ADVERTISEMENT

A summary that defines Trump....

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
"This vision of nationhood should be familiar to Americans. It is what Donald Trump has been peddling for years. It sheds light on his long, weird infatuation with Putin. Like Putin, he has a vision of national greatness that identifies the nation with himself, despises international cooperation in general and NATO in particular, is prepared to trash any institution that stands in its way, declares millions of his fellow citizens to be the nation's enemies and insouciantly sacrifices his trusting followers' lives for the sake of that vision."

The whole article is linked below but the above is the reason I do NOT like Trump.

"This vision of nationhood should be familiar to Americans. It is what Donald Trump has been peddling for years. It sheds light on his long, weird infatuation with Putin. Like Putin, he has a vision of national greatness that identifies the nation with himself, despises international cooperation in general and NATO in particular, is prepared to trash any institution that stands in its way, declares millions of his fellow citizens to be the nation's enemies and insouciantly sacrifices his trusting followers' lives for the sake of that vision."

The whole article is linked below but the above is the reason I do NOT like Trump.

Quibble: I don’t think Trump or Putin has an insouciant molecule in their existence.
——

I think people are a little bit too quick to label everything as cancel culture similar to how Trump was so liberal in his duplicitous use of fake news.

I don’t think orchestras who are changing their programs are doing it because of Russian people. I think they are more doing it in sympathy for Ukrainians who are suffering one of the most horrific invasions in history.

Think of it this way. If you’re a Ukrainian soldier and you’ve got an iPod and headphones and you’re listening to music as you face the Russian enemy on the front lines, are you listening to Tchaikovsky?

Context matters.

Wow. That is a thoroughly disgusting piece you linked. I don’t know if the authors accurately described Putin or not, but I dont think either they or you accurately describe Trump.

I don’t post in favor of Trump, but instead in condemnation of that link. All we need is to know and understand Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and his Second Inaugural to see how out of touch the authors are.

Nations, strictly speaking, do not exist outside of people's minds. In Perry Anderson's famous formulation, they are "imagined communities."
Really? Nations serve important purposes which advance the public good. Nations aren't any different than cities, school districts or other common means we use to make lives better. That is about as far away from an “imagined community” as you can get. The real imagined communities are mostly fictions created by those who want them to serve feelings. The “homeless community” is a perfect example.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Found the piece to reinforce my fears about fierce patriotism and allegiance to country as being potentially dangerous. This is especially true when a Hitler, Stalin, or Putin becomes a dictator bent on promoting national aims while committing crimes against humanity.

Where the link loses me is when it drags our former president Trump into the discussion as being another Putin. By doing this, the essay becomes an anti Trump piece in the minds of Trump supporters. Thus the real message about the dangers of nationalism gets lost on millions of Americans who consider only the positive aspects of patriotism/nationalism.

Psychobabble

Found the piece to reinforce my fears about fierce patriotism and allegiance to country as being potentially dangerous. This is especially true when a Hitler, Stalin, or Putin becomes a dictator bent on promoting national aims while committing crimes against humanity.

Where the link loses me is when it drags our former president Trump into the discussion as being another Putin. By doing this, the essay becomes an anti Trump piece in the minds of Trump supporters. Thus the real message about the dangers of nationalism gets lost on millions of Americans who consider only the positive aspects of patriotism/nationalism.
I don’t think talking about Hitler, Stalin, or Putin is a constructive way to ever talk about nationalism. Although they tend to wrap themselves in nationalistic vocabulary they were certainly not nationalists in the important ways. Nationalism has a permanence that dictators can never have. Murdering millions of people is not nationalism. Nationalism has many good aspects that ought to be encouraged the most important of which is a unifying force toward the common good.

I don’t think talking about Hitler, Stalin, or Putin is a constructive way to ever talk about nationalism. Although they tend to wrap themselves in nationalistic vocabulary they were certainly not nationalists in the important ways. Nationalism has a permanence that dictators can never have. Murdering millions of people is not nationalism. Nationalism has many good aspects that ought to be encouraged the most important of which is a unifying force toward the common good.
Nationalism was perfectly fine when the enlightened crowd wanted us all to toe the line during Covid.

Hell, it was a sign of PATRIOTISM to wear a mask and get the vaccine!!!

Wow. That is a thoroughly disgusting piece you linked. I don’t know if the authors accurately described Putin or not, but I dont think either they or you accurately describe Trump.

I don’t post in favor of Trump, but instead in condemnation of that link. All we need is to know and understand Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and his Second Inaugural to see how out of touch the authors are.

Nations, strictly speaking, do not exist outside of people's minds. In Perry Anderson's famous formulation, they are "imagined communities."
Really? Nations serve important purposes which advance the public good. Nations aren't any different than cities, school districts or other common means we use to make lives better. That is about as far away from an “imagined community” as you can get. The real imagined communities are mostly fictions created by those who want them to serve feelings. The “homeless community” is a perfect example.
"Like Putin, he has a vision of national greatness that identifies the nation with himself"
I think Trump is so self centered that this describes him.

"is prepared to trash any institution that stands in its way, declares millions of his fellow citizens to be the nation's enemies and insouciantly sacrifices his trusting followers' lives for the sake of that vision"
He's proven over and over that he'll throw anyone under the bus if they disagree with him.

He's proven over and over that he'll throw anyone under the bus if they disagree with him.
Trump’s extreme pettiness about people is his worst fault. But I don’t think Trump ever used the United States the way Hitler used Germany or Putin uses Russia. . One commonality though is Trump thought other countries took undue advantage of the US as Hitler and Putin thought others crapped on their countries. Trump is correct about that.

Reactions: DANC
Trump’s extreme pettiness about people is his worst fault. But I don’t think Trump ever used the United States the way Hitler used Germany or Putin uses Russia. . One commonality though is Trump thought other countries took undue advantage of the US as Hitler and Putin thought others crapped on their countries. Trump is correct about that.

Trump and Hitler both sought to discredit any news media that was against them as being fake.

Trump and Hitler both attacked a specific group of people for society's problems (Jews for Hitler, Mexicans/Muslims for Trump)

Trump and Hitler both used scare tactics to get their followers to fall in line.

Hitler abolished the Judiciary, Trump stacked the courts to attempt to get it full of "yes men"

Hitler and Trump both demanded personal loyalty over loyalty to country and constitution

Hitler had concentration camps, Trump had detention centers

Not saying Trump committed as heinous of crimes as Hitler did but he was using a similar playbook.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
CoH, just want to add somethings to your sound advice.

In a democracy such as ours there can be differences as to what constitutes the common good.

For example, should we wear masks when faced with a certain type of pandemic ?

During the Covid pandemic, thanks to our democracy and federalism, the country took various approaches to dealing with the threat. Some Americans simply followed their own instincts. In contrast authoritarian countries such as China forced its people to follow strict guidelines for the common good.

The one thing we should avoid as we seek solutions in finding the common good is to call those who don't agree with our solutions in finding the common good as being unpatriotic or Un-American.

CoH, just want to add somethings to your sound advice.

In a democracy such as ours there can be differences as to what constitutes the common good.

For example, should we wear masks when faced with a certain type of pandemic ?

During the Covid pandemic, thanks to our democracy and federalism, the country took various approaches to dealing with the threat. Some Americans simply followed their own instincts. In contrast authoritarian countries such as China forced its people to follow strict guidelines for the common good.

The one thing we should avoid as we seek solutions in finding the common good is to call those who don't agree with our solutions in finding the common good as being unpatriotic or Un-American.
LMAO! You got a 'like' from Hickory.

He either forgot what ID he was using or he doesn't believe his own bullshit.

As president, Trump’s worst flaw was he doesn’t know jack shit about history (e.g., treaty of Versailles), macroeconomics (disestablishing our goodwill with our trade partners around the world), diplomacy and negotiation (canceling the TTP), and so on.

It seems that you, like Trump, have no clue how United States has taken advantage of its dominant position since World War II and how having an occupational military in Japan and Germany for example have contributed to our own economy.

Sad. Tragically sad.

Reactions: bub-rub
I forgot this site is not about who is in the basketball transfer portal but about who is transferring this country into the portal of slavery to communist dictators. Who is making us no longer independent from but dependent on foreign oil, food, prescription drugs, etc? Who is allowing us to be flooded with illegal immigrants both law abiding and criminal without knowing the difference? Are we dependent on TJD to lead us into 2022-23 or is there someone else in the portal?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory

don't over think it.

Trump is just a moral-less salesman, telling his mark what they want to hear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT