ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti all Business

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
Cignetti seems like he's all about winning and pretty ruthless which honestly Indiana probably needed. He's let go a bunch of guys on his staff, and is not honoring all prior Indiana commits. I think he's going to go hard after current JMU players he likes and is stocking the team with as many upperclassmen as possible to win now. Everything about this has a very "Saban" feel to it. And it's probably the only way to win at Indiana.

Last edited:
Nice guys finish last. We should know, it’s been that way my entire lifetime. It’s beyond time to get a little ‘ruthless’.
We definitely have a "ruthless" feel. The next thing you will see is a bunch of guys hitting the transfer portal who have been asked to leave. I would not be surprised to see a 50% roster turnover. Coming from JMU he's got a natural place to build a roster from as it's a step up for their top 15 or 20 guys.

Were are you getting the ruthless feel?

He needs the right staff, and honoring prior commits blindly doesn't make any sense.

But if so, I guess I won't be surprised. He has a strong belief in his systems.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Cignetti seems like he's all about winning and pretty ruthless which honestly Indiana probably needed. He's let go a bunch of guys on his staff, not honoring prior commits. I think he's going to go hard after current JMU players he likes and is stocking the team with as many upperclassmen as possible to win now. Everything about this has a very "Saban" feel to it. And it's probably the only way to win at Indiana.
What guys did he let go on his staff?

Cignetti seems like he's all about winning and pretty ruthless which honestly Indiana probably needed. He's let go a bunch of guys on his staff, not honoring prior commits. I think he's going to go hard after current JMU players he likes and is stocking the team with as many upperclassmen as possible to win now. Everything about this has a very "Saban" feel to it. And it's probably the only way to win at Indiana.
Not at all ruthless.

If there is a coaching change, the players have a right to de-commit, leave the team and go in a different direction. So the team should have the right to not re-sign the players and also go in a different direction.

It's called doing business and college sports is a BIG Business.

Confused as to what you are saying. He let go guys on his JMU staff go ? Because he is not under any obligation to keep IU people. Also these staff guys did not honor prior commits ?

He fired a good chunk of his staff and did honor prior commits.
Are you referring to his staff at JMU or Tom Allen’s staff? It is fairly common for new coaches to bring in an entirely new staff. So, if you’re referring to Tom Allen’s staff they are fortunate anyone was held over. That doesn’t make him ruthless at all. Brandon Shelby was the only holdover from KW’s staff when TA took over and I doubt anyone views him as ruthless.

If you’re talking about his JMU staff I don’t understand how he can fire that staff and not even be the acting head coach. Are we talking about that he didn’t bring all of them over? That’s not the same as firing them and how do we know who didn’t want to come or is pursuing a different opportunity? Like others I’m very confused what you are saying here. I don’t understand how he would be firing anyone right now.

He needs to honor university commitments to players. That’s doing it the right way.

He can/should be honest about expected role on the team, PT, if he is recruiting better players at their position…all of it, but it should stop short of Prime style outright cutting a player.

He needs to honor university commitments to players. That’s doing it the right way.

He can/should be honest about expected role on the team, PT, if he is recruiting better players at their position…all of it, but it should stop short of Prime style outright cutting a player.
I assume he is doing that. Any evidence he isn't?

Or are you 'just sayin' that is the right thing FYI?

I agree. But a 'commit' is someone who signed. Not a verbal. Verbals should be treated with respect, yes.

I assume he is doing that. Any evidence he isn't?

Or are you 'just sayin' that is the right thing FYI?
Nope just going off of posts…it’s hard to tell who actually knows what’s going on and who is guessing or reading into things, but either way I hope we continue to take the high road.

Are you referring to his staff at JMU or Tom Allen’s staff? It is fairly common for new coaches to bring in an entirely new staff. So, if you’re referring to Tom Allen’s staff they are fortunate anyone was held over. That doesn’t make him ruthless at all. Brandon Shelby was the only holdover from KW’s staff when TA took over and I doubt anyone views him as ruthless.

If you’re talking about his JMU staff I don’t understand how he can fire that staff and not even be the acting head coach. Are we talking about that he didn’t bring all of them over? That’s not the same as firing them and how do we know who didn’t want to come or is pursuing a different opportunity? Like others I’m very confused what you are saying here. I don’t understand how he would be firing anyone right now.
I was saying he did not bring multiple guys from his JMU staff. Most guys who go 11-1 don't fire four coaches at the end of the season (or in this case not hire them at their new job). Cignetti talks about attacking complacency and when you let go of four guys after going 11-1 that shows a really demanding coach. Maybe they all had new homes in Virginia and turned him down on the move for twice the salary, but my guess is they were let go.

I was saying he did not bring multiple guys from his JMU staff. Most guys who go 11-1 don't fire four coaches at the end of the season (or in this case not hire them at their new job). Cignetti talks about attacking complacency and when you let go of four guys after going 11-1 that shows a really demanding coach. Maybe they all had new homes in Virginia and turned him down on the move for twice the salary, but my guess is they were let go.
Didn't bring multiple guys? He brought damn near his entire staff as well as S & C staff.

Mike Elko appears to be hiring mostly an entire new staff at A&M. Last I read Kevin John’s who we all know from the KW days and was his OC at Duke was going to be interviewed, but he was pursuing a large candidate pool for the OC job. So, there are many examples of coaches who don’t bring over their entire staffs whether because they didn’t want to come or the coach feels he has better options. Whichever is the case for Cignetti he is building his staff his way and I think he has that right. At the end of the day I’m not concerned about names or the process. I’m concerned about the results on the field. If what he is doing is the best path to winning I’m all for it and won’t lose any sleep over how it’s done.

Mike Elko appears to be hiring mostly an entire new staff at A&M. Last I read Kevin John’s who we all know from the KW days and was his OC at Duke was going to be interviewed, but he was pursuing a large candidate pool for the OC job. So, there are many examples of coaches who don’t bring over their entire staffs whether because they didn’t want to come or the coach feels he has better options. Whichever is the case for Cignetti he is building his staff his way and I think he has that right. At the end of the day I’m not concerned about names or the process. I’m concerned about the results on the field. If what he is doing is the best path to winning I’m all for it and won’t lose any sleep over how it’s done.
I think it says a lot about Cignetti's trust in his staff bringing over as many guys as he did especially with a much larger budget pool than he enjoyed at JMU. Most the guys he's bringing over have never held job titles higher then grad assistant or quality control at the P5 level.

This is 100% correct. I’ve been told by someone best described as an innocent bystander that anything affiliated with Tom Allen and his culture have been (or are being) systematically scrubbed from the building and program.
If LEO is just Tom Allen, Yes, he was let go.

Come up with a new performance mantra for the new coach I guess.

I think it says a lot about Cignetti's trust in his staff bringing over as many guys as he did especially with a much larger budget pool than he enjoyed at JMU. Most the guys he's bringing over have never held job titles higher then grad assistant or quality control at the P5 level.
It worried me some... But the resumes are decent, especially after results at JMU. And the fact that he grabbed Bostad is promising as well. Plus the Colorado State coach happened very fast so he must have already had the respect from coach.

Those men were employed by JMU, and presumably some will continue to be. I don’t know how those contracts work regarding severence pay but I don’t think there is any ethical obligation when you switch Us to bring your staff. Clearly the budget is much higher at IU so the available talent pool is much deeper.

I for one am glad CCC is looking to hire the best coaches he can find at the pay level he is working with.

The recruiting coordinator and Bostad are the only confirmed retention … He even brouht his own strength and conditioning coach.
Who did he drop from HIS staff. The 'retention's' were from Tom Allen's staff. So they are not 'retentions' , but additions to his staff. New hires for him, even if they were under contract to IU prior.

He did as mentioned somewhere here, drop his secondary coach from JMU, a few others. Brought a lot intact. Of his staff from JMU. Not all his staff, so he is apparently upgrading, that seems to be true, which is awesome.

The Coyle reaction to his own interview soundbite is quite entertaining!

Coyle explained his dumb question, ("You have to deal with NIL now, you haven't had to before.' ... ... 'Oh wait what I had meant, was deal with it at the big ten level obviously') then they assume that meaning of the dumb question should have been known, even though it's made up, and use it to rip on Cignetti for him making it obvious he considered it a stupid question.

Good stuff.

I like their vidcast though. There's several good channels I only recently started watching the vids instead of only the blogs or writings.

Who did he drop from HIS staff. The 'retention's' were from Tom Allen's staff. So they are not 'retentions' , but additions to his staff. New hires for him, even if they were under contract to IU prior.

He did as mentioned somewhere here, drop his secondary coach from JMU, a few others. Brought a lot intact. Of his staff from JMU. Not all his staff, so he is apparently upgrading, that seems to be true, which is awesome.
He just added his Running backs coach from JMU so it looks like he dropped his o-line coach, two secondary coaches and a rovers coach..

He just added his Running backs coach from JMU so it looks like he dropped his o-line coach, two secondary coaches and a rovers coach..
It was said here he would be bringing his O-line coach. Which is why people wondered about Bostad.

So if true, that's new, thx.

Coach Cignetti's JMU OL coach Wroblewski is the temporary HC for their bowl game. He maybe in the running for the permanent HC job at JMU. It's unclear whether if he will join us at Indiana after the bowl game or stay on staff at JMU.

Reactions: 76-1
Coach Cignetti's JMU OL coach Wroblewski is the temporary HC for their bowl game. He maybe in the running for the permanent HC job at JMU. It's unclear whether if he will join us at Indiana after the bowl game or stay on staff at JMU.
My guess is that Wroblewski is JMU's backup plan for Head Coach if they don't get one of their top three hot commodities...

It wouldn't surprise me if they did wiff on all three because it appears that those three guys are looking to move up rather than laterally (although for the Holy Cross guy it'd be a move up). With any of those three JMU would just be renting them until the next big coaching shuffle, whereas with Wroblewski he appears to be closer to a long term type of guy...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT