ADVERTISEMENT

Home ownership

I didn't do a lot of movie watching at IU...don't even remember where the College Mall theater was.

Do remember catching Cape Fear at the Indiana/Buskirk in school. Only time I can remember watching something at the Union was stumbling into a midnight showing of 3:10 to Yuma coming home from the Kirkwood bars one year when staying there.

Did watch Pulp Fiction at least 3-4 times in the theater in Dallas when that came out. Had one of those "two week notice" dead weeks where I had to sit in limbo for a couple weeks before I could start the new gig. Think I watched it back to back one Monday at the early matinees while everyone else was at work. :D
I watched Animal House at the Indiana theater in Bloomington.

I also saw Carrie at the Princess theater and Let It Be (the original movie) at the Union theater, whatever that was called.

I think those were the only movies I saw at IU.

EDIT: I guess I did see Deer Hunter at College Mall theater.

Reactions: larsIU
So....13 year olds...

locally in 8th grade they're studying the Holocaust this year. Doing the museum on the DC trip.

Would you show Schindler's List to a 13 year old at home...or let the schools and museums do the work?

Thinking it should be OK for a 13 year old? Thoughts?
I don't think my daughter would have been ready to see it at 13. The movie is so graphic, I would wait.

We went to the Holocaust Museum when she was 10 and it made an impression, but I don't think it scarred her or anything.

Pretty sure, the Von Lee and Indiana/Buskirk were the only places I saw movies while I was there. I can't remember going to a movie at the mall. Maybe, I did, but damned if I remember it.

Sad to see The Von Lee as a Noodles & Co or whatever the hell it is now.
I did see a Russian movie at the Von Lee - our Russian class went.

I could not BELIEVE how crowded that theater was. Evidently Bloomington used to have (maybe still has?) a large ethnic Russian population. Not sure why - obviously for the University. I know the Russian and Slavic East European Institute was one of the best schools in the country for Russian. I think the music school also brought a lot in.

During or right after WWII, IU used to train military Russian linguists.

We have a Russian Conversation class that was led by a total hottie. Her husband was there for the music school. She was a total Marxist and hate my 2 friends and I who had just come out of the military and didn't take our studies as seriously as she thought we should. But what an ice queen.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I also saw Carrie at the Princess theater and Let It Be (the original movie) at the Union theater, whatever that was called.
Whittenberger auditorium?

I went to a lot of movies during my first few years. Breaking Away every time it was shown, Platoon, Hoosiers, Children of a Lesser God, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Stand by Me, and god knows how many others, but usually a group of us and likely under the influence of something.

Reactions: DANC and larsIU

I went to a lot of movies during my first few years. Breaking Away every time it was shown, Platoon, Hoosiers, Children of a Lesser God, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Stand by Me, and god knows how many others, but usually a group of us and likely under the influence of something.
i guess ben affleck was late to the golden globes. watch this video adn turn up the volume. i have a feeling ben would be a lot of fun to have as a friend - with all his misery videos and pics standing alone smoking lol. i bet damon's reaction is one ben gets often when he shows up somewhere and his friends see him

Reactions: BradStevens
i guess ben affleck was late to the golden globes. watch this video adn turn up the volume. i have a feeling ben would be a lot of fun to have as a friend - with all his misery videos and pics standing alone smoking lol. i bet damon's reaction is one ben gets often when he shows up somewhere and his friends see him

Except when he lost his shit on Bill Maher a few years ago but I think we can chalk that up to steroids induced rage as he was gearing up for the Batman role.

Anyone who has stayed in touch with childhood friends has at least one who is still a knob. If you have stayed in touch and you don't have one, guess who the knob is?

Anyone who has stayed in touch with childhood friends has at least one who is still a knob. If you have stayed in touch and you don't have one, guess who the knob is?

I think all I knew were knobs....

Including me.
two of my best friends since grade school and i were riding to a dispensary a few months ago to check on product. my one buddy goes "man. would we have ever thought we'd be doing this when we got out of college?" none of us said anything for about five minutes. then my other buddy goes "we'd have just shot ourselves then.”:) The knob rotates

Last edited:

Yes! Whittenberger. Breaking Away was being made while I was a Senior, so I never actually saw it at IU.

Rocky Horror Picture show was shown all the time then, but I could only sit through half of it.

This raises a question, how old were people when they first bought a home? I was nearly 33. So maybe that is why I don't see 25 year-olds not buying as a crisis.
I was 23 and paid 89k for a 3 bedroom ranch…that was 1998. Sold in 2004 and bought a small house with finished basement on 25 acres for roughly 160k. I was lucky….those days are long gone

Went to the wedding of the daughter of friends in Georgia. Big Methodist church in Buckhead area of Atlanta. Jim told us later that as he was preparing to walk Julie down the aisle that the whole shebang was costing him $1,633 per step.

“Damn, and that’s one long church.”

“Yeah, I know. . . . . “

My guess is about $200,000 total.
I paid $18 for our wedding….actually the wife’s brother paid. Weddings and funerals are the biggest scam going

I was 23 and paid 89k for a 3 bedroom ranch…that was 1998. Sold in 2004 and bought a small house with finished basement on 25 acres for roughly 160k. I was lucky….those days are long gone
25 acres!! Wow. That’s awesome. What do you do with it? Atv’s and stuff?

Mark, I've read many parents don't feel obligated any longer to their kids with gifts or inheritance after having been hit with the cost of college educations

Think of the double hit some young couples have today. College loans and mortgage payments. Not to mention car loans and in some cases daycare for children.

I'm not seeing that yet. A couple of young 30s just bought a house down the block for a big number. They are in business, but there's no way their jobs command a salary that wouldn't allow for some help.

And let's stop crying for Millenials (of which I'm included) and Gen Z. I dealt with loans, then mortgage payments, which lowered the size of our first house (prompted a need to upsize at the peak of rates). My parents paid for daycare, etc. Cost have gone up, but that's just a result of more stringent regulations (not necessarily a bad thing) and our society's warped logic that overemphasizes the need for degrees.

We need to encourage more tradesman, more daycare workers, etc. We need more legal immigration.

Last 2 houses I've sold I didn't use a realtor. The first sale was to a friend of a friend who knew I wanted to sell.

The next one I put on Zillow and sold in 1 day. Neighbor used a realtor and sold their house for about the same price, but had to pay over $30k to the realtor.
To many options now than to pay 3-6% to a cardboard cutout. Sorry. Not paying for your bloated advertising budget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT