ADVERTISEMENT

Conventional wisdom from David Gergen

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
David Gergen is confusing me. He seems to be pining for a Biden candidacy because in this way Democrats could "create a new spirit of bipartisanship with Republicans". On the other hand, he also seems to be stabbing Uncle Joe in the back by counseling that Biden would obviously be too old to run for a second term, so he must declare from the outset that he'd be a one-termer.

First, let me ridicule the notion that Joe Biden could "create a new spirit of bipartisanship with Republicans". Who are these elected Republicans whom Gergen imagines will be won over by Biden's folksy aphorisms and regular guy charm? I understand that some of Biden's appeal arises from his supposed ability to persuade gullible voters he could accomplish that feat, but this is just Green Lanternism -- the silly idea that presidents can overcome entrenched impediments through mere force of personality or will. It shouldn't be the sort of thing I'd expect to hear from a senior political analyst like Gergen, except that it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to hear from a senior political analyst like Gergen.

Second, it'd be crazy for Democrats to nominate anyone who had to promise not to seek a second term. Why would Democrats conceivably do that? Not coincidentally, Gergen also thinks that Biden should pledge to stock his administration full of Republicans. For VSPs like Gergen, bipartisanship is an end in itself, like a self-licking ice cream cone (at least when Democrats are in charge).

Third, the age thing is real. Here's what Gergen says about it:

And committing to one term would also diminish the importance of his age issue. With a single term, he would step down at 81. People might accept that. But trying to go on till 85? That seems beyond the pale.
"Beyond the pale." Wowzers. I think Biden would actually be 82 at the end of his first term, but either way, he'd be our oldest President. Five years older than Reagan. And while I'm on the subject, Bernie is a year older than Biden.

Speaking as someone who'd like a Democrat to win the White House in 2020 -- and in 2024 -- I'd rather that Democrats not nominate someone as old as Biden (or Bernie). Democrats have a lot of options. Why pick one whose age would raise questions throughout? And in particular, why would Democrats do that in the vain hope that the old guy would magically transform the GOP?

David Gergen is confusing me. He seems to be pining for a Biden candidacy because in this way Democrats could "create a new spirit of bipartisanship with Republicans". On the other hand, he also seems to be stabbing Uncle Joe in the back by counseling that Biden would obviously be too old to run for a second term, so he must declare from the outset that he'd be a one-termer.

First, let me ridicule the notion that Joe Biden could "create a new spirit of bipartisanship with Republicans". Who are these elected Republicans whom Gergen imagines will be won over by Biden's folksy aphorisms and regular guy charm? I understand that some of Biden's appeal arises from his supposed ability to persuade gullible voters he could accomplish that feat, but this is just Green Lanternism -- the silly idea that presidents can overcome entrenched impediments through mere force of personality or will. It shouldn't be the sort of thing I'd expect to hear from a senior political analyst like Gergen, except that it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to hear from a senior political analyst like Gergen.

Second, it'd be crazy for Democrats to nominate anyone who had to promise not to seek a second term. Why would Democrats conceivably do that? Not coincidentally, Gergen also thinks that Biden should pledge to stock his administration full of Republicans. For VSPs like Gergen, bipartisanship is an end in itself, like a self-licking ice cream cone (at least when Democrats are in charge).

Third, the age thing is real. Here's what Gergen says about it:

And committing to one term would also diminish the importance of his age issue. With a single term, he would step down at 81. People might accept that. But trying to go on till 85? That seems beyond the pale.
"Beyond the pale." Wowzers. I think Biden would actually be 82 at the end of his first term, but either way, he'd be our oldest President. Five years older than Reagan. And while I'm on the subject, Bernie is a year older than Biden.

Speaking as someone who'd like a Democrat to win the White House in 2020 -- and in 2024 -- I'd rather that Democrats not nominate someone as old as Biden (or Bernie). Democrats have a lot of options. Why pick one whose age would raise questions throughout? And in particular, why would Democrats do that in the vain hope that the old guy would magically transform the GOP?
I actually think Gergen is on to something. He's right about this, except he's partly wrong. Biden should totally serve two terms with his deeply bi-partisan Vice-President Hickenlooper who, in turn, will take over the Presidency eight years later when he's 77 with his deeply bi-partisan Vice-President Howard Schultz who, in turn will take over the Presidency eight years later when he's 83. It's just what the Democrats want. And when I say "Democrats", I mean nobody other than senior political analysts and Republicans who won't vote for any of the above despite their disingenuous flirtations.

I have always liked Gergen, but this is silly. There is no chance Biden, or anyone, can bring about a revitalization of bipartisanship. It took the Civil War to do it once before, and WW2 pulled us back together somewhat less so. I do not know what tragedy could force unification on us, but that is going to be what we need.

Just a comment about age.

Having hung around oldsters from 55 to 95+ for the last 20 years, my observations about aging include some factual experiences.

First of all, we all age differently to the point where cronological age is somewhat meaningless. A 90 year old can be mentally and physically healthier than a 60 year old. Unfortunately at any advanced age deterioration can be sudden and fast. A Reagan or Biden can suddenly go downhill quickly.

Because of the above, I just cannot get excited over Bernie or Joe.

9-11 did it for about a month.

I have always liked Gergen, but this is silly. There is no chance Biden, or anyone, can bring about a revitalization of bipartisanship. It took the Civil War to do it once before, and WW2 pulled us back together somewhat less so. I do not know what tragedy could force unification on us, but that is going to be what we need.

Reactions: sglowrider
9-11 did it for about a month.

The system is broken; it will take a generation or two to get folks back to what it used to be before the 90s. Or the two major parties are broken up into 'pragmatic' multiple but major fractions. Look at the UK Parliament -- it will undergo some major re-alignment, less binary in the near future due to the Brexit fiasco.

I actually think Gergen is on to something. He's right about this, except he's partly wrong. Biden should totally serve two terms with his deeply bi-partisan Vice-President Hickenlooper who, in turn, will take over the Presidency eight years later when he's 77 with his deeply bi-partisan Vice-President Howard Schultz who, in turn will take over the Presidency eight years later when he's 83. It's just what the Democrats want. And when I say "Democrats", I mean nobody other than senior political analysts and Republicans who won't vote for any of the above despite their disingenuous flirtations.

Well I would vote for that..... but as pointed out by Rock, I'm solidly in the political quadrant where basically no voters exist.

It's dark and lonely in here.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT