ADVERTISEMENT

IU recruits and the portal next year.

MM: Started the year as likely being drafted, but now he’s fallen off the charts. Yet, he has improved as the season has gone on.

So, to me, the question is in his mind was IU a mistake? The best thing he could do for his draft status would be to turn back the clock and erase his time here.

He has one goal it seems. I have to think it’s reasonable to assume he’s a prime candidate for the portal.
If he puts up #s next year, or even went on a tear to end this year, he'll get the NBA's attention. They don't discriminate against anyone. You can't turn back the clock, but going forward there are still 24 hours in a day in Btown too. He's gotta show more game, doesn't matter where that is.

Reactions: .Gerdis
If he puts up #s next year, or even went on a tear to end this year, he'll get the NBA's attention. They don't discriminate against anyone. You can't turn back the clock, but going forward there are still 24 hours in a day in Btown too. He's gotta show more game, doesn't matter where that is.
No doubt, and JHS is testament to how limited sample size can influence things. I’m sure it hasn’t gone how he expected at IU, but if he goes off in a few big games, in a weak draft yr., who knows?

Reactions: kkott
He is also 6'8 with an elite shot. He will be on a GLeague roster next year at minimum. Id bet that for sure with anyone.

Also expect him to go off a few times. 5+ three game coming soon

He is also 6'8 with an elite shot. He will be on a GLeague roster next year at minimum. Id bet that for sure with anyone.

Should be interesting to watch the frontcourt- some people playing for their careers.

Elite on relatively few attempts. If you want to bet, 5K is rich for me, but I'd bet $500 that he will not be on the same NBA/G league active roster for a consecutive 60 day period next season. He might bounce around or get signed in some emergency situation (Heck, don't the Boilers like to tout that Dakota Mathias made some NBA roster on a 10 day contract, or some other oddity?), but I don't think he has the skills to "stick" anywhere at that level... yet. I can see it in him, and with hard work I can see him making an NBA roster, but there's nothing special enough yet to make me think that will be next season.

Hey, who among us thought Miller Kopp would even be in the G league
I'm not surprised by that. To me, what the NBA wants is someone who's elite at something and shooting is at the top of that list. And, I think Miller knows how to play the game and was largely misused while here. I think Miller beats MM in a game of 3 pt horse 10 out of 10 times right now.

Reactions: bbafficionado
Elite on relatively few attempts. If you want to bet, 5K is rich for me, but I'd bet $500 that he will not be on the same NBA/G league active roster for a consecutive 60 day period next season. He might bounce around or get signed in some emergency situation (Heck, don't the Boilers like to tout that Dakota Mathias made some NBA roster on a 10 day contract, or some other oddity?), but I don't think he has the skills to "stick" anywhere at that level... yet. I can see it in him, and with hard work I can see him making an NBA roster, but there's nothing special enough yet to make me think that will be next season.
This all got started by someone saying he couldn't go pro next year. I just argued that someone is gonna say ya we will give you a shot, he has told people that is all he needs. For sure one foot out the door before he got here.

I normally don't look too far down the road, but have been reading and listening to a lot of people talking about who will come back next year and what we will need to do in the portal. It looks like we will have Liam and maybe DQ, maybe a reclass from 25' to 24'. Other than that, looks like everything else will be needed in the portal.

As far as coming back? We can probably write in Gabe, Trey, Sparks, and Leal. Next on probability would be Malik, and he will need a nice big pay day not to get recruited back down south for a year. I think he is one more year away and will go pro after Jr. year. The rest? All have very good chances of leaving.

Ware and Mack are 99% gone. I saw some people talking like Mack might come back, that is a dumb opinion. Mack recently on insta reposted a few of his buddies that made the MCD all American team. Guess what, DQ and Liam were not one of them. That is VERY telling. He is gone, you can put that in the bank.

Cj and Banks? They are primed for the JR year transfer out of here. Freshmen year don't play much, sophomore year they realize they won't play at all, Jr year CYA.

Long story short, we are gonna need to totally revamp the squad in the portal. Hopefully we learn our lesson and recruit a brand new starting backcourt and like 4 guards lol. If we rely on Cupps and Trey next year????? Ill let you finish that sentence.
Long story short, with being a 15 point underdog today vs Illinois and perhaps close to a 20 point underdog vs Purdue in 2 weeks, this ship is sinking fast and the future looks dismal.

I think the Woodson experiment is essentially over in year three. More .500 ball next season and he’ll be gone.

Kansas is playing with 9 scholarship players this year, one of them was a FWO they gave a scholly to. The bench is weak, and one injury to a key starter could hurt them badly. According to your rationalized standard they must be 4 times as incompetent as you make our staff out to be.

Please STFU with your BS .. we suck currently, leave it at that, the reasons why are probably beyond you and cherry picking trivial shit doesn't make you seem rational at all.
Very sensitive……and we’re not Kansas. Self knows how to put a roster together. IU staff hasn’t proven they can although they tried to fill ours last spring and couldn’t land Ledlum, Knecht, Timberlake etc. I’ll agree with you on 1 thing, this team currently stinks. But no team Woodson has coached has been equipped to compete with the best. Every year of this “we’re gonna play the best in the country” scheduling model has just been an embarrassment on national TV, even with 2 NBA draft picks on the roster. No progress is being made at changing that narrative.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Willdog7

Today would be a good day for him to start.

He obviously has no desire to be in college more than a year. Drafted or not he is gone
If he's telling people he'll go if anyone will sign him and give him a shot, then yeah he views IU just as a stepping stone and he was never here to play for IU or Woodson. If we have other players like that on the roster it could be why there is some appearance of "team chemistry" issues.

Besides IU I don't really watch much college basketball. I tend to focus on Indiana High School games.
VPM, you are missing out on some great college bball, especially from the smaller schools. But I understand your sentiment. The Pacers don't always play much defense but their games are very entertaining.

Please let Trey graduate and move on. I'd rather Leal stay at this point. I doubt Reneau comes back. If IU has to build it up again with Woodson, so be it. It'll be a good excuse for him if they struggle next year.
I love Trey..But its time for him to move on.
Woodson imo has to have a major jump next yr to win half the fan base back..
Like a crazy 23 win team. Sweet sixteen appearance..
I've not talked to one fan lately that believes in..

Kansas is playing with 9 scholarship players this year, one of them was a FWO they gave a scholly to. The bench is weak, and one injury to a key starter could hurt them badly. According to your rationalized standard they must be 4 times as incompetent as you make our staff out to be.

Please STFU with your BS .. we suck currently, leave it at that, the reasons why are probably beyond you and cherry picking trivial shit doesn't make you seem rational at all.
Article I found said they started the season with 11 and had to dismiss one, so not that different to start: 11 v 12.

I normally don't look too far down the road, but have been reading and listening to a lot of people talking about who will come back next year and what we will need to do in the portal. It looks like we will have Liam and maybe DQ, maybe a reclass from 25' to 24'. Other than that, looks like everything else will be needed in the portal.

As far as coming back? We can probably write in Gabe, Trey, Sparks, and Leal. Next on probability would be Malik, and he will need a nice big pay day not to get recruited back down south for a year. I think he is one more year away and will go pro after Jr. year. The rest? All have very good chances of leaving.

Ware and Mack are 99% gone. I saw some people talking like Mack might come back, that is a dumb opinion. Mack recently on insta reposted a few of his buddies that made the MCD all American team. Guess what, DQ and Liam were not one of them. That is VERY telling. He is gone, you can put that in the bank.

Cj and Banks? They are primed for the JR year transfer out of here. Freshmen year don't play much, sophomore year they realize they won't play at all, Jr year CYA.

Long story short, we are gonna need to totally revamp the squad in the portal. Hopefully we learn our lesson and recruit a brand new starting backcourt and like 4 guards lol. If we rely on Cupps and Trey next year????? Ill let you finish that sentence.
We need to do a better job of knowing who could be available at all schools. We need to get a couple of guards from a mid major that compete and have the attitude that they can beat anyone. Going after the top players from P5 schools is still part of the process, but let's not overlook the players that torment us every year that weren't highly recruited.

We need to do a better job of knowing who could be available at all schools. We need to get a couple of guards from a mid major that compete and have the attitude that they can beat anyone. Going after the top players from P5 schools is still part of the process, but let's not overlook the players that torment us every year that weren't highly recruited.
If they have that attitude,they would not be leaving there school.

I disagree. Trey can be a huge contributor to a good team. But you can’t ask him to do things he’s not equipped to do. He’s been forced into the starting 2-guard position because the staff couldn’t land a 2-guard. That’s not Trey’s fault. He’d be a great 6th man.

this post could not have existed two short years ago

Reactions: Cavanagh
Why are you so low on the kid when he has 3 1/2 years left. He is not even 20.
Actually, I think he can be very good. That was a response explaining why he isn’t anywhere close (at this point) to getting legit nba interest. I think he could be a really good college player next year and even better in year 3. He fought hard today.
He doesn’t look like a potential nba player now. And he isn’t on any mock draft lists. I’d love to see him stay, and I would be happy if he improves in several areas. And I’d be happy to be wrong.

Rinse and repeat again next year. Throw a team together in the portal that is woodsons mo now
Even if you scrapped the currentvyeam and brought in all new talent, the problem still remains that you have an administration and coaching staff that doesn't appear to function. So, as it was said above, rinse and repeat.

Without change at the top, not sure player talent is going to address the deep cultural issues.

• Sad
I disagree. Trey can be a huge contributor to a good team. But you can’t ask him to do things he’s not equipped to do. He’s been forced into the starting 2-guard position because the staff couldn’t land a 2-guard. That’s not Trey’s fault. He’d be a great 6th man.
7th man. Energy guys can't shoot.

As you alluded to, a lot can between now and portal time. But if I had to make a guess with absolutely zero insider knowledge...

*Ware/MM - Gone if NBA stock is high enough. (If not, Ware stays, MM bolts)
*Reneau - Back
*Galloway - Back
*Cupps - Back
*Newton - Back
*Leal - Back
*Sparks - back
*CJ/Banks - one or both in the portal

*X - back. I know he'll be out of eligibilty, but that dude may never leave.
Not X. He doesn't play for Iowa-so it's against the BT rules. Even if he could fans don't want him. About as bad as Danny Green's brother was.Galloway--no please. Leal-yes. Reneau-I would go to G league before I'd play another game for Woodson. Might look like Crean's first year.

• Sad
How much you wanna bet he gets signed by and nba team next year? Litterally any number you want. Name it.
are you serious? are you talking a training camp contract like Romeo signed this year? there is no way in hell any NBA would waste a draft pick on him.

I do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT