ADVERTISEMENT

TWO Coaches, entire staff & HC

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
II’ve raised issues with 2 coaches since before last season:

-Hiller - so obvious, so consistently bad. How Allen didn’t pull the trigger along with Sheridan, only Tom Allen knows. Been enough posts & input on OL for 2-3 yrs now. That’s how you lose support when nothing is changing on your watch.

-Coach T - Once again the special teams got exposed for a HUGE play under his watch as STC. I’ve never thought he has had great results here, and really it’s been as consistently as poor as the OL in terms of not good for 2-3 years.

Again, our punter can punt and our kicker can kick (and our snapper is definition of excellence). I’m talking about punt return game, kick off return game, # of big returns we have had (very, very few), # of blocking in back penalties (a lot), and # of back breaker plays by special teams: 2 Killer ones in loss last year to Cinci at home, then running into punter last week @ Cinci, catching ball inside 5, blocked punt for TE last night, offsides on a kickoff, personal foul on a kick off touchback!

As much as I wanted (& still do want) Tom Allen to be successful here, he, like any coach, needs a high quality staff around him. Instead of having to pay for ones he has to fire (Sheridan), he should have been smarter and said instead of $4.7M, I will be okay at 3.5M per, but let me disburse that $1.2M more across staff and be sure he could hired GREAT, PROVEN coordinators, OL coach and all others on staff. But he needs to have a good eye for that talent and be willing to be confident enough to have future HC’s on the staff who would be better at cleaning things up! ie don’t fear having strong, experienced leaders under you!

Imagine a staff of DeBoer level confidence and track record (at different stages of their career) at: all assistants and 3 coordinators. Ask now if across the board we have that type of quality in every assistant in the staff?

I’ve pointed out two who I don’t think are of that quality.

I do like TE coach, Witt (think he has been a rising coach, but I admit he hadn’t been a successful DC prior to this job yet). WR coach has a good resume. All others haven’t really seen consistently good results at their position groups.

The other candid concern is not sure how good Tom Allen’s organization and management skills are to help build and grow his staff? His high emotional qualities in sideline and pep talks don’t help show a guy who is methodical and detailed about overall game planning, a process for talent evaluation and hiring guys “smarter than me” as best leaders try to do.

Again, my sad concern is that Allen may be better as a DC, versus a HC. Less all around things to have to worry about, he loves defense and I do believe if that was all he had to focus on only he has shown an ability to turn two different defenses around. But for some of the same keystone cops mental mistakes and same OL woes to be happening in year six? At some point we can’t just keep saying “it will change.”

At some point people are going to have to change. That is the sad reality of major college, D1 sports and coaching. They get paid a lot bc they know they don’t have great long term stability guaranteed.

Reactions: vesuvius13

-Hiller - so obvious, so consistently bad. How Allen didn’t pull the trigger along with Sheridan, only Tom Allen knows. Been enough posts & input on OL for 2-3 yrs now. That’s how you lose support when nothing is changing on your watch.

-Coach T - Once again the special teams got exposed for a HUGE play under his watch as STC. I’ve never thought he has had great results here, and really it’s been as consistently as poor as the OL in terms of not good for 2-3 years.

Again, our punter can punt and our kicker can kick (and our snapper is definition of excellence). I’m talking about punt return game, kick off return game, # of big returns we have had (very, very few), # of blocking in back penalties (a lot), and # of back breaker plays by special teams: 2 Killer ones in loss last year to Cinci at home, then running into punter last week @ Cinci, catching ball inside 5, blocked punt for TE last night, offsides on a kickoff, personal foul on a kick off touchback!

As much as I wanted (& still do want) Tom Allen to be successful here, he, like any coach, needs a high quality staff around him. Instead of having to pay for ones he has to fire (Sheridan), he should have been smarter and said instead of $4.7M, I will be okay at 3.5M per, but let me disburse that $1.2M more across staff and be sure he could hired GREAT, PROVEN coordinators, OL coach and all others on staff. But he needs to have a good eye for that talent and be willing to be confident enough to have future HC’s on the staff who would be better at cleaning things up! ie don’t fear having strong, experienced leaders under you!

Imagine a staff of DeBoer level confidence and track record (at different stages of their career) at: all assistants and 3 coordinators. Ask now if across the board we have that type of quality in every assistant in the staff?

I do like TE coach, Witt (think he has been a rising coach, but I admit he hadn’t been a successful DC prior to this job yet). WR coach has a good resume. All others haven’t really seen consistently good results at their position groups.

The other candid concern is not sure how good Tom Allen’s organization and management skills are to help build and grow his staff? His high emotional qualities in sideline and pep talks don’t help show a guy who is methodical and detailed about overall game planning, a process for talent evaluation and hiring guys “smarter than me” as best leaders try to do.

Again, my sad concern is that Allen may be better as a DC, versus a HC. Less all around things to have to worry about, he loves defense and I do believe if that was all he had to focus on only he has shown an ability to turn two different defenses around. But for some of the same keystone cops mental mistakes and same OL woes to be happening in year six? At some point we can’t just keep saying “it will change.”

At some point people are going to have to change. That is the sad reality of major college, D1 sports and coaching. They get paid a lot bc they know they don’t have great long term stability guaranteed.
This is not a LEO post. More love and less criticism is needed on this board.

I have come over to your side about Hiller for sure as I saw a unit that just did not seem to play every snap with effort. That is on the players first no excuse for a lack of effort. Next it is on the position coach to get them motivated. Finally it is on the head coach. There was a failure on all levels the other night.
As for our special teams coach, I may be biased because I coached against him when he was in high school but I don't believe he is doing a bad job. I do question putting DJ Matthews back to return punts again this year after losing him for the season last year and losing him again this year. But your point about return game being non existent it is because we do not have a dynamic guy back there . You can scheme all you want but if you don't have that return guy. Your point about catching punts inside the 10 is one I agree with you on but unfortunately that has changed nationwide and is the new rule to catch the ball. You cant blame the coach if a kid gets a personal foul one time. If happens multiple times then that is on the coach for leaving him out there.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I have come over to your side about Hiller for sure as I saw a unit that just did not seem to play every snap with effort. That is on the players first no excuse for a lack of effort. Next it is on the position coach to get them motivated. Finally it is on the head coach. There was a failure on all levels the other night.
As for our special teams coach, I may be biased because I coached against him when he was in high school but I don't believe he is doing a bad job. I do question putting DJ Matthews back to return punts again this year after losing him for the season last year and losing him again this year. But your point about return game being non existent it is because we do not have a dynamic guy back there . You can scheme all you want but if you don't have that return guy. Your point about catching punts inside the 10 is one I agree with you on but unfortunately that has changed nationwide and is the new rule to catch the ball. You cant blame the coach if a kid gets a personal foul one time. If happens multiple times then that is on the coach for leaving him out there.
I would naturally assume that Jaylin Lucas would be a terrific punt return guy. They seem to be truly underutilizing Lucas!!!

Just make Lucas the QB and run the triple option.
It is not that easy to just turn a guy into a triple option quarterback. First you have to teach him the reads then you have to train him to actually make the reads. Then he has to be tough enough to withstand the hits. Next our offensive linemen have to be able to get to their down blocks. Finally our receivers have to become better blockers. They have to be able to block the alley defenders.

It is not that easy to just turn a guy into a triple option quarterback. First you have to teach him the reads then you have to train him to actually make the reads. Then he has to be tough enough to withstand the hits. Next our offensive linemen have to be able to get to their down blocks. Finally our receivers have to become better blockers. They have to be able to block the alley defenders.
I assume the original post was somewhat in jest

It was in jest. i knew it wouldn't be as easy as my post implied.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Good post. We aren't built to run a triple option offense. It's a completely different animal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT