ADVERTISEMENT

Miami, FL quarterback Alberto Mendoza talks about his commitment to Indiana and playing for Curt Cignetti.

Jim Coyle

Publisher
Feb 28, 2020
Bloomington, IN
thhehoosier.com
Alberto Mendoza is a "winner with a pedigree." He joined me on ISB Radio to talk about his commitment to IU and playing football for Curt Cignetti. (*This is the YouTube version, it can also be found on all podcast formats)

Indiana football now has a stable of highly talented quarterbacks on the roster. One of those is Miami, FL product Alberto Mendoza. After sitting behind his brother Fernando for two seasons, Alberto led Columbus HS to back to back state titles while Fernando headed to Berkley. His brother started the last 7 games for Cal last season as a redshirt freshman and led the Golden Bears to wins over UCLA, Oregon State, and Washington State. Alberto Mendoza definitely has a pedigree. But there's more than good genes at work here. You can tell by listening to him he also has a quarterback's minds, and way of thinking and processing, and a winners mentality.

Crazy just how quickly the QB room has changed.
I agree, but it's not just the QB room. The entire mentality around Indiana football has a different vibe to it, even though they have not played a down yet.

But the increase in quality at QB for Indiana is substantially higher than it was just 2 months ago. While you never know, I do not think either will challenge for the starting job next season, I am looking forward to seeing if Tyler Cherry or Alberto is the perceived "heir apparent"? That should be a fun battle and I am sure there will be another coming in each season.

Saw the conversation the other day. Seems like a very sharp kid and the one thing he said about being able to process information quickly I think is important. Sort of goes to what CCC was saying about QB's who know how to play QB and not just arm talent. Looking to see how he develops along with the others.

I like the offensive talent the team is putting together, still a little concerned with the defense side of the ball.

Saw the conversation the other day. Seems like a very sharp kid and the one thing he said about being able to process information quickly I think is important. Sort of goes to what CCC was saying about QB's who know how to play QB and not just arm talent. Looking to see how he develops along with the others.

I like the offensive talent the team is putting together, still a little concerned with the defense side of the ball.
With all these DL offers coming up recently, I assume the defense will get their boost soon. They needs some playmakers and lots of depth...

I agree, but it's not just the QB room. The entire mentality around Indiana football has a different vibe to it, even though they have not played a down yet.

But the increase in quality at QB for Indiana is substantially higher than it was just 2 months ago. While you never know, I do not think either will challenge for the starting job next season, I am looking forward to seeing if Tyler Cherry or Alberto is the perceived "heir apparent"? That should be a fun battle and I am sure there will be another coming in each season.
So needed. The CTA experiment probably lasted a year longer than it should have. I am happy for the players to get a fresh start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT