ADVERTISEMENT

Great choice for new IU football coach-from fan going back to BoMillin era

iujknut

Redshirt
Sep 10, 2001
As a football season ticket holder and basketball for over 55 years I've seen them all. Bernie Crimmins was the football coach from my four years at IU, 1952-1956--a very bad coach and time. Others followed-Phil Dickens good coach but put the program in all sports into probation-impacted all teams including basketball for many years. John Pont-a terrific guy and miracle winner, gotIU into their only 1967 Rose Bowl-greatest IU game I ever saw, beating top three Purdue in Bloomington. My IU wife and I went to Rose Game-still see drop in end zone to end first quarter negating touchdown. OJ Simpson USC star won game for USC.
Bill Mallory was a great choice-a head coach and winner at both Colorado and Northern Illinois before he came to IU- Bob Knight a big factor in his coming to IU.
And when we begin to judge our new coach, Curt Cignetti please remember that Mallory's first team at IU went 0-11 and took three
seasons gradually improving. Unfortunately his last three seasons were complete collapse.
The best choice in my opinion after him was Terry Hoepner. In his brief time he had begun to strongly turn the program forward. He was a winner in the Big Mac as a head coach, but tragically was overcome by a fatal disease.

Cignetti is a very good choice. This is the chance of a lifetime for him. The talk that nobody would want to couch IU is completely wrong-to coach in the Big Ten is an amazing opportunity for almost anyone. He faces challenges though greater than any IU coach in any sport has faced. The admission next season of USC, UCLA,OREGON AND WASHINGTON-ALL CHAMPIONSHIP LEVEL TEAMS EXPANDS THE CHALLANGE BEYOND MEASURING. And as other schools continue to substantially improving their facilities, including Purdue the need to get on board with a competitive football program is dramatic.

The collapse of the Pac 12 shows that no long term members are safe, leaving Oregon State and Washington State hanging in the wind, if they are weak-which IU is shows what can happen if we aren't competitive.

Go Hoosiers-I don't have too much time left

As a football season ticket holder and basketball for over 55 years I've seen them all. Bernie Crimmins was the football coach from my four years at IU, 1952-1956--a very bad coach and time. Others followed-Phil Dickens good coach but put the program in all sports into probation-impacted all teams including basketball for many years. John Pont-a terrific guy and miracle winner, gotIU into their only 1967 Rose Bowl-greatest IU game I ever saw, beating top three Purdue in Bloomington. My IU wife and I went to Rose Game-still see drop in end zone to end first quarter negating touchdown. OJ Simpson USC star won game for USC.
Bill Mallory was a great choice-a head coach and winner at both Colorado and Northern Illinois before he came to IU- Bob Knight a big factor in his coming to IU.
And when we begin to judge our new coach, Curt Cignetti please remember that Mallory's first team at IU went 0-11 and took three

seasons gradually improving. Unfortunately his last three seasons were complete collapse.
The best choice in my opinion after him was Terry Hoepner. In his brief time he had begun to strongly turn the program forward. He was a winner in the Big Mac as a head coach, but tragically was overcome by a fatal disease.

Cignetti is a very good choice. This is the chance of a lifetime for him. The talk that nobody would want to couch IU is completely wrong-to coach in the Big Ten is an amazing opportunity for almost anyone. He faces challenges though greater than any IU coach in any sport has faced. The admission next season of USC, UCLA,OREGON AND WASHINGTON-ALL CHAMPIONSHIP LEVEL TEAMS EXPANDS THE CHALLANGE BEYOND MEASURING. And as other schools continue to substantially improving their facilities, including Purdue the need to get on board with a competitive football program is dramatic.

The collapse of the Pac 12 shows that no long term members are safe, leaving Oregon State and Washington State hanging in the wind, if they are weak-which IU is shows what can happen if we aren't competitive.

Enjoyed your comments and agree. l am of your era and remember Coach McMillan and saw the IU-Tulsa game in the old stadium in 1945 when I was a little boy, later receiving my degree from IU.

Hoeppner was the man. RIP

I want to run through a brick wall for Coach Cig. He has shades of Hep in him and shades of a maniac in him. I love him already
That was my thought as well. He reminds me a lot of coach Hep. Cigs first interview was on the Big Ten Network on Lucas Oil Field this morning and he made a bold statement that IU would be playing there for the title next year. Heps introduction press conference he placed a rose in a crystal ball on the podium and said IU will be going there. Let's hope Cigs is able to complete Heps mission.......

Thanks for sharing those memories!!

The best thing about this hire is he knows that the admin has to be on board and I think they are. I can't wait for next season to see how much of a change coach can make with the Hoosiers.

Last edited:
My IU wife and I went to Rose Game-still see drop in end zone to end first quarter negating touchdown. OJ Simpson USC star won game for USC.
I was there, too, as a junior in high school. I can still see that play today as if in slow motion. Al Gage ran his route to the end zone, stopped, turned around and just as the ball hit him right between the number it bounced off his chest in what should have been a well executed TD pass from Harry Gonso. It would have made the halftime score 10-7 after our second quarter field goal, along with momentum going into the locker room. I'm sure it's haunted Al as well. IU fans loved that team and he was forgiven, after all, we were just glad to be there as the last BT team to make it to the Rose Bowl, back when it was "The Grandaddy of 'Em All"..

I really hope you are able to see IU turn it around, and be at the top of the Big Ten instead of the cellar dwellers we have been.

His resume indicates a competent in game coach, something Indiana truly hasn't had since probably Bill Mallory.

That excites me as much as anything.
The thing JMU fans, from me just googling around, bag on Coach Cignetti about is game management of time outs. Said get used to being frustrated about time management.

Hope that's wrong. It doesn't jive with someone who's on top of football strategy, and I'm inclined to believe coach is pretty good.

I was there, too, as a junior in high school. I can still see that play today as if in slow motion. Al Gage ran his route to the end zone, stopped, turned around and just as the ball hit him right between the number it bounced off his chest in what should have been a well executed TD pass from Harry Gonso. It would have made the halftime score 10-7 after our second quarter field goal, along with momentum going into the locker room. I'm sure it's haunted Al as well. IU fans loved that team and he was forgiven, after all, we were just glad to be there as the last BT team to make it to the Rose Bowl, back when it was "The Grandaddy of 'Em All"..
I was at the first game in 1967 when Gage caught the winning pass right in front of where we were sitting. We didn't know at that time what a special season that would become.

I was at the first game in 1967 when Gage caught the winning pass right in front of where we were sitting. We didn't know at that time what a special season that would become.
That was certainly the beauty of the season, the unexpected nature of it...the "Katzenjammer Kids". I sheepishly must admit, I gave my ticket away to a Purdue fan for that last game. Knowing that if we won it, we would go to the Rose Bowl, I was so nervous I couldn't bear to watch it. I couldn't even bring myself to listen on the radio so i drove out to Eagle Creek Reservoir for four hours during the game. When I finally turned the radio on with great trepidation, I was greeted with delirious exuberance by the IU announcer ("Hey Siri, who was the IU radio announcer before Don Fischer?"). I was literary beside myself in excitement and unbelievable relief, but to this day, have always regretted by cowardly decision to not "man up" for what became, arguably, the most famous game in IU football history.

IU fans assumed with "the BIG three" (Butcher, Isenbarger, Gonso) only sophomores, we would find continued success, but it was never recaptured to the same degree in the ensuring years, but those three years are still the most celebrated run in history for IU fans.

Taped to my bedroom's closet door, I used to have a nearly life-size photo poster of Harry Gonso standing behind center, under which were the words, "The Spirit of '67". I wish I still had it today. That whole era still gladdens my heart in warm fuzzies.

A cherished possession of mine (thanks to my nephew in southern California) is a pennant of IU at the Rose Bowl. It says "I was there Rose Bowl, Pasadena California, Fighting Hoosiers" with a picture of the stadium and Indiana in large letters. What a great thing to have!

I have the program from that IU Purdue game lying on the coffee table in my living room right now. i was a junior in high school and my sister was attending IU during that time. She got me a ticket to that game, so loved watching Terry Cole (RIP) run that trap play up the middle for one score and almost a second one. Terry was from my neck of the woods so became a big hero in Southern Indiana for that game and season.

I have the program from that IU Purdue game lying on the coffee table in my living room right now. i was a junior in high school and my sister was attending IU during that time. She got me a ticket to that game, so loved watching Terry Cole (RIP) run that trap play up the middle for one score and almost a second one. Terry was from my neck of the woods so became a big hero in Southern Indiana for that game and season.
Purdue was playing a no LB middle defense on that particular play. LOL

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
Eric, yes, and thank you. I forgot after the “S”. I believe he resides in Bloomington.
Famous for receiving pass interference calls that resulted in called receptions for Indiana. Good for Eric.

Last edited:
That was certainly the beauty of the season, the unexpected nature of it...the "Katzenjammer Kids". I sheepishly must admit, I gave my ticket away to a Purdue fan for that last game. Knowing that if we won it, we would go to the Rose Bowl, I was so nervous I couldn't bear to watch it. I couldn't even bring myself to listen on the radio so i drove out to Eagle Creek Reservoir for four hours during the game. When I finally turned the radio on with great trepidation, I was greeted with delirious exuberance by the IU announcer ("Hey Siri, who was the IU radio announcer before Don Fischer?"). I was literary beside myself in excitement and unbelievable relief, but to this day, have always regretted by cowardly decision to not "man up" for what became, arguably, the most famous game in IU football history.

IU fans assumed with "the BIG three" (Butcher, Isenbarger, Gonso) only sophomores, we would find continued success, but it was never recaptured to the same degree in the ensuring years, but those three years are still the most celebrated run in history for IU fans.

Taped to my bedroom's closet door, I used to have a nearly life-size photo poster of Harry Gonso standing behind center, under which were the words, "The Spirit of '67". I wish I still had it today. That whole era still gladdens my heart in warm fuzzies.
Max Skirvin.

Mallory, Hoeppner, Cignetti....these 3 are the only 3 coaches in the last 40 years hired by IU that were sitting head coaches.

Big in commercial real estate and development.
Yes, and he about knocked over my wife and I at the UConn game in 2003. Somebody yelled out his name and Stolberg rushed so much to see that guy and hug him that it didn't matter who he hit in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT