ADVERTISEMENT

Who was behind the siege on the Capital?

Cortez88

All-Big Ten
Jan 7, 2017
I thought the (only) public briefly was intimating that something big could be brewing. Who was responsible? Where did the money come from? Who was communicating? I suspect we will find out a lot of really concerning things as the investigation proceeds.

But if this is true, we are looking at something that will go down as one of the darkest moments in American history:

Last edited:
You shock the world, it shocks you back.

If McConnell’s on board, Trump is history. As always McConnell is rationally seeking his optimal political expediency. He floated a trial balloon yesterday. Wants to read the impeachment text. We’ll see what he decides.

You shock the world, it shocks you back.

If McConnell’s on board, Trump is history. As always McConnell is rationally seeking his optimal political expediency. He floated a trial balloon yesterday. Wants to read the impeachment text. We’ll see what he decides.

McConnell, is a despicable human...but a political athlete.

Trump cost him his job and he (hopefully) will gut the snake. It is the only hope the Pubs have of rebuilding any time soon.

McConnell, is a despicable human...but a political athlete.

Trump cost him his job and he (hopefully) will gut the snake. It is the only hope the Pubs have of rebuilding any time soon.
What struck me yesterday was reading how furious McConnell is that Trump fostered this attack on the Capitol. When I first read the headlines that he was furious I thought for sure it was because he had lost his Senate majority and maybe that is the real reason, but if it’s Just because of the outrage of defiling America, that’s a plus for McConnell in my eyes.

What struck me yesterday was reading how furious McConnell is that Trump fostered this attack on the Capitol. When I first read the headlines that he was furious I thought for sure it was because he had lost his Senate majority and maybe that is the real reason, but if it’s Just because of the outrage of defiling America, that’s a plus for McConnell in my eyes.
McConnell was a huge part of the defiling, and he started before Trump even won the election.

This is all political combat for him.

McConnell was a huge part of the defiling, and he started before Trump even won the election.

Completely agree but at this moment, I’ll take his help. The goal is the same even if the motivations are different.

Think he’s wishing he would have done this last year?

Completely agree but at this moment, I’ll take his help. The goal is the same even if the motivations are different.

He didn't have the support or backbone last year. Now he's got a handful of like minded people and Trump has been defeated at the polls. He has no principles. He is as transactional as Trump.

Yup

But in rare cases you need your enemy to destroy your enemy and he may be able to pull it off before he slithers into the sunset. he won't be a hero to many...just a useful idiot.

He didn't have the support or backbone last year. Now he's got a handful of like minded people and Trump has been defeated at the polls. He has no principles. He is as transactional as Trump.

No argument here. These enablers seeing the light as the ship goes down are not moral heroes. They aren’t doing anything exceptional. They are doing their jobs after 4 years of dereliction of duty.

There's a plethora of examples showing the adage "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" backfiring. If the Republicans want to eat their own, Democrats shouldn't get in the way. But McConnell is owed nothing from the Democrats once this is resolved.

Reactions: Cortez88

I wouldn't be so sure it is the run on the Capitol McConnell is angered about. He's likely just as, if not more angry about Trump costing him the GA Senate seats.

Trump ultimately called for the rally, promoted it for 2-3 weeks and incited people to go march to the Capitol and "fight" (along with Don Jr & Rudy).

I think there were likely a good number of people who just got caught up in the mob. May have been some smaller more organized groups but that needs to be investigated.

I wouldn't be shocked if one of the "Q believer" Congress people gave a tour intentionally for recon purposes, but that needs to be looked into.

Reactions: largemouth
I wouldn't be so sure it is the run on the Capitol McConnell is angered about. He's likely just as, if not more angry about Trump costing him the GA Senate seats.
In the grand scheme of things, Trump has been about 90% of the reason that Republicans have lost control of two branches of the government in a little over two years. I'd be pissed too.

McConnel has finally crossed the line where Trump is no longer a net-gain. He knows that he has precious little time to flip the narrative because 2022 is not that far away, and every single Republican defending their seat is going to be facing a Democrat who will be running ads showing the Capitol Riot and blaming their opponent for it.

Trump ultimately called for the rally, promoted it for 2-3 weeks and incited people to go march to the Capitol and "fight" (along with Don Jr & Rudy).

I think there were likely a good number of people who just got caught up in the mob. May have been some smaller more organized groups but that needs to be investigated.

I wouldn't be shocked if one of the "Q believer" Congress people gave a tour intentionally for recon purposes, but that needs to be looked into.
Who gave a tour for "recon purposes"?

Who gave a tour for "recon purposes"?

Rep. Mikie Sherrill, during a live webcast Tuesday evening, said she witnessed some members of Congress leading people through the Capitol on Jan. 5 in what she termed a "reconnaissance for the next day," when insurrectionists took part in a deadly siege on the legislative branch.

During the Facebook Live, Sherrill, D-Montclair, addressed her constituents to explain why she voted for a resolution to ask Vice President Mike Pence to remove President Donald Trump from office by invoking the 25th Amendment. That measure passed late Tuesday, 223-205, but Pence had notified House Speaker Nancy Pelosi earlier in the day that he would not comply with the request.

That makes it likely that the House will, for the second time, impeach Trump on Wednesday. Sherrill said she intends to support an article of impeachment against Trump for "incitement of insurrection."

Reactions: Spartans9312

Rep. Mikie Sherrill, during a live webcast Tuesday evening, said she witnessed some members of Congress leading people through the Capitol on Jan. 5 in what she termed a "reconnaissance for the next day," when insurrectionists took part in a deadly siege on the legislative branch.

During the Facebook Live, Sherrill, D-Montclair, addressed her constituents to explain why she voted for a resolution to ask Vice President Mike Pence to remove President Donald Trump from office by invoking the 25th Amendment. That measure passed late Tuesday, 223-205, but Pence had notified House Speaker Nancy Pelosi earlier in the day that he would not comply with the request.

That makes it likely that the House will, for the second time, impeach Trump on Wednesday. Sherrill said she intends to support an article of impeachment against Trump for "incitement of insurrection."
This is dangerous and irresponsible rumor spreading and if it ends up not being true I hope Democrats tell her to STFU and primary her out of there. That isn’t leadership.

Maybe. Or McConnell could see that as good cover for what he wants to do to Trump to try to save the GOP . . . .

I suspect the Georgia senate die was cast a bit before Trump's "intervention" into the senate races . . . Marjorie Taylor-Greene's election to the house from GA-14 may have had to do more with the senate results more than Trump's recent actions.

Last edited:
This is dangerous and irresponsible rumor spreading and if it ends up not being true I hope Democrats tell her to STFU and primary her out of there. That isn’t leadership.
Agree Ranger....if the Dems continue to spread this as "fact" before the FBI and others have had a chance to investigate, they are then lumped into the Qanon and Infowars of conspiracy spreaders.

Agree Ranger....if the Dems continue to spread this as "fact" before the FBI and others have had a chance to investigate, they are then lumped into the Qanon and Infowars of conspiracy spreaders.
The fact that she's a former Navy pilot gives me a little pause about denying her credibility . . .

. . . and it's interesting that she chose to make the announcement live via Facebook rather than quietly to the authorities.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
The fact that she's a former Navy pilot gives me a little pause about denying her credibility . . .

. . . and it's interesting that she chose to make the announcement live via Facebook rather than quietly to the authorities.
She may be wanting her constituents to know so they might have a reason to stop sending her threats and vicious criticism.

Rather than or in addition to?

She says she witnessed a tour so that’s no rumor. Her conclusion that it was a reconnaissance may be speculative but only with respect to the tour guide’s motives.

Rather than or in addition to?

She says she witnessed a tour so that’s no rumor. Her conclusion that it was a reconnaissance may be speculative but only with respect to the tour guide’s motives.
We can't know the answer to that question, so it's a possibility that must be considered. The fact that she publicized it may indicate her apprehension about (1) the will of the authorities to do anything, or (2) the ability of the authorities to do anything about it. We'll just have to watch to see what happens.

We can't know the answer to that question, so it's a possibility that must be considered. The fact that she publicized it may indicate her apprehension about (1) the will of the authorities to do anything, or (2) the ability of the authorities to do anything about it. We'll just have to watch to see what happens.
There’s no doubt the FBI would be interested in such prior-day occurrences.

Eyewitness reporting is not relevant? She put her name out there as a witness. I hope that there is follow-up and that she names names, with regard to who was providing the planning tour. As it was, she was responding to a question on her rationale for her vote. There ought to be follow-up, for sure.

Given her military background, she is aware of the meaning of her description as "reconnaissance" and, while it could be bluster, it could also be very revealing.

... if this is true ...

Let me know when there are facts.

Because I find it to be irresponsible for an elected representative to be speculating in this fashion.

Why can't The Self-Appointed Smart And Important People ever just STFU until they really KNOW a thing? Do they really think we can't live without their gum-flapping?

There are only 3 real answers to every question:
Yes.
No.
I don't know.

"I think" and "I believe" just don't matter.

Let me know when there are facts.

Because I find it to be irresponsible for an elected representative to be speculating in this fashion.

Why can't The Self-Appointed Smart And Important People ever just STFU until they really KNOW a thing? Do they really think we can't live without their gum-flapping?

There are only 3 real answers to every question:
Yes.
No.
I don't know.

"I think" and "I believe" just don't matter.
Spoken like a corporate defense lawyer who is used to leading a witness where they want the witness to go.

BTW, do you know for sure that what she's alleged is based on speculation? Or are you just characterizing her announcement so you can treat it like a straw man?

I haven't seen any names in any of the news reports I've read.

Does it matter whether she's named someone yet?
Sure it does. If she names names publicly, she’s rumormongering. If she doesn’t then she’s just rumormongering. (dws)

McConnell cost himself Georgia with the stimulus bill and his comments around it. He has a misconception of who his voting base actually is...

Eyewitness accounts frighten you. You seem to prefer anonymous QAnon theories.

Let me walk you through this:

Seeing a Senator or a Representative lead people through the Capitol Buidling on a tour of some kind is a daily occurence. THAT is where the facts stopped.

"I hope this wasn't a reconnaisance mission."
THAT was the speculation.
THAT was irresponsible, Twitter level, water Cooler-level idiocy.
If she has no actual evidence that it WAS a reconnaisance mission, she should be impeached.

Plus, "loose lips sink ships."

Let's say it WAS reconnaisance.
Now the perps will go to the mattresses.
We'll never get to goods on them.
She may be IN ON IT.
Again - impeachable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT