ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Trump so violently opposed to mail in voting?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Is it because he feels it's such a temptation for GOP voters to abuse the system? Take the case of former State of CO GOP Chairman Steve Curtis...

"Curtis was the state’s GOP chairman from 1997 to 1999, and caused a stir ahead of the 2016 election when he said on KLZ 560: “It seems to be, and correct me if I’m wrong here, but virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats."

Now fast forward to 2017...
"Steve Curtis, the former chairman for the Colorado Republican Party, was found guilty Thursday by a Weld County jury of voter fraud and forgery.

Curtis, 58, was arrested in March and accused of signing his wife’s mail-in ballot for her, which is a misdemeanor in Colorado. He was also charged with forgery of a public record, a fifth-degree felony.

His ex-wife had moved to South Carolina and learned her ballot had already been cast when she called the county clerk to see how she could vote from there.

“He knew exactly what he was doing,” argued Deputy District Attorney Tate Costin during closing arguments. “He received it in the mail, opened it, voted, signed it, sealed it back up and sent it in. If he were going to sign a name during this confused diabetic state, wouldn’t he sign his own name? Why her name? She hadn’t even lived in the house for 11 months.”

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...ve-curtis-found-guilty-of-voter-fraud-forgery

Or on the Dem side, how about WVA postman Thomas Cooper who pled guilty this week to altering voter registrations on requests for absentee ballots? Oh wait, that was on the GOP side as well, since Cooper admitted to switching the ballot requests of people he didn't know from Dem TO GOP, as a "joke"...

"In April, per a statement from the Department of Justice, the county clerk found absentee ballot requests from eight voters that were tampered with a black ink pen, five of which had their party affiliation switched to Republican. Three others that had their affiliation already set to Republican were altered but did not have their political party changed. All ballots were located in Pendleton County."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-virginia-mail-carrier-guilty-104244819.html

Now, this can't be right, because our Dear Leader assured us that it's the dastardly Democrats who are eager to perpetrate massive fraud on the electoral process...

I think the spokesman for the Colo Dem Party (Eric Walker) summed this issue up quite succinctly...

"Voter fraud is a virtually non-existent problem that Republicans use as an excuse to justify voter suppression tactics. In fact, voter fraud is so rare that the only person to be charged and convicted of committing voter fraud in Colorado in the 2016 election is...the former Chair of the Colorado Republican Party."

Mic drop...

And don't get me started on the aborted 2018 House race in NC, which actually forced a complete redo. Surely that was Dems? Ooops, nevermind...:)

Reactions: DrHoops
Why would anyone be pro-mail in voting?

It seems to be the preferred choice of the elites but I guess not for riff raff like you and I.

It should be an option for all or for none.

Since we're in the middle of a health outbreak, it should be an option for all if it's been okay for guys like Trump to not want to get his fat ass to a voting booth just because.

All or none.

Is it because he feels it's such a temptation for GOP voters to abuse the system? Take the case of former State of CO GOP Chairman Steve Curtis...

"Curtis was the state’s GOP chairman from 1997 to 1999, and caused a stir ahead of the 2016 election when he said on KLZ 560: “It seems to be, and correct me if I’m wrong here, but virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats."

"Steve Curtis, the former chairman for the Colorado Republican Party, was found guilty Thursday by a Weld County jury of voter fraud and forgery.

Curtis, 58, was arrested in March and accused of signing his wife’s mail-in ballot for her, which is a misdemeanor in Colorado. He was also charged with forgery of a public record, a fifth-degree felony.

His ex-wife had moved to South Carolina and learned her ballot had already been cast when she called the county clerk to see how she could vote from there.

“He knew exactly what he was doing,” argued Deputy District Attorney Tate Costin during closing arguments. “He received it in the mail, opened it, voted, signed it, sealed it back up and sent it in. If he were going to sign a name during this confused diabetic state, wouldn’t he sign his own name? Why her name? She hadn’t even lived in the house for 11 months.”

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...ve-curtis-found-guilty-of-voter-fraud-forgery

Or on the Dem side, how about WVA postman Thomas Cooper who pled guilty this week to altering voter registrations on requests for absentee ballots? Oh wait, that was on the GOP side as well, since Cooper admitted to switching the ballot requests of people he didn't know from Dem TO GOP, as a "joke"...

"In April, per a statement from the Department of Justice, the county clerk found absentee ballot requests from eight voters that were tampered with a black ink pen, five of which had their party affiliation switched to Republican. Three others that had their affiliation already set to Republican were altered but did not have their political party changed. All ballots were located in Pendleton County."

Now, this can't be right, because our Dear Leader assured us that it's the dastardly Democrats who are eager to perpetrate massive fraud on the electoral process...

I think the spokesman for the Colo Dem Party (Eric Walker) summed this issue up quite succinctly...

"Voter fraud is a virtually non-existent problem that Republicans use as an excuse to justify voter suppression tactics. In fact, voter fraud is so rare that the only person to be charged and convicted of committing voter fraud in Colorado in the 2016 election is...the former Chair of the Colorado Republican Party."

Mic drop...

And don't get me started on the aborted 2018 House race in NC, which actually forced a complete redo. Surely that was Dems? Ooops, nevermind...:)

Stating the obvious here, everyone knows there are more Dems than Pubs and that gap is getting wider.

Instead of the Pubs growing the base, they try to make it more difficult to vote.

If everyone could vote by mail then there would be a higher turnout = bad for Pubs.

Better yet, in this particular election, if they can force the common folk to go to the polls as the only option then less will go since we're in a pandemic. + for Pubs.

Better yet, if they can like in states like Georgia manipulate voting booths so the ratios are one booth per ten voters in some areas but one booth per 200 voters in other areas (ah hem highly concentrated black areas) so waiting lines are hours long in those areas...that will lower turnout. + for pubs.

So I think it should be all or none. Either make voting by mail available to everyone or eliminate it all together so even Trump will have to get his fat, orange ass to the polls and wait in line with the rest of us common folk.

I'm guessing he won't go for that either.

Reactions: Fro
Stating the obvious here, everyone knows there are more Dems than Pubs and that gap is getting wider.

Instead of the Pubs growing the base, they try to make it more difficult to vote.

If everyone could vote by mail then there would be a higher turnout = bad for Pubs.

Better yet, in this particular election, if they can force the common folk to go to the polls as the only option then less will go since we're in a pandemic. + for Pubs.

Better yet, if they can like in states like Georgia manipulate voting booths so the ratios are one booth per ten voters in some areas but one booth per 200 voters in other areas (ah hem highly concentrated black areas) so waiting lines are hours long in those areas...that will lower turnout. + for pubs.

So I think it should be all or none. Either make voting by mail available to everyone or eliminate it all together so even Trump will have to get his fat, orange ass to the polls and wait in line with the rest of us common folk.

I'm guessing he won't go for that either.
He's also setting up the basis of calling the next election a hoax. We all know he's going to do it.

Sooooo no response to the actual question?

Figures

Well, when you ask a stupid question...

Even though I know it's a waste of time, I'll answer. I live in Arizona where a significant percentage of people vote by mail. It's an extremely easy process and very protected in terms of voter fraud. Just the other day I received a text from the State notifying me that my primary ballot should arrive by mail in the next week. I'll use that ballot to vote for my prefered candidates, enclose it in the envelope, sign the outside of the envelope, and mail it back. I will receive another text when the ballot has been received and a final text when the signature has been authenticated and my vote has been counted. Easy peasy. I can also choose to take the ballot to a polling place and turn it in. Or I can also choose to go the traditional route and vote at a polling location.

So why wouldn't every state offer this easy access to election participation?

We already have mail in voting for those not wishing to make the extra effort. Some people enjoy going to their local polling booth as a means to fulfill a tradition and to chat with their neighbors who they otherwise might not see. Why are you so opposed to polling booths? Do they intimidate you or is it a laziness thing you’d rather not admit to? Have you asked Trump? Others can’t be expected to answer for him as if mind readers.

We already have mail in voting for those not wishing to make the extra effort. Some people enjoy going to their local polling booth as a means to fulfill a tradition and to chat with their neighbors who they otherwise might not see. Why are you so opposed to polling booths? Do they intimidate you or is it a laziness thing you’d rather not admit to? Have you asked Trump? Others can’t be expected to answer for him as if mind readers.

Umm no one is advocating to close voting booths down.

They might for safety in the middle of a health crisis.

No one is saying to close booths down, they're asking that everyone have the option to vote by mail.

So many elites do, why can't I?

No one is saying to close booths down, they're asking that everyone have the option to vote by mail.

More importantly, there are folks who will not be well-served voting by mail. People who are indigent without a stable home address are a reasonably large population, and absolutely shouldn't be excluded from voting. Those of us who can vote by mail makes it a lot safer for those folks to vote in person (and safer for the people facilitating that) by reducing crowds and leaving that option for those who need it. But yeah, nobody is saying close down in-person voting, that's a stupid argument that's only going on in the heads of trolls.

Well, when you ask a stupid question...

Even though I know it's a waste of time, I'll answer. I live in Arizona where a significant percentage of people vote by mail. It's an extremely easy process and very protected in terms of voter fraud. Just the other day I received a text from the State notifying me that my primary ballot should arrive by mail in the next week. I'll use that ballot to vote for my prefered candidates, enclose it in the envelope, sign the outside of the envelope, and mail it back. I will receive another text when the ballot has been received and a final text when the signature has been authenticated and my vote has been counted. Easy peasy. I can also choose to take the ballot to a polling place and turn it in. Or I can also choose to go the traditional route and vote at a polling location.

So why wouldn't every state offer this easy access to election participation?

good answer

Why would anyone be pro-mail in voting?
No one likes to stand in line for anything anymore, especially in cold weather states in November..

This year, no one wants to catch COVID-19 by standing in line.

This year, no one wants to stand in line for an extra long time in those places that have greatly reduced the total number of polling places and put the surviving polls in inconvenient locations.

Some people do not blindly believe Trump's unproven blathering about fraud and mail in voting.

Reactions: TommyCracker
No one likes to stand in line for anything anymore, especially in cold weather states in November..

This year, no one wants to catch COVID-19 by standing in line.

This year, no one wants to stand in line for an extra long time in those places that have greatly reduced the total number of polling places and put the surviving polls in inconvenient locations.

Some people do not blindly believe Trump's unproven blathering about fraud and mail in voting.

it’s both things

way easier to vote

way easier to be subject to fraudulent activity

it’s both things

way easier to vote

way easier to be subject to fraudulent activity
Just to be clear...are you against mail in voting? And would you bet the over or under that Trump tries to use the topic to remain in office.

Last edited:

Mic drop...

Were the 4 recently charged men from NJ R's or D's?

Just to be clear...are you against mail in voting? And would you bet the over or under that Trump tries to use the topic to remained in office.

Not really against or for it. A lot of people here seem to be for it, so I’ll try to argue against it I guess

If he loses trump will absolutely bring it up, will he use it to try and “stay” in office past inauguration date? Doubt it

Not really against or for it. A lot of people here seem to be for it, so I’ll try to argue against it I guess

If he loses trump will absolutely bring it up, will he use it to try and “stay” in office past inauguration date? Doubt it
I’m for it and I’d bet the over. And I do my best not to care too much what people think of me as long as I know I’m on the side of good as much as I can be. How’s that for corny?

Can't just about anyone vote absentee if they want? I did and I'm just a tad above a nobody.

Can't just about anyone vote absentee if they want? I did and I'm just a tad above a nobody.

I never have personally so I'm not sure on how to qualify for absentee voting.

I'm assuming you have to prove something like your physically not able to or that you have multiple addresses but consider a certain state as your home state or deployed in the military.

I do think it's downright titanically aristocratic and hypocritical to demand that common folk have to druge out and wait in line, outside in November, in the middle of a health crisis (while forcing volunteers to actually work the polls) while Trump and his team have and want to continue to vote by mail.

So I hope people challenge back and say it either works or it doesn't. Everyone can vote by mail or no one.

If you can't get to the polls because you're invalid in a wheelchair or you've been deployed...tough titty. Get your ass there and wait in line or don't vote. It's too easy to cheat!!!

I like it! If we make it harder for older voters that will suppress a decent faction of republican voters. Interesting.

Were the 4 recently charged men from NJ R's or D's?

The city council in NJ was a battle among Dems, and it was not any type of partisan issue. Since Trump is obviously crying about the possibility of losing to Biden and basing it on "Dem voter fraud", maybe you should at least stick to examples that involve some sort of partisan/party angle in a race with national ramifications. Not an inconsequential city council race in NJ that was more about a local rivalry than any kind of partisan considerations...

538 did an analysis and there is no evidence mail in voting helps Democrats. It is just the party of, "great grandpappy did it this way so we have to" continuing that tradition.

Says the retired guy who thinks hourly workers can stand in line all day to vote. Yeah, it’s definitely a social event. Lol

Who is we? Indiana requires a valid reason to mail in vote, I do not want to stand in line is not a valid reason. Because there was a lawsuit, I also know Texas has a similar reason.

Lying on an application for a vote by mail ballot would be a crime.

Last edited:
I never have personally so I'm not sure on how to qualify for absentee voting.

I'm assuming you have to prove something like your physically not able to or that you have multiple addresses but consider a certain state as your home state or deployed in the military.

I do think it's downright titanically aristocratic and hypocritical to demand that common folk have to druge out and wait in line, outside in November, in the middle of a health crisis (while forcing volunteers to actually work the polls) while Trump and his team have and want to continue to vote by mail.

So I hope people challenge back and say it either works or it doesn't. Everyone can vote by mail or no one.

If you can't get to the polls because you're invalid in a wheelchair or you've been deployed...tough titty. Get your ass there and wait in line or don't vote. It's too easy to cheat!!!

I like it! If we make it harder for older voters that will suppress a decent faction of republican voters. Interesting.
I've voted absentee in every election since 1986. Military personnel vote in their home state no matter where they're deployed or temporarily living. I've continued voting absentee after retirement since Ohio allows it for everyone.

Says the retired guy who thinks hourly workers can stand in line all day to vote. Yeah, it’s definitely a social event. Lol
Exactly.
I mean, I think exactly. I don’t know anything about who you’re responding to, but taking off work to vote....ugh.

Mic drop...

Trump is making a Hail Mary bet that his supporters will be more passionate then those that support Joe Biden. He is making a bet that that Biden voters will be less likely to vote in person because they will be more concerned about the pandemic. Conversely he thinks that his core is more reckless and will go to the polls with little regard for their own health. Is calculus is all wrong though. Most voters were apathetic at best about Hillary Clinton. This time around the Democrats passionately hate Trump as do the majority of independents. Either way the Trump haters are going to turn out to vote.

Last edited:
Who is we? Indiana requires a valid reason to mail in vote, I do not want to stand in line is not a valid reason. Because there was a lawsuit, I also know Texas has a similar reason.

This is how insidious Trump's attack on mail-in voting is. He's attacked both CA and MI claiming it is illegal, but both states already have provisions that allow for no-excuse vote by mail. He may be so stupid that he doesn't honestly know that, but MI in particular had a statewide referendum that was approved in the past couple of years. So as usual Trump is trying to revise history and claim that something that has already been codified is somehow "illegal"... The man is utter slime...

A valid enough reason to vote absentee is simply “work related”. Have you ever known anyone to be fined for voting absentee when in reality they really could have stood in line? I haven’t either. You don’t have to worry about a guy sitting in a car down the block with binoculars, watching your movement on Election Day. Trust me on this one.

When I did work, it was my Election Day ritual to be there at 6 AM so I could be sure to have enough time to do the one hour drive to Indy, eat breakfast, and be in the saddle at by 8 AM. In retirement, I’ve either gone to the polls in the middle of the afternoon or taken advantage of “early voting” that is always offered to those who can physically get to the polls, but just not on Election Day. In small towns, Election Day is a social event because you have a good chance of knowing who volunteers to work the polls. Sometimes you even get a donut if you get there early enough. I don’t know how you city dwellers do it, “living” amongst the walking diseased, the traffic, the noise...God love you, someone’s got to do it. Once you’ve stepped away from the cesspool of the big city, you hate to go back, even if it’s just for a visit.

Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT