ADVERTISEMENT

Joe and Condoleezza

IUAPEX

Senior
Jan 26, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I first began hearing this combo a little over a month ago ... and have now started to see more articles surfacing suggesting this match.

In my opinion this would make for a strong ticket as her experience and intellect would be a strength; she also would have the capacity to bridge the moderate vote. Frankly the “left” is not going to vote for Trump regardless of who Biden chooses ... this would mobilize more of the moderate vote in Joe’s favor. Personally, she demonstrates far more capacity to run the country than the other names who have been floating about.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/501685-joe-bidens-ideal-vp-is-condoleezza-rice

Curious on the board’s thoughts on this possibility.

Reactions: cosmickid
I think a lot of progressives would stay home. Now would they lose more votes than they might gain, I do not know. At least for president. But down ballot, Aloha and Twenty are voting GOP down ballot even with Rice. But progressives probably vote Democratic down ballot.

Due to age, Biden may not make it 4 years. The risk of giving the presidency to Rice will not be popular with progressives. It also means in 4 years, no Democratic nominee will have the power of the incumbency.

This is the thing that sounds good in political theory classes, less in real life.

I honestly have no idea if this is a likely ticket - and I’m still not sure if either party is willing to accept a duel party ticket. That said, I’d have to think the Bush Republicans who secretly voted for Trump and aren’t racist a-holes would jump on board mostly.

This would essentially whittle Trump’s voting block down to the most ardent, hardcore, ignorant white supremacists.

Reactions: IUAPEX and Bill4411
I think the Democratic Party should choose a running mate from the vast number of qualified candidates within our own party. Kamala Harris is every bit as talented and accomplished as Condi Rice.

Just my humble opinion.

I first began hearing this combo a little over a month ago ... and have now started to see more articles surfacing suggesting this match.

In my opinion this would make for a strong ticket as her experience and intellect would be a strength; she also would have the capacity to bridge the moderate vote. Frankly the “left” is not going to vote for Trump regardless of who Biden chooses ... this would mobilize more of the moderate vote in Joe’s favor. Personally, she demonstrates far more capacity to run the country than the other names who have been floating about.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/501685-joe-bidens-ideal-vp-is-condoleezza-rice

I think the Democratic Party should choose a running mate from the vast number of qualified candidates within our own party. Kamala Harris is every bit as talented and accomplished as Condi Rice.

Just my humble opinion.
Only one of those is a member at Augusta National.

Given Biden's questionable health (cognitive decline), would the Democrats really risk having a Republican as the heir apparent?

I think Biden's VP pick is the most likely VP to have to take over for a President in my lifetime.

Reactions: All4You
Flip the ticket and I’d vote for it

Biden is dumb so he’s gonna pick some idiot like Harris or the hag in Michigan or that fat walrus down in Georgia

Given Biden's questionable health (cognitive decline), would the Democrats really risk having a Republican as the heir apparent?

I think Biden's VP pick is the most likely VP to have to take over for a President in my lifetime.
Dr. Crazy , can you tell me specifics about Joe’s cognitive decline? What did you see during your observations and testing to come to that conclusion? Did you join the gang that thought Hillary was on her deathbed? Do you have similar concerns about Trump’s mental faculties?

Flip the ticket and I’d vote for it

Biden is dumb so he’s gonna pick some idiot like Harris or the hag in Michigan or that fat walrus down in Georgia
You’re pathetic . You talk about women just like Trump. No wonder you like him. Biden is anything but dumb.

I’ve seen a few of these articles, but not many. It would makes his party angry. You think Trump should pick Nancy? That’s not the way to motivate your base to get out for you. My money is on Kamala.

Dr. Crazy , can you tell me specifics about Joe’s cognitive decline? What did you see during your observations and testing to come to that conclusion? Did you join the gang that thought Hillary was on her deathbed? Do you have similar concerns about Trump’s mental faculties?

Zeke, if you want to pull up video of VP candidate Biden and compare it to Presidential candidate Biden and tell me that he is the same guy cognitively, go ahead.

38% of the country currently believes he has early onset of dementia and many in his party are happy to keep him locked in a basement to avoid having to speak to people. There is a reason for that.

So I am asking you, as a Democrat, how comfortable are you having Condi Rice as a VP pick. If you had to lay odds, what do you think the odds are of Biden having to be replaced by his VP during his 1st term?

If re-elected, I think Trump's VP pick is clearly the most likely VP to have to take over for a President in my lifetime.

There are many paths to it: continued downward spiral of his mental abilities leading to an Amendment 25 action, removal for still more criminal behavior, resigning due to poor food service in his bunker, among other plausible scenarios.

If re-elected, I think Trump's VP pick is clearly the most likely VP to have to take over for a President in my lifetime.

There are many paths to it: continued downward spiral of his mental abilities leading to an Amendment 25 action, removal for still more criminal behavior, resigning due to poor food service in his bunker, among other plausible scenarios.

Fine, I am not interested in turning this into another Trump thread. For that reason, Trump is number 1 and Biden is next most likely for the sake of getting you all off of your defensive bullshit around this topic. If Trump is number 1 most likely to be replaced, I am fine with Pence. Would you be fine with Rice, a Republican, being in line as #2.

Reactions: All4You
I’ve seen a few of these articles, but not many. It would makes his party angry. You think Trump should pick Nancy? That’s not the way to motivate your base to get out for you. My money is on Kamala.

My wife and mother in law both despise Trump but absolutely loathe Kamala. She's way too angry according to them. Klobachar was the smart choice.

I would not be shocked if Trump drops out of the race or even resigns prior to November. He can't stand losing, so he'll make up some lame excuse.

If Trump is number 1 most likely to be replaced, I am fine with Pence. Would you be fine with Rice, a Republican, being in line as #2.

Though she would be an enormous upgrade over the current president due to her high intelligence and coolness under pressure, I think it would be a big mistake in Biden's part to add a Republican to the ticket. It would erode enthusiasm from his base and keep too many on the Warren/ Sanders side of the party unmotivated and unhelpful in driving the huge voter turnout necessary to end this national nightmare.

I think a lot of progressives would stay home. Now would they lose more votes than they might gain, I do not know. At least for president. But down ballot, Aloha and Twenty are voting GOP down ballot even with Rice. But progressives probably vote Democratic down ballot.

Due to age, Biden may not make it 4 years. The risk of giving the presidency to Rice will not be popular with progressives. It also means in 4 years, no Democratic nominee will have the power of the incumbency.

This is the thing that sounds good in political theory classes, less in real life.

I hear you, but as angry as they may be they are NOT voting for Trump. Kamala is a hard push to the left (more so than the Obama-Biden ticket) ... so choosing her could push moderates away.

As I thought about it, the “anything but Trump” crowd is growing and angry enough to turn out ... don’t see them “shrugging their shoulders” even if they don’t like the VP pick. But moderates may not have enough fire to turn out and this would bring them in.

It may make some angry ... agree ... but still see them voting for Biden. If the ticket moves further left is there enough votes to win?

It may make some angry ... agree ... but still see them voting for Biden.

I still see them voting for Biden as well, but I don't see them all working nights and weekends trying to get every last legal possible voter who wouldn't normally vote at all to also vote for Biden.

I'd be intrigued with that. I'm unconvinced Biden will take office in January even if he does win. The DNC has already said they will not have a convention, so Biden will not have the benefit of that. After the non-convention, I think it's even money that Biden will withdraw for health reasons and the DNC will hand pick a replacement. That won't be Condoleezza.

Reactions: IUAPEX
I still see them voting for Biden as well, but I don't see them all working nights and weekends trying to get every last legal possible voter who wouldn't normally vote at all to also vote for Biden.

So ... I guess the question is is there more votes by moving further left to “charge the base” or is there more votes by forming a bridge to the moderates who may have some concerns with a further move to the left?

If they were smart they would run someone else....unless they think trump can eviscerate Biden in a debate, which I believe is possible
You do understand that to "eviscerate" someone in a debate does not mean shouting your opponent down with stupid names, making asshole faces when the other person is talking, and outright lying, right?

You do understand that to "eviscerate" someone in a debate does not mean shouting your opponent down with stupid names, making asshole faces when the other person is talking, and outright lying, right?

Maybe it does maybe it doesn’t

You understand the debate won’t be won on policy debate and who makes the best argument?

For trump to eviscerate him he’ll just need to move faster than joe can, make him look weak get him stumbling over his words and forgetting where he is and trump wins the debate and maybe election

I'd love to see Condi Rice as Biden's running mate. Of course I'd feel much better about voting for Biden than I would be if he picks someone to his left in the Democratic party as his VP. I've heard Susan Rice as a possibility too. I could live with her, but of course I'd much prefer Condi. Condi isn't going to be picked because he'll pick a Democrat.

As for my vote down ballot, I'm not generally a straight ticket voter. When I was a Democrat I voted straight Democrat my first election (1980), for Reagan and probably all Democrats down ballot in 1984 (it was a while ago, but I can't remember voting for any Republicans other than Reagan). I split between GHW Bush and Democrats the first time and straight Republican his second run while I was still a Democrat but extremely PO'd at my party for the votes and rhetoric surrounding the first Gulf War and some other issues. I really respected GHW Bush as a pragmatic President willing to compromise to get things done for the country. He's very underrated. Since switching parties, I voted straight Republican in 1996, 2000 and 2004, but not since. Mostly Republican, sure, but not all Republican. I vote for what I think is best for the country and I won't vote for people I don't believe have integrity, honor, or the country's (or county's, city's, district's, state's) best interests at heart. I'm sure a few that didn't really pass that test got my vote, but at least that's how I saw them when I voted.

Zeke, if you want to pull up video of VP candidate Biden and compare it to Presidential candidate Biden and tell me that he is the same guy cognitively, go ahead.

38% of the country currently believes he has early onset of dementia and many in his party are happy to keep him locked in a basement to avoid having to speak to people. There is a reason for that.

So I am asking you, as a Democrat, how comfortable are you having Condi Rice as a VP pick. If you had to lay odds, what do you think the odds are of Biden having to be replaced by his VP during his 1st term?
I’d say the odds are much greater that Trump wouldn’t make it than Biden. Of course that’s the percentage of the country that thinks that. It’s all Trump and Fox News trumpets. Ask the same question if Trump. We all saw him stumble down the steps and not even control his arms. He has the vocabulary of a fifth grader. Listen to his earlier speeches. Let’s compare Joe Biden of now and Trump of now and see who we are most worried about. And you aren’t paying attention just because Biden isn’t having Covid rallies. He’s been out for a month. Now I have to go get a covete and hamberder.

Reactions: BigAppleHoosier
My wife and mother in law both despise Trump but absolutely loathe Kamala. She's way too angry according to them. Klobachar was the smart choice.
Kamala angry? I don’t see that. I usually see her out dancing and singing and being happy. Now when she is working and questioning and debating she does her job. But I certainly haven’t seen Lindsay Graham or Kavanaugh frothing at the mouth type of anger.

Reactions: baileyiu
I hear you, but as angry as they may be they are NOT voting for Trump. Kamala is a hard push to the left (more so than the Obama-Biden ticket) ... so choosing her could push moderates away.

As I thought about it, the “anything but Trump” crowd is growing and angry enough to turn out ... don’t see them “shrugging their shoulders” even if they don’t like the VP pick. But moderates may not have enough fire to turn out and this would bring them in.
The far left doesn’t like Kamala , they think she is too moderate. They like Warren.

Just curious.
Did you say the same thing when Reagan was running for the second term?

Reactions: BigAppleHoosier
I'd be intrigued with that. I'm unconvinced Biden will take office in January even if he does win. The DNC has already said they will not have a convention, so Biden will not have the benefit of that. After the non-convention, I think it's even money that Biden will withdraw for health reasons and the DNC will hand pick a replacement. That won't be Condoleezza.
Yep. You are now full on conspiracy theory crazy. Sure Biden is going to win and not take office. What is your evidence that Biden has health problems? The same people who told you that Hillary did? You’re really just embarrassing yourself now. Goodness.

Yep. You are now full on conspiracy theory crazy. Sure Biden is going to win and not take office. What is your evidence that Biden has health problems? The same people who told you that Hillary did? You’re really just embarrassing yourself now. Goodness.

the evidence is no more or less prominent than that of trump having health problems

Kamala angry? I don’t see that. I usually see her out dancing and singing and being happy. Now when she is working and questioning and debating she does her job. But I certainly haven’t seen Lindsay Graham or Kavanaugh frothing at the mouth type of anger.

I'm just telling you they can't stand her. They couldn't stand Carly Fiorina either.

I dont anticipate things getting so bad in the polls for trump that it becomes crystal clear that hes going to lose. Yet if it actually did devolve even further for him indicating he was absolutely going to lose, he would without a doubt take his ball and go home. Quitting and blaming it on something dem would be a certainty. He and his reputation are his only considerations.

You guys have the wrong Rice. Susan Rice is the one that is buzzing right now.

Klobuchar backed out of the vetting because she knew her Hennepin Co procecuting record was a major issue after the death of George Floyd.

Warren would cost a senate seat.

The most buzzworthy candidates right now are Kamala and Susan Rice.

It will be an African American female.

Joe can't take a chance on subduing AA support, hell it's why he's the nominee. Bottom line is if blacks turn out and vote in the general...fahgettabouit.

Since Biden got a larger African American turnout in the primaries than even Obama did...I believe AA are going to be motivated to vote this cycle.

Maybe it does maybe it doesn’t

You understand the debate won’t be won on policy debate and who makes the best argument?

For trump to eviscerate him he’ll just need to move faster than joe can, make him look weak get him stumbling over his words and forgetting where he is and trump wins the debate and maybe election

Who's moderating the debates... Hannity, Tucker and Ingraham?

You do understand that Trump has an actual record now and it will be the core of the debates which means he'll be playing defense (which he's not good at and gets easily frustrated with) VS offense.

Oh and Biden proved he's much better in one on one debates than large group debates as his last one with Bernie proved.

The debates won't be about policy, it will be about empathy.

All Joe has to do is come across as sincere, especially when Trump becomes defensive.

Look at Julian Castro's presidential campaign for how effective a strategy is to go after Biden and his age in a vicious way.

All he said was 'you can't remember what you said five minutes ago' and poof...Castro was done.

The over 60 vote used to be fairly strongly Trump. That has eroded a ton with his handling of the coronavirus (you know that thing that is killing the elderly). If he tries to go after Joe like a WWF wrestler on his age...that dropping sound you'll hear will be his over 60 polling.

Reactions: Rockfish1
Who's moderating the debates... Hannity, Tucker and Ingraham?

You do understand that Trump has an actual record now and it will be the core of the debates which means he'll be playing defense (which he's not good at and gets easily frustrated with) VS offense.

Oh and Biden proved he's much better in one on one debates than large group debates as his last one with Bernie proved.

The debates won't be about policy, it will be about empathy.

All Joe has to do is come across as sincere, especially when Trump becomes defensive.

Look at Julian Castro's presidential campaign for how effective a strategy is to go after Biden and his age in a vicious way.

All he said was 'you can't remember what you said five minutes ago' and poof...Castro was done.

The over 60 vote used to be fairly strongly Trump. That has eroded a ton with his handling of the coronavirus (you know that thing that is killing the elderly). If he tries to go after Joe like a WWF wrestler on his age...that dropping sound you'll hear will be his over 60 polling.

maybe among dems it’s about empathy....

ADVERTISEMENT