ADVERTISEMENT

IU Targets in the Portal Discussion Thread (UPDATED 4/25)

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
I'm all about the portal, but pretty crazy that the portal is open before the tournament even begins. Schools like Louisville get a huge advantage to host portal targets while schools in the postseason have to simultaneously prepare for games.

Hopefully the IU staff is working hard on this because you would assume we have at least 3 openings with the impending departures of TJD and JHS, and likely 4 if Logan is gone as everyone predicts. IMHO, we need at least 2 impact transfers, if not three. We need 2 guys who can score, at least one person who can play the 4/5, and at least one deadly shooter (regardless of position).

I'll keep a running list of the targets, and where they ended up. If someone else has already created such a thread, let me know and I'll delete this.

UPDATED SAT, 4/29/23

The latest that I can see:

COMMITTED TO IU
Payton Sparks, Ball State Big
- COMMITTED to IU

Kel’el Ware, Oregon 5
- committed to IU

Anthony Walker 4
- committed to IU

IU TARGETS

Tyrin Lawrence, Vanderbilt Wing
- originally from Georgia
- made big leap in 3 point %

Jordan Dingle, Penn 2
- dad played at UMass for Calipari, and played againt Kenya

COMMITTED ELSEWHERE
Kowacie Reeves, Florida 2
- COMMITTED TO GEORGIA TECH

Caleb Love, UNC 2
- COMMITTED to MICHIGAN

Jamison Battle, Minnesota 4
- COMMITTED TO OSU

Kadin Shedrick , UVA 5
- COMMITTED TO TEXAS

Micah Handlogten, Marshall 5
- COMMITTED TO FLORIDA

Nicholas Timberlake, Towson PG/SG
- COMMITTED TO KANSAS

Chris Ledlum, Harvard 3
- COMMITTED TO TENNESSEE

Dalton Knecht, Northern Colorado 2/3
- COMMITTED TO TENNESSEE

Cormac Ryan, Notre Dame 2
- COMMITTED TO UNC

Jalen DeLoach, VCU 5
- COMMITTED TO GEORGIA

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketo
I have an idea... IU could actually recruit high school kids and develop them over 4-5 years creating consistency throughout the program. What am I thinking... just nonsense.
Or IU could readily upgrade their roster every year in a variety of ways, how ever so they please. Glad our mercenaries were able to sweep your ass this year.

Also don't want to hear your bitching when your low ceiling, 4-5 year developmental players choke yet again in the tournament.

Last edited:
Jayden Taylor from Butler entered the portal yesterday. Perry Meridian grad was Butler's leading scorer this year. Not great but adequate 3 point shooter on a good number of attempts. Would fill the need as on off-ball scoring guard if Bates were to transfer.

Reactions: HillyardGates
Saw one of NDs top players, a shooting guard, maybe a former 5, star?, is going to Syracuse.

Or IU could readily upgrade their roster every year in a variety of ways, how ever so they please. Glad our mercenaries were able to sweep your ass this year.

Also don't want to hear your bitching when your low ceiling, 4-5 year developmental players choke yet again in the tournament.
You've beat Purdue 3 times in 6 years ... recently due to JHS, a player that you wrote a $250k check to that didn't win you a thing so far... and he's gone after this season. Purdue shit the bed last season... in the Sweet 16. How often has IU been to the Sweet 16 recently? My point, Woodson has to recruit and the IU program is too rich in history to go year-to-year through the portal.

Once the Covid years dry up, all you'll have is mid-major kids and kids that didn't work out at their specific school.

You've beat Purdue 3 times in 6 years ... recently due to JHS, a player that you wrote a $250k check to that didn't win you a thing so far... and he's gone after this season. Purdue shit the bed last season... in the Sweet 16. How often has IU been to the Sweet 16 recently? My point, Woodson has to recruit and the IU program is too rich in history to go year-to-year through the portal.

Once the Covid years dry up, all you'll have is mid-major kids and kids that didn't work out at their specific school.
Honest question.

How many IU fans are over on your board trolling like an embittered wannabe begging for affirmation and self esteem that will never come?

Yet eight or nine of you here at all times.

I'll hang up and listen.

I have an idea... IU could actually recruit high school kids and develop them over 4-5 years creating consistency throughout the program. What am I thinking... just nonsense.

Hmm. In business, would you prefer hiring a kid right out of HS to work for a company, or would you, in some instances, prefer someone how is older (perhaps out of grad school) who has a demonstrable work track record of doing things needed for your business?

Get off my lawn!

IU boosters will always have as much money as any team to pay players and we should be able to piece together one of the top 5 payrolls year in, year out.

Can a team that grows strictly through recruiting, player development and coaching contend with that?

It’s certainly one of the more intriguing questions.

PU has a young backcourt, and I’m guessing you guys lose early because of it. But, you won the league, and they will be a year older next year. How that contends against teams reloading with one and dones and transfers will be interesting.

Edit: I should add that if a team can beat the Kentucky model schools by recruiting, retaining, developing and coaching , it’s hard not to root for them. Just being able to keep players will be a challenge for those with low NIL. players get poached all of the time.

Last edited:
Saw one of NDs top players, a shooting guard, maybe a former 5, star?, is going to Syracuse.

JJ Starling is perhaps the the top guy in the portal thus far. He is a NY guy and yes, he just committed to Syracuse. Another school that has an advantage of being knocked out early.

Robby Carmody, a former IU target, announced he is also leaving ND. Another target by CAM that thankfully we missed out on.

Reactions: 4IUSox2

Woodson’s 3-1 against Purdue, JHS didn’t play on the team last year. Archie Miller has been scrubbed from memory and he’s not coming back, glad you got your kicks in. You’ve lost to North Texas and St. Peter’s in consecutive tournaments because their mid-major players were better than your mid-major players. Does Memphis make it 3/3?

Woodson’s 3-1 against Purdue, JHS didn’t play on the team last year. Archie Miller has been scrubbed from memory and he’s not coming back, glad you got your kicks in. You’ve lost to North Texas and St. Peter’s in consecutive tournaments because their mid-major players were better than your mid-major players. Does Memphis make it 3/3?

lol and what was Coach Geez doing when we lost to North Texas and St. Peter's? I'll fill you in. You were watching the game. Why? Because your team wasn't playing anymore or at all in the tournament. Just like the B10 tourney final on Sunday. Just like 2019 when Purdue won 3 games in the tourney. Just like 2018 when Purdue won 2 games and played 3 games in the NCAA tournament. Probably like in this year's tourney. For sure next season. IU should be happy advancing and winning in the 1st round since it hasn't happened since what, 2016? Thats seven years I believe. IU played great against Purdue this year, no doubt. Those wins were so meaningful to Purdue only a 3 games separated the teams from conference title instead of possibly 5 games. Damn.

Can't spell delusional without IU. Enjoy those beta memories though.

Reactions: PurdueSteve

The trade-off, though, is if guys like Banks and Gunn enter the portal because they're looking at more experienced guys coming in. Hard to tell frosh/sophs to wait your turn in that model.

IU boosters will always have as much money as any team to pay players and we should be able to piece together one of the top 5 payrolls year in, year out.

Can a team that grows strictly through recruiting, player development and coaching contend with that?

PU has a young backcourt, and I’m guessing you guys lose early because of it. But, you won the league, and they will be a year older next year. How that contends against teams reloading with one and dones and transfers will be interesting.

Edit: I should add that if a team can beat the Kentucky model schools by recruiting, retaining, developing and coaching , it’s hard not to root for them. Just being able to keep players will be a challenge for those with low NIL. players get poached all of the time.

this is way too good of a poster for this board

I have an idea: take your ideas to your board. And your idea is moronic, err, uh, ironic, in that PU has hit the portal as hard or harder than IU in recent years.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Mid-major players? As I recall, Purdue finished 1 game out of a tie for first place in the Big Ten last season. They finished 5 games ahead of IU and played each of the top teams twice so the "soft schedule" argument goes away. So if Purdue's players were mid-major class and seriously outperformed IU's, what does that say about the IU team?

Like it or not, Purdue was ranked, even for a short time, #1 in the country last year. They made the final game of the BTT. I get that you don't like Purdue. But to categorize them as you did is ignorant or foolish. And you refer to yourself as a "Coach"? That's hard to believe.

Reactions: PurdueSteve
Like it or not, Purdue was ranked, even for a short time, #1 in the country last year. They made the final game of the BTT. I get that you don't like Purdue. But to categorize them as you did is ignorant or foolish. And you refer to yourself as a "Coach"? That's hard to believe.
Outside their opening round game, Purdue will have the least talented backcourt of any potential opponent they play from there on out. That’s a losing formula in March. There’s 19 years of evidence that supports this. There’s a reason why Purdue struggles in March nearly every year.

lol and what was Coach Geez doing when we lost to North Texas and St. Peter's? I'll fill you in. You were watching the game. Why? Because your team wasn't playing anymore or at all in the tournament. Just like the B10 tourney final on Sunday. Just like 2019 when Purdue won 3 games in the tourney. Just like 2018 when Purdue won 2 games and played 3 games in the NCAA tournament. Probably like in this year's tourney. For sure next season. IU should be happy advancing and winning in the 1st round since it hasn't happened since what, 2016? Thats seven years I believe. IU played great against Purdue this year, no doubt. Those wins were so meaningful to Purdue only a 3 games separated the teams from conference title instead of possibly 5 games. Damn.

He’s back.

Red Gold cut you from 3rd shift?

Don’t speak too soon, Purdue still has time to shit the bed this weekend or next. In fact, historically speaking they are likely too!

So, why do you post an IU site?

tside their opening round game, Purdue will have the least talented backcourt of any potential opponent they play from there on out. That’s a losing formula in March. There’s 19 years of evidence that supports this. There’s a reason why Purdue struggles in March nearly every year.

Struggles in March, define that please. Is being one of FOUR teams in the NCAA to make the Sweet 16 and playing in the second week of the tourney the last FIVE years constitute struggling? Please enlighten. Man if that's the case more than 300 teams in D1 really struggling , right?

Struggles in March, define that please. Is being one of FOUR teams in the NCAA to make the Sweet 16 and playing in the second week of the tourney the last FIVE years constitute struggling? Please enlighten. Man if that's the case more than 300 teams in D1 really struggling , right?
You seem to be struggling with your computer. I didn't post that.

Monvalleys ignorance is top notch.

The '23 class has long been projected ashat weak sauce.

Getting a current soph or junior through the portal who have 2 years of eligibility remaining continues to strengthen the base of a program.

Guy seems salty PU doesn't have the NIL $ to attract or retain free agent talent.
What about 2024? The class isn't weak in the slightest. The midwest is loaded with recruits that would be a huge asset for IU. Hell, Indiana (state of) has multiple kids that fit that description. As for NIL money, Purdue does fine... Zach's NIL deal is strong (same as TJD received) and will triple if he decides to stay. Purdue has chosen to not pay kids prior to contributing to the program unless the money is equal to all team members or the athlete markets himself prior.

Reactions: Willdog7

Come on, mr potato head, you know very well that Purdue fans are thinking, “damn we just couldn’t beat IU regardless of winning the B1G.” And if you shit the bed early, which you know is big fear for you, those IU loses will loom large. 😂

• Love
What about 2024? The class isn't weak in the slightest. The midwest is loaded with recruits that would be a huge asset for IU. Hell, Indiana (state of) has multiple kids that fit that description. As for NIL money, Purdue does fine... Zach's NIL deal is strong (same as TJD received) and will triple if he decides to stay. Purdue has chosen to not pay kids prior to contributing to the program unless the money is equal to all team members or the athlete markets himself prior.
What about 2024? They're recruiting Flory extremely hard and sitting pretty with a few Montverde kids.

Come on, mr potato head, you know very well that Purdue fans are thinking, “damn we just couldn’t beat IU regardless of winning the B1G.” And if you shit the bed early, which you know is big fear for you, those IU loses will loom large. 😂

Lol ok. 9 game winning streak(wow that's a long time) was wonderful to experience. IU played well against Purdue. B10 conference(wait that's not important to win anymore is it?) winning was awesome and Sunday was just as great and confirmation of a great season. Maybe a little more substantial?????

Outside their opening round game, Purdue will have the least talented backcourt of any potential opponent they play from there on out. That’s a losing formula in March. There’s 19 years of evidence that supports this. There’s a reason why Purdue struggles in March nearly every year.
Funny how your analysis fails to recognize that two potential opponents considered likely by the experts analyzing the draw, Duke and Marquette, have already lost to Purdue earlier this season. So I fail to understand why that is not factored into your "losing formula." I guess the inferior backcourt was not as big a factor as you seem to think.

Funny how your analysis fails to recognize that two potential opponents considered likely by the experts analyzing the draw, Duke and Marquette, have already lost to Purdue earlier this season. So I fail to understand why that is not factored into your "losing formula." I guess the inferior backcourt was not as big a factor as you seem to think.
Duke and Marquette have steadily improved throughout the year, Purdue has plateaued at best.

Lol ok. 9 game winning streak(wow that's a long time) was wonderful to experience. IU played well against Purdue. B10 conference(wait that's not important to win anymore is it?) winning was awesome and Sunday was just as great and confirmation of a great season. Maybe a little more substantial?????
5 to 0, and 24 to 1.

Jayden Taylor from Butler entered the portal yesterday. Perry Meridian grad was Butler's leading scorer this year. Not great but adequate 3 point shooter on a good number of attempts. Would fill the need as on off-ball scoring guard if Bates were to transfer.
I'm gonna guess that Bates won't transfer. He strikes me as a guy to rise to a challenge rather than run from one.

I'm gonna also guess that Woody won't run him off. He was off the bench early enough to make me believe that Woody likes the kid's potential.

top 5 in big 10 or the country? as far as boosters. I would think your more elite schools like Standford and Duke would have richer boosters than IU . Now an advantage we do have our football sucks so bad so why pay anyone. basketball only takes 5 or 6 top end talents to make a difference.

I'm all about the portal, but pretty crazy that the portal is open before the tournament even begins. Schools like Louisville get a huge advantage to host portal targets while schools in the postseason have to simultaneously prepare for games.

Hopefully the IU staff is working hard on this because you would assume we have at least 3 openings with the impending departures of TJD and JHS, and likely 4 if Logan is gone as everyone predicts. IMHO, we need at least 2 impact transfers, if not three. We need 2 guys who can score, at least one person who can play the 4/5, and at least one deadly shooter (regardless of position).

I'll keep a running list of the targets, and where they ended up. If someone else has already created such a thread, let me know and I'll delete this.

Harvard's Chris Ledlum
Forward
6'6", 225 lbs
Senior
We need to work every angle with the portal being a big one, high school de-commits from coaching movements and re-classifications being another, and finally, can we please look overseas for an impact guy or two?

I think we know nothing on this board about what our players will do. But we know Kopp, TJD and Race are gone. They kinda play in the front court or wing (Kopp). We all think JHS is gone, but we may get X back next year and have two guards coming in via high school. Then we have a lot of speculation about Duncomb and Geronimo and Bates. If we lose those first two guys are front court on the block is one man and one man only - Malik.

Seems to me like we need some big bodies. There will be some in the portal, but maybe Queen will move to '23 and maybe Flory could do so as well - no idea. But you have to think if the staff believes that Duncomb and Geronimo are leaving that will we see a lot of talk around bigs.

Reactions: Icefan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT