ADVERTISEMENT

If you want to give money, give money to Hoosiers for Good

There are clear IRS guidelines around 501 (c) (3) entities and Fred will comply. Don't be silly.
It will be reviewed by the IRS at a later date to determine whether or not they are able to keep that status. Most are approved originally and then reviewed at a later date.

Someone sent me a copy of his post. That is all it said. What else is missing that was misconstrued? TIA
He is going to play for team USA in Europe this summer. It’s a fund to help cover expenses. It’s not like he’s going on vacation and asking for a fund to pay for it.

He is going to play for team USA in Europe this summer. It’s a fund to help cover expenses. It’s not like he’s going on vacation and asking for a fund to pay for it.
Actually, the GFM says it for all of the players not just him so that makes it ok IMO.

And if/when HFG gets their 501c3 status revoked?

At least you admit that HFG is currently no more transparent. In fact, they are even less transparent. At least they have stated how much they’ve brought in and how much they’ve given out.
I don't what you're talking about with them being less transparent right now. If you can send me a HH equivalent link to the following things that are publicly available from HFG, I'd be happy to learn more about them as a result. I'm unaware of any publicy available information for the HH NIL Collective.

HFG's NIL Charitable Activities Policy

HFG Athletes with a deal

HFG Charitable Partners and Associated Athletes

HFG Leadership Team

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I don't what you're talking about with them being less transparent right now. If you can send me a HH equivalent link to the following things that are publicly available from HFG, I'd be happy to learn more about them as a result. I'm unaware of any publicy available information for the HH NIL Collective.

HFG Athletes with a deal

HFG Leadership Team
Those links lead to absolutely no information. It shows who the athletes are that received the $$$, but no details of the deals. No where in there did it state how much money they had received, or how much they had given out. The staff is far larger than the HH collective and likely are receiving payment.

I’m a fan of both Collectives. The more the better. Your comments on the HH collective were hypocritical, and I was simply calling you out on that. The HFG is no more transparent than the HH collective, and that’s exactly how it should be.

Either way, much different than stating that he’s asking for money for a summer of fun.
And when you admit when you are wrong...I will be impressed. You can start with your statements here about HFG.

HFG Athletes with a deal

HFG Leadership Team
HFG established and set up by adults with executive, legal and NCAA expertise and it shows.

And when you admit when you are wrong...I will be impressed. You can start with your statements here about HFG.
That makes no sense. My statements on HFG were not wrong. Their 501c3 status WILL be reviewed at a later date as it is with all 501c3 applicants. The IRS will determine if they are worthy of the tax exempt

I get that you are mad that I called you at at your Purdue troll attempt, but come on. Let it go. HFG and the HH Collective are both great things for IU.

Goofball thing to do, but that's where we are. Pretty sure TeamUSA covers all travel and meal expenses, so the reality is, whether it's 1 player or the whole team, it's most likely going to be an RnR fund. Let's see, what's a college kid going to Europe going to do with $1000 extra dollars? Not cover travel related expenses, I'll bet that much!

Those links lead to absolutely no information. It shows who the athletes are that received the $$$, but no details of the deals. No where in there did it state how much money they had received, or how much they had given out. The staff is far larger than the HH collective and likely are receiving payment.
if its so devoid of info, it should be easy to point me towards some publicly available equivalents or something even more informative from HH's NIL Collective. If you can't, then what's that say about the HH play?

I already answered the question about the details being available after they file their info with the IRS next year. Will HH make theirs available?

People can obviously donate to whoever they want to donate to, but you can't look at the difference between the 2 with any kind of objectivity and say that one isn't much more transparent than the other.

if its so devoid of info, it should be easy to point me towards some publicly available equivalents or something even more informative from HH's NIL Collective. If you can't, then what's that say about the HH play?

I already answered the question about the details being available after they file their info with the IRS next year. Will HH make theirs available?

People can obviously donate to whoever they want to donate to, but you can't look at the difference between the 2 with any kind of objectivity and say that one isn't much more transparent than the other.
Are you a Peegs member? I can point you to the update of how much they have taken in vs how much they have given out. I can also point you to them saying 100% of the money raised goes to the athletes.

Your hope for transparency with HFG is that you can request details NEXT YEAR.

Are you a Peegs member? I can point you to the update of how much they have taken in vs how much they have given out. I can also point you to them saying 100% of the money raised goes to the athletes.

Here's their website.

www.hhnil.com

Reactions: B1G_Fan

I'm not a peegs member. Is that the level of transparency they offer? Claims on a paid discussion forum that aren't subject to any kind of audit or regulatory scrutiny?

Give your money to whoever you want. You can't tell me they're the same level of organization.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
I wasn’t talking about transfer rules.
You should be. As most of the recent "questionable" NIL activity has surrounded the transfer market. Control that with better guidelines that somehow disincentives kids from transferring, but still makes it possible without as heavy a "penatly" as there was years ago...

We're still VERY early in the NIL era. I hope whoever the governing bodies end up being, continue to evolve and come up with ways to keep as much of the college community feel, as they can.

Those links provide about as much information as the links you provided.

And while yes, there is a disparity in executive/legal experience (although don't completely discount Eric's experience for as clownish as some view him), that disparity and any future transparency are explicitly needed for HFG to thread the needle on non-profit status. The hysterics have been as transparent as any NIL group not seeking non-profit status.

That makes no sense. My statements on HFG were not wrong. Their 501c3 status WILL be reviewed at a later date as it is with all 501c3 applicants. The IRS will determine if they are worthy of the tax exempt
LOL, So you are walking it back. Admitting you were wrong without admitting you are wrong. May be as close as we will ever see.

I'm not a peegs member. Is that the level of transparency they offer? Claims on a paid discussion forum that aren't subject to any kind of audit or regulatory scrutiny?

Give your money to whoever you want. You can't tell me they're the same level of organization.
I have no reason to believe that HH is anything less than 101% above board.

That said, our donations so far have gone to HFG primarily because I trust Fred and like the fact that good legit organizations will derive some level of benefit (including from us) and it is absent the absolute cringe act from these two guys.

Their website was linked above.

I have donated solely to the HH Collective so far, because the only thing I care about is getting IUBB back. If HFG added a “mens basketball only” pool, I would donate to that as well.

LOL, So you are walking it back. Admitting you were wrong without admitting you are wrong. May be as close as we will ever see.
I didn’t walk back anything. My first comment was “If/When the IRS revokes the 501c3 status, you won’t be able to request details”.

I don’t believe the 501c3 status will stand. I think it’s fairly obvious this is more about paying collegiate athletes than doing good for charity. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for HFG and athletes getting paid as much as someone is willing to pay them, I just don’t think the 501c3 will stand.

You should be. As most of the recent "questionable" NIL activity has surrounded the transfer market. Control that with better guidelines that somehow disincentives kids from transferring, but still makes it possible without as heavy a "penatly" as there was years ago...

We're still VERY early in the NIL era. I hope whoever the governing bodies end up being, continue to evolve and come up with ways to keep as much of the college community feel, as they can.
I seperated them because of situation. I believe the 1 free transfer rule will go away. I’m not dismissing it or disagreeing. I just wasn’t including it in this discussion. I believe that’s the only thing they can change(that makes a difference) or enforce. Also there aren’t that many game changing players that come from the portal. At least so far. I don’t think you will see that many Pack deals. It won’t be rampant anyway. That deal doesn’t seem to make much sense.

I didn’t walk back anything. My first comment was “If/When the IRS revokes the 501c3 status, you won’t be able to request details”.

I don’t believe the 501c3 status will stand. I think it’s fairly obvious this is more about paying collegiate athletes than doing good for charity. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for HFG and athletes getting paid as much as someone is willing to pay them, I just don’t think the 501c3 will stand.
Have you contacted Fred to help him understand what he did wrong? He takes calls.

Have you contacted Fred to help him understand what he did wrong? He takes calls.
He did nothing wrong? Why wouldn’t he at least try for the 501c3? There is no downside.

Fred was a shitty AD, but I’m sure he will be very good in this role. He was a good fundraiser while AD and obviously has all the booster contacts already.

He did nothing wrong? Why wouldn’t he at least try for the 501c3? There is no downside.
HFG is a 501c3.

Thanks to Boogie and Turnkey for the links. That's better than what they had 2 months ago, which apparently was limited to posts on TOS.

They're still not transparent on who they've done deals with.

'We put on a Fan Fest in October of 2021 where every scholarship player for IU was paid. We have made additional deals with Tamar Bates, Xavier Johnson, Jordan Geronimo and a few football players. We also put on a Youth Camp with the IU Women’s Basketball team in conjunction with the Fan Fest that allowed us to pay all eligible Women’s basketball players" Emphasis mine

It's good that they state 100% goes to athletes and they don't take a dime. At the end of the day though, the financial disclosures are still just a promise to update people once a year only on how much has been raised.

I'll admit that this website they put up a month ago is a step in the right direction and it's not as unorganized as I suspected.

HFG is a 501c3.

Thanks to Boogie and Turnkey for the links. That's better than what they had 2 months ago, which apparently was limited to posts on TOS.

'We put on a Fan Fest in October of 2021 where every scholarship player for IU was paid. We have made additional deals with Tamar Bates, Xavier Johnson, Jordan Geronimo and a few football players. We also put on a Youth Camp with the IU Women’s Basketball team in conjunction with the Fan Fest that allowed us to pay all eligible Women’s basketball players" Emphasis mine

It's good that they state 100% goes to athletes and they don't take a dime. At the end of the day though, the financial disclosures are still just a promise to update people once a year only on how much has been raised.

I'll admit that this website they put up a month ago is a step in the right direction and it's not as unorganized as I suspected.
You could only request HFG once a year as well.

They’ve stated that they won’t reveal details about their individual deals unless a player specifically wants them to. While I don’t believe they are doing anything wrong, if they were to reveal the details like Miami and Illinois are doing, it would put a target on their back. I don’t think you will see HFG revealing the details of their deals either.

Fair points, but I think the big thing is that very very few NIL orgs are going to disclose this information (HFG eventually being one of those exceptions), at least in the short term.

At the end of the day, it will be buyer[donor] beware, and if you are uncomfortable with the finances of the hysterics' org or just don't like them personally, then you don't need to donate. If the financial ambiguity is too much for a lot of people that want to donate, the hysterics will evolve to accommodate or alternative orgs will take their place. But NIL is so new, its going to take time to figure what the market for NIL donors wants/expects, and for the time being, its not going to be transparent, and may never really get there.

There's a lot to like about HFG, but if your primary interest is getting the highest percentage of your donation to athletes, or a specific sport in particular (most likely basketball) then HFG might not fit your goals

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
You could only request HFG once a year as well.

They’ve stated that they won’t reveal details about their individual deals unless a player specifically wants them to. While I don’t believe they are doing anything wrong, if they were to reveal the details like Miami and Illinois are doing, it would put a target on their back. I don’t think you will see HFG revealing the details of their deals either.
If HFG is giving money to another charity they have to disclose that on their form 990. They may also have to disclose any non-trivial amounts paid to athletes for "services rendered" on behalf of those charities, or if the other charities are paying the athletes, they will be the ones disclosing that.

One of the things about funneling all this money through 501(c)(3) orgs is that very little can be kept secret. The finances of these organizations are pretty open to the public by design.

Fred was a shitty AD, but I’m sure he will be very good in this role. He was a good fundraiser while AD and obviously has all the booster contacts already.
He did and he got it very quickly...very.

If HFG is giving money to another charity they have to disclose that on their form 990. They may also have to disclose any non-trivial amounts paid to athletes for "services rendered" on behalf of those charities, or if the other charities are paying the athletes, they will be the ones disclosing that.

One of the things about funneling all this money through 501(c)(3) orgs is that very little can be kept secret. The finances of these organizations are pretty open to the public by design.
One of the many reasons I prefer this tool at this point.

I get that. They aren’t volunteering the info though. As I’ve stated, I think there is a decent chance they lose their 501c3 status after their initial review. Regardless, both collectives are good options to donate to.

Fair points, but I think the big thing is that very very few NIL orgs are going to disclose this information (HFG eventually being one of those exceptions), at least in the short term.

At the end of the day, it will be buyer[donor] beware, and if you are uncomfortable with the finances of the hysterics' org or just don't like them personally, then you don't need to donate. If the financial ambiguity is too much for a lot of people that want to donate, the hysterics will evolve to accommodate or alternative orgs will take their place. But NIL is so new, its going to take time to figure what the market for NIL donors wants/expects, and for the time being, its not going to be transparent, and may never really get there.

There's a lot to like about HFG, but if your primary interest is getting the highest percentage of your donation to athletes, or a specific sport in particular (most likely basketball) then HFG might not fit your goals
Just listened to Kristi Dosh being interviewed. She writes about the business of college sports for Forbes. Some interesting tidbits.

Most schools have 1 or 2 of either the marketplace, charity or straight donation based collectives. We have all 3.

She said fewer than 5 (the last number she saw was 3) of the charity based collectives have federal 501c3 status.

I assume HH will have to evolve to be at least as open as HFG. The website is an example. The URL was registered until near the end of March this year. It's so new it doesn't even show up for me if I google "Hoosier Hysterics NIL Collective"

At the end of the day, I want us to be on top of all this and not be out of it like the school up north right now. My meager little bit will go where I can deduct it.

Just listened to Kristi Dosh being interviewed. She writes about the business of college sports for Forbes. Some interesting tidbits.

Most schools have 1 or 2 of either the marketplace, charity or straight donation based collectives. We have all 3.

She said fewer than 5 (the last number she saw was 3) of the charity based collectives have federal 501c3 status.

I assume HH will have to evolve to be at least as open as HFG. The website is an example. The URL was registered until near the end of March this year. It's so new it doesn't even show up for me if I google "Hoosier Hysterics NIL Collective"

At the end of the day, I want us to be on top of all this and not be out of it like the school up north right now. My meager little bit will go where I can deduct it.
Yep, good to have options, it doesn’t need to be an either or situation with the various groups. donors are going to have different goals and comfort levels, so they can choose the best fit for themselves.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
We are on the top of the mountain of NIL we don’t need the hysterics. HFG is in a class with a handful of other universities. We just gave race 150k. No other big ten school has done anything like that. The hysterics are a clown show. We don’t need them. I give more money to NIL then they do. You want me to start soiliciting you for money?
We are FAR from the top of the mountain in NIL. Like a two week hike and a telescope away from even seeing the top. That said, we’re ahead of where I predicted a year ago and better than most of the Big Ten.

We are FAR from the top of the mountain in NIL. Like a two week hike and a telescope away from even seeing the top. That said, we’re ahead of where I predicted a year ago and better than most of the Big Ten.
You are no one to judge, but have at it.

Fred got the (c) (3) status very quickly while others have not. There is a reason you put experienced execs in the big boy chairs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT