ADVERTISEMENT

From the "You can't make this up file": Steve Bannon registered to vote in 2 states

So is Steve Mnuchin and Tiffany Trump.

For the record, being registered in two different states isn't necessarily illegal, so long as you only vote in one. A lot of people are registered in two different states, because almost no one takes the time to un-register; it's up to election boards to clean up the rolls. I'm sure I was still registered in Indiana the first few times I voted in Ohio, and still registered in Ohio the first few times I voted in Indiana after I moved back.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
Is it legal to be registered at a friend's house where he doesn't live? That's what Bannon did.

Also, Trump just today claimed on The Twitter that it's fraud.

For the record, being registered in two different states isn't necessarily illegal, so long as you only vote in one. A lot of people are registered in two different states, because almost no one takes the time to un-register; it's up to election boards to clean up the rolls. I'm sure I was still registered in Indiana the first few times I voted in Ohio, and still registered in Ohio the first few times I voted in Indiana after I moved back.

Last edited:
Shaun Spicer is going to get hammered on this. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Is it legal to be registered at a friend's house where he doesn't live?

No, my understanding (amateur, of course) of Florida law (in this case, most states are the same) is that Bannon's registration there IS fraudulent, because he had no intention of actually residing there.

That was my thinking.

No, my understanding (amateur, of course) of Florida law (in this case, most states are the same) is that Bannon's registration there IS fraudulent, because he had no intention of actually residing there.

I don't. He's part of the problem. He's a liar.
He's been Peter Principled squared. He so far in over his head, and is too cowardly to get out. That suit coat was so ill-fitting because there had to be room for DJT's arm up the back.

Ya know, you and Dr's conjecture here is rather interesting. Yes, Bannon was registered in two states. But, you are basing your claim that he had no intention of actually residing there on nothing other than the fact that he used a friend's address. Yes, it smells. But stink doesn't mean you crapped your pants. Could be just bad gas (or ripping a good one, depending on how you roll).
If you're going to throw a hissy fit every time Trump says something that is not factually supported, then you'd better play by those same rules.

Now, I gotta go see a man about a horse.

Ya know, you and Dr's conjecture here is rather interesting. Yes, Bannon was registered in two states. But, you are basing your claim that he had no intention of actually residing there on nothing other than the fact that he used a friend's address. Yes, it smells. But stink doesn't mean you crapped your pants. Could be just bad gas (or ripping a good one, depending on how you roll).
If you're going to throw a hissy fit every time Trump says something that is not factually supported, then you'd better play by those same rules.

Now, I gotta go see a man about a horse.
I'm basing this on more than this single thread. I could be wrong. But this opinion was formed by what was shared in the past. Specifically, I recall an article about Bannon changing his Florida registration address from one false location to the current even as he already lived in New York.

I could be remembering incorrectly.

How can they tell whether you voted only once? I assume that in the days when the law was drafted, it was probably impossible since the person cannot be present at two places. Today, it is unless there is a checking mechanism.:(

Is it legal to be registered at a friend's house where he doesn't live? That's what Bannon did.

Its legal to be registered at the place you call home. Its not legal to vote twice. It not legal to vote in the name of another person. ITs not legal to vote in more than one place. This stuff isn't that hard to understand. What IS hard is cleaning up the rolls that have so many people on them you are registered illegally - not entitled to register anywhere, dead, have moved away and are on the rolls in another place, are voting without being registered and without being on the rolls in some jurisdictions where identity proof either isn't required by law or is required but isn't enforced by election officials. Then there's absentee voting, early voting, vote centers and more.

Its legal to be registered at the place you call home. Its not legal to vote twice. It not legal to vote in the name of another person. ITs not legal to vote in more than one place. This stuff isn't that hard to understand. What IS hard is cleaning up the rolls that have so many people on them you are registered illegally - not entitled to register anywhere, dead, have moved away and are on the rolls in another place, are voting without being registered and without being on the rolls in some jurisdictions where identity proof either isn't required by law or is required but isn't enforced by election officials. Then there's absentee voting, early voting, vote centers and more.

Here's what needs to happen:
- Establish a Federal ID number for each voter in every state. You could use a SSN but that screws up too much if someone steals it.
- When someone moves and registers somewhere else (or passes away), once their voter registration is updated, the old registration gets deleted by an electronic system.
- Process for appealing if there's identity theft (the person would get notified once their registration is changed)
- You should be automatically registered to vote if you have a valid driver's license and have citizenship, unless you choose to opt out.
- Campaign for every citizen to get a free photo ID if they don't have one already. Once they get the ID it's linked with their voter registration. If they're not registered they're automatically registered unless they opt out.
- Process to help those who may not have the supporting documents anymore (i.e. elderly) to establish a voter ID.
- Voting/updating the registration should be convenient for everyone.
- All states/local districts should have processes in place to check the vote count and allow recounts of paper ballots or receipts.

There's really no reason why once you have a properly secured photo ID card that it couldn't be used as the basis to get a passport. That's an extra bureaucratic step that isn't needed.

Heck, considering it's 2017, your ID could be your driver's license, SS card, voter ID, passport card, the basis to get a passport book, gun license, hunting license, etc.

But it's unlikely we'll see any real reform of that scale, just Trump going after blue state voters.

Cleaning up the registration rolls wouldn't be hard if the whole registration process wasn't so antiquated. Move the system online already!

Edit - looks like this issue is going away as 39 states now allow online registration. Note to self: Google before posting!

Last edited:
Seems to me in this day and age a person could have dual residences and consequently have an interest in voting in local elections for candidates in more than one jurisdiction. Presumably this person is paying taxes in these two jurisdictions.

The problem comes in federal elections whereby a person can vote for two Senators, two House members, and vote twice for a presidential candidate.

A final note is to observe that absentee ballot fraud is way more likely than a voter showing up a more than one election polling place on election day.

Edit - looks like this issue is going away as 39 states now allow online registration. Note to self: Google before posting![/QUOTE]

I just renewed my license online and was provided the opportunity to register to vote.

I had a sister in law that was registered in 2 states. Ind and Texas. She is now deceased. She only voted in Texas. She was also a demo. In Ind you must sign a poll book when you vote. It looks like it would not be hard if all states had that system and one could tell if a person voted twice. How about discussing why the recount was stopped in Mich. It seems that some districts in that state had more voters than registered voters.

I had a sister in law that was registered in 2 states. Ind and Texas. She is now deceased. She only voted in Texas. She was also a demo. In Ind you must sign a poll book when you vote. It looks like it would not be hard if all states had that system and one could tell if a person voted twice. How about discussing why the recount was stopped in Mich. It seems that some districts in that state had more voters than registered voters.
It turned out in the recount that the poll workers counted the voters incorrectly. I see dozens of conservative sites gleefully reported the first findings that it had happened, but for some reason I don't see any of them posting the update or a retraction once the cause was discovered. And, if it matters, it appears some Wisconsin counties over reported Trump's vote. Unfortunately math errors happen.

Why doesn't Trump understand that if it's so easy? He just Tweeted 2 days ago that people registered twice were "fraudulent" voters.

Why doesn't Trump understand that if it's so easy? He just Tweeted 2 days ago that people registered twice were "fraudulent" voters.

That's not overwhelm @Ladoga. He can't possibly figure out why Trump is full of shit and that he just proved it to the board.

Reactions: DrHoops
Seems to me in this day and age a person could have dual residences and consequently have an interest in voting in local elections for candidates in more than one jurisdiction. Presumably this person is paying taxes in these two jurisdictions.

The problem comes in federal elections whereby a person can vote for two Senators, two House members, and vote twice for a presidential candidate.

A final note is to observe that absentee ballot fraud is way more likely than a voter showing up a more than one election polling place on election day.
Legally, you can't do that. Your bona fide residence is defined in such a way as to preclude having more than one. It has nothing to do with federal vs. local. You simply can't have multiple legal residencies.

Legally, you can't do that. Your bona fide residence is defined in such a way as to preclude having more than one. It has nothing to do with federal vs. local. You simply can't have multiple legal residencies.

Goat, think you are talking about "legal" as being in regard to the filing of income taxes along with some other taxes. Thus you can have only one domicile but more than one residence.

Goat, think you are talking about "legal" as being in regard to the filing of income taxes. Thus you can have only one domicile but more than one residence.
No, I'm talking about elections, but I was using overly broad language to avoid a trap - all fifty states have their own laws. But they basically boil down to the same principle as domicile: you can register to vote at the address to which you intend to return permanently, i.e., the one place you consider your true "home" over all others. It's defined differently in each state, but the basic gist of it is the same: you can only have one. So if you are registered in two states, one of them is inherently invalid.

That doesn't mean it's fraudulent. Most of us who have moved as adults have ended up being registered in two states at the same time. It's only really fraud if one of those registrations was made without any intent that the address was to be considered your actual domicile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT