ADVERTISEMENT

Joe and Condoleezza

So ... I guess the question is is there more votes by moving further left to “charge the base” or is there more votes by forming a bridge to the moderates who may have some concerns with a further move to the left?

Well...the top of the Dem ticket is pretty far right within the party, so I'd be surprised if the party chose to pull further right on the V.P. slot. Biden is an extremely centrist nominee, so I'm skeptical that someone who thought Biden was too far left is someone who wouldn't find another excuse to not vote for a Biden-Rice ticket. IMHO, it would cost more votes than it would gain.

Reactions: brianiu and IUAPEX
I first began hearing this combo a little over a month ago ... and have now started to see more articles surfacing suggesting this match.

In my opinion this would make for a strong ticket as her experience and intellect would be a strength; she also would have the capacity to bridge the moderate vote. Frankly the “left” is not going to vote for Trump regardless of who Biden chooses ... this would mobilize more of the moderate vote in Joe’s favor. Personally, she demonstrates far more capacity to run the country than the other names who have been floating about.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/501685-joe-bidens-ideal-vp-is-condoleezza-rice

Curious on the board’s thoughts on this possibility.
Joe and Susan Rice are a more likely combination on the ticket.

I'd guess a good part of the speculation about Condoleezza is based on the mere fact that Susan and Condoleezza have the same last name . . . .

Reactions: TommyCracker
Joe and Susan Rice are a more likely combination on the ticket.

I'd guess a good part of the speculation about Condoleezza is based on the mere fact that Susan and Condoleezza have the same last name . . . .
The Condi talk (if it's true, I've not heard it myself) is silly. Can't be more than some fantasy for Never Trumper Republicans. Susan Rice talk I've heard, but I don't put much stock in it.

That said, I think a place for both in the administration would be great, somewhere among State/Defense/UN/NSC.

Reactions: Circlejoe
The Condi talk (if it's true, I've not heard it myself) is silly. Can't be more than some fantasy for Never Trumper Republicans. Susan Rice talk I've heard, but I don't put much stock in it.

That said, I think a place for both in the administration would be great, somewhere among State/Defense/UN/NSC.

I had heard it (did not put much stock in it) ... posted one article, here are two more:

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/2020/06/15/letter-biden-rice-ticket/

https://www.ocregister.com/what-if-joe-biden-chose-a-republican-to-be-his-vice-president

I think it's down to two VP options, Susan Rice and Harris. Both are highly qualified and would strengthen the ticket. I prefer Rice for her foreign policy chops, but Harris is also impressive.

Reactions: MrBing
I think it's down to two VP options, Susan Rice and Harris. Both are highly qualified and would strengthen the ticket. I prefer Rice for her foreign policy chops, but Harris is also impressive.
Which one would make a better president if the need came?

Which one would make a better candidate in 2024?

Reactions: Circlejoe
Dr. Crazy , can you tell me specifics about Joe’s cognitive decline? What did you see during your observations and testing to come to that conclusion? Did you join the gang that thought Hillary was on her deathbed? Do you have similar concerns about Trump’s mental faculties?
He's repeating the propaganda like a trained parrot.

I don't know that Rice has any political ambitions. The VP needs to be ready and willing to be the standard bearer in 2024. Besides, we all know VPs don't really have much influence. Rice would have much more influence in a position at State/Defense/UN/NSC. I think she's much more comfortable with policy than politics.

For those white male working class voters, Condi (intellectual and semi career politician/diplomat) comes off too much like a Hillary.

I don't know that Rice has any political ambitions. The VP needs to be ready and willing to be the standard bearer in 2024. Besides, we all know VPs don't really have much influence. Rice would have much more influence in a position at State/Defense/UN/NSC. I think she's much more comfortable with policy than politics.
Yeah, but in a post-Trump world having someone with Rice's foreign policy chops as VP would be a real advantage for a Biden administration . . .

. . . I've thought for a long time that a VP pretty much undercuts any presidential aspirations they might have by signing on as someone else's No. 2. If Rice does have presidential aspirations, then coming into a presidential campaign without the baggage of a one-term president might be beneficial. OTOH, if she doesn't have presidential ambitions, having Rice serve as the VP nominee for Biden and then for whoever the candidate is in 2024 would provide nice continuity, particularly regarding foreign policy.

Reactions: IUAPEX
Yeah, but in a post-Trump world having someone with Rice's foreign policy chops as VP would be a real advantage for a Biden administration . . .

. . . I've thought for a long time that a VP pretty much undercuts any presidential aspirations they might have by signing on as someone else's No. 2. If Rice does have presidential aspirations, then coming into a presidential campaign without the baggage of a one-term president might be beneficial. OTOH, if she doesn't have presidential ambitions, having Rice serve as the VP nominee for Biden and then for whoever the candidate is in 2024 would provide nice continuity, particularly regarding foreign policy.
The scenario you are outlining is unprecedented. NTTAWWT.

As a Pete guy, I'd love for it to be Rice because she was one of his most vocal supporters of his campaign.

If Biden wins and she ran in 2024 (I do believe that Biden has two jobs, beat Trump and reset the political table for its future leaders).

So if she ran in 2024 I'm confident Pete would be a big part of it. If she didn't run then everyone starts at zero and I like his chances.

So I'm personally pulling for Rice but would not be offended by any of the supposed VP candidates except maybe Abrams.

Just curious.
Did you say the same thing when Reagan was running for the second term?

Lol, no. I was playing with GI Joe and Transformers when Reagan was running for his second term. (I was 5 years old)

(Insert "Man you are old" joke here). :D

I first began hearing this combo a little over a month ago ... and have now started to see more articles surfacing suggesting this match.

In my opinion this would make for a strong ticket as her experience and intellect would be a strength; she also would have the capacity to bridge the moderate vote. Frankly the “left” is not going to vote for Trump regardless of who Biden chooses ... this would mobilize more of the moderate vote in Joe’s favor. Personally, she demonstrates far more capacity to run the country than the other names who have been floating about.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/501685-joe-bidens-ideal-vp-is-condoleezza-rice

Curious on the board’s thoughts on this possibility.

those running the DNC would prefer a Reagan and Dick Cheney ticket, but would see this as about as close to that as they could hope for.

i'm sure they could've talked Ron and Dick into throwing a few social crumbs to the woke and blacks, to get what they really want.

that said, the DNC will go with the farthest right economically, who they think they can sell to the social liberals.

and if they can't find someone far enough right wing economically who will be more than glad to do Wall St's bidding for them, who still appeals to social dems, then they will pick someone they don't think could win actually heading the ticket, but will bring what Joe doesn't to 2020..

those running the DNC would prefer a Reagan and Dick Cheney ticket, but would see this as about as close to that as they could hope for.

i'm sure they could've talked Ron and Dick into throwing a few social crumbs to the woke and blacks, to get what they really want.

that said, the DNC will go with the farthest right economically, who they think they can sell to the social liberals.

and if they can't find someone far enough right wing economically who will be more than glad to do Wall St's bidding for them, who still appeals to social dems, then they will pick someone they don't think could win actually heading the ticket, but will bring what Joe doesn't to 2020..

IGW, when will you realize the DNC and grassroots political organizations which were once the backbone of it's power are relics of the past?

The self promoter Donald Trump who never sucked up to political organizations such as the DNC or RNC is proof of my point.

His rise to power goes to appealing to the right people in the right places (think electoral elections) without the power players and finances which most political consultants considered important.

Was it a one time fluke? Only time will tell.

Kamala angry? I don’t see that. I usually see her out dancing and singing and being happy. Now when she is working and questioning and debating she does her job. But I certainly haven’t seen Lindsay Graham or Kavanaugh frothing at the mouth type of anger.

Black men/women = angry

If anything she ain't angry/aggressive enough in my books. She lost me a bit when she was trying to play both sides of the argument.

Duckworth is getting some buzz now.

Could Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth’s remarkable life story help make her Joe Biden’s pick for vice president?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/elec...0200630-a42ifs4ybfbcngh7zz4lj7irku-story.html

Just wait.... the Trump folks will start spreading a story about how a one-legged person cannot hold office at the WH. Unfit physically in this case.

And Joe being unfit mentally.

TenderDistinctIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

As a Pete guy, I'd love for it to be Rice because she was one of his most vocal supporters of his campaign.

If Biden wins and she ran in 2024 (I do believe that Biden has two jobs, beat Trump and reset the political table for its future leaders).

So if she ran in 2024 I'm confident Pete would be a big part of it. If she didn't run then everyone starts at zero and I like his chances.

So I'm personally pulling for Rice but would not be offended by any of the supposed VP candidates except maybe Abrams.

Pete needs to put in a visual and vocal position if/when Biden's elected because he had quite a following. I totally support what you're saying.

And speaking of Pete..

Reactions: TommyCracker
The idea that Biden would or should pick a Republican is just hilarious. Should Trump dump Pence for Doug Jones? Of course not. There are always more votes in the base to protect than there are in the middle up for grabs.

Party-switching in presidential elections is somberly predictable. About 4 or 5% of self-identified Democrats voted for Trump, just as they did for Romney, McCain, etc., and about 4 or 5% of self-identified Republicans voted for Hillary, just as they did for Obama. Any extra beyond that, if Biden is going to steal them, he's going to do it because Trump is Trump, not because X is his running-mate. And the truth is, when the dust settles, it will probably again only be 4 or 5%. Picking a Republican as the Veep won't gain him anything.

But it will lose him plenty. Lots of liberals simply stay home or protest vote if he goes that route. Biden's voters are demanding four attributes for his running-mate: Democrat, woman, black, liberal. He's probably not going to hit all four. There isn't a whole lot of overlap between black and liberal, and that's the main reason Warren is still in this thing, and there's so much consternation over the eventual choice. If Warren were black, she'd already be announced, just as Harris would be if she were a darling of the left.

But he's gotta hit three of them, at least. Whether he goes black or liberal, he'd better pick a female Democrat. No getting away from that.

The idea that Biden would or should pick a Republican is just hilarious. Should Trump dump Pence for Doug Jones? Of course not. There are always more votes in the base to protect than there are in the middle up for grabs.

Party-switching in presidential elections is somberly predictable. About 4 or 5% of self-identified Democrats voted for Trump, just as they did for Romney, McCain, etc., and about 4 or 5% of self-identified Republicans voted for Hillary, just as they did for Obama. Any extra beyond that, if Biden is going to steal them, he's going to do it because Trump is Trump, not because X is his running-mate. And the truth is, when the dust settles, it will probably again only be 4 or 5%. Picking a Republican as the Veep won't gain him anything.

But it will lose him plenty. Lots of liberals simply stay home or protest vote if he goes that route. Biden's voters are demanding four attributes for his running-mate: Democrat, woman, black, liberal. He's probably not going to hit all four. There isn't a whole lot of overlap between black and liberal, and that's the main reason Warren is still in this thing, and there's so much consternation over the eventual choice. If Warren were black, she'd already be announced, just as Harris would be if she were a darling of the left.

But he's gotta hit three of them, at least. Whether he goes black or liberal, he'd better pick a female Democrat. No getting away from that.

This is spot on. I don’t remember where, but I read a couple of months ago that the Biden campaign was struggling between picking a black female (Harris) to reward their loyalty and turning out the black vote that was down in 2016, versus picking a liberal (Warren) to unite the moderate and liberal wings of the party. That’s where the campaign still seems to be, trying to determine which path to take.

All these other names being thrown about is typical window dressing and giving people like Bottoms and Demings a higher profile for their potential governors races in a couple of years. I believe several VP candidates are looked at and vetted just to be thorough and have all the bases covered, but I think there were always only three serious VP candidates-Harris, Klobuchar, and Warren. And yes, it is ridiculous to think Biden would consider selecting any republican, but that noise happens almost every presidential election.

I think there’s a fifth attribute that Biden takes very seriously-qualified to be President from day one. Stacey Abrams covered the four attributes, but doesn’t have the experience. If she had won that governor’s race two years ago, she’d be the front runner now and wouldn’t have had to beg for the nod.

Last edited:
That is the stupidest thing I've ever read. I've seen Biden interviews and speeches and he's the same Joe Biden I've seen over the last few years. Right wing idiots tried this same bullshit with Hillary Clinton in 2016.

This is Biden's Q&A yesterday:

If this is Biden in cognitive decline, I'll take Biden with cognitive decline x 10 over Trump.

Given Biden's questionable health (cognitive decline), would the Democrats really risk having a Republican as the heir apparent?

I think Biden's VP pick is the most likely VP to have to take over for a President in my lifetime.

Last edited:

I agree except for Warren.

One hand she's a democratic senator with a republican governor. That's got to be one hell of a sell on her part.

Two while she considers herself more progressive, she burned bridges with Bernie with the whole 'Bernie said a woman couldn't be president' drama.

Bernie Bros, at least on Twitter, hate her to the core and say she's a vindictive, back stabbing fraud. They used snake emojiis for her. My point, Twitter isn't real life but her as VP doesn't bring Bernie over...it might even offend them.

At the end of the day I would be stunned if it's not a woman of color.

So probably Kamala or Susan Rice. Val being a longshot.

Reactions: IUAPEX and Tacoll
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT