ADVERTISEMENT

IU is a better team than last year

Face. Ass. They are interchangeable.
Jeebus. Just came here for some different perspective. However, it’s the same as it ever was. Unfortunately, the premie site is becoming infested with sh!t-talkers, too.

Guess it’s the internet tough guy anonymity infiltrating society, loss of civility, blah, blah, blah. Phuck.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Jeebus. Just came here for some different perspective. However, it’s the same as it ever was. Unfortunately, the premie site is becoming infested with sh!t-talkers, too.

Guess it’s the internet tough guy anonymity infiltrating society, loss of civility, blah, blah, blah. Phuck.

Hey. I asked a question. TMP decided to be a dick. He jumped in to be an ass. I didn't ask him anything. But he is always a dick and today, I decided to call him/her/it out on it. The beautiful thing about a msg board is you can skip posts like mine if you don't like it.

Hey. I asked a question. TMP decided to be a dick. He jumped in to be an ass. I didn't ask him anything. But he is always a dick and today, I decided to call him/her/it out on it. The beautiful thing about a msg board is you can skip posts like mine if you don't like it.
Don’t take it personal. It’s TMP’s love language. The one worded dumb posts really mean love. He just struggles with expressing his emotions to others.

when are the "recruit" games this summer? bwg

i'll let you know how good i think we'll be after i see some of these guys play.

and see how Gunn and MR and Banks look and how their shooting and handle is coming along.

i remember when IU actually promoted fball and bball, cared for it's fans, and wasn't so top secrete about everything and everyone.

man i miss those days.

the more money the coaches and administration gets, the bigger the middle finger they give to the fans.

that isn't opinion. it's observed fact.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Would you rather have Sparks or Race for next year? I am taking Sparks. Race had a tough go of it with injuries, but he just wasn't that good last year TBH. He had some games where he caught fire, but just was not a factor far too often to be a starting 4.

Why I ask is because Sparks will almost positively never start next year unless we just get F***** with injuries. And that aint happening damnit, we are due for a healthy season. Sparks will likely be a solid 7-8th man, him and Walker will battle for it I would imagine.

Even tho we lose TJD, we have a better front court. TJD was almost the player of the year!! He couldn't shoot..... Need to shoot to win big, everyone on the floor will have the green light this year from beyond the arc, and they all will be better shooters than JG, TJD and Race. The floor is gonna open a shit ton because of that.

X is gonna lead the B1G in assists.

Let's not jinx us so early!! ;)

We all claimed that last year's team would be one of the best in a decade and deep..... until one wheel fell out.

Let's hope they gell. Hopefully, Woodie manages to put their egos aside and make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Reactions: DANC
Would you rather have Sparks or Race for next year? I am taking Sparks. Race had a tough go of it with injuries, but he just wasn't that good last year TBH. He had some games where he caught fire, but just was not a factor far too often to be a starting 4.

Why I ask is because Sparks will almost positively never start next year unless we just get F***** with injuries. And that aint happening damnit, we are due for a healthy season. Sparks will likely be a solid 7-8th man, him and Walker will battle for it I would imagine.

Even tho we lose TJD, we have a better front court. TJD was almost the player of the year!! He couldn't shoot..... Need to shoot to win big, everyone on the floor will have the green light this year from beyond the arc, and they all will be better shooters than JG, TJD and Race. The floor is gonna open a shit ton because of that.

X is gonna lead the B1G in assists. I will bet anyone that right now. He is gonna have a field day with this talent. ALL ABOARD train is starting up early this year.

Better talent, maybe. Better team, we won't know until we see them play together.

Gonna be interesting to see how they all come together, for sure!

Offensively...I'm skeptical we'll be as efficient as we were last year. TJD was historically dominant, and that allowed guys like Trey and Miller to be very efficient. And gave JHS room to blossom and have a solid year. This years team is different, maybe a little more versatile, but without that TJD presence...and very big question marks with Woody's offensive coaching chops...as I said, skeptical.

Defensively...this is one area we could surpass last years team. Lots of length, speed, and athleticism on this years team. Miller and Race were both a lot better defenders than many gave them credit for. But they were liabilities at times against teams that had a lot of speed and athleticism. Also, Trey, while being a good overall defender, was forced to guard opposing lead guards way more than he ideally should. His strength is off the ball, helping, shooting gaps, etc... As long as X is healthy, he'll be able to play that more natural role for the most part.

Overall Team Energy, Focus, and Effort...this will determine how good we'll be. His first two teams were like a roller coaster in this area. If Woody and this group can find a high level of consistency...it could make a big leap forward. If not...they don't have a TJD security blanket to save them when they're not dialed in.

Reactions: Crayfish57
On paper they look good... The big question is: will they play as a TEAM or as a bunch of individuals... Can Tre and X provide the Leadership necessary to mold them into a Contender or will we be watching a bunch of guys just trying to get theirs and move onto the League...

We probably won't know the answer until mid-January... If they haven't jelled as a TEAM by then it probably isn't happening...

It'll be fun to watch if they're able to do it (become a real TEAM),,,

Let's not jinx them this early on in the year...; there's a Lot of work to be done before they become Champions...
I notice no one ever mentions Defense. And yet, Miami just torched us, as well as other good 3 point shooting teams.

If we're slow to get out on the perimeter or can't recover to defend the interior, we're going to have the same problems as last year. It's nice Woody is able to recruit bigs, but are they quick enough to play defense?

That, to me, is a bigger concern than our offense.

Reactions: IUgradman and kkott
I think the talent and ceiling is higher than last years team. Hard not to have an incredibly high ceiling with 2 top 10 recruits and a 3rd top 35 recruit all starting or playing big minutes.

The floor is lower in the front court though. TJD was a monster at both ends of the court who could play 38 minutes which made up for a ton of holes elsewhere. Ware and Reneau specifically need to both be good and relatively consistent for us to be great. And since neither are likely playing 35+ the backups can’t be mia.

I have read so much consternation about our guards and shooting. I am not worried about either. Imo X, Galloway, and MM will bring a ton more scoring and versatility on both ends of the court than JHS, Galloway and Kopp. We will need Banks and one other perimeter player to show they can play.

Offensively...I'm skeptical we'll be as efficient as we were last year.

I agree, our fg% will be lower, but our offensive rebounding should be much better, hopefully enough to be a net positive.

I don't know. right now it's like saying that Morant is better than SGA because he is more athletic. Yet, Griz seem to win more when Morant doesn't play. Give me SGA all day long until proven otherwise.

I like the potential and increased athleticism but last year's team had 2 go to players that this team will need to replace. TJD was just incredible all year and really carried this team. JHS was a bit inefficient shooting at times but damn good stabilizing the offense at PG. X gets a bit crazy and TO prone. What this team needed is JHS to have stayed. Let's see how the new young high end guys (Ware and MM) come through in close games.

I don't know. right now it's like saying that Morant is better than SGA because he is more athletic. Yet, Griz seem to win more when Morant doesn't play. Give me SGA all day long until proven otherwise.

I like the potential and increased athleticism but last year's team had 2 go to players that this team will need to replace. TJD was just incredible all year and really carried this team. JHS was a bit inefficient shooting at times but damn good stabilizing the offense at PG. X gets a bit crazy and TO prone. What this team needed is JHS to have stayed. Let's see how the new young high end guys (Ware and MM) come through in close games.
JHs could always crest his own shot. Who on this roster will do that for us next year? Galloway is a high energy off the bench guy. We need a 2 that gun catch and shoot and slash. Maybe Gunn emerges because he has those skill sets, just needs to finish

Spin it any way you want. We got blown out.
Several teams were abused by Miami in the tourney. They caught fire at the right time. You act as if IU was blown out by an average team that couldn’t make it past the S16,

Reactions: IUgradman

X is gonna lead the B1G in assists. I will bet anyone that right now. He is gonna have a field day with this talent. ALL ABOARD train is starting up early this year.
Race and Sparks play two different positions. Race’s floor is higher. The comparison is TJD and Race versus Ware and Reneau. Ware and Reneau are more talented. As a team we are more talented, especially our bench. That’s all we know in May.

Race and Sparks play two different positions. Race’s floor is higher. The comparison is TJD and Race versus Ware and Reneau. Ware and Reneau are more talented. As a team we are more talented. That’s all we know in May.
Production vs potential will be the key in that argument. Doubt any of our bigs march TJD production

Reactions: sglowrider
Several teams were abused by Miami in the tourney. They caught fire at the right time. You act as if IU was blown out by an average team that couldn’t make it past the S16,
I don't 'act' like anything. I'm pointing out what a great 3 point shooting team can do to us - and did all year long.

JHs could always crest his own shot. Who on this roster will do that for us next year? Galloway is a high energy off the bench guy. We need a 2 that gun catch and shoot and slash. Maybe Gunn emerges because he has those skill sets, just needs to finish
Imo X will be the one who gets his own shot or creates for others at a higher level than JHS did last year. I believe X will average more points and assists with less TOs and better on ball defense. On top of that Galloway can create for himself and others a bit and MM will be much better at creating for others and getting his own shot than Kopp was. So while no one person has JHSs mid range game, I think our perimeter will be a net positive in getting or creating shots.

I don't 'act' like anything. I'm pointing out what a great 3 point shooting team can do to us - and did all year long.
That was their point about not having X, who could bring a lot more on-ball pressure out front. But I agree, in retrospect I didn’t see us as a team that could go past a S16, even if we had X. However, I think with X they could’ve given Purdue a better challenge for the B10 title.

Production vs potential will be the key in that argument. Doubt any of our bigs march TJD production
Agreed, and I expect Mgbako to exceed Kopp’s production by a wide margin. We have six of the thirteen scholarship players returning including only one starter. It’s not worth comparing this team to last year. It will be very different.

Mack can easily get his shot off. We can hope for CJ and Ware to be in that boat too. Ware will be able to almost assuredly, but who knows on percentages.

Race and Sparks play two different positions. Race’s floor is higher.
Excuse me? First of all Race is for sure a 5, not a four. We tried to play him and TJD together, but both were 5s. What do you think Sparks is?

That was our biggest problem. Had to 5s on the court that couldn't shoot way too much.

Offensively...I'm skeptical we'll be as efficient as we were last year. TJD was historically dominant, and that allowed guys like Trey and Miller to be very efficient. And gave JHS room to blossom and have a solid year. This years team is different, maybe a little more versatile, but without that TJD presence...and very big question marks with Woody's offensive coaching chops...as I said, skeptical.

Defensively...this is one area we could surpass last years team. Lots of length, speed, and athleticism on this years team. Miller and Race were both a lot better defenders than many gave them credit for. But they were liabilities at times against teams that had a lot of speed and athleticism. Also, Trey, while being a good overall defender, was forced to guard opposing lead guards way more than he ideally should. His strength is off the ball, helping, shooting gaps, etc... As long as X is healthy, he'll be able to play that more natural role for the most part.

Overall Team Energy, Focus, and Effort...this will determine how good we'll be. His first two teams were like a roller coaster in this area. If Woody and this group can find a high level of consistency...it could make a big leap forward. If not...they don't have a TJD security blanket to save them when they're not dialed in.
Should be interesting to see how X/TG fares versus JHS/TG. X brings a defensive eliteness to the table for sure, and many here seem content to focus on just the offensive side of the ball.

OTOH, watching Hood last year, and I’m sure the NBA teams took notice, he was one cool cat. He never got rattled, never got sped up. I can’t tell you how many times I thought we were in trouble, in desperate need of a bucket and he calmly created a shot on his own, elevated and converted. Total pro.

I think we will miss that this year. I’m
Not saying we can’t be better 1-2 than last year, only that I think people don’t realize what Hood did for us as a team. It went beyond the stats. I can promise you this: Opposing coaches were very concerned with game planning versus him.

Dude, you posted a lineup idea of “Sparks, Malik, Ware, Mac, and X”. That’s idiotic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT