ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana -26

Told my Purdue buddy that IU is just letting more years go by under Woodson. He has got some talent, but the roster balance and makeup is not very good. Throw in some chemistry issues, and this team just is not very good. I hope I am wrong, but making the tourney will be tough for this group.
You are talking Big 10 tourney, right?

I’m starting to think a guy could potentially make a decent living waiting for a Cav prediction and going opposite. This year’s favorite is X and he honestly might be the worst pure point guard I’ve ever seen. 6 years in and he’s still shoot first, pass only when necessary.

Reactions: kmathum and Jssanto
Told my Purdue buddy that IU is just letting more years go by under Woodson. He has got some talent, but the roster balance and makeup is not very good. Throw in some chemistry issues, and this team just is not very good. I hope I am wrong, but making the tourney will be tough for this group.
Good points about roster balance and makeup. This team has a good PG, a promising freshman PG, and an average 2 guard and that's it for guard play. None of the guards on the bench have proven they are worthy of PT. The miss on guys like Dalton Knecht in the portal was much bigger than landing Mgbako. This team is starving for guards in a game dominated by good guard play. In hindsight, Woody should've done everything possible to keep Bates, but I bet he thought he'd land a top portal upperclassmen guard.

Reactions: Pryght
Good points about roster balance and makeup. This team has a good PG, a promising freshman PG, and an average 2 guard and that's it for guard play. None of the guards on the bench have proven they are worthy of PT. The miss on guys like Dalton Knecht in the portal was much bigger than landing Mgbako. This team is starving for guards in a game dominated by good guard play. In hindsight, Woody should've done everything possible to keep Bates, but I bet he thought he'd land a top portal upperclassmen guard.
Please tell me that last sentence is a joke. And are you really saying X is a “good pg”? Wow.

I agree it appears we are not balanced. Plenty of bigs but no shooters.
I can’t comment about chemistry, I am not at practices or in the locker room. But It is hugely disappointing if that is the case.

Boys and girls. Want to win some money? Bet your Hoosiers tonight. This will be a 95-45 kinda game. The defense will stifle, and the general will be felt.

Sad I am not gonna be in the hall for this one as I expect a cool tribute for Coach Knight tonight. Still can't believe we did not beat PU when he was in attendance, Archie should have been fired directly after that game.

Army is the worst team we will play all year, and this is a classic cupcake game. Our size and athleticism will prove too much, for the little soldiers.

What I really hope to see is Banks and CJ play better. If they cannot give us a good scoring punch off the bench, my theory of a deep bench goes to shit real quick. One of them needs to be an 8-10 pointy scorer off the bench this year. Cupps is everything that Indiana fans want, but we need more. Sparks will bring that, but that brings up the question of injuries. It would be foolish to think we won't have someone (if not multiple players) out most of the season. Really need the sophomores to step up. Woody calling them out for being lost on D is inexcusable in year 2. Especially when Cupps is on the floor closing in his first game as a Hoosier.

Enjoy the free money. ALL ABOARD!!!

Howdy Hoss! And a fine day to you'ins. Shall we do the same bet this year: straight up - who goes further Boilers or Hoosiers

Howdy Hoss! And a fine day to you'ins. Shall we do the same bet this year: straight up - who goes further Boilers or Hoosiers
Buford!!! Probably. But I’m not that dumb. Give me a few months. Still can’t believe you chickened out last year. But, obviously, was a smart move!! 😘

Plenty of front court issues. MM/Reneau/Ware are unplayable together and Reneau and MM are absolutely lost on defense.

MM is a small concern, he is a freshman playing like one. Reneau is playing out of position most of the time because Ware is the rim protector. These are things that can be ironed out and/or covered with scheme/coaching.

There is nothing that can change X being our best guard, and that's a problem.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I’m starting to think a guy could potentially make a decent living waiting for a Cav prediction and going opposite. This year’s favorite is X and he honestly might be the worst pure point guard I’ve ever seen. 6 years in and he’s still shoot first, pass only when necessary.
You realize X is averaging 4.9 assists per game for his career right? That is better than Yogi 4.6 and Bailey 3.6.

X is not going to be the reason we have a bad year, if in fact we do.

MM is a small concern, he is a freshman playing like one. Reneau is playing out of position most of the time because Ware is the rim protector. These are things that can be ironed out and/or covered with scheme/coaching.

There is nothing that can change X being our best guard, and that's a problem.
Xavier's play through 2 games is FAR less concerning than MM and Reneau's. If you don't see that I don't know what else to tell you.

I'm not entirely sure how any coach could see it that way. The offense has totally sucked these first 2 games. A real point guard gets guys in the right sets and runs the show. X is way too concerned about getting his. Can he fix it? Sure he can. And I really hope he does. The entire season depends on him running a clean offense.

You realize X is averaging 4.9 assists per game for his career right? That is better than Yogi 4.6 and Bailey 3.6.

X is not going to be the reason we have a bad year, if in fact we do.
I'm not talking about dishing the ball to TJD. I'm talking only about this year. X has the ball on every single possession and is averaging 3 assists AND 2 TURNOVERS per game while running the most ragged offense (if that's even what it is) I've ever seen. He's not a PURE pg. He's much more of a scoring guard who can't really shoot.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure how any coach could see it that way. The offense has totally sucked these first 2 games. A real point guard gets guys in the right sets and runs the show. X is way too concerned about getting his. Can he fix it? Sure he can. And I really hope he does. The entire season depends on him running a clean offense.
Good grief. They run maybe 2 Zoom sets a game. X is doing what he’s supposed to do. The bigs aren’t passing out of the double. Especially Malik.

I'm not talking about dishing the ball to TJD. I'm talking only about this year. X has the ball on every single possession and is averaging 3 assists AND 2 TURNOVERS per game while running the most ragged offense (if that's even what it is) I've ever seen. He's not a PURE pg. He's much more of a scoring guard who can't really shoot.
Yep. For sure a moron.

Why do you consistently name call? Seriously, are you really an IU grad? I'd like to think educated people can discuss topics in a much more mature manner.

All aboard boy, and moron are both name calling. A real IU grad would know that. I don't discuss things with you because I don't respect your opinion. You reiterate why, almost every time you post. It's nonsense that deserves no time and effort.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
First off X spent 4 years on 2 different teams to get 4.9 assists per game. Second, you are making a snap judgement on 2 games in which our offense was pretty bad.

He's played off the ball for stretches in both games, for what its worth.

Also, he's currently our best perimeter scorer, I'd like for him to be even more aggressive with the ball.

Also, he's one of our best perimeter defenders.

He's a damn good B10 level guard, whatever position you want to put him at.

Also, he's currently our best perimeter scorer, I'd like for him to be even more aggressive with the ball.

Good point. In both games X spent about 1/3 of his minutes as the 2 with Cupps running point. I didn’t think about that but certainly also impacting his assist numbers.

Army lost to Stonehill College 57-44.
Stonehill College lost to UCONN 107-67!
Army is #338 on Pomeroy!
Stonehill College who thumped Army, is down to Saint Joseph 60-21 in the second half!

Not denying any of that. He absolutely is a “damn good B10 level guard.” My only concern is he’s not a great pg. This team needs one desperately. JHS was that last year and we did ok. Unless X (or Cupps) develops those skills, Woody’s offense is probably gonna look a whole lot like it has. Our bigs aren’t going to suddenly become point forwards. I’ll keep hoping to see more.

All aboard boy, and moron are both name calling. A real IU grad would know that. I don't discuss things with you because I don't respect your opinion. You reiterate why, almost every time you post. It's nonsense that deserves no time and effort.
I’m crushed. 😂 But I did notice you failed to answer the question.

Last edited:
Not denying any of that. He absolutely is a “damn good B10 level guard.” My only concern is he’s not a great pg. This team needs one desperately. JHS was that last year and we did ok. Unless X (or Cupps) develops those skills, Woody’s offense is probably gonna look a whole lot like it has. Our bigs aren’t going to suddenly become point forwards. I’ll keep hoping to see more.
I think X is every bit as good a "PG" as JHS was, if not better.

Better on the ball defender.
Better passer.

JHS was a better scorer, and overall, probably a better shooter. Though the numbers don't bear out that he's a better shooter.

JHS has an NBA body, and had the ability to take over games and score in bunches. I wish they had played together for a full year...we'd have been a lot better, and I wonder if JHS would still be here if he hadn't been forced to play PG once X went down.

Better passer.

JHS was a better scorer, and overall, probably a better shooter. Though the numbers don't bear out that he's a better shooter.

JHS has an NBA body, and had the ability to take over games and score in bunches. I wish they had played together for a full year...we'd have been a lot better, and I wonder if JHS would still be here if he hadn't been forced to play PG once X went down.
JHS and X would have been fun to watch for a season.

Better passer.

Truth is, I’m not sure either is a legit point guard. Both seem to be off guards to me. But to your point, X is clearly a better defender and passer.

Xavier's play through 2 games is FAR less concerning than MM and Reneau's. If you don't see that I don't know what else to tell you.

I don't think we are arguing the same topic. X has been better so far this year, yes. But MM and MR I expect to get better as the year goes on, maybe some slight changes to our defensive scheme will help MR. Also playing a team like UCONN will help us (odd to think but yes) as they won't basically be playing 4 guards at the same time.

Xavier isn't going to get better, he may have a couple games where he plays better than against Army, maybe, but overall he won't really get better. And that's a problem.

First two games, yes, front court is a big issue. But I expect that to end up working better for us as the season goes on. I am also expecting we will need better guard play at some point and where does that come from?

I don't think we are arguing the same topic. X has been better so far this year, yes. But MM and MR I expect to get better as the year goes on, maybe some slight changes to our defensive scheme will help MR. Also playing a team like UCONN will help us (odd to think but yes) as they won't basically be playing 4 guards at the same time.

Xavier isn't going to get better, he may have a couple games where he plays better than against Army, maybe, but overall he won't really get better. And that's a problem.

First two games, yes, front court is a big issue. But I expect that to end up working better for us as the season goes on. I am also expecting we will need better guard play at some point and where does that come from?
XJ's best is already enough....that's the point being made, he isn't the problem. If XJ averages 14-15 ppg with a decent A/TO ratio he'll find himself on an all-conference team. Who else is going to step up and play at an all-conference level? Remains to be seen but X's ceiling (if you want to call it that) isn't the problem right now.

XJ's best is already enough....that's the point being made, he isn't the problem. If XJ averages 14-15 ppg with a decent A/TO ratio he'll find himself on an all-conference team. Who else is going to step up and play at an all-conference level? Remains to be seen but X's ceiling (if you want to call it that) isn't the problem right now.

I don't trust Xavier to do that for a whole season, do you? 2 years ago he averaged 12 and 5, and I figure that's about where he ends up this year. He might get stats similar to his Pitt days I suppose, but those teams didn't win anything. Is being the best guard on a team that doesn't have guards and is likely a mid-pack conference team make him an all-conference player?

I don't trust Xavier to do that for a whole season, do you? 2 years ago he averaged 12 and 5, and I figure that's about where he ends up this year. He might get stats similar to his Pitt days I suppose, but those teams didn't win anything. Is being the best guard on a team that doesn't have guards and is likely a mid-pack conference team make him an all-conference player?
He averaged 12 and 5 because TJD was an ultra-efficient, high usage player down on the block. Why wouldn't you play through him in that scenario every time down? There's no TJD on this team this year. His usage will go up as will his production.

He averaged 12 and 5 because TJD was an ultra-efficient, high usage player down on the block. Why wouldn't you play through him in that scenario every time down? There's no TJD on this team this year. His usage will go up as will his production.
I agree. It looks like Ware and X are going to carry this team offensively with the occasional good games from Galloway and Reneau. I believe X will probably be around 15-16 ppg this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT