ADVERTISEMENT

Water Cooler Book Club

are You thinking an upper age limit? Otherwise I’m in.

However, books must be available on Kindle.

I prefer books post 1900. That old shit seems too much like school.

One of my favorites: Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

My favorite Clancy is Without Remorse. Red October is a classic though.

Favorite genre is history or historical fiction. Killer Angles is terrific.
Of course no age limit. Re Kindle, I don't think that's a problem.

I love books about math. Was that author riffing off of the great historical fiction about the Battle of Gettysburg? :)

Tangent sorta related to Kindle.

I'm considering purchasing a Remarkable 2 b/c I hate trying to type notes while in a virtual meeting (I have several each week if you haven't heard) and doing it in person is even more annoying.

Has anybody tried one. I've heard it's an exceptional reader as well. Intersted in teh ability to convert to text (that's not a deal breaker if it doesn't perform well at that). Confirmed with my company I can move things to/from as well without getting in trouble with Info Sec.

Just a wild toss out there as I'm finding the Youtube reviews to be 80/20 in favor (but the 20 are strongly against).

Tangent sorta related to Kindle.

I'm considering purchasing a Remarkable 2 b/c I hate trying to type notes while in a virtual meeting (I have several each week if you haven't heard) and doing it in person is even more annoying.

Has anybody tried one. I've heard it's an exceptional reader as well. Intersted in teh ability to convert to text (that's not a deal breaker if it doesn't perform well at that). Confirmed with my company I can move things to/from as well without getting in trouble with Info Sec.

Just a wild toss out there as I'm finding the Youtube reviews to be 80/20 in favor (but the 20 are strongly against).
My brother from another mother: I just recently purchased a Boox Onyx Note Air 3. I spent weeks researching each e-ink device.

I found this guy the most helpful:

My brother from another mother: I just recently purchased a Boox Onyx Note Air 3. I spent weeks researching each e-ink device.

I found this guy the most helpful:

I use mine now for a digital daily planner that I can handwrite in; handwritten notes (with the ability to search handwriting and convert to text if you want); Master To-do list; reading and editing PDFs; and you can use it to email if you want, type up word docs, and use as a Kindle reader.

Basically everything you can do on an android phone, you can do here along with handwritten notes.

Remarkables are great to write on, but sending what you've done, or accessing it from another device are clunky operations and you can't use it as a Kindle reader.

I use mine now for a digital daily planner that I can handwrite in; handwritten notes (with the ability to search handwriting and convert to text if you want); Master To-do list; reading and editing PDFs; and you can use it to email if you want, type up word docs, and use as a Kindle reader.

Basically everything you can do on an android phone, you can do here along with handwritten notes.

Remarkables are great to write on, but sending what you've done, or accessing it from another device are clunky operations and you can't use it as a Kindle reader.
Android. Ouch. If you send one of those green texts forget getting a date

Kindle Scribe is out
I'm an iPhone guy so completely unfamiliar with Android. I assume it's not that difficlut to navigate.

The extra steps involved in using the Remarkable are the main downside I've seen but it feels like they are working on that and making moving things from one device to another more seamless.

Assuming the Note Air 3 CAN be used a Kindle reader?

Maybe not. I have physical stacks of books all over my bedroom (wife hates it) and on my kindle.

That’s kinda the point of this: incentive to get reading again.

I'm not sure it would be enough incentive for me. I do think it's a great idea though. Maybe we could meet quarterly at 3UP for Murt's sake?

Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was required reading for the one English class I took at IU. I can still remember how to spell Chautauqua without looking it up.

I had a hard time getting into Clancy.

Killer Angels is a fantastic book and I think his time in the service helped him tell that story. For Love of the Game is great, especially if you're a baseball fan.

The Jack Reacher series on Amazon has led me to start reading Lee Child. I appreciate the way he writes those and keeps the Reacher character consistent.

Edit- What about alternative historical fiction? Guns of the South was one that I enjoyed.

Kindle Scribe is out
I'm an iPhone guy so completely unfamiliar with Android. I assume it's not that difficlut to navigate.

The extra steps involved in using the Remarkable are the main downside I've seen but it feels like they are working on that and making moving things from one device to another more seamless.

Assuming the Note Air 3 CAN be used a Kindle reader?
Yep, any app you can think of that works on an iPhone also works on Android. So you just install the Kindle App and there you go.

I can transfer PDFs of my notes from the device to Google Drive or OneDrive. It has a learning curve, though.

I'm not sure it would be enough incentive for me. I do think it's a great idea though. Maybe we could meet quarterly at 3UP for Murt's sake?

Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was required reading for the one English class I took at IU. I can still remember how to spell Chautauqua without looking it up.

I had a hard time getting into Clancy.

Killer Angels is a fantastic book and I think his time in the service helped him tell that story. For Love of the Game is great, especially if you're a baseball fan.

The Jack Reacher series on Amazon has led me to start reading Lee Child. I appreciate the way he writes those and keeps the Reacher character consistent.

Edit- What about alternative historical fiction? Guns of the South was one that I enjoyed.
'Empire of The Summer Moon' by S. C. Gwynn
Scribner
Amazon Kindle $13.99

Paperback $15.22

I don't get it. I like Hemingway. I always imagined this might be the motto of the Dream Team:

“The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.”​

― Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
The reason I don't "read" is shit like this. That is 2 sentences. Explaining that some good die young, but the rest live a long time just to die anyway. Resistance is futile. You gonna die. ...

And the way it's all put together, I need to send 30 minutes dissecting it, mentally, that achieve NOT A GD THING for anyone.

Why is this a good thing for anyone? WHY?
What if we ALL spent 30 minutes growing food. Neutering the female'ish democrats. Wouldn't that be much more transformative for the human race?
Ya know, feed them and stop the stupid from reproducing. Kinda sounds like natural selection.
OR, we can read, knit and watch people starve.

Listen, I'm being serious.. (wow doesn't biden say that alot??)
Many get personal pleasure from living inside a book thy are reading. .... But couldn't their efforts be much better used helping others?
Maybe a "wax goats dolphin" meeting. I've not touched another penis in years, but the last one I did..... It was getting a catheter shoved down it's "throat", with prejudice, working to get past the inflamed prostate.

I actually think I could enjoy giving goat a clean wax job, now that I am older and DGAF. As long as it hurts him or course. (pains just another form of understanding life goat). Just sayin. :)

The reason I don't "read" is shit like this. That is 2 sentences. Explaining that some good die young, but the rest live a long time just to die anyway. Resistance is futile. You gonna die. ...

And the way it's all put together, I need to send 30 minutes dissecting it, mentally, that achieve NOT A GD THING for anyone.

What if we ALL spent 30 minutes growing food. Neutering the female'ish democrats. Wouldn't that be much more transformative for the human race?
Ya know, feed them and stop the stupid from reproducing. Kinda sounds like natural selection.

Many get personal pleasure from living inside a book thy are reading. .... But couldn't their efforts be much better used helping others?
Maybe a "wax goats dolphin" meeting. I've not touched another penis in years, but the last one I did..... It was getting a catheter shoved down it's "throat", with prejudice, working to get past the inflamed prostate.

I actually think I could enjoy giving goat a clean wax job, now that I am older and DGAF. As long as it hurts him or course. (pains just another form of understanding life goat). Just sayin. :)
So you’re not invited . . .

'Empire of The Summer Moon' by S. C. Gwynn
Scribner
Amazon Kindle $13.99

Paperback $15.22
That's on the list, but not started. I read Rebel Yell over a few days on a solo canoe trip in the BWCA and loved it.

Canterbury Tales
Brave New World
Animal Farm
Catch-22
Lord of the Flies
Heart of Darkness
Call of the Wild
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

plus several more. These are just the one's I've read of course. Agree on Hemingway. Never got into it myself. I've tried Ulysses enough times to know Im not ever going to actually read it.

Possibly.

that's PANTS OFF. FIFY.
I took a class on James Joyce at IU, and Ulysses took most of the class. We had to get a separate book called Ulysses Annotated that is basically a Ulysses encyclopedia and explains the allusions, events, vocabulary, etc.: it was very helpful. It is definitely worth the effort, and there is a reason it is always ranked as the #1 work of fiction.

In Our Time is a collection of related Hemingway short stories, and there's some really good stuff in there. Fly fishing for brookies in the UP.

Does it get any better than the Quentin section of The Sound and the Fury, Simon's seizure passion in The Lord of the Flies, or the end of Brave New World?

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
I think Bulk wants to make sure everyone drinks a lot at these meetings.
So What 80S GIF by Warner Archive

Did you turn off your ability to receive direct messages? If so, turn it back on.

It would really come down to the size of the print and amount of pictures for me.

Honestly, I've got a stack of books on my virtual nightstand that I've started but not finished. I think the Kindle started off as the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it has devolved into something that belies the actual number of books I've given up on and quit reading. If they were all physical books that I had to stare at every night before bed, I'd be a lot more diligent about finishing them. Out of sight, out of mind though.
I have a huge moral dilemma starting books and not finishing them. I keep thinking it will get better. Can probably count on both hands the number of books I haven’t finished. But I’m a big reader, 70 books or so a year. Enjoy listening to them in car and when working out too.

Obtuse or Acute Angles? 😎 I like that one too.

Reactions: BradStevens

Ooh Joe, this explains so much. There is not a better way in the world ( except for maybe travel) to get outside your bubble and learn about the world. My main goal as a teacher was to get kids to enjoy reading. I would go to the ends of the earth to find books that interested them. Now I’m on Goodreads with several of my former students and nothing makes me happier than sharing book reviews with them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT