ADVERTISEMENT

Who was behind the siege on the Capital?

I don't know why it's so difficult for you to admit that the standards weren't applied equally when the truth is slapping you in the face. In fact there were no standards other than, we don't like right leaning content.

And all tech startups start off with big investors or VC funding that how business works...... It doesn't mean they're not the David to the Twitter/ FB/ AWS goliath.

To me, the problem with whatever point you're trying to make vis a vis Twitter and Parler is the FACT that people who WANTED to post violent, racist comments left Twitter and flocked to Parler. That has been going on for quite a while and had very little if anything to do with events of Jan 6, since Parler was hosting discussions about the upcoming unrest and Twitter was blocking them...

You seem to be making a circular argument, that I'm just not getting. I can't even comprehend your claim that "standards weren't applied equally" when the conduct allowed by the respective platforms was radically different.

That's why people LEFT Twitter to join Parler- they (incorrectly IMHO) assumed the issue was "freedom of speech". If Twitter and Parler BOTH were allowing posts to "lynch the Dems" or even Trump's other perceived "enemies" then I'd say Amazon was required to treat each equally. But those posts were ONLY being allowed on Parler. It's hard for me to fathom anyone defending Parler's complicity, but you seem to determined to do so...

Reactions: Bill4411
To me, the problem with whatever point you're trying to make vis a vis Twitter and Parler is the FACT that people who WANTED to post violent, racist comments left Twitter and flocked to Parler. That has been going on for quite a while and had very little if anything to do with events of Jan 6, since Parler was hosting discussions about the upcoming unrest and Twitter was blocking them...

You seem to be making a circular argument, that I'm just not getting. I can't even comprehend your claim that "standards weren't applied equally" when the conduct allowed by the respective platforms was radically different.

That's why people LEFT Twitter to join Parler- they (incorrectly IMHO) assumed the issue was "freedom of speech". If Twitter and Parler BOTH were allowing posts to "lynch the Dems" or even Trump's other perceived "enemies" then I'd say Amazon was required to treat each equally. But those posts were ONLY being allowed on Parler. It's hard for me to fathom anyone defending Parler's complicity, but you seem to determined to do so...

People left Twitter for Parler to find a more receptive community for conservative speech. Twitter moderation and Dorsey obviously have a political bias and that had started to creep into the user experience.

You’re bastardizing the reasons behind Parlers growth because you’re a hopeless partisan. A minuscule fraction of the community used it as a breeding ground to discuss and plan political violence. Parler did the best they could to shut that speech down.

Well, I'm not saying this woman was intent on conducting an assassination plot. But I'd say this is a pretty in-depth display of knowledge that likely didn't result from a single public guided tour she took for an hour with other tourists... (No doubt you'll disagree)...

More suspicious activity that investigators are uncovering...

Donations of bitcoin valued at $500,000 to far-right groups from a foreign sympathizer in early Dec. It wasn't for the Daily Stormer's "election efforts", coming a month after the election...

People left Twitter for Parler to find a more receptive community for conservative speech. Twitter moderation and Dorsey obviously have a political bias and that had started to creep into the user experience.

You’re bastardizing the reasons behind Parlers growth because you’re a hopeless partisan. A minuscule fraction of the community used it as a breeding ground to discuss and plan political violence. Parler did the best they could to shut that speech down.

You're acting like blocking people talking about committing violent acts online is somehow political. Anyone planning violence would have been blocked. They just happen to be coming from rightwing nuts.

If parler was trying to shut that speech down, then they apparently assigned that task to 1 person who couldn't keep up lol

Calling me a "hopeless partisan" coming from you is irony to the extreme. I don't have to bastardize the reasons far-right lunatics migrated from Twitter to Parler- they explained their motives in their own Twitter feeds...

Have you really not seen the thousands of posts from loonies telling their Twitter followers to come join them on Parler? It's been ongoing for 6 mos or longer...

What exactly do you think Parler is? I'd say it's a more "mainstream camouflaged" version of the types of posts and interaction you see more secretively on Gab,Discord, and other platforms favored by Neo Nazis...

"The fact that Parler has a vague air of legitimacy – unlike other platforms known for their explicitly far-right user bases – normalizes racist violence against Black people and anyone associated with them. Like the white police officers and “respectable” public servants who joined the Ku Klux Klan after the US civil war, or the white families who partied under the lynched bodies of Black men, white America has continued its intergenerational love affair with public anti-blackness. The methods have simply mutated. Memes calling for our deaths are the lynching postcards of the 21st century. Shared among the masses, they make casual affairs of Black terror. It’s not enough for the sharers of these memes to simply believe in white violence on a personal level; the collective experience is the point.

I joined Parler in November, before various tech companies announced plans to take it offline. It didn’t take long to find a bevy of hashtags and posts romanticizing civil war. By late November, there were over 10,000 posts that included the hashtag #civilwar and its variants. The person who posted “Civil war is coming” was replying to a post by Wayne Root, a conservative media personality with more than 100,000 followers on Twitter. Root leveled the same unproven accusations of voter fraud as Donald Trump, using the same calls for battle that white power groups heeded in their storming of the US Capitol the first week of 2021.

While some on the far right will probably retreat into the shadows cast by polling booths and hidden by exit polling data that obscures Trump’s popularity, many have not. Any perception of progress for Black people, even if this progress does not substantively exist, perpetuates violence against us and our perceived allies like leftists, Marxists and Democrats – all named by Parler posters as opposing parties in this hypothetical civil war)."

"The attack on the U.S. Capitol building on Jan. 6 was shocking, but no one following right-wing activity on social media should have been surprised. The attempt by President Donald Trump’s far-right supporters to violently stop Congress from certifying the Electoral College vote and formalizing Joe Biden’s election victory was consistent with their openly expressed hopes and plans.

As a researcher of far-right extremism, I monitor right-wing social media communities. For weeks in advance, I watched as groups across the right-wing spectrum declared their intentions. On Facebook, Twitter, Parler and other platforms, influencers, politicians, activists and ordinary people focused on Jan. 6 as their final opportunity to prevent what they claimed was corruption on a monumental scale.

To most of these activists, there was no possible resolution other than Trump emerging victorious. In the open, they discussed how they were preparing to force Congress and Vice President Mike Pence to nullify the election results and declare Trump the victor."

Hell we have mas on this very forum. The loonies are everywhere...

You're acting like blocking people talking about committing violent acts online is somehow political. Anyone planning violence would have been blocked. They just happen to be coming from rightwing nuts.

If parler was trying to shut that speech down, then they apparently assigned to 1 person lol

Content moderation is obviously an inexact science. Posts go up, sometimes they're up for a while before an algorithm or person identifies them and takes them down. This is true of both Parler and Twitter.

If you want to argue that Twitter had more robust content moderation systems in place, I think that's probably likely, and frankly understandable. A startup simply can't scale those systems quickly enough especially one going through rapid growth like Parler. Again, Amazon declined Parlers inquiry into Amazon's own content moderation software "Rekognition".

You and Cos's contention that the purpose of Parler is to offer a safe haven to violent speech is just bad faith posturing in the worst way. It doesn't even compute with you that people might actually want to go to another platform to have discussions outside of Twitter, for reasons other than being allowed to be racist and violent.

Calling me a "hopeless partisan" coming from you is irony to the extreme. I don't have to bastardize the reasons far-right lunatics migrated from Twitter to Parler- they explained their motives in their own Twitter feeds...

Have you really not seen the thousands of posts from loonies telling their Twitter followers to come join them on Parler? It's been ongoing for 6 mos or longer...

What exactly do you think Parler is? I'd say it's a more "mainstream camouflaged" version of the types of posts and interaction you see more secretively on Gab,Discord, and other platforms favored by Neo Nazis...

"The fact that Parler has a vague air of legitimacy – unlike other platforms known for their explicitly far-right user bases – normalizes racist violence against Black people and anyone associated with them. Like the white police officers and “respectable” public servants who joined the Ku Klux Klan after the US civil war, or the white families who partied under the lynched bodies of Black men, white America has continued its intergenerational love affair with public anti-blackness. The methods have simply mutated. Memes calling for our deaths are the lynching postcards of the 21st century. Shared among the masses, they make casual affairs of Black terror. It’s not enough for the sharers of these memes to simply believe in white violence on a personal level; the collective experience is the point.

I joined Parler in November, before various tech companies announced plans to take it offline. It didn’t take long to find a bevy of hashtags and posts romanticizing civil war. By late November, there were over 10,000 posts that included the hashtag #civilwar and its variants. The person who posted “Civil war is coming” was replying to a post by Wayne Root, a conservative media personality with more than 100,000 followers on Twitter. Root leveled the same unproven accusations of voter fraud as Donald Trump, using the same calls for battle that white power groups heeded in their storming of the US Capitol the first week of 2021.

While some on the far right will probably retreat into the shadows cast by polling booths and hidden by exit polling data that obscures Trump’s popularity, many have not. Any perception of progress for Black people, even if this progress does not substantively exist, perpetuates violence against us and our perceived allies like leftists, Marxists and Democrats – all named by Parler posters as opposing parties in this hypothetical civil war)."

"The attack on the U.S. Capitol building on Jan. 6 was shocking, but no one following right-wing activity on social media should have been surprised. The attempt by President Donald Trump’s far-right supporters to violently stop Congress from certifying the Electoral College vote and formalizing Joe Biden’s election victory was consistent with their openly expressed hopes and plans.

As a researcher of far-right extremism, I monitor right-wing social media communities. For weeks in advance, I watched as groups across the right-wing spectrum declared their intentions. On Facebook, Twitter, Parler and other platforms, influencers, politicians, activists and ordinary people focused on Jan. 6 as their final opportunity to prevent what they claimed was corruption on a monumental scale.

To most of these activists, there was no possible resolution other than Trump emerging victorious. In the open, they discussed how they were preparing to force Congress and Vice President Mike Pence to nullify the election results and declare Trump the victor."

Hell, we have mas on this very forum. The loonies are everywhere...

Of course, Jordan Klepper was at the riot. He really has a keen sense of what motivates the Trump cult...

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Content moderation is obviously an inexact science. Posts go up, sometimes they're up for a while before an algorithm or person identifies them and takes them down. This is true of both Parler and Twitter.

If you want to argue that Twitter had more robust content moderation systems in place, I think that's probably likely, and frankly understandable. A startup simply can't scale those systems quickly enough especially one going through rapid growth like Parler. Again, Amazon declined Parlers inquiry into Amazon's own content moderation software "Rekognition".

You and Cos's contention that the purpose of Parler is to offer a safe haven to violent speech is just bad faith posturing in the worst way. It doesn't even compute with you that people might actually want to go to another platform to have discussions outside of Twitter, for reasons other than being allowed to be racist and violent.

Dan Bongino is a Parler investor. Care to bet on what a cursory view of some of his posts might reveal?...

Dan Bongino is a Parler investor. Care to bet on what a cursory view of some of his posts might reveal?...

I have no idea. I'm not all that familiar with Dan Bongino. I know he has spread a lot of falsehoods about the election. People are allowed to say and believe things that are false.

If parler comes back, then do a test on 2 different accounts.

On 1 account, post something violent against a democrat.

On a different account, post something defending a democrat or something a democrat would say.

See which one gets removed first.

This is pretty wild.

Rep Mikie Sherrill is alleging that some lawmakers held 'reconnaissance' tours the day before the attacks on the White House.

My guess is that between guest log books, security cameras or some other mechanism to track who comes in and out of the Capitol, this would be relatively easy to track. It's nothing, you'll likely not hear anything else about it. If it's something, well then that's pretty insane.

If true, the congress people responsible should be tried for treason. I've seen a lot of smoke but waiting on a congress person to be named.

If parler comes back, then do a test on 2 different accounts.

On 1 account, post something violent against a democrat.

On a different account, post something defending a democrat or something a democrat would say.

See which one gets removed first.

I think it's hard to create two accounts on Parler. It's SMS authenticated so you need more than a fake email unlike Twitter where bots run the day. I do have two phones but am hesitant to use my work cell for entertainment and social media Apps.

I'd gladly partake in your experiment though because I think your view of the platform is warped.

If true, the congress people responsible should be tried for treason. I've seen a lot of smoke but waiting on a congress person to be named.
Here's a name that keeps popping up when I look for this stuff:

This is pretty wild.

Rep Mikie Sherrill is alleging that some lawmakers held 'reconnaissance' tours the day before the attacks on the White House.

My guess is that between guest log books, security cameras or some other mechanism to track who comes in and out of the Capitol, this would be relatively easy to track. It's nothing, you'll likely not hear anything else about it. If it's something, well then that's pretty insane.
IF true, it also changes the calculus of a rep's involvement being purely political to true believer status. The former you can expect and understand to a degree (though not condone). The latter, whoa boy.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Here's a name that keeps popping up when I look for this stuff:

That is some weak tea from what I can see in that article. There were a lot of GOP House members and some Senators that knowingly misled their followers into believing that the 6th was anything more than a formality. They had convinced people that the election could actually be overturned if there was enough objections, and they did it to win political favor.

Irresponsible and stupid for sure, but not worthy of being called treasonous or
being expelled from congress or anything like that.

That is some weak tea from what I can see in that article. There were a lot of GOP House members and some Senators that knowingly misled their followers into believing that the 6th was anything more than a formality. They had convinced people that the election could actually be overturned if there was enough objections, and they did it to win political favor.

Deserving of investigation? I think so . . . plus we don't have any details from Mikie Sherrill's observations forwarded to the FBI. So I'm OK withholding judgment . . . but I'm ready to sharpen my knives, just in case . . . and if they're not needed, they'll be sharp for the next steak dinner.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

because we shouldn't expect a certain level of decorum or anything from our senators or congressmen or congresswomen.

It would be both stupid and irresponsible to publicly name names, while an investigation is ongoing. The names were reported to the police, By DOZENS of different congressmen and their staff, people who saw the recon tours going on and have signed their names to that effect. The recon tours stuck out like a sore thumb since under COVID protocols, almost all Capitol tours had been halted.

Reactions: largemouth
It would be both stupid and irresponsible to publicly name names, while an investigation is ongoing. The names were reported to the police, By DOZENS of different congressmen and their staff, people who saw the recon tours going on and have signed their names to that effect. The recon tours stuck out like a sore thumb since under COVID protocols, almost all Capitol tours had been halted.
I think I saw a headline a couple days ago saying that Tim Ryan was involved in spearheading an investigation. BICBW. If I'm right, I think he'll address it in a straightforward manner. He strikes me as a down to earth, sensible guy. Not to mention he's @TheOriginalHappyGoat 's man crush.

I think I saw a headline a couple days ago saying that Tim Ryan was involved in spearheading an investigation. BICBW. If I'm right, I think he'll address it in a straightforward manner. He strikes me as a down to earth, sensible guy. Not to mention he's @TheOriginalHappyGoat 's man crush.
YCBW, or YCBR:

Shouldn't we uncover the facts first?

I thought the (only) public briefly was intimating that something big could be brewing. Who was responsible? Where did the money come from? Who was communicating? I suspect we will find out a lot of really concerning things as the investigation proceeds.

But if this is true, we are looking at something that will go down as one of the darkest moments in American history:

Totally debunked.

ArcticSecondGelding-max-14mb.gif

Guess all those Antifa terrorists are getting rounded up by the FBI now

hopefully they get their stories straight about being antifa or trump won't pardon them.

probably should check their recent purchase history...www.needantifagearfast.com

Last edited:
they need to watch batman some more to realize people that look like jokers can still be dangerous.

220px-HeathJoker.png
I was thinking Loki instead of Joker but you're right.

Jake Angeli's lawyer (Albert Watson) may prove to be even more "entertaining" as a lawyer than Guiliani. It's interesting that an Arizona defendant hires a lawyer from St. Louis. Here is part of his defense:

Watkins said Chansley — also known as Jake Angeli and the QAnon shaman — hung “on every word” of the president and felt “very, very, very solidly in sync” with him. It was “like his voice was for the first time being heard,” the lawyer added.​
Chansley, 33, of Phoenix, “loved” Trump and “felt like he was answering the call of our president,” Watkins said. He was in Washington “at the invitation of our president, who was going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue with him,” he added. Trump told his supporters at the pre-riot rally that he would accompany them to the Capitol, but went back to the White House to watch the insurrection on TV instead.​

Although he wants Trump to pardon Chansley, the underlined part of his statement above seems like good testimony for the Senate to use in Trump's impeachment trial.

The self-promotion claims by Watson are exaggerated to say the least:

Better stock up on popcorn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT