ADVERTISEMENT

The War on the Human mind

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
A timely if not overdue book.

From the Amazon description . . .

Throughout the world, mental capacity is declining, especially among young people, while depression rates are rising dramatically. Meanwhile, one in forty men and women suffers from Alzheimer's, and the age of onset is falling rapidly. But the causes are not being eliminated, quite the opposite. Can this just be coincidence?​

The Indoctrinated Brain introduces a largely unknown, powerful neurobiological mechanism whose externally induced dysfunction underlies these catastrophic developments.​

Michael Nehls, medical doctor and internationally renowned molecular geneticist, lays out a shattering chain of circumstantial evidence indicating that behind these numerous negative influences lies a targeted, masterfully executed attack on our individuality. He points out how the raging wars against viruses, about climate change, or over national borders are—more likely intended than not—fundamentally providing the platform for such an offensive against the human brain that is steadily changing our being and is aimed at depriving us of our ability to think for ourselves.

But it is not too late. By exposing these brain-damaging processes and describing countermeasures that anyone can take, Nehls brings light and hope to this fateful chapter in human history. Nothing less will be decided than the question of whether our species can retain its humanity and its creative power or whether it will lose them irretrievably.​
I’ve been concerned about our headlong rush towards group-think, conformity, and lack of individuality for a while. This shows up in a number of different ways that is neither good nor sustainable. Excessive admiration or condemnation of political and other leaders, obsessing about misinformation, internet influencers, yielding to AI, mind-numbing drugs, and lack of education that teaches thinking, all lead to fundamental mind atrophy. I haven’t thought about the connection with increase in organic brain disorders, but I’m anxious to read about it.

Looks like an interesting read, I have it on pre-order.

Throughout the world, mental capacity is declining, especially among young people, while depression rates are rising dramatically. Meanwhile, one in forty men and women suffers from Alzheimer's, and the age of onset is falling rapidly. But the causes are not being eliminated, quite the opposite. Can this just be coincidence?​
The Indoctrinated Brain introduces a largely unknown, powerful neurobiological mechanism whose externally induced dysfunction underlies these catastrophic developments.​
Michael Nehls, medical doctor and internationally renowned molecular geneticist, lays out a shattering chain of circumstantial evidence indicating that behind these numerous negative influences lies a targeted, masterfully executed attack on our individuality. He points out how the raging wars against viruses, about climate change, or over national borders are—more likely intended than not—fundamentally providing the platform for such an offensive against the human brain that is steadily changing our being and is aimed at depriving us of our ability to think for ourselves.​
But it is not too late. By exposing these brain-damaging processes and describing countermeasures that anyone can take, Nehls brings light and hope to this fateful chapter in human history. Nothing less will be decided than the question of whether our species can retain its humanity and its creative power or whether it will lose them irretrievably.​
I’ve been concerned about our headlong rush towards group-think, conformity, and lack of individuality for a while. This shows up in a number of different ways that is neither good nor sustainable. Excessive admiration or condemnation of political and other leaders, obsessing about misinformation, internet influencers, yielding to AI, mind-numbing drugs, and lack of education that teaches thinking, all lead to fundamental mind atrophy. I haven’t thought about the connection with increase in organic brain disorders, but I’m anxious to read about it.

Order a bunch and mail them in unmarked brown envelopes to the far lefties!!!

I will tell you. Social media started with my ex stoker’s crew and is even more prevalent and influential with my daughter. It is shaping society, how we feel, think, garner info, etc. I have no doubt it destroyed my relationship. Now im shitty for sure, but constant FAKE feeders of others leading amazing lives, memes from pseudo psychologists who dominate the gram, and constant access to exes and a stream of guys is just one of the many ways it’s changing society.

Social media is probably the biggest issue facing society

I will tell you. Social media started with my ex stoker’s crew and is even more prevalent and influential with my daughter. It is shaping society, how we feel, think, garner info, etc. I have no doubt it destroyed my relationship. Now im shitty for sure, but constant FAKE feeders of others leading amazing lives, memes from pseudo psychologists who dominate the gram, and constant access to exes and a stream of guys is just one of the many ways it’s changing society.

Agreed. I think better education and brain development is the vaccine against social media. One reason I’m anxious to read the book.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Michael Nehls, medical doctor and internationally renowned molecular geneticist, lays out a shattering chain of circumstantial evidence indicating that behind these numerous negative influences lies a targeted, masterfully executed attack on our individuality. He points out how the raging wars against viruses, about climate change, or over national borders are—more likely intended than not—fundamentally providing the platform for such an offensive against the human brain that is steadily changing our being and is aimed at depriving us of our ability to think for ourselves.​

Sounds like the basest quackery to me.

Is that because far righties are beyond help?

Reactions: Ohio Guy

Michael Nehls, medical doctor and internationally renowned molecular geneticist, lays out a shattering chain of circumstantial evidence indicating that behind these numerous negative influences lies a targeted, masterfully executed attack on our individuality. He points out how the raging wars against viruses, about climate change, or over national borders are—more likely intended than not—fundamentally providing the platform for such an offensive against the human brain that is steadily changing our being and is aimed at depriving us of our ability to think for ourselves.

CoH, have empathy for me.

Unlike Michael Nehls, the wife gave our bikes to charity, and I wake up at night with fears about global warming.

Doomed to a case of fast creeping dementia.

CoH, have empathy for me.

Unlike Michael Nehls, the wife gave our bikes to charity, and I wake up at night with fears about global warming.

Doomed to a case of fast creeping dementia.
Ha. Global warming doesn’t worry me. But I admit to being concerned about info manipulation by big tech, big media, and big government.

”Fast.creeping” is a tell.:)

I say he sends it the righties in their tighty whities.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
The college students I work with are well-rounded, sharp, and professional given their roles. That’s been the case for the last ten years.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

There are plenty of examples and I would argue a truth (though others may find that to be too strong of a statement) to the idea of groupthink and lack of individual thought dilemmas. That is particularly true when it requires someone to stand up for something they believe in, even if it is agaist either popular opinion or loud-voiced opinion (e.g., protestors).

Social media is also highly addictive, as are screens generally. These issues are not mutually exclusive with the groupthink problem, but have their own set of challenges and factors.

However, I'd be interested to really understand if this time is truly different compared to the past. Perhaps the author is attempting to point towards America or Western Democracy specifically, but given he is German, he ought to remember how prevalant groupthink was in late 1930s Germany.

I am in the middle of Dan Carlin's first podcast on the rise of Japan. One of the points he made early on was around the intensity of culture that the Japenese had in the 1920s. They literally trained several soldiers to fight until they received formal orders from a superior officer to stop - some of which didn't occur for 20 or 30 years until WWII ended. Carlin's belief is that these periods happen infrequently from a personal vantage point, but quite often over human history where specific cultures rise to assert power with a specific element of brainwashing and belief that makes them fight so hard for a cause, nobody else can understand it.

We're not at a point like that, which is good, in some respects. That alone enables freedom of choice and mind.

Such important issues You seem to focus on and worry about. Lol
A little stupid chaos here and a little stupid chaos there and pretty soon you are talking about total destruction of a useful and productive society.

Of course it would. I’m skeptical of the suggestion of an organized attack, but the fact that we are losing our ability to think about stuff and defend against indoctrination is unmistakable. .
In that briefest of summaries we see numerous crazy inaccuracies. Let's look at one contention "the causes (of Alzheimer's Disease) are not being eliminated, quite the opposite" and "the age of onset is falling rapidly"

Bullshit. We are refining our understanding of AD all of the time. The simple hypothesis, that amyloid plaques are highly toxic and their accumulation alone leads to AD" is surely incorrect. There are other factors at play and the amyloid plaques are a result/ residual marker of earlier events. These events include tau accumulation, toxic amyloid precursors, and deficits in mitochondral function, including NAD depletion.

As to the age of AD onset, above the age of 65 a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s doubles about every five years. That was true in 1980, 2000, and now. The only nugget of semi-truth comes from genetically-linked / non-sporadic AD. As genetic risk factors for early onset familial dementia have been identified, more people are being genotyped and tested at an earlier age. If you know where to look for something, you indeed find it a bit faster.

You are spending your money on bullshit puffery.

In that briefest of summaries we see numerous crazy inaccuracies. Let's look at one contention "the causes (of Alzheimer's Disease) are not being eliminated, quite the opposite" and "the age of onset is falling rapidly"

Bullshit. We are refining our understanding of AD all of the time. The simple hypothesis, that amyloid plaques are highly toxic and their accumulation alone leads to AD" is surely incorrect. There are other factors at play and the amyloid plaques are a result/ residual marker of earlier events. These events include tau accumulation, toxic amyloid precursors, and deficits in mitochondral function, including NAD depletion.

As to the age of AD onset, above the age of 65 a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s doubles about every five years. That was true in 1980, 2000, and now. The only nugget of semi-truth comes from genetically-linked / non-sporadic AD. As genetic risk factors for early onset familial dementia have been identified, more people are being genotyped and tested at an earlier age. If you know where to look for something, you indeed find it a bit faster.

Great, the kiss of death. I was hoping you’d agree with the material, virtually guaranteeing it’s inaccuracy…

I don’t disagree with much of this. When I read that the book speaks to organic brain disorders, I scratched my head, and mentioned that.

I think the point about increasing mental weakness on a wide scale is irrefutable. We seem to have more trouble dealing with “now” which is producing more diagnosed anxiety and depression. Mind- body incongruity is increasing. Group think, compliance, and obedience are increasing in value. My personal observation about legal education is that it is less rigorous in developing mental strength. As just one example, I think it is remarkable that there are many who publicly excuse Hamas‘ savage inhumanity. I think all of this has a common cause, this book is the first attempt to explain it. I might be disappointed, we’ll see.

I don’t disagree with much of this. When I read that the book speaks to organic brain disorders, I scratched my head, and mentioned that.

I think the point about increasing mental weakness on a wide scale is irrefutable. We seem to have more trouble dealing with “now” which is producing more diagnosed anxiety and depression. Mind- body incongruity is increasing. Group think, compliance, and obedience are increasing in value. My personal observation about legal education is that it is less rigorous in developing mental strength. As just one example, I think it is remarkable that there are many who publicly excuse Hamas‘ savage inhumanity. I think all of this has a common cause, this book is the first attempt to explain it. I might be disappointed, we’ll see.
More about increasing mental weakness here.

“Some years ago, I was in Boston on business, and invited a European friend to lunch. The man was finishing a year-long fellowship at Harvard University, and was about to head back to Europe. Over a spread of delicious New England raw oysters, I asked my friend what the most important lesson he learned from his year at America’s most prestigious university.​

He thought for a moment, then said, “How fragile the American elites are.”​

The European explained how shocked he and his fellow Europeans on the program were to see so many American students unable to confront ideas that gave them anxiety—and how eager professors were to accommodate their intellectual and emotional fragility. This expressed itself as an ideological phenomenon—the students were all on the left, and coughed up the usual woke hairballs (e.g., “Transphobia is triggering”) told me that when he read in the Harvard student newspaper that more than three-quarters of the university’s student population was taking anti-depressants, he understood that their intellectual fragility was tied to their mental fragility.​

The Harvard students do not consider themselves to be weak, he said. To the contrary, “they are absolutely certain that it is their destiny to rule the world.”​

Reactions: jet812
A little stupid chaos here and a little stupid chaos there and pretty soon you are talking about total destruction of a useful and productive sosociety.
Yea. We really should deport people stuck in MAGA group think. They cause more harm than good

“Some years ago, I was in Boston on business, and invited a European friend to lunch. The man was finishing a year-long fellowship at Harvard University, and was about to head back to Europe. Over a spread of delicious New England raw oysters, I asked my friend what the most important lesson he learned from his year at America’s most prestigious university.​

The European explained how shocked he and his fellow Europeans on the program were to see so many American students unable to confront ideas that gave them anxiety—and how eager professors were to accommodate their intellectual and emotional fragility. This expressed itself as an ideological phenomenon—the students were all on the left, and coughed up the usual woke hairballs (e.g., “Transphobia is triggering”) told me that when he read in the Harvard student newspaper that more than three-quarters of the university’s student population was taking anti-depressants, he understood that their intellectual fragility was tied to their mental fragility.​

The Harvard students do not consider themselves to be weak, he said. To the contrary, “they are absolutely certain that it is their destiny to rule the world.”​
CoH, do we measure elitism by the schools we attended, our political attitudes about the LGBTQ community and diversity, , or what ?

Given we are a capitalist nation it would seem to me the elites are those who have accumulated the most wealth. The scorecard of elitism should be financial statement.

My vote for those who have earned the title of Elite goes to the top 1% of Americans in terms of wealth. These few according to this article have achieved the following...

The top 1% holds $38.7 trillion in wealth. That’s more than the combined wealth of America’s middle class, a group many economists define as the middle 60% of households by income. Those households hold about 26% of all wealth.

I would bet a good many of the top 1% didn't go to Ivy League universities, could care less about the political cultural wars raging in the country, and share the same mental problems as the rest of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: outside shooter

Very interesting indeed

Reactions: DANC
Wait, so I have relayed stories about how many people I meet all the time in foreign countgries are totally dumbfounded about how Americans could possibly vote for "that awful man" Donald Trump, and it gets roundly dismissed, then then one anecdote from some anonymous European talking about elite fragility is somehow "very interesting indeed".

Very interesting indeed

Wait, so I have relayed stories about how many people I meet all the time in foreign countgries are totally dumbfounded about how Americans could possibly vote for "that awful man" Donald Trump, and it gets roundly dismissed, then then one anecdote from some anonymous European talking about elite fragility is somehow "very interesting indeed".

Very interesting indeed
The messenger matters. This one is from the professor coh

• Haha
Reactions: CO. Hoosier

I don't know why Brad is laughing at this - I can understand why Hickory did, because he's practically brain-dead.

But your point about others leading amazing lives is right on. Many see their lives as dull and boring when compared to others and it breeds jealousy - the kind we see in leftists when it comes to the rich.

Between social media and video games, kids aren't bored anymore. Boredom is where a lot of dreams are hatched. And with AI, it's going to get worse, I'm afraid.

I don't know why Brad is laughing at this - I can understand why Hickory did, because he's practically brain-dead.

But your point about others leading amazing lives is right on. Many see their lives as dull and boring when compared to others and it breeds jealousy - the kind we see in leftists when it comes to the rich.

Between social media and video games, kids aren't bored anymore. Boredom is where a lot of dreams are hatched. And with AI, it's going to get worse, I'm afraid.
bc i included some good jokes in there. but yes social media is really, really bad stuff imo. the bad far outweighs the good

CoH, do we measure elitism by the schools we attended, our political attitudes about the LGBTQ community and diversity, , or what ?

Given we are a capitalist nation it would seem to me the elites are those who have accumulated the most wealth. The scorecard of elitism should be financial statement.

My vote for those who have earned the title of Elite goes to the top 1% of Americans in terms of wealth. These few according to this article have achieved the following...

The top 1% holds $38.7 trillion in wealth. That’s more than the combined wealth of America’s middle class, a group many economists define as the middle 60% of households by income. Those households hold about 26% of all wealth.

I would bet a good many of the top 1% didn't go to Ivy League universities, could care less about the political cultural wars raging in the country, and share the same mental problems as the rest of us.
Being an elite depends upon . . . .ahem . . .context.

Ohtani is an elite (and now most wealthy) baseball player, but he isn‘t the kind of elite I’m talking about. Musk is wealthy, but I don’t put him the elete status, especially when he told big advertisers they can go fvck themselves.

Being an elite is a mix of wealth, status, smugness, authority, with very healthy doses of vanity and arrogance. Plus there are a lot of intangibles. I consider people like Granholm and Buttegeig elitists but not Biden even though they all are very similar in behaviors.

I guess it’s one of those things that I know when I see it.

Very interesting indeed
The former is very easily explained. The latter isn’t. That’s why it’s interesting.

A little stupid chaos here and a little stupid chaos there and pretty soon you are talking about total destruction of a useful and productive society.
I don’t think trannies are going to be what ends civilization…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT