska in that recruitment. and that Hickman doesn't like our offense and wants a lot of $. Remember, Hickman 'called in sick' for his OV.

No indication of where we stand on the Perkins recruitment. Remind me.....how has this staff done recently on prolonged recruiting sagas where we have been 'in the lead'? Walker is still out there. He may end up being our only pg commit, if we get him.

We've had app. 35 known contacts in the portal, from which 3 OV visits were scheduled. We're 0-3 on the visits actually taking place.

I'm down from hoping for 5 portal commitments to hoping for 3.......1 pg, 1 shooter of any size, and a big who can rebound and play D.
We've reached out to Gibson Jimerson, a 6'5" grad prospect from St. Louis Good shooter with .484 shooting on 636 2 pt attempts and .395 on 789 3 pt attempts. Nothing special with respect to rebounds or assists. 3rd team all-Atlantic 10 this past season avg. about 15 ppg. Serious competition for him.

I understand the sentiment and concern, and hope it's shared by Scott Dolson, but he has recruited Hood Schifino, Reanu, Bates, Mbako, Ware and McNeeley. Now of course McNeeley decomitted, and Ware was a portal guy, but he has recruited high level guys. At worst, that's five 5* guys in 3 years, plus re-recruiting TJD. How many 5* guys did Archie get? Crean? I'm not saying there isn't reason for concern, but CMW can make the argument he can recruit talent, whether it's the right mix, or if he's putting enough effort into HS recruiting are questions I hope SD is asking.
I wouldn’t say Woodson can’t recruit (buy) top talent. What I question is his decision making on building a recruiting class and a roster.

I saw on another thread where someone asked if Hickman visited this WE. Couldn't find that thread, but I wanted to share some things I've seen on other sites.....I have no personal contacts/information, just know what I've read.

I follow the HSN and B Town Banner sites on the portal matters. They seem to have a couple of guys with some contacts.

According to one of them, Hickman was sick this WE and cancelled the visit. No word about a new date.

I had earlier seen that LWalker would be visiting....I thought it was said to be on 4/1. Don't know what happened there and there's no discussion about him right now on those sites.

One poster who seemed to be informed says that Woodson is all in on Perkins and that he is the #1 target in the portal. But I see nothing about an OV. Same poster says his mom wants him at IU because she's tired of driving so many miles to see him play.

One somewhat sketchy but somewhat informed twitterer had said that Wolf, the skilled 7 footer from Yale, was a major IU target; however, he later took that down and I've seen nothing since about interest in IU.

One poster is interested in Conwell, a 6'4" wing from Indiana State. He's got some high efficiency offensive #s. It wasn't clear whether this poster had any information, or was just speculating. ISU is still involved in the NIT at present.

Hatfield, the 6'9" UL transfer, is scheduled to visit on 4/12. I've seen nothing anywhere about his interests other than IU.

It doesn't appear to me that any of the highest rated PGs or 2 guards in the portal are interested in IU. In fact, I've seen no reciprocal interest toward IU from any of the 25 or so other porterers who have been contacted. Let us know if you've seen otherwise.

Perkins would probably be about 5-6 PG on most of those lists. There are 3-4 different lists, but Perkins and Hatfield seem generally to be in the 30s, and Hickman and Walker in the 70s (or so).

One thing about Perkins and Galloway----their assist #s were both dramatically better last year than in previous years. And both had tolerable TO #s. I know neither are above average shooters, but Perkins has been 33%/75% or so most of his career on 3s/FT, and very slightly under 50% on 2s. Galloway has been 55% + on 2s. If he could shoot 33%/65% on 3s/FTs, they could be very good together, if we can find another shooter. In any event, it's starting to look like a class of Perkins/Hickman/Hatfield & Walker is our best case scenario.

By all accounts the guy who posted the stuff on the Yale guy is super super sketchy and sounds like a clown from what somebody on here said the other day. I dont hink the Yale guy is even looking at us so that tells you how informed he is

If by some miracle Woody would’ve pulled off getting Knecht, he would have totally misused him. Have him in the Kopp role of “go stand in the corner and we’ll get you 4-5 shots a game from there.”

If by some miracle Woody would’ve pulled off getting Knecht, he would have totally misused him. Have him in the Kopp role of “go stand in the corner and we’ll get you 4-5 shots a game from there.”
He would have probably used him just like he did JHS and TG. If anyone misused him it was Barnes.. by playing him off the ball as much as he did. DKs efficiency rate on ball screen action was in the 2 to 4%, fwiw Barnes had him stand in the corner quite a bit also, because getting threes from a stand still shooter in the corner is the most efficient play in basketball .. but you wouldn't know that because you're talking out of your ass.

fwiw - there's enough wrong with the team, program, season etc ... actually wrong, without having to make up stupid shit or bleat lame ass witless jokes. No one likes chronic complainers ... and some of you need giant super absorbent plugs ..

Kopp avg 4 attempts per game, DK avg 6 ... but it has nothing to do with the offense ran and everything to do with the player. DK can shoot off the bounce. Kopp couldn't. DK can shoot off the cut ie moving. Kopp couldn't. DK can shoot in transition, he has great brakes.. stops on a dime and maintains balance. Kopp didn't he drifted. Kopp was a stand still shooter .. Plus DK has the ability to blow by people, meaning he faced less hard close outs.. Kopp ... couldn't.

All of those advantages and Knecht only managed 2 more 3 attempts per game.. What you dumbasses don't get is that Kopp getting 4 per game standing in the corner wasn't a negative ...

Last edited:
He would have probably used him just like he did JHS and TG. If anyone misused him it was Barnes.. by playing him off the ball as much as he did. DKs efficiency rate on ball screen action was in the 2 to 4%, fwiw Barnes had him stand in the corner quite a bit also, because getting threes from a stand still shooter in the corner is the most efficient play in basketball .. but you wouldn't know that because you're talking out of your ass.

fwiw - there's enough wrong with the team, program, season etc ... actually wrong, without having to make up stupid shit or bleat lame ass witless jokes. No one likes chronic complainers ... and some of you need giant super absorbent plugs ..

Kopp avg 4 attempts per game, DK avg 6 ... but it has nothing to do with the offense ran and everything to do with the player. DK can shoot off the bounce. Kopp couldn't. DK can shoot off the cut ie moving. Kopp couldn't. DK can shoot in transition, he has great brakes.. stops on a dime and maintains balance. Kopp didn't he drifted. Kopp was a stand still shooter .. Plus DK has the ability to blow by people, meaning he faced less hard close outs.. Kopp ... couldn't.

All of those advantages and Knecht only managed 2 more 3 attempts per game.. What you dumbasses don't get is that Kopp getting 4 per game standing in the corner wasn't a negative ...
Go get ‘em big dog! 😂😂

Dumb.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01

JHS may have had different usage had X not gone down. That certainly opened up more PT, and while he was probably penciled in as a second primary ball handler coming into the season, the injury forced MW to rely on his ball handling more, and gave him more opportunities to showcase his ability to create off the dribble.

Also some whiffs of smoke of IU interest in Myles Rice of Washington State, a freshman this year who I believe was all-Pac 12.....
I like this kid Rice. Steals. High minutes. Hits free throws. Scores. Sounds clutch to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT