ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti - I would think this guy would be at the top of the list for every P5 team that needs a coach.

Vididiot

Senior
Sep 8, 2001
He's never been head coach at the P5 level, but he's been a roaring SUCCESS AT EVERY LEVEL he's coached. Reminds me a lot of Lance Liepold in that respect. I'd rather have a coach with a proven record of success at every level than some former P5 coach that's been fired somewhere else at sometime or an unproven assistant. And since he coached at Indiana University (Pennsylvania), it would be like a homecoming. jmusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/curt-cignetti/2935

He's 62 which may work out in our favor. He can come here and finish out his career. Would be similar to Dolsons basketball hire. An older coach at the end of his career.

Also key would be if he could bring his staff with him. We may not pay at the high end of P5 or B1G, but our payroll budget has to dwarf JM's. Double a proven staff's income across the board and keep it intact. Hit the ground running.

Yeah, don't know much about the guy, but he sounds solid, and his record is good. If we hired Creighton I'd be underwhelmed, can''t see him being a program builder here. CIgnetti I'd be happy about. And I know nothing about any of the candidates lol.

He's never been head coach at the P5 level, but he's been a roaring SUCCESS AT EVERY LEVEL he's coached. Reminds me a lot of Lance Liepold in that respect. I'd rather have a coach with a proven record of success at every level than some former P5 coach that's been fired somewhere else at sometime or an unproven assistant. And since he coached at Indiana University (Pennsylvania), it would be like a homecoming. jmusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/curt-cignetti/2935
i like cignetti a lot. don't f**k this up scotty

Last edited:
Coach Cignetti is a fine coach but anyone who thinks a 62-year-old is going to be candidate for the opening at IU is not being realistic. Recruiting at IU is tough enough, but he would have an impossible task coming into a new program at this stage of his life. You can be sure that if Mr. Dolson has been doing his job, he has already reviewed candidates for the last few weeks and has it down to no more than 2-3.

Coach Cignetti is a fine coach but anyone who thinks a 62-year-old is going to be candidate for the opening at IU is not being realistic. Recruiting at IU is tough enough, but he would have an impossible task coming into a new program at this stage of his life. You can be sure that if Mr. Dolson has been doing his job, he has already reviewed candidates for the last few weeks and has it down to no more than 2-3.
Why would being 62 preclude him from being a successful recruiter?

Poppycock
So you don't think if a kid is recruited by several schools he's not hearing a lot of "low energy" and "old thinking" types of warnings if one of the schools has a coach in his 60s or older? And they all just ignore that? And we're not getting Saban.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
So you don't think if a kid is recruited by several schools he's not hearing a lot of "low energy" and "old thinking" types of warnings if one of the schools has a coach in his 60s or older? And they all just ignore that? And we're not getting Saban.
Why would they care?

Ok, if I'm thinking what appeals to the kids ...

I want a smart, energetic, youngish, African American, who's already winning somewhere as the head man.

But that's worth only a few points extra out of the 50 point checklist. 47 points are can he coach, can he organize a staff and team, can he recruit in the NIL landscape.

If it's an old white guy that garners the most points, so be it.

Ok, if I'm thinking what appeals to the kids ...

I want a smart, energetic, youngish, African American, who's already winning somewhere as the head man.

But that's worth only a few points extra out of the 50 point checklist. 47 points are can he coach, can he organize a staff and team, can he recruit in the NIL landscape.

If it's an old white guy that garners the most points, so be it.
Certainly agree that it's one factor of many that should be considered.

Kids don't want to play for someone who could be their grandfather? I'm sure that's a concern some recruits have about Woodson as well.
You do understand that most times assistants are the lead recruiters, and the head coach is the closer. It does not appear that this has as much impact as you indicate.

Recruiting is recruiting. Its relative to who you're competing with. And he's obviously done a great job recruiting at JMU.

I would actually contend that recruiting at lower level FBS schools, like JMU is transitioning up to becoming, is probably more difficult than recruiting at a high major.

You're working to get FBS level players...but your budget and facilities are not competitive.

IU isn't OSU, or Michigan, or Penn State...but its sounding more and more like the new coach will have a very competitive budget...and while we all strive for better facilities, and we do need some things improved...IU's facilities are generally looked upon favorably against many of the rest of the schools in the conference...obviously not named OSU, Michigan, or PSU (and now maybe Northwestern).

Point is...its never been something that's held him up before. I don't know why we should assume it would now.

Cignetti grew up in Pittsburgh and WV. He recently enthusiastically said that he'll coach until he's 75 and made it sound believable.

For folks that say he can't recruit at 62...he's landed more 5 stars than any recent IU coach. But he said is success in recruiting is because he looks at character...he looks at how many times a guy misses school, etc.

The guy's a winner and has an edge. Look at the job he did at Elon to understand his ability to change a culture.

I'm all in on Cignetti if he's interested in the job.

62 is probably tolerable if he's a good choice in other respects. But even if he's healthy, all kinds of stuff becomes more and more likely every year at that age. Heart attack, stroke, cancer, cognitive problems, overall energy level and stamina all go the wrong direction. There's a reason airline pilots have to retire at 65. A football coach doesn't have lives in his hands but he's a huge financial investment and you have to be coldly realistic about it.

• Haha
Kids don't want to play for someone who could be their grandfather? I'm sure that's a concern some recruits have about Woodson as well.
Cignetti would run circles around most 40 year olds. The guy's intelligent, charismatic, and has a winner's edge. And being 62 gives him wisdom thru experience that younger men don't have.

Ever heard the story about the young bull and the old bull overlooking the field of cows? Young bull: "let's run down there and have our way with one of those cows". Old bull: "let's walk down and have our way with them all".

Man I hope Cignetti takes the job...he's the man.

62 is probably tolerable if he's a good choice in other respects. But even if he's healthy, all kinds of stuff becomes more and more likely every year at that age. Heart attack, stroke, cancer, cognitive problems, overall energy level and stamina all go the wrong direction. There's a reason airline pilots have to retire at 65. A football coach doesn't have lives in his hands but he's a huge financial investment and you have to be coldly realistic about it.
The reason airline pilots retire at 65 is the FAA. Many, many still fly planes.

Interesting that 3 of his assistants have previously coached at IU (ours, not the “other one” in Pennsylvania)

Recruiting is recruiting. Its relative to who you're competing with. And he's obviously done a great job recruiting at JMU.

I would actually contend that recruiting at lower level FBS schools, like JMU is transitioning up to becoming, is probably more difficult than recruiting at a high major.

You're working to get FBS level players...but your budget and facilities are not competitive.

IU isn't OSU, or Michigan, or Penn State...but its sounding more and more like the new coach will have a very competitive budget...and while we all strive for better facilities, and we do need some things improved...IU's facilities are generally looked upon favorably against many of the rest of the schools in the conference...obviously not named OSU, Michigan, or PSU (and now maybe Northwestern).

Point is...its never been something that's held him up before. I don't know why we should assume it would now.
Exactly. Kinda like selling. Makes no difference to good salesmen whether they're selling aircraft carriers or Kotex. They get re$ult$.

He's 62 which may work out in our favor. He can come here and finish out his career. Would be similar to Dolsons basketball hire. An older coach at the end of his career.

Cignetti excites me…. NONE at all.

He has clearly won big at low levels. All good. So WHY has he never jumped into P5 before - he’s been around and winning a long time. Why NOW?

He has clearly won big at low levels. All good. So WHY has he never jumped into P5 before - he’s been around and winning a long time. Why NOW?
It looks like he was an assistant for a long time before he decided to prove himself as a head coach. Being the WR coach/recruiting coordinator at Alabama was probably a nice paying and very safe job.

To be fair to Cignetti, he started in Division 2 at IUP before getting the opportunity in FCS with an Elon team that had won 7 games the previous three seasons. He ended up taking them to FCS playoffs in his two years there. Then he moved to JMU and lead them to the championship game and back to back semifinals then guided the program in the move to FBS of which he's shown he's still able to win. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to go to P5 from JMU in FCS and two seasons in a new G5 program proving himself makes sense he'd be in play for P5 jobs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT