ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen Era must end

Mark Milton

All-American
Sep 18, 2001
You cannot play this bad for 2 and half (give or take 2 games), seasons, and have an expectation to keep your job. No way.

Offense was terrible.
Defense was terrible.

We look extraoridinarly disorganized and undisciplined. That is 100% on Allen and staff. We just got our asses handed to us a by a team that had been a peer (or worse), and it wasn't even that close.

I did a deep dive as part of my weekly insomnia on everything Walt Bell has coordinated at every stop (thank you youtbe). First, he ain't the guy. I'm baffled but what he is trying to accomplish out there other than coach speak. Second, at no point in Walt Bell's career has EVER, EVER coordinated or been a part of an offense at the collegiate level that looks like this. Not even when Maryland was down to their 4th string walk on QB did they run this crap that we put on the field. You go back and pull up Arkansas St, North Carolina, Maryland, etc. it has always been a spread offense (sometimes to run, but more often than not, it was pass heavy). Matt Weaver, the best in the business, asked Walt Bell a question about what the hell the offense's identify is, and Walt gave him back some coaching babble about "we are a running offense with elements of option" I'm paraphrasing, but it is close. I've coached, and in 2023, I have no idea what that means. Are you like the old Boise State that had multiple formations, motions and sets? Nope, we ain't that. We ain't Rich Rod's WVU offense. We aren't Iowa. We aren't Army/Air Force/Navy. I have no clue what we are except a collection of plays that Walt Bell has never ran before (for the most part), at ANY COLLEGIATE JOB where he coordinated. To build on my thoughts, we went from running a Baylor type offense last year at the start (wide splits for receivers, hurry up, pass heavy) to the Dexter Williams offense (which by the way, I give credit to Bell for installing in such a short time period), to this Mulligan stew of plays that we have now. One thing I know about OC's is that they like to run their offense, tweak it but keep the principles the same. We ain't doing that now--it is 3 different offenses over the last 13 games. That's insane. I can see 2 because Dexter has special running traits and isn't the greatest passer, but 3????? Insane. I have pretty good educated guess, and I've said before, the style of play is being dicated to him. It has to be the case. I do not see any other answer. Putting aside the issue that we haven't really developed a lick of coherence (some of that is on him, some on the players), is the fact that I can't stand what our offense is. I don't see a big picture. I certainly don't see stresses being put on the defense. Some of that is perhaps we can't because the OL still struggles, some of that is that we run just a bunch of different plays with very little system building. It is clear that our best running back, and it really isn't close, is Turner. Unlike Lucas, Turner really sees the field, takes his cut and goes. His vision is really good. Unfortunately, Lucas' vision as a running back not good. He's just too easy to defend (note--I have no problem with Lucas running inside. You have to run inside, otherwise he is just a one trick pony. His problem is not seeing things and dancing. I'm sure he is just trying to make plays, but it doesn't work like that at this level. Bottom line: Walt Bell isn't good, but I am convinced he is being told what to run. Perhaps not on an individual play level (althought that clearly might happen on occassion), but rather how we want to play.

Not sure Tayven is the answer either. I liked how Sorsby played and he brings a much needed running element to the offense than Jackson. If I had to be the farm, I would say that there is a dispute between coaches as to who should start at QB, and that dispute has been ongoing. Tom Allen seems to have bent over backwards to make sure Jackson was the starter if it was remotely close. First time in history I have heard a coach say a player wasn't a great practice player, but let's see how he does in gametime. Sorry, but that is nonsense.

Tom Allen should be worried less about coaches and players swearing and more focus on organization and structure. Less time giving the yelling rah rah speeches every practice and game, and more time trying to fund raise and MANAGING this roster. Does anybody see another win on the schedule? I don't see one anymore. 5 games into the season and we have actually gotten worse each game. Tom told us last week (before Akron on his radio show), that IU had a great week of practice. Well, after the Akron game he said whe didn't practice well that week. You cannot reconcile those statements. After the game yesterday, he told us that the team had a great week of practice. Should we believe that? Dunno, I'm struggling to believe it. Allen has no problems throwing Coach KT under the bus over multiple seasons. He's done it publically. Toward's the end of the Hiller era, he finally jumped into Hiller's stuff. Yesterday after the game Allen blamed the players for not executing. Yet Monday, Walt Bell told us that when coaches use the words "failing to execute", you as a coach are blaming the players. Well, that's on the staff too. More importantly, if Allen is going to shred the players for "not executing", and we know he has no trouble calling out some coaches, why would he not call out Walt Bell for some of his play calling/schemes? This goes to my first point above and is further evidence (or reference), that perhaps Walt Bell ain't the only cook in the kitchen when it comes to deciding how this offense is going to play. This arguement isn't some grand conspiracy. Rather, it seems pretty apparent that there is a puppet master here.

I have no idea how Tom will be able to retain players after the season. I have no idea how we will get players either. You need money for both, and right now there isn't any NIL money. And unlike last year when I received phone calls and emails, this year, i have received nothing. Which is odd, because I made two not insignificant contributions to NIL. You have to wonder how far behind we are right now because it would foolish for us to think that the rest of the world does not think Allen is the captain on the Titantic. The Unversity squanders opportunities from Big 10 revenue, and we simply cannot meaningfully compete without NIL and investment. The Unversity should be taking the position that they will try and negotiate with Allen after the season. Assume the university pays the 20 mil buyout. Can we make up the difference over time by putting together a quality program? I suppose you could. Would be nice if McDoppie (McRobbie), hadn't swiped the AD's money for his vanity project--especially given that the Athletics Department is self-funded. We run the risk in this day and age of a Big 10 conference that does not include Indiana in football because I could see a situation where the basketball program is allowed to stay, but not the football program. Not sure how the logisitcs would work, but Indiana Basketball no longer has that cache to put its foot down. Not saying this will happen, but it would be foolish to not think it might be something that could happen.

Bottom line, Tom has to go now. We need to reinvent the program, but that can't be any worse than where we are now.

Yeah, a whole bunch of things, like TA’s Disappointed Dad energy in press conferences, inconsistent statements, and head scratching decision making lead me to believe he is the worst type of boss: an ignorant person who is blind to his own ignorance, doesn’t own his actions and outcomes, micromanages everything, and promotes people who will just submit to that.

I wonder if that whole scene on camera of the players loving on him at the end of the 2020 Wisconsin game was sincere or not. Maybe it was and then getting rich corrupted him?

You cannot play this bad for 2 and half (give or take 2 games), seasons, and have an expectation to keep your job. No way.

Offense was terrible.
Defense was terrible.

We look extraoridinarly disorganized and undisciplined. That is 100% on Allen and staff. We just got our asses handed to us a by a team that had been a peer (or worse), and it wasn't even that close.

I did a deep dive as part of my weekly insomnia on everything Walt Bell has coordinated at every stop (thank you youtbe). First, he ain't the guy. I'm baffled but what he is trying to accomplish out there other than coach speak. Second, at no point in Walt Bell's career has EVER, EVER coordinated or been a part of an offense at the collegiate level that looks like this. Not even when Maryland was down to their 4th string walk on QB did they run this crap that we put on the field. You go back and pull up Arkansas St, North Carolina, Maryland, etc. it has always been a spread offense (sometimes to run, but more often than not, it was pass heavy). Matt Weaver, the best in the business, asked Walt Bell a question about what the hell the offense's identify is, and Walt gave him back some coaching babble about "we are a running offense with elements of option" I'm paraphrasing, but it is close. I've coached, and in 2023, I have no idea what that means. Are you like the old Boise State that had multiple formations, motions and sets? Nope, we ain't that. We ain't Rich Rod's WVU offense. We aren't Iowa. We aren't Army/Air Force/Navy. I have no clue what we are except a collection of plays that Walt Bell has never ran before (for the most part), at ANY COLLEGIATE JOB where he coordinated. To build on my thoughts, we went from running a Baylor type offense last year at the start (wide splits for receivers, hurry up, pass heavy) to the Dexter Williams offense (which by the way, I give credit to Bell for installing in such a short time period), to this Mulligan stew of plays that we have now. One thing I know about OC's is that they like to run their offense, tweak it but keep the principles the same. We ain't doing that now--it is 3 different offenses over the last 13 games. That's insane. I can see 2 because Dexter has special running traits and isn't the greatest passer, but 3????? Insane. I have pretty good educated guess, and I've said before, the style of play is being dicated to him. It has to be the case. I do not see any other answer. Putting aside the issue that we haven't really developed a lick of coherence (some of that is on him, some on the players), is the fact that I can't stand what our offense is. I don't see a big picture. I certainly don't see stresses being put on the defense. Some of that is perhaps we can't because the OL still struggles, some of that is that we run just a bunch of different plays with very little system building. It is clear that our best running back, and it really isn't close, is Turner. Unlike Lucas, Turner really sees the field, takes his cut and goes. His vision is really good. Unfortunately, Lucas' vision as a running back not good. He's just too easy to defend (note--I have no problem with Lucas running inside. You have to run inside, otherwise he is just a one trick pony. His problem is not seeing things and dancing. I'm sure he is just trying to make plays, but it doesn't work like that at this level. Bottom line: Walt Bell isn't good, but I am convinced he is being told what to run. Perhaps not on an individual play level (althought that clearly might happen on occassion), but rather how we want to play.

Not sure Tayven is the answer either. I liked how Sorsby played and he brings a much needed running element to the offense than Jackson. If I had to be the farm, I would say that there is a dispute between coaches as to who should start at QB, and that dispute has been ongoing. Tom Allen seems to have bent over backwards to make sure Jackson was the starter if it was remotely close. First time in history I have heard a coach say a player wasn't a great practice player, but let's see how he does in gametime. Sorry, but that is nonsense.

Tom Allen should be worried less about coaches and players swearing and more focus on organization and structure. Less time giving the yelling rah rah speeches every practice and game, and more time trying to fund raise and MANAGING this roster. Does anybody see another win on the schedule? I don't see one anymore. 5 games into the season and we have actually gotten worse each game. Tom told us last week (before Akron on his radio show), that IU had a great week of practice. Well, after the Akron game he said whe didn't practice well that week. You cannot reconcile those statements. After the game yesterday, he told us that the team had a great week of practice. Should we believe that? Dunno, I'm struggling to believe it. Allen has no problems throwing Coach KT under the bus over multiple seasons. He's done it publically. Toward's the end of the Hiller era, he finally jumped into Hiller's stuff. Yesterday after the game Allen blamed the players for not executing. Yet Monday, Walt Bell told us that when coaches use the words "failing to execute", you as a coach are blaming the players. Well, that's on the staff too. More importantly, if Allen is going to shred the players for "not executing", and we know he has no trouble calling out some coaches, why would he not call out Walt Bell for some of his play calling/schemes? This goes to my first point above and is further evidence (or reference), that perhaps Walt Bell ain't the only cook in the kitchen when it comes to deciding how this offense is going to play. This arguement isn't some grand conspiracy. Rather, it seems pretty apparent that there is a puppet master here.

I have no idea how Tom will be able to retain players after the season. I have no idea how we will get players either. You need money for both, and right now there isn't any NIL money. And unlike last year when I received phone calls and emails, this year, i have received nothing. Which is odd, because I made two not insignificant contributions to NIL. You have to wonder how far behind we are right now because it would foolish for us to think that the rest of the world does not think Allen is the captain on the Titantic. The Unversity squanders opportunities from Big 10 revenue, and we simply cannot meaningfully compete without NIL and investment. The Unversity should be taking the position that they will try and negotiate with Allen after the season. Assume the university pays the 20 mil buyout. Can we make up the difference over time by putting together a quality program? I suppose you could. Would be nice if McDoppie (McRobbie), hadn't swiped the AD's money for his vanity project--especially given that the Athletics Department is self-funded. We run the risk in this day and age of a Big 10 conference that does not include Indiana in football because I could see a situation where the basketball program is allowed to stay, but not the football program. Not sure how the logisitcs would work, but Indiana Basketball no longer has that cache to put its foot down. Not saying this will happen, but it would be foolish to not think it might be something that could happen.

Bottom line, Tom has to go now. We need to reinvent the program, but that can't be any worse than where we are now.
I believe much of our offensive struggles lie in the fact we have never developed an offensive identity since DeBoer left. We just seem to recruit kids we can land and then try to throw an offense together. That’s backwards. You need to have an offensive system in place and find kids to fit that system. As you said, it’s clear Allen needs to go. Anyone who has been an IU football fan for any period of time has seen this before, particularly with Lynch and Dinardo. We don’t compete with any quality opponent and slide by teams we should easily handle. The program is just a mess.

If IU wants fans to take the program seriously, then the university needs to show the fans they are serious about putting a winning product on the field.

Allen's inability to choose the best QB two years in a row is telling. Last year, Williams should've been the guy from jump street. Williams was the man against MSU and looked dazzling in his time against Purdue prior to being injured.

It appears he has once again chosen the wrong guy to be QB. Jackson struggled mightily against MAC foe, Akron. Sorsby should've been the starter yesterday. Jackson's inaccurate passing are drive killers.

The problems are immense. Dolson will be forced to make a move this year if they go 2-10. With big time football schools moving into the conference next year, the stakes only get higher.

Kentucky SPANKED Florida to move to 5-0, Louisville is 5-0, and iu is staring a 2-10 season in the face!! It's embarrassing 😳.

Offense was terrible.
Defense was terrible.

First and foremost, I am not a football play by play guy at all. That being said (and this may sound stupid) what did the offense look like when Allen was at Ben Davis? What we are trying to do feels like what good high school programs are able to do in Indiana.

If there is pressure from Allen, it seems like going back to what is simple and he knows might be showing on the field a bit.

Just my highly uneducated (and likely dumbing it way down) 2 cents.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yeah, a whole bunch of things, like TA’s Disappointed Dad energy in press conferences, inconsistent statements, and head scratching decision making lead me to believe he is the worst type of boss: an ignorant person who is blind to his own ignorance, doesn’t own his actions and outcomes, micromanages everything, and promotes people who will just submit to that.

I wonder if that whole scene on camera of the players loving on him at the end of the 2020 Wisconsin game was sincere or not. Maybe it was and then getting rich corrupted him?
Very well put. "ignorant person who is blind to his own ignorance". Unfortunately he seems to be just one of many like that in the IU athletic department.

• Love
Reactions: jsenleo and td75
No. Cannng him now and going with an interim would essentially be throwing in the towel on the season. Can't do that at 2-3, with a bye week coming up, and struggling teams like MSU, Illinois and Purdue still ahead.

Allen should get the full season. If we finish at 4-8 or worse, IU needs to come up with the buyout and usher him out.

Finally, Jackson has some talent but he is wildly inconsistent. Sorsby deserves a shot. Better yet, maybe Williams will be ready by Homecoming on Oct 21 versus Rutgers. No, he's not a great passer but he's a dynamic player and presents a challenge for defenses with his legs and ability to extend plays.

Michael Penix is probably going to win the Heisman trophy this year and Tom Allen could not win with him. I feel bad for both quarterbacks. They are talented players, playing for incompetent coaches.
Allen did win with Penix. The problem was he couldn't stay healthy.

Penix is obviously a special talent. Neither Jackson nor Sorsby begin to approach him in ability.

First and foremost, I am not a football play by play guy at all. That being said (and this may sound stupid) what did the offense look like when Allen was at Ben Davis? What we are trying to do feels like what good high school programs are able to do in Indiana.

If there is pressure from Allen, it seems like going back to what is simple and he knows might be showing on the field a bit.

Just my highly uneducated (and likely dumbing it way down) 2 cents.
Don't know. I do know that Allen's record as Ben Davis Coach wasn't that good:

2004: 10-3
2005: 6-5
2006: 9-4

I believe the 6-5 season was the worst season Ben Davis had in over 20 years.

Mark, you paralleled my thought about not seeing a big picture to the program. After 6+ seasons it's still a jigsaw puzzle, mostly remaining in the box.
Sorsby better handles poor situations, pressures on the field and also iffy coaching.
If Coach Allen is truly micromanaging the offense it also makes sense he's administrating the same management style on the D as the putrid results there follow the same timeline. Yes, bite the bullet and assign Carey interim HC responsibilities(I believe the HCing job is why he's stayed on board)and he can audition. Maybe he shines or we move on smartly and boldly. Tom Allen now has a broken but proven pedigree that IUFB must act on.
But again fine thoughts from a coach's perspective.

I get it. A loss is a loss, regardless of whether it’s close, competitive or a blow out.

BUT, both Dinardo’s last team in ‘04 (a fluke win at Oregon, an inspired upset of a Gopher bowl bound team, and 3 blown lead/competitive close losses vs MSU, Illinois and PSU) and Lynch’s last 2 teams in ‘09 and ‘10 (close, blown leads, kick in the sack kind of losses vs UM and Iowa BOTH YEARS, and the Northwestern blown lead in ‘09) looked way better coached, much better prepared and made many of those games WAY MORE competitive than TA teams have been now for the 3rd year in a row.

While GD, nor BL may not have been great coaches, and were rightfully shown the door, at least their teams looked coached up and prepared most weeks with obvious lesser talent. I can’t say the same about, for the 3rd season in a row, TA’s teams, which is sad. Most of the games the last 3 years have been over by halftime.

Last edited:
Allen's inability to choose the best QB two years in a row is telling. Last year, Williams should've been the guy from jump street. Williams was the man against MSU and looked dazzling in his time against Purdue prior to being injured.

It appears he has once again chosen the wrong guy to be QB. Jackson struggled mightily against MAC foe, Akron. Sorsby should've been the starter yesterday. Jackson's inaccurate passing are drive killers.

The problems are immense. Dolson will be forced to make a move this year if they go 2-10. With big time football schools moving into the conference next year, the stakes only get higher.

Kentucky SPANKED Florida to move to 5-0, Louisville is 5-0, and iu is staring a 2-10 season in the face!! It's embarrassing 😳.
I don't understand everyone's infatuation with Dexter Williams. Yes we had a nice win against MSU and had a decent quarter against Purdue. However if you believe Williams is a guy you can win with consistently you are wrong. His passing is not even close to Tayven Jackson. His completion percentage was terrible. We would not have won many more games with him starting earlier in the season and thrr is n guarantee we would have beaten MSU if they had more time to prepare.

I don't understand everyone's infatuation with Dexter Williams. Yes we had a nice win against MSU and had a decent quarter against Purdue. However if you believe Williams is a guy you can win with consistently you are wrong. His passing is not even close to Tayven Jackson. His completion percentage was terrible. We would not have won many more games with him starting earlier in the season and thrr is n guarantee we would have beaten MSU if they had more time to prepare.

Yea, Dexter wasn't much of a passer (or at least wasn't given much of a chance to pass) but he was able to keep the offense moving a lot better than we have seen with other QBs due to his mobility.

Hopefully Carey either ditches the triple option or puts Dexter in when he is healthy because he is best suited for that style.

I don't get it either.

Dexter is and could be a very good player. But he didn't look like a starting Big 10 quarterback to me. If we were a full on option team, sure.

But I don't see the next coming of Randle El .

How many times can I say we don't know what his % would be if Bell didn't put him on third team not being coached and throwing on air. I do know coach DeBoer recruited him and thought he would be a very good QB. If Bell knew how to call plays that he was very good about, like in the OT his % would have been higher just like throwing the TD pass against OSU.

How many times can I say we don't know what his % would be if Bell didn't put him on third team not being coached and throwing on air. I do know coach DeBoer recruited him and thought he would be a very good QB. If Bell knew how to call plays that he was very good about, like in the OT his % would have been higher just like throwing the TD pass against OSU.
He was a very late addition to the class. We needed another quarterback and he was available. He is athletic so if he did not work at quarterback he could possibly change positions. That is what I have I have always believed about Williams. I don't know if that is what the staff thought or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT