ADVERTISEMENT

Advantages of Hiring a guy like Cignetti

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
*He's probably worked with over 100 coaches during his career and has a pool of 50 or more assistants who have coached under him. He probably has a really good idea of who he wants on his staff and who the best coaches are from experience.
*His offenses and defenses are good and he's done that with different coordinators so it's not like the magic is with one coordinator the loss of whom would sink his program. (Can you spell Kalen Deboer)
*He coached under two of the best ever in Johnny Majors and Nick Saban for a total of 11 years.
*He's won at JMU with FBS talent against group 5 talent. That's like Indiana beating Michigan three or four times in a season.
*In one year he took JMU from having the worst recruiting class in the Sunbelt to the third best.
*He's been the recruiting coordinator at every school he's been an assistant at. Clearly an elite recruiter.

He really checks all the boxes with the only down size being age. But he's probably got a least three energetic years left and maybe as many as five or six. If a coach is really good, they would likely leave after a few year anyway, so five years would be a win.

*He's probably worked with over 100 coaches during his career and has a pool of 50 or more assistants who have coached under him. He probably has a really good idea of who he wants on his staff and who the best coaches are from experience.
*His offenses and defenses are good and he's done that with different coordinators so it's not like the magic is with one coordinator the loss of whom would sink his program. (Can you spell Kalen Deboer)
*He coached under two of the best ever in Johnny Majors and Nick Saban for a total of 11 years.
*He's won at JMU with FBS talent against group 5 talent. That's like Indiana beating Michigan three or four times in a season.
*In one year he took JMU from having the worst recruiting class in the Sunbelt to the third best.
*He's been the recruiting coordinator at every school he's been an assistant at. Clearly an elite recruiter.

He really checks all the boxes with the only down size being age. But he's probably got a least three energetic years left and maybe as many as five or six. If a coach is really good, they would likely leave after a few year anyway, so five years would be a win.
So, energy is lost at age 65? I'm 65 and most of my friends are similar in age and have more energy than those in their fifties. You think Woodson should be in a retirement home already?

For those who care about such things, I believe 3 of his assistant coaches have previously coached at IU (Bloomington, not Pennsylvania)

Reactions: vesuvius13
Here's the James Madison coaching staff; looks like a good young group. ((if this has already been posted my apologies for reasons unknown many of the posts with presumed links just show up as a blank screen at my end of things)):

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe
I think this guy will land a terrific QB in the portal possibly the one he already coaches at JMU who had a fantastic season. Pat Kuntz and the JMU D-Line had a phenomenal year as well. They’ll bring in some guys who can compete right away.

Here's the James Madison coaching staff; looks like a good youn group. ((if this has already been posted my apologies for reasons unknown many of the posts with presumed links just show up as a blank screen st my end of things)):

As I posted elsewhere, 3 former IU coaches on the staff FWIW

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
So, energy is lost at age 65? I'm 65 and most of my friends are similar in age and have more energy than those in their fifties. You think Woodson should be in a retirement home already?
There are not many people who have the energy required to be a college football coach past the age of about 67. I am 57 and coach and it's a lot harder than it was at 40. I am sure you are going to argue that 65 is just when coaches are getting going, but there are not a lot of coaches out there that would agree with that.

Im 71 and feel the same. I ride 3-5 days per week, 13-17mph and 20-30 miles rides. From Cignetti interviews I have seen on Twitter ... he is a very young 62.

My friend from HS is 69 and still coaching HS basketball in Indiana.

This is awesome.

If it's true and I wake up tomorrow to hear that Coach Cignetti will be meeting with his team to tell them, I will be stoked.

Character guy, demands character from his team, can coach, navigate NIL and recruiting, and win.

Great hire.

I think this guy will land a terrific QB in the portal possibly the one he already coaches at JMU who had a fantastic season. Pat Kuntz and the JMU D-Line had a phenomenal year as well. They’ll bring in some guys who can compete right away.
Someone on the premie posted a link to a tweet that (the person tweeting) heard that Grayson McCall (Costal Carolina) was going to follow Cignetti to IU. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
This is awesome.

If it's true and I wake up tomorrow to hear that Coach Cignetti will be meeting with his team to tell them, I will be stoked.

Character guy, demands character from his team, can coach, navigate NIL and recruiting, and win.

Great hire.
That he has been Recruiting Coordinator at major programs is a huge asset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT