ADVERTISEMENT

IU is a better team than last year

I definitely learned something this year: your prognostications end up being so far off base that I just tune them out. You need to stop posting from the heart so much. It is entertaining as hell though!
You talking to someone about "posting from the heart so much"??!! REALLY?
Pot meet kettle.
Take own advice!
The only difference is Cav usually goes positive and you ALWAYS go negative.

Do you mean pick and roll / picks pop?
Woody uses nail/slot/rim. He switches on picks. He is starting to get recruits who can guard 2-4 spots. If our 3-4 can guard 3 spots it’s tough to run your offense against because you won’t get the match up you want. Next year’s defense might be a beast because we have 3 guys that should be tough match ups on that end of the floor. You have X, MM and Ware. Then some length off the bench with Walker. Walker can guard without fouling.

Kind of a lost talent too. I argued with many last year about JHS and his mid game. It hurt Purdue big time. They had no answer.
A great mid range player is fun to watch. With that said, basketball in 2023 is all about the three or getting to the rim. It’s why IU got blown out by Miami.

It’s also why I’m tempering my expectations for next year… again. We will see what happens with the last scholarship.

They could be a really good defensive team with this personnel.

Last edited:
Woody uses nail/slot/rim. He switches on picks. He is starting to get recruits who can guard 2-4 spots. If our 3-4 can guard 3 spots it’s tough to run your offense against because you won’t get the match up you want. Next year’s defense might be a beast because we have 3 guys that should be tough match ups on that end of the floor. You have X, MM and Ware. Then some length off the bench with Walker. Walker can guard without fouling.
So when does TJD and Race change positions in nail/slot/rim?

and hopefully Reneau can improve on defending without fouling

Derp, derpy, derp, derp ...

That may be the dumbest possible argument anyone has ever made. That is not the reason teams switch dude ... my god what a dumbass.

Go read a book on modern basketball, or something. You really have no idea what you're talking about and are becoming a monumental waste of time.

Or just continue to derp derpy derp... whatever. lol ...
Obviously you don't own a mirror. You are either incredibly stupid or mentally ill or both.

So when does TJD and Race change positions in nail/slot/rim?
When the screener..zoom action happens. You will get 2 screens. When that happens you switch twice. Look up zoom offense. Just about every team we play uses it. Purdue and Michigan use it a lot.

A great mid range player is fun to watch. With that said, basketball in 2023 is all about the three or getting to the rim. It’s why IU got blown out by Miami.

It’s also why I’m tempering my expectations for next year… again. We will see what happens with the last scholarship.

They could be a really good defensive with this personnel.
Efficiency trumps types of shots. You take what’s open and hit it. Doesn’t matter what type of shot. You don’t need a bunch of threes. Go look at the top 20 three point shooting teams and I bet 18 of them aren’t power 5. If you have good 3 level scorers you are tough to beat. Miami had 3 of those. Alabama is a good case too. They used 3s and at the rim. Nothing else. That actually hurt them.

When the screener..zoom action happens. You will get 2 screens. When that happens you switch twice. Look up zoom offense. Just about every team we play uses it. Purdue and Michigan use it a lot.
It depends on many factors ... and what the coach wants to do.... the switch is not written in stone. They can go under, over, blitz, hedge or switch.

Generally, when a team has players capable of playing multiple positions they tend to switch. If the player can't shoot, they tend to go under, if the player can shoot and is slow, over. Some coaches like attacking it with a blitz, some hedge the ball handler.. They can also switch on simple cuts without a screen.

The question when do they switch doesn't have a single answer, unless its "when they choose to". IU was switching almost everything last year, but there were also times defenders went under or over.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It depends on many factors ... and what the coach wants to do.... the switch is not written in stone. They can go under, over, blitz, hedge or switch.

When a team has players capable of playing multiple positions they tend to switch. If the player can't shoot, they tend to go under, if the player can shoot and is slow, over. Some coaches like blowing it up with a blitz, some hedge the ball handler.. They can also switch on simple cuts without a screen.

The question when do they switch doesn't have a single answer, unless it’s "when they choose to". IU was switching almost everything last year, but there were also times defenders went under or over.
It also depends on who the opposing players and if it happens on the side or at the top of the key. Woody seemed to switch on the sides more than the top of the key. It’s to complicated/situational than just explaining like we are. That’s probably why I’m a fan and not a coach. I was trying to explain why as simple as I can.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Oh @T.M.P. The action Purdue uses you almost have to switch. When Smith was in Zoom he’s going around the two screens too fast. The little dude scored a lot going from left to right.

It also depends on who the opposing players and if it happens on the side or at the top of the key. Woody seemed to switch on the sides more than the top of the key. It’s to complicated/situational than just explaining like we are. That’s probably why I’m a fan and not a coach. I was trying to explain why as simple as I can.
Me too ...

You can also get burnt doing it or by miscommunicating .. like Penn st last year when TJD kept getting switched on to a guard. Sometimes you would want that as he's capable, but in that game it caused a huge hole in our defense. Or when teams used our switches to get mismatches.

fwiw - this isn't pointed at you...
The positions # ... 1 thru 5 are used on plays to show where each person should be. Look at any play diagram ..

In the first half against Purdue, we used TJD as the 5 on the DHO and zoom, when Painter countered Woody moved Race to the 5 on the zoom play.

Race and TJD were interchangeable they both played the 4 and 5 spot on both ends of the floor. This is undeniable.

Me too ...

You can also get burnt doing it or by miscommunicating .. like Penn st last year when TJD kept getting switched on to a guard. Sometimes you would want that as he's capable, but in that game it caused a huge hole in our defense. Or when teams used our switches to get mismatches.

The positions # ... 1 thru 5 are used on plays to show where each person should be. Look at any play diagram ..

In the first half against Purdue, we used TJD as the 5 on the DHO and zoom, when Painter countered Woody moved Race to the 5 on the zoom play.

Race and TJD were interchangeable they both played the 4 and 5 spot on both ends of the floor. This is undeniable.
Yep. ZOOM has so many options. It’s really hard to guard especially if you are quick and can shoot.

Yep. ZOOM has so many options. It’s really hard to guard especially if you are quick and can shoot.
Yup, basically a PnR that eliminates the first half of the dribble action. player doesn't have to dribble to the screener, screener doesn't have to move, makes it easier to execute and harder to guard.

PnR on steroids....

Last edited:
Yup, basically a PnR that eliminates the first half of the dribble action. player doesn't have to dribble to the screener, makes it harder to guard.

PnR on steroids....
It looks awful at first. If you don’t hit the shot or the other team defends it well our armchair coaches scream “clogged lanes” or “he sucks”. If MM is who I think he is I’m hoping to see it for him. Any three level scorer is just about unstoppable out of it.

It looks awful at first. If you don’t hit the shot or the other team defends it well our armchair coaches scream “clogged lanes” or “he sucks”. If MM is who I think he is I’m hoping to see it for him. Any three level scorer is just about unstoppable out of it.
Remember when Loyala made the run with Moser? He used his version of it.

Me too ...

Your intellectual prowess is the only thing undeniable yet you haven’t convinced me that Race is a five. Since our guards switched with bigs then JHS must be a five too.

• Haha
Your intellectual prowess is the only thing undeniable yet you haven’t convinced me that Race is a five. Since our guards switched with bigs then JHS must be a five too.
Just stop. It’s a positionless game today. That’s why Woody wants bigs to be able to handle the ball. He’s moving towards(as many are) that 1-3 are guard/wing combos and 4-5 are wings. You could then guard 3-5 spots. Look at Miami 5 guard offense. Race would switch to replace TJD in the nail and vice versa.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Just stop. It’s a positionless game today. That’s why Woody wants bigs to be able to handle the ball. He’s moving towards(as many are) that 1-3 are guard/wing combos and 4-5 are wings. You could then guard 3-5 spots. Look at Miami 5 guard offense. Race would switch to replace TJD in the nail and vice versa.
It’s a position less game now, so we should start five 6’7” 210 lb guys.

Me too ...

Where did you go? I wanted to learn more about how the zoom makes Race a five?

We'll see if we're better.

We need to get someone that can shoot the basketball with this last scholarship. People say Mac can shoot it, but the college game is a whole different animal. The line is further back, the game is faster, everything is just ramped up more.

We lost our best shooter last year in Miller and need to get someone that can shoot in that 40-45% range.

I'm also a little nervous about our defense. TJD covered up a LOT last year. And we weren't very good to begin with. It's not fair to ask Ware to do everything TJD did for us last year, so it'll have to be a group effort.

Our season will depend on our guard play, IMO, and if they can stay healthy. We'll need CJ to step up and make a leap. Cupps is probably gonna have to come in and play some minutes. Banks will need to make a jump, hopefully he can guard on the wing. Trey needs to continue to be Trey and play hard.

We need a solid add out of the portal with that last scholarship.

Reactions: 76-1
Would you rather have Sparks or Race for next year? I am taking Sparks. Race had a tough go of it with injuries, but he just wasn't that good last year TBH. He had some games where he caught fire, but just was not a factor far too often to be a starting 4.

Why I ask is because Sparks will almost positively never start next year unless we just get F***** with injuries. And that aint happening damnit, we are due for a healthy season. Sparks will likely be a solid 7-8th man, him and Walker will battle for it I would imagine.

Even tho we lose TJD, we have a better front court. TJD was almost the player of the year!! He couldn't shoot..... Need to shoot to win big, everyone on the floor will have the green light this year from beyond the arc, and they all will be better shooters than JG, TJD and Race. The floor is gonna open a shit ton because of that.

X is gonna lead the B1G in assists. I will bet anyone that right now. He is gonna have a field day with this talent. ALL ABOARD train is starting up early this year.
Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

I can’t control injuries or coach the team. But we should have been good, that’s why Woodson will most likely get fired. This is the most underachieving team since Knight. Sad.

Would you rather have Sparks or Race for next year? I am taking Sparks. Race had a tough go of it with injuries, but he just wasn't that good last year TBH. He had some games where he caught fire, but just was not a factor far too often to be a starting 4.

Why I ask is because Sparks will almost positively never start next year unless we just get F***** with injuries. And that aint happening damnit, we are due for a healthy season. Sparks will likely be a solid 7-8th man, him and Walker will battle for it I would imagine.

Even tho we lose TJD, we have a better front court. TJD was almost the player of the year!! He couldn't shoot..... Need to shoot to win big, everyone on the floor will have the green light this year from beyond the arc, and they all will be better shooters than JG, TJD and Race. The floor is gonna open a shit ton because of that.

X is gonna lead the B1G in assists. I will bet anyone that right now. He is gonna have a field day with this talent. ALL ABOARD train is starting up early this year.
Ouch

I can’t control injuries or coach the team. But we should have been good, that’s why Woodson will most likely get fired. This is the most underachieving team since Knight. Sad.
IdK that 16-17 RoJo, JbJr, Bryant, Og, Morgan team says hi. OG's injury = x and others. And that team could have also had Troy Williams.

Reactions: SRIV94 and DANC
You are generally overly optimistic. It's not a bad thing. Nice to see some optimism.

Bates is playing well at Mizzou though and that gives your prediction on him more cred. 44% on 3s this year. Damn.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy

Woodson will be at IU next year. If he has another underperforming year then, he may be fired. But not at the end of this year.

Woodson will be at IU next year. If he has another underperforming year then, he may be fired. But not at the end of this year.
I agree. We’ll know by this summer if Woodson is able to put together a lineup that has good roster construction. If he fails in the portal, then it’ll be a foregone conclusion that next season IU will finish in the bottom third of the conference and likely won’t even get an invite to the BTT.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT