ADVERTISEMENT

IU recruits and the portal next year.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
I normally don't look too far down the road, but have been reading and listening to a lot of people talking about who will come back next year and what we will need to do in the portal. It looks like we will have Liam and maybe DQ, maybe a reclass from 25' to 24'. Other than that, looks like everything else will be needed in the portal.

As far as coming back? We can probably write in Gabe, Trey, Sparks, and Leal. Next on probability would be Malik, and he will need a nice big pay day not to get recruited back down south for a year. I think he is one more year away and will go pro after Jr. year. The rest? All have very good chances of leaving.

Ware and Mack are 99% gone. I saw some people talking like Mack might come back, that is a dumb opinion. Mack recently on insta reposted a few of his buddies that made the MCD all American team. Guess what, DQ and Liam were not one of them. That is VERY telling. He is gone, you can put that in the bank.

Cj and Banks? They are primed for the JR year transfer out of here. Freshmen year don't play much, sophomore year they realize they won't play at all, Jr year CYA.

Long story short, we are gonna need to totally revamp the squad in the portal. Hopefully we learn our lesson and recruit a brand new starting backcourt and like 4 guards lol. If we rely on Cupps and Trey next year????? Ill let you finish that sentence.

I normally don't look too far down the road, but have been reading and listening to a lot of people talking about who will come back next year and what we will need to do in the portal. It looks like we will have Liam and maybe DQ, maybe a reclass from 25' to 24'. Other than that, looks like everything else will be needed in the portal.

As far as coming back? We can probably write in Gabe, Trey, Sparks, and Leal. Next on probability would be Malik, and he will need a nice big pay day not to get recruited back down south for a year. I think he is one more year away and will go pro after Jr. year. The rest? All have very good chances of leaving.

Ware and Mack are 99% gone. I saw some people talking like Mack might come back, that is a dumb opinion. Mack recently on insta reposted a few of his buddies that made the MCD all American team. Guess what, DQ and Liam were not one of them. That is VERY telling. He is gone, you can put that in the bank.

Cj and Banks? They are primed for the JR year transfer out of here. Freshmen year don't play much, sophomore year they realize they won't play at all, Jr year CYA.

Long story short, we are gonna need to totally revamp the squad in the portal. Hopefully we learn our lesson and recruit a brand new starting backcourt and like 4 guards lol. If we rely on Cupps and Trey next year????? Ill let you finish that sentence.
Really agree with all of this. I think part of this year's problems are we are an entirely new team and haven't had a chance to play together/figure things out etc. My concern is we are going to do this every year now. If you count Newton who will not play, we have six new guys on roster this year and will most likely have just as many if not more next year with only 1 of them - potential for that to move to 2 or 3 from high school. Woodson is really going to need to hit a grand slam in portal season this year

I agree with that basic analysis, not even sure Cupps will want to come back. You didn't address coaches, and while I expect CMW to be back, at a minimum we should see a shake up of his staff. No idea why there's a "buddy security blanket" on the bench but don't see what he's adding. With the amount of change you laid out, I think Dolson should have been monitoring this situation all along and has to ask the question if he believes we're on the right path. If you've got to make that many changes, might it be better to change coaches then also if you don't believe you have the right guy? I'm not advocating this and think CMW will be back, but I've also been saying Dolson should have been having regular conversations with CMW and insure he believes we have a plan.

Last edited:
Seems like there have been 1,000 threads stating the exact same thing over the past few weeks. Most of them with some saltier language and more exclamation marks. Bottom line is we are wading in deep doodoo. Maybe sinking.

As of right now Reneau, Cupps. Mgbako, McNeeley are the only guys I want on the team or deserve to be. We need shooters to help Reneau. Time to tear it down and reloaded.

Really agree with all of this. I think part of this year's problems are we are an entirely new team and haven't had a chance to play together/figure things out etc. My concern is we are going to do this every year now. If you count Newton who will not play, we have six new guys on roster this year and will most likely have just as many if not more next year with only 1 of them - potential for that to move to 2 or 3 from high school. Woodson is really going to need to hit a grand slam in portal season this year
Rinse and repeat again next year. Throw a team together in the portal that is woodsons mo now

As of right now Reneau, Cupps. Mgbako, McNeeley are the only guys I want on the team or deserve to be. We need shooters to help Reneau. Time to tear it down and reloaded.
I was listening to Jim Coyle with Kravitz on YouTube and Jim mentioned a recent interview he had with McNeeley. He asked Liam if he had been watching the Hoosier’s style of play and what he might be able to bring to the table sort of thing. A person in the background (Family member? Handler?) made a quick (snide?) comment before he had a chance to answer. Coyle expressed concern regarding the incident and tone of the interview. He didn’t comment any further but it sounded like it made him begin to wonder, along with me and probably you, too.

Totally revamping this squad sounds like a good idea.

Mack can leave, thats fine. Liam will be an equal to upgrade from a basketball player standpoint. Need 2-3 good guards in portal. Definately. Reneau wil get that raise hopefully.

I was listening to Jim Coyle with Kravitz on YouTube and Jim mentioned a recent interview he had with McNeeley. He asked Liam if he had been watching the Hoosier’s style of play and what he might be able to bring to the table sort of thing. A person in the background (Family member? Handler?) made a quick (snide?) comment before he had a chance to answer. Coyle expressed concern regarding the incident and tone of the interview. He didn’t comment any further but it sounded like it made him begin to wonder, along with me and probably you, too.
Coyle is a clown. A likable one, but still.

Man, I really have tried to at least give you the benefit of the doubt, but you are one royal pain in the ass and not very bright about all things IU. You may have answered this question where your so-called expertise coming from, did you graduate or attend an IU campus, what levels did you coach or play or do you just like throwing crap out there and see what comes from it.

I openly have shared I am an IU alum, 24/7 sports fan, cheering Hoosiers since young in the late 60's and avid fan with an opinion but you really almost make me want to pay for premium again.

Mack can leave, thats fine. Liam will be an equal to upgrade from a basketball player standpoint. Need 2-3 good guards in portal. Definately. Reneau wil get that raise hopefully.
Easier said then done last spring we could not land one guard. The competition for actual guards who can make a difference will be intense. All the big boys will be on the top guards

I agree with that basic analysis, not even sure Cupps will want to come back. You didn't address coaches, and while I expect CMW to be back, at a minimum we should see a shake up of his staff. No idea why there's a "buddy security blanket" on the bench but don't see what he's adding. With the amount of change you laid out, I think Dolson should have been monitoring this situation all along and has to ask the question if he believes we're on the right path. If you've got to make that many changes, might it be better to change coaches then also if you don't believe you have the right guy? I'm not advocating this and think CMW will be back, but I've also been saying Dolson should have been having regular conversations with CMW and insure he believes we have a plan.
*ensure

vbg

This whole thread makes me miss college basketball. Building a team through the portal, players holding out for a raise, players transferring every year. None of it makes the sport more interesting to pay attention to.

Hate to say it but look at the rival to the north or even Wisconsin and follow that model instead.

Building a team through the portal, players holding out for a raise, players transferring every year. None of it makes the sport more interesting to pay attention to.
This is most of why I don't watch the NBA. It's just not interesting, plus I have no invested loyalty to any program.

Please let Trey graduate and move on. I'd rather Leal stay at this point. I doubt Reneau comes back. If IU has to build it up again with Woodson, so be it. It'll be a good excuse for him if they struggle next year.

As you alluded to, a lot can between now and portal time. But if I had to make a guess with absolutely zero insider knowledge...

*Ware/MM - Gone if NBA stock is high enough. (If not, Ware stays, MM bolts)
*Reneau - Back
*Galloway - Back
*Cupps - Back
*Newton - Back
*Leal - Back
*Sparks - back
*CJ/Banks - one or both in the portal

*X - back. I know he'll be out of eligibilty, but that dude may never leave.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

So where is MM going? To the portal, I assume. Because it isn’t to the NBA. At this point, he would not even be signed to G League roster.

We need to add another recruit also. We can’t depend on 5-6 portal additions

So where is MM going? To the portal, I assume. Because it isn’t to the NBA. At this point, he would not even be signed to G League roster.
How much you wanna bet he gets signed by and nba team next year? Litterally any number you want. Name it.

Agree - leal and galloway need to move on. Galloway should never have been starter sixth or even seventh, yes but only to give a true 2 guard a blow

Reactions: ndhuntington
People are too enamored with Trey. I appreciate his grit, etc but he is mediocre bb player. He's physcial but in no way should be a 2 guard. Looks to drive almost always band as senior still jumps in air without knowing what going to do. I like him as off the bench only - hope he moves on
He’s a 6th man. When put in the starting position he just is t consistent. Great energy guy off the bench tho.

Reactions: CriticArisen
You are getting banned again for trolling me? I can make it happen if you want. Keep it up.
Nope. Just big guarantees. But I’m damn sure not betting you on this one. Knowing TJD had a back room deal with the Warriors makes me believe anything can happen on draft night.

For sure a possibility. But he has told everyone he’s going as long as a team says they will sign him.
Right now he's just a shooter and really doesn't offer much else. It's a really weak draft this year, weak drafts are harder to predict and tend to have more movement. So, we'll see ..

How much you wanna bet he gets signed by and nba team next year? Litterally any number you want. Name it.
I’ll bet you as much as you want that he will not make an nba roster next yr. He does not appear in any mock drafts thru the 2nd round. Anywhere. He isn’t even on the radar. So get out of here with that BS.

Reactions: ndfanatic78
In nba terms, he is a below average athlete. Does he even have a dunk this year? Doesn’t have a good motor. Poor lateral movement and below avg defender. Doesn’t rebound. Not a great ballhandler. Doesn’t see the court well. Yes, he can shoot. But he would be a 4 in the nba. He will never be able to guard nba 4s. And he would get embarrassed trying to guard 3s.
He is a poor man’s Watford, except Watford could rebound. And Watford never sniffed the nba.
That said, he could still be a good college player. But no nba team is looking at MM as having great potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT