ADVERTISEMENT

So tired of this crap that we can't fire a coach for underachieving in 3 yrs ...

No, reading comprehension, please, I'm not saying that I could compete at a D1 level, but just that I can still pure shoot it better than most of our current roster with a cigarette in mouth. And when you are, as they are, athletically gifted enough to play at that level and can sorta shoot (Green and Rob, maybe Franklin too), just shoot it from further, don't let D close out on you. If any of them tried that, we might see shooting improve. It's a lot easier to shoot it a few feet back when your unguarded and it's unexpected. You know, someone named Steph Curry makes a pretty good living at that.

Are you saying that Shaq could have eaten Olijuwan's (sp?) lunch, he sure didn't in the Finals, and I'd bet Wilt or Kareem would have kicked his ass too. Bigger, stronger, doesn't always translate to better. Players today are not as skilled or fundamentally sound.

Look at Luka Doncic, is he quick, have great handle, very athletic, play above the rim … no on all. But he's dominating at 20 years old because he can shoot, pass, and understands pace, spacing and is very unpredictable to guard. In contract, his former teammate Dennis Smith is an athletic freak of like Russell Westbrook caliber, can do all the things Doncic can't, but is not having a successful career anywhere he's been

Luka may not be explosive but he doesn't lack in athleticism. Not saying he is quick but Luka is faster and quicker than most give him credit for. His strength is really NBA level plus at age 20. Vision is off the charts. Handle is outstanding so not sure what makes you think he struggles handling the ball. Check out this pass and how well set up the receiver is to shoot when he catches the ball.

No, reading comprehension, please, I'm not saying that I could compete at a D1 level, but just that I can still pure shoot it better than most of our current roster with a cigarette in mouth. And when you are, as they are, athletically gifted enough to play at that level and can sorta shoot (Green and Rob, maybe Franklin too), just shoot it from further, don't let D close out on you. If any of them tried that, we might see shooting improve. It's a lot easier to shoot it a few feet back when your unguarded and it's unexpected. You know, someone named Steph Curry makes a pretty good living at that.

Are you saying that Shaq could have eaten Olijuwan's (sp?) lunch, he sure didn't in the Finals, and I'd bet Wilt or Kareem would have kicked his ass too. Bigger, stronger, doesn't always translate to better. Players today are not as skilled or fundamentally sound.

Look at Luka Doncic, is he quick, have great handle, very athletic, play above the rim … no on all. But he's dominating at 20 years old because he can shoot, pass, and understands pace, spacing and is very unpredictable to guard. In contract, his former teammate Dennis Smith is an athletic freak of like Russell Westbrook caliber, can do all the things Doncic can't, but is not having a successful career anywhere he's been

One of the more ignorant things I've heard on here.

Game setting (crowd/noise), you aren't making 10% of your 3 pointers and I don't care if anyone is within 15 feet of you.

In a practice/open gym setting, I'll take any player on this years team on any amount of shot attempts from anywhere on the court and they're making more than you.

Go back to your couch.

One of the more ignorant things I've heard on here.

Game setting (crowd/noise), you aren't making 10% of your 3 pointers and I don't care if anyone is within 15 feet of you.

In a practice/open gym setting, I'll take any player on this years team on any amount of shot attempts from anywhere on the court and they're making more than you.

Go back to your couch.

I doubt that, I still have range going out to about 35 consistently, now am I being hawked by division 1 D, hell no, but left unguarded, horse I guess, I'd take that bet

Luka may not be explosive but he doesn't lack in athleticism. Not saying he is quick but Luka is faster and quicker than most give him credit for. His strength is really NBA level plus at age 20. Vision is off the charts. Handle is outstanding so not sure what makes you think he struggles handling the ball. Check out this pass and how well set up the receiver is to shoot when he catches the ball.

Maybe more than he's given credit for, but he's still maybe slightly more than Bird athletically and he gets it done in todays game

I never really got these generational comparisons. Are we going to pick these guys in a time machine and bring them to the future. Are we to take Lebron back to the 60s to play vs Russell in that same time machine.

IMO, super stars could play in any generation. I can only imagine how good Bill russell could be if he grew with the knowledge of the game that today's player grew up with. That includes strength and conditioning as well as diet.

It would be funny if they'd take me as a walk on, I think I have all of my eligibility intact, maybe I need a third worthless degree and more student loans

You should write to Miller. Sounds like a disney movie in the making.

No, it should be that way and guess what the college 3 has always been a joke, that's why they've finally fixed it or trying to, because it's still a joke to a lot of 50 yr old smokers like me. It's remarkable to me that we don't have someone on this team that can hit one. I'm not that big or quick, or creating my own shot against good D, I'd just shoot it from well beyond the line unguarded and not worry about it. I still can, but it seems no one we have can employ the same strategy, because they can't shoot.

Also, ball handling, D, and passing skills are markedly diminished from 20 years ago everywhere. You see anybody in today's game going to take it away from an Allen Iverson, Steve Francis, or Jalen Rose or Jamal Crawford?

And to your other point about AAU, I'd bet my paycheck that if Bill Russell, Kareem, or Wilt were playing there, they'd all average 100
I'd be at every game if you were bombing from "well beyond the line" with a cigarette in your mouth.

Last edited:
35 feet? You have consistent range out to 35 feet? F*ck off.

he probably does. there are guys at any rec center and ymca in any town in america (and probably more in indiana) that can shoot absolutely lights out. we've all seen and known them. problem is they're 5'10 and can't move for sh*t.

he probably does. there are guys at any rec center and ymca in any town in america (and probably more in indiana) that can shoot absolutely lights out. we've all seen and known them. problem is they're 5'10 and can't move for sh*t.
He wouldn’t make it down the court before the shot clock expired.

Reactions: MrBing
I doubt that, I still have range going out to about 35 consistently, now am I being hawked by division 1 D, hell no, but left unguarded, horse I guess, I'd take that bet

16-Hilarious-Insane-Laugh-Gif.gif

fwiw for anyone like GOIU who obviously doesn't know ..shooting percentage from practice and drills to game situation is about a 40% difference. Alford would shoot 90%+ from three in drills and practice. He also went multiple practices without ever missing a shot. Many coaches use a 70% or 75% rule ie you have to shoot 70 or 75% in practice situations to get to shoot them in games.

fwiw for anyone like GOIU who obviously doesn't know ..shooting percentage from practice and drills to game situation is about a 40% difference. Alford would shoot 90%+ from three in drills and practice. He also went multiple practices without ever missing a shot. Many coaches use a 70% or 75% rule ie you have to shoot 70 or 75% in practice situations to get to shoot them in games.
fwiw - not much. ignores some basic differences - for one he'll have a smoke in his mouth. calms him way down. second he shoots from a distance where most defenders don't guard. as a result while it may be in a game, it's more akin to practice because he'll be unguarded, calm and cool.

When you don't write in complete sentences, people are going to struggle to understand you. But, that's why I asked if I was understanding you.

So, your solution to our shooting woes is to shoot from farther away. Makes sense. Why, just this year they moved the line back and it's done wonders for offenses. DWS.

Range out to 35 feet....lolz. Go get a phone and record yourself, with no edits, making 5 out of 10 from 35 feet. That's the only way anyone is believing that nonsense.

Thanks for making my point.

I hope this is simple enough for you - firing Miller and hiring Fife would mean paying Fife's salary PLUS $3.5 million for the next four years. Its NOT going to happen.
I thought hiring Miller from Dayton was too big of a leap for a coach. It's one reason I'm willing to be patient.

Hiring an assistant who also ran a school far smaller than Dayton without much success.. ugh, that's a reach. He needs to run a decent mid major first to see if he has the x and o's, administration and leadership ability needed.

These guys and their something in the water in Bloomington breeds coaches theory are foolish and ridiculous ..

I thought hiring Miller from Dayton was too big of a leap for a coach. It's one reason I'm willing to be patient.

Hiring an assistant who also ran a school far smaller than Dayton without much success.. ugh, that's a reach. He needs to run a decent mid major first to see if he has the x and o's, administration and leadership ability needed.

These guys and their something in the water in Bloomington breeds coaches theory are foolish and ridiculous ..

This team will be a really vet team next year. Brunk, smith, Al will be much better Seniors than Deron and DG. Archie's first group of recruits will be Juniors. The 2020 class looks OK so far but probably won't impact games much. If this team finds it's way into the tourney that is great learning experience. It's been slow and ugly but I can see the light flickering at the end of the tunnel especially if Archie backs that up with a solid 2021 class.

Thad Matta is only 52. I wonder if he is waiting it out to see what Archie does. He passed on Georgia. If he is not concerned about his back it seems a job like Texas could be open for him. Flip it 180 degrees and here is an unlikely scenario. If he has concerns about his back, I wonder if he would join the staff for next year to see how the back holds up then look for a head coach job the following year. Wouldn't the fire Archie crowd have fun with that. LOL

I get to Assembly Hall early enough to watch all of the pre game warm ups. Justin Smith drains perimeter shots one after another. That doesn't exactly translate to game situations.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I get to Assembly Hall early enough to watch all of the pre game warm ups. Justin Smith drains perimeter shots one after another. That doesn't exactly translate to game situations.

Another poster ignoring his special circumstances. game situations are immaterial. no game has seen what he's proposing to do. he will be launching from well beyond where teams guard. in that way, it will be more like a practice setting or pre-game warm up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT