ADVERTISEMENT

Home ownership

I saw Pulp Fiction and Dazed and Confused like 4-5 times each in a theater at IU.

I remember the opening scene of The Matrix and the gasp in the theater when Trinity hangs in the air and then beats the shit out of the cops.

Now everybody is doing that in their homes. Tis sad.
I didn't do a lot of movie watching at IU...don't even remember where the College Mall theater was.

Do remember catching Cape Fear at the Indiana/Buskirk in school. Only time I can remember watching something at the Union was stumbling into a midnight showing of 3:10 to Yuma coming home from the Kirkwood bars one year when staying there.

Did watch Pulp Fiction at least 3-4 times in the theater in Dallas when that came out. Had one of those "two week notice" dead weeks where I had to sit in limbo for a couple weeks before I could start the new gig. Think I watched it back to back one Monday at the early matinees while everyone else was at work. :D

oh we should watch
Seen it.
How about
Seen it.

I’m thinking this little bitch is with me nearly all the time and EVERY fri day Saturday and Sunday. When is she going to movies

When are you going to the theatre to see these movies?
I’m not. They’re just all on tv now

Fing hell
Started watching Murder at the End of the World with daughter last night, and the first episode was good. Hoping it will hold her interest and she won't binge without me. Fits right into every woman's wheelhouse--serial killer, mystery solver, with a strong female protaganist that looks like a young Jodi Foster.

With you, brotha.

And I'll say, disappointedly, "I wanted to watch that with you." And the daughter says "Ok, gotta go. So-and-so is picking me up."

keanu reeves artists on tumblr GIF by gifnews
i know that is coming and i will be devastated and heart-broken as that girl is my shadow. my only advice is to try to impregnate people out of wedlock and stagger it about every decade. that way you'll have anohter one coming up

Started watching Murder at the End of the World with daughter last night, and the first episode was good. Hoping it will hold her interest and she won't binge without me. Fits right into every woman's wheelhouse--serial killer, mystery solver, with a strong female protaganist that looks like a young Jodi Foster.
i thought you only had your boy. i didn't realize you have a daughter. how old is she? my daughter and i have opened up new worlds of shows now that she is 13 but it's still disappointing how much is rated R or MA. you guys should watch the new squid game. it's kind of fun and we enjoyed it together

i know that is coming and i will be devastated and heart-broken as that girl is my shadow. my only advice is to try to impregnate people out of wedlock and stagger it about every decade. that way you'll have anohter one coming up
OK, I'll work on that along with my 10,000 steps with a 35 lb ruck sack.

This is going to be a busy year.

oh we should watch
Seen it.
How about
Seen it.

I’m thinking this little bitch is with me nearly all the time and EVERY fri day Saturday and Sunday. When is she going to movies

When are you going to the theatre to see these movies?
I’m not. They’re just all on tv now

Fing hell
Looking at the local list, I see three that I know will be legit...can't say I've said that in awhile:

Iron Claw - the Texas Von Erich brothers and the World Famous Dallas Sportatorium of the 80's. I mean...America...

Ferrari - I'm guessing something similar to Ford v Ferrari or Rush (the James Hunt F1 movie)

Wonka - heard it's more "Wilder", less "Depp"...which is good.

i thought you only had your boy. i didn't realize you have a daughter. how old is she? my daughter and i have opened up new worlds of shows now that she is 13 but it's still disappointing how much is rated R or MA. you guys should watch the new squid game. it's kind of fun and we enjoyed it together
Daughter is 16. She watched Squid Game without me.

Sad Vince Mcmahon GIF by Justin

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and larsIU
Looking at the local list, I see three that I know will be legit...can't say I've said that in awhile:

Iron Claw - the Texas Von Erich brothers and the World Famous Dallas Sportatorium of the 80's. I mean...America...

Ferrari - I'm guessing something similar to Ford v Ferrari or Rush (the James Hunt F1 movie)

Bam!!! three movies i'm excited to see in that order. von erich brothers were very tall tho. one was 6'8

Bunch of nominations at the Golden Globes because of the need to be woke, but the only award it won was some bs award they made up for cinematic achievement, probably so the feminazis won’t cry for being blanked by a movie about a “great man”…
Haha. Sure thing. You seem triggered. PS that’s not the only award it won. Do better.

So....13 year olds...

locally in 8th grade they're studying the Holocaust this year. Doing the museum on the DC trip.

Would you show Schindler's List to a 13 year old at home...or let the schools and museums do the work?

Thinking it should be OK for a 13 year old? Thoughts?

So....13 year olds...

locally in 8th grade they're studying the Holocaust this year. Doing the museum on the DC trip.

Would you show Schindler's List to a 13 year old at home...or let the schools and museums do the work?

Thinking it should be OK for a 13 year old? Thoughts?
i have not seen that movie in so long that i don't remember how graphic it is. what's it rated now? i will say we watched anchor man the other night. i'd never seen it. will ferrel walks out with a huge boner in his pants and my daughter screamed laughing. i was like WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I said close your eyes!! so she put a blanket over her head and i heard her laughing under it. sadly they probably know more than we think, but schindler's list might be a lot. i don't know

I worked at the Showcase 13 for like a year.

Worked being a relative term. Saw almost every movie put out in 1997 though.
Pre-kid (1995-2010) we would go just about every night in Dallas if there was good stuff out.

The typical blockbuster theaters, but also had a place called "The Angelika" and Cuban's place "Magnolia" that were more arthouse style Indie flicks. Had Rolling Stone, Entertainment, and a couple other weekly movie publications so I rarely missed a flick...even the poorly reviewed if the story seemed interesting.

I remember being shocked movies like "Kids" and "Happiness" were even made.

Reactions: BradStevens
Bam!!! three movies i'm excited to see in that order. von erich brothers were very tall tho. one was 6'8
Iron Claw was excellent. My high school boyfriend was a huge fan of Big Time wrestling. I got to meet Dick the Bruiser, Andre the Giant, etc. Surprising it didn’t last. 😎 What a sad story, but excellent movie. This has been a really good year for movies and some will be memorable. Oppenheimer, Killers of the Flower Moon, Poor Things, and yes Barbie. Anatomy of a Fall is good and on tv for $5. I do still love going to the theater. Top Gun and Barbie are the two best experiences I’ve had after Covid at the theater.

Depends on the kid, but I'd probably do it.
I'd probably lead with The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. But who wants to watch two Holocaust movies anywhere close to one another? Not this guy.

I think just about any movie that doesn't involved gratuitous sex scenes is ok if you're there watching with them. Even at 13 or 14 years old. Understanding that kind of world can't but help them in those years between 14-18 and beyond.

Since Oct 7 the conversations/diaglogue I have with my 17 y/o daughter have gone from "FREE PALESTINE" to a much more nuanced view of how some regions of the world work and how the US interacts with those parts of the world and, most importantly, WHY. I think it's paid off. Not that she entirely agrees with me or the US's actions, but b/c she now understands the crap online is mostly just that and that understanding an issue as big as Islamic terrorism and the Israel/Palestine conflict can't be done in 140 characters or even anywhere online.

Now, has she actually read a book or investiated it further. Oh hell no. But it's a start.

I didn't do a lot of movie watching at IU...don't even remember where the College Mall theater was.

Do remember catching Cape Fear at the Indiana/Buskirk in school. Only time I can remember watching something at the Union was stumbling into a midnight showing of 3:10 to Yuma coming home from the Kirkwood bars one year when staying there.

Did watch Pulp Fiction at least 3-4 times in the theater in Dallas when that came out. Had one of those "two week notice" dead weeks where I had to sit in limbo for a couple weeks before I could start the new gig. Think I watched it back to back one Monday at the early matinees while everyone else was at work. :D
Pretty sure, the Von Lee and Indiana/Buskirk were the only places I saw movies while I was there. I can't remember going to a movie at the mall. Maybe, I did, but damned if I remember it.

Sad to see The Von Lee as a Noodles & Co or whatever the hell it is now.

i have not seen that movie in so long that i don't remember how graphic it is. what's it rated now? i will say we watched anchor man the other night. i'd never seen it. will ferrel walks out with a huge boner in his pants and my daughter screamed laughing. i was like WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I said close your eyes!! so she put a blanket over her head and i heard her laughing under it. sadly they probably know more than we think, but schindler's list might be a lot. i don't know
That's the part my son laughed at the hardest. He was squealing laughing so hard. Good stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Depends on the kid, but I'd probably do it.
Maybe "Schindler's List" followed by "Saving Private Ryan" back to back in a sorta a pieced together "This is Why We Fight" Band of Brothers type lesson?

I dunno. Maybe.

She's gone to see Trolls 3 about 4 times this month...so she ain't too growed up yet. :D

Pre-kid (1995-2010) we would go just about every night in Dallas if there was good stuff out.

The typical blockbuster theaters, but also had a place called "The Angelika" and Cuban's place "Magnolia" that were more arthouse style Indie flicks. Had Rolling Stone, Entertainment, and a couple other weekly movie publications so I rarely missed a flick...even the poorly reviewed if the story seemed interesting.

I remember being shocked movies like "Kids" and "Happiness" were even made.
I think if she is learning about the Holocaust it would be good to watch with her. But if she wants to stop, I’d do that. it’s been a long time since I saw it, but obviously impactful.

The only movies I remember watching in college were Deep Throat and Debbie Does DAllas, and some scary show. Same boyfriend that liked wrestling. Again, shocking we broke up. Actually took a Hitchcock class at IU and we watched movies at Woodburn every Tuesday night. It was great.

• Wow
Reactions: BradStevens
Holy shit. Two of the 5 most ****ed up movies I've ever seen. I know WHY they were made but I still can't believe there were made.

At least Kids gave us Chloe Sevigny and Rosario Dawson.
I remember seeing Happiness in the theater. Tough watch.

Reactions: larsIU
Iron Claw was excellent. My high school boyfriend was a huge fan of Big Time wrestling. I got to meet Dick the Bruiser, Andre the Giant, etc. Surprising it didn’t last. 😎 What a sad story, but excellent movie. This has been a really good year for movies and some will be memorable. Oppenheimer, Killers of the Flower Moon, Poor Things, and yes Barbie. Anatomy of a Fall is good and on tv for $5. I do still love going to the theater. Top Gun and Barbie are the two best experiences I’ve had after Covid at the theater.
i want to see all of those almost in that order lol. i love the peaky blinders guy and want to see oppenheimer but am most excited about Iron Claw. that is too funny re those wrestlers. i met most of those guys from that era. dick the bruiser, king kong brody, etc. wrestling at the chase. my uncle was a cab driver. he got back from vietnam and was a mess. anyway he drover those guys around and became close friends with them and drinking buddies. he would work 18 hours a day 7 days a week for 6 straight months then take the next six months off completely lol

Reactions: Spartans9312
Haha. Sure thing. You seem triggered. PS that’s not the only award it won. Do better.
The movie won one(in a new made up category. Super Mario Bros was also in it lol). The song won one. Who’s triggered? You came running at the whiff of criticism lol.😂

That's the part my son laughed at the hardest. He was squealing laughing so hard. Good stuff.
my favorite and what my daughter loved too is how they'd throw trash. theyre all walking togehter and just throw their corndogs and wrappers on the ground lol. then she loved when he hit jack black withhis burrito and black kicked the dog off the bridge

Sad to see The Von Lee as a Noodles & Co or whatever the hell it is now.

Yeah. Waste of a classic space.

Had a kid I kinda got passed down as guardian of (from my mother) in the early 2000's. ****ing smart kid from westside Indy that had "it", if he woulda stopped trying to be a gangster. Had him enrolled at IU where he was "hustling"...dealing...organizing hip hop shows and parties, etc. Came down to Dallas for break one time where he pitched me and some other IU buddies in Dallas on buying/leasing the Von Lee and letting him run it as a concert venue. Kid had the pro forma profit projections, booking contacts he would use, had a line on a liquor license, etc.

While we were deliberating and actually having attorneys look at his legal reps, he got busted dealing again and punted from IU (second strike, I had to present his case to the Dean once before to keep him on campus).

Kid disappeared. Haven't heard from him since.

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
The movie won one(in a new made up category. Super Mario Bros was also in it lol). The song won one. Who’s triggered? You came running at the whiff of criticism lol.😂
Oh the song isn’t associated with the movie? Who cares how many it won? It’s been nominated at every awards show so far. It’s a great movie, it’s not better than Oppenheimer, Flower Moon, etc. You seem to not be able to stand a movie geared to women. Go back to your Marvel Movies.

I'm not a wrestling fan at all, but want to see Iron Claw soooo bad.

Wonka doesn't appeal to me based on the marketing, but everyone I know who has seen it has raved about it.

Really want to see Boys in the Boat and Napoleon at a theatre.

i want to see all of those almost in that order lol. i love the peaky blinders guy and want to see oppenheimer but am most excited about Iron Claw. that is too funny re those wrestlers. i met most of those guys from that era. dick the bruiser, king kong brody, etc. wrestling at the chase. my uncle was a cab driver. he got back from vietnam and was a mess. anyway he drover those guys around and became close friends with them and drinking buddies. he would work 18 hours a day 7 days a week for 6 straight months then take the next six months off completely lol
I watched a bit of the Midwest based wrestling as a kid with The Bruiser and the Crusher. Think they might have been STL based?

but, man, that was nothing compared to the scene the Von Erich's had down in Dallas at the Sportatorium. This was before wrestling was national with the WWF, but just regional organizations. The Von Erich's were like Dallas Cowboys in Dallas. HS girls LOVED them. They were mainstream superstars. Gods... :D

• Love
I watched a bit of the Midwest based wrestling as a kid with The Bruiser and the Crusher. Think they might have been STL based?

but, man, that was nothing compared to the scene the Von Erich's had down in Dallas at the Sportatorium. This was before wrestling was national with the WWF, but just regional organizations. The Von Erich's were like Dallas Cowboys in Dallas. HS girls LOVED them. They were mainstream superstars. Gods... :D

it was! sam muchnik was the promoter. as a soccer guy you'll appreciate this. it came on sat mornings for one hour on ch 11. then afterwards was soccer made in germany. it too was one hour so didn't even get a full game.

Reactions: larsIU
it was! sam muchnik was the promoter. as a soccer guy you'll appreciate this. it came on sat mornings for one hour on ch 11. then afterwards was soccer made in germany. it too was one hour so didn't even get a full game.

I remember "Soccer Made in Germany". Think it was PBS that ran it in Indy...maybe? Might be wrong. Might have been one of those independent UHF stations up the dial.

I remember "Soccer Made in Germany". Think it was PBS that ran it in Indy...maybe? Might be wrong. Might have been one of those independent UHF stations up the dial.
You might be right. It might have been wrestling on 11 than soccer made in Germany on pbs. I had a.borussia monchengladbach that I wore like a uniform in grade school

This raises a question, how old were people when they first bought a home? I was nearly 33. So maybe that is why I don't see 25 year-olds not buying as a crisis.
I was 26 and my wife was 23. Bought a small house with a 15% VA loan. It was a house that most would look down on today, because it was 3 small BRs and 1 bathroom.

And everyone will say "But it was cheap". Yes, and we were making way less that $25k/year for the both of us.

We bought nicer houses as our income increased. It's not exactly rocket science.

For anyone young, I'd advise jumping in and buying a house you think you can't afford. Not in a trendy area. If you work in Chicago, go to Indiana and ride the train in. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices if your goal is home ownership.

Sorry - I'm just really tired about hearing how tough life is for young people when they have the pick of any job they want if they have any kind of post-high school degree.

The only movies I remember watching in college were Deep Throat and Debbie Does DAllas, and some scary show. Same boyfriend that liked wrestling. Again, shocking we broke up. Actually took a Hitchcock class at IU and we watched movies at Woodburn every Tuesday night. It was great.

When meeting a stranger who says, "You look familiar".

If I will never see the person again, I sometimes respond,"You may remember me as Duke Stevens in Debbie Does Dallas. I was the third from the left in the shower scene".

MM66, don't blame politics. Blame old farts like me.

Why ? I should have sold my home to a young growing family some 20 years ago. A family who could have enjoyed the home and raised a large family. A family who these days couldn't buy my home because of the huge increase in price over the last twenty years.

Because of people like me, the supply of homes hasn't kept up with the demand. As we learned in Econ 101, this causes prices to rise.
Correction - RICH old farts like you.

Middle class schlubs like me downsize and move into communities with restrictive HOAs.

Brad, interesting that you bring up the subject of a hot MIFL.

Up moving into our house in 1986 and meeting the neighbors, all the guys talked about upon meeting me was how much they would miss the young mother who used to live in the house.

It was a " Good to meet ya, but" situation.
I had the opposite situation. When we put our house up for sale, the first gal that came over was an absolute hotty - tall, blonde, big boobs. I was mesmerized. Her 'fiance' at the time had the 2 young kids and arrived late. I told my wife there was no way they could afford our house.

They put an offer in and Boom! It was sold. My Mormon neighbor didn't even thank me, but the 2 lesbians next door were very happy.

This raises a question, how old were people when they first bought a home? I was nearly 33. So maybe that is why I don't see 25 year-olds not buying as a crisis.

1,800 sq ft 3/2 new build in a new golf community in Sachse, TX in 1999. Paid $140k. Zillow has it at $380k now.

Golf club had a $2,800/year "all inclusive" membership.

Was perfect. Pull into the garage after work, grab the clubs, walk across the street and practice/play.

Sold it and moved to Old East Dallas in 2005 for like ($180k, IIRC).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT