ADVERTISEMENT

So tired of this crap that we can't fire a coach for underachieving in 3 yrs ...

Two names: Roy Williams and John Calipari. You heard of them?

Both were big name, elite coaches at the top of their games when they took over programs that fired their coach within the first 3 years.

How many times do we have to prove you wrong kid?

North Carolina was a dumpster fire and finished 4-12 and 6-10 his last two years in conference and missed the tournament both years. We're not in that situation.

Billy Gillespie didn't even sign a contract at Kentucky. I'm fairly certain that made it pretty easy for Kentucky to fire Gillespie.

Yeah, tell that to Walton and Kareem, maybe Buckner, Bird, Magic and May too. I'm sure they'll agree
Sorry, i'm watching the game and should have been more clear. All the games of the tournament were not nationally televised in the 60's and 70's.

Bird's run in 79 is actually indicative of how much less competitive college basketball was back then. You think one player, however good, could carry Indiana State to the finals these days? Not likely.

Sorry, i'm watching the game and should have been more clear. All the games of the tournament were not nationally televised in the 60's and 70's.

Bird's run in 79 is actually indicative of how much less competitive college basketball was back then. You think one player, however good, could carry Indiana State to the finals these days? Not likely.
It would be as improbable today as it was then, but it in no way was indicative of how much less competitive college basketball was then. That’s really unfounded and totally ignorant. Can’t believe you didn’t realize tournament games were on television. Wow.

It would be as improbable today as it was then, but it in no way was indicative of how much less competitive college basketball was then. That’s really unfounded and totally ignorant. Can’t believe you didn’t realize tournament games were on television. Wow.
There's a game on...try watching it.

I don't need posting advice from someone who's been banned a dozen times. Still, I'll be clearer next time.
And we don’t need posts from someone who obviously doesn’t have a clue about the subject matter, which you don’t. No television?! And then an attempt to clarify that was just as dumb? Nice.

How unprepared is this team to break the press in the last 2 minutes...are you kidding?

Oh, we can't do that! Who would come here if we did that? That's nonsense, ANYBODY would! Shit, I sure would, though I'm not confident or competent to do so, I sure would for $15 M over 4 years, I'd try! Point being, any coach with a modicum of confidence in themselves is not turning down what we pay, at a storied program with strong in state prospects, and basketball crazed state. Given our history of accepting mediocrity for far too long, it makes the job even more appealing and anybody with confidence in themselves would try

Just look what a great job it was for everybody who tried to fill John Wooden’s shoes at UCLA.

I tend to go for comedies, I'll find one, apparently you live in Hawaii now? Can you imagine how depressing it is to go through three winters here with shitty bball? It's ice rain, and I'd bet you we're about to get our ass kicked by f'n Nebraska … let that sink in

Nice prediction, Nostradmus.

I could, but it wouldn't be worth the time. To put in perspective, I'm more excited about what I might be able to find on Netflix this afternoon than watching us lose again to a crap team, and you and the sunshine pumpers find that an acceptable reality … oh, I hope we can make the NCAA tourney, what a joke.
You were sure we were going to lose. Did you watch the win?

Reactions: MrBing

That's f'n stupid, do you know anything about basketball history. Bird had a team, of Indiana guys, and Carl Nicks, also a pro. Do you know how Magic described Larry's skill level … "frightening" and guarding him apparently gave James Worthy (HOF too) "nightmares". Are you serious?

You were sure we were going to lose. Did you watch the win?

Nope, glad and surprised we did, but the day I'm going to pay to watch what should be an expected win against Nebraska will never come. I can't even imagine selling that one to my wife, who is not a sports fan but would still know enough to know that IU should always beat them … "well, who are they playing? Nebraska, you want to go out for that?"

Just look what a great job it was for everybody who tried to fill John Wooden’s shoes at UCLA.

That's a reason to pay high $ for shit ball? Hope you don't run a business, and BTW, they kind of won it all again in '95, more recently than us and went to a couple F4's and Finals a few years ago … they're trying and that they fired both coaches that achieved that in that timespan is an absolute indictment of our administration's management of this program over that same time

Nope, glad and surprised we did, but the day I'm going to pay to watch what should be an expected win against Nebraska will never come. I can't even imagine selling that one to my wife, who is not a sports fan but would still know enough to know that IU should always beat them … "well, who are they playing? Nebraska, you want to go out for that?"
So you would have missed every game of the ‘75 and ‘76 regular seasons. I think your logic is very flawed.

Nope, glad and surprised we did, but the day I'm going to pay to watch what should be an expected win against Nebraska will never come. I can't even imagine selling that one to my wife, who is not a sports fan but would still know enough to know that IU should always beat them … "well, who are they playing? Ne? '''

You don't even have the BTN? lol

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
That's f'n stupid, do you know anything about basketball history. Bird had a team, of Indiana guys, and Carl Nicks, also a pro. Do you know how Magic described Larry's skill level … "frightening" and guarding him apparently gave James Worthy (HOF too) "nightmares". Are you serious?
In a 21 season span from the 56 season to the 76 season, there were 7 undefeated seasons. Why? Is it because those decades produced more talent? Or is it because there was no ESPN, no million dollar NBA contracts, no billion dollar March Madness TV contracts, no billion dollar shoe industry pumping it all up by way of the AAU system. All these factors push MORE talent into the game, chasing their piece of the pie and the glory. As a result, there is more talent in the ranks below the best teams, and more parity.

The greats were certainly great in any era. But the average D1 kid is much better these days. Better conditioned, more talented, and stronger. There's a reason they keep having to tweak the rules...widening the lane, moving the 3pt line back, changing where kids line up on the block...it's because the kids keep getting better.

Reactions: MrBing and JIMSHAM
In a 21 season span from the 56 season to the 76 season, there were 7 undefeated seasons. Why? Is it because those decades produced more talent? Or is it because there was no ESPN, no million dollar NBA contracts, no billion dollar March Madness TV contracts, no billion dollar shoe industry pumping it all up by way of the AAU system. All these factors push MORE talent into the game, chasing their piece of the pie and the glory. As a result, there is more talent in the ranks below the best teams, and more parity.

The greats were certainly great in any era. But the average D1 kid is much better these days. Better conditioned, more talented, and stronger. There's a reason they keep having to tweak the rules...widening the lane, moving the 3pt line back, changing where kids line up on the block...it's because the kids keep getting better.

No, it should be that way and guess what the college 3 has always been a joke, that's why they've finally fixed it or trying to, because it's still a joke to a lot of 50 yr old smokers like me. It's remarkable to me that we don't have someone on this team that can hit one. I'm not that big or quick, or creating my own shot against good D, I'd just shoot it from well beyond the line unguarded and not worry about it. I still can, but it seems no one we have can employ the same strategy, because they can't shoot.

Also, ball handling, D, and passing skills are markedly diminished from 20 years ago everywhere. You see anybody in today's game going to take it away from an Allen Iverson, Steve Francis, or Jalen Rose or Jamal Crawford?

And to your other point about AAU, I'd bet my paycheck that if Bill Russell, Kareem, or Wilt were playing there, they'd all average 100

Last edited:
No, it should be that way and guess what the college 3 has always been a joke, that's why they've finally fixed it or trying to, because it's still a joke to a lot of 50 yr old smokers like me. It's remarkable to me that we don't have someone on this team that can hit one. I'm not that big or quick, creating my own shot against good D, I'd just shoot it from well beyond the line unguarded and not worry about it. I still can, but it seems no one we have can employ the same strategy
I think you have no idea how to perform in a big game. I would imagine in a gym with no defense any of our guards and at least Anderson and Hunter would slaughter you even if you are as good of shooter as you claim. It is amazing how easy big time sports to know it alls sitting on their couch.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
No, it should be that way and guess what the college 3 has always been a joke, that's why they've finally fixed it or trying to, because it's still a joke to a lot of 50 yr old smokers like me. It's remarkable to me that we don't have someone on this team that can hit one. I'm not that big or quick, or creating my own shot against good D, I'd just shoot it from well beyond the line unguarded and not worry about it. I still can, but it seems no one we have can employ the same strategy, because they can't shoot.

Also, ball handling, D, and passing skills are markedly diminished from 20 years ago everywhere. You see anybody in today's game going to take it away from an Allen Iverson, Steve Francis, or Jalen Rose or Jamal Crawford?

And to your other point about AAU, I'd bet my paycheck that if Bill Russell, Kareem, or Wilt were playing there, they'd all average 100
So, to recap, you're a 50 something smoker who thinks they could compete with D1 college kids because you'd just shoot long threes? Am I summarizing that right? I don't want to misquote you.

If so, you are delusional. I don't even know where to start with the rest, but I guess I'd say yes, there are plenty of guys who could D up the guards you mentioned.

Bill Russell was 6'9" and 215. Shaq would have eaten his lunch, and LeBron James would have worn him out too. He was very good in his day, of course. But he couldn't shoot. Justin Smith is a better free throw shooter than Bill Russell was.

So, to recap, you're a 50 something smoker who thinks they could compete with D1 college kids because you'd just shoot long threes? Am I summarizing that right? I don't want to misquote you.

If so, you are delusional. I don't even know where to start with the rest, but I guess I'd say yes, there are plenty of guys who could D up the guards you mentioned.

Bill Russell was 6'9" and 215. Shaq would have eaten his lunch, and LeBron James would have worn him out too. He was very good in his day, of course. But he couldn't shoot. Justin Smith is a better free throw shooter than Bill Russell was.
Two of the greatest college players of the last 50 years were Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton. Both highly skilled, well coached, extremely focused and highly competitive. Both would be dominant in today’s college game.

Two of the greatest college players of the last 50 years were Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton. Both highly skilled, well coached, extremely focused and highly competitive. Both would be dominant in today’s college game.
Agree on those two and most of the true greats. But the undeniable fact is that the average player today is much better than 30 years ago. I am an old guy too and can wax nostalgic with the best but in reality I didn't walk 10 miles each way uphill in the snow to school and there are far more great athletes with skill on the floor than years ago.

Or maybe it was because of the scholarship limits imposed in 1973. Which is why CBK said, "take a look at this team, you'll never see another one like it," about the '76 team. Before then schools like UCLA would offer scholarships to players just to keep them away from competing against them. They were only limited by the amount of money the school was willing to give out.

Agree on those two and most of the true greats. But the undeniable fact is that the average player today is much better than 30 years ago. I am an old guy too and can wax nostalgic with the best but in reality I didn't walk 10 miles each way uphill in the snow to school and there are far more great athletes with skill on the floor than years ago.
I don’t disagree, but I would argue that that today’s players are better in large part due to weight training / conditioning and nutritional advantages that are light years ahead of where things were 30, 40, 50 years ago, and more. From a skill standpoint, dribbling and passing are no better, even with the erosion of rules and the lax enforcement of them. You could argue that shooting as a function of the size of the player is better, even as shooting percentages have declined (the perimeter game, the advent of the 3, the “small ball” phenomenon, high ball screens rather than the motion game that was predicated on screening away from the ball, the lane arc, scoring off the dribble rather than as a function of team play, etc. are all contributors). It’s a different game, but I’m not sure those differences have made it more “competitive”.

That's not delusional. That's awesome. The signature of a true athlete...at some point in his life. love it!

Oh, we can't do that! Who would come here if we did that? That's nonsense, ANYBODY would! Shit, I sure would, though I'm not confident or competent to do so, I sure would for $15 M over 4 years, I'd try! Point being, any coach with a modicum of confidence in themselves is not turning down what we pay, at a storied program with strong in state prospects, and basketball crazed state. Given our history of accepting mediocrity for far too long, it makes the job even more appealing and anybody with confidence in themselves would try
Please tell us of your amazing life accomplishments, I for one, cannot wait to hear.

I don’t disagree, but I would argue that that today’s players are better in large part due to weight training / conditioning and nutritional advantages that are light years ahead of where things were 30, 40, 50 years ago, and more. From a skill standpoint, dribbling and passing are no better, even with the erosion of rules and the lax enforcement of them. You could argue that shooting as a function of the size of the player is better, even as shooting percentages have declined (the perimeter game, the advent of the 3, the “small ball” phenomenon, high ball screens rather than the motion game that was predicated on screening away from the ball, the lane arc, scoring off the dribble rather than as a function of team play, etc. are all contributors). It’s a different game, but I’m not sure those differences have made it more “competitive”.
I agree with all of this except the shooting percentages. Look at people like Maravich and you will be surprised at how low a percentage some of them shot

I agree that they were very good and would be very good today too. But they would face stiffer competition. Their teams wouldn't go undefeated, and neither would the 76 IU team, as great as they were.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
They were great players. Would have been one and dones though if they had the rules and circumstances the players have now.

All accurate and good insight into the average athlete today. The simple reason that there is more competition today is that there are more good athletes. There are more good athletes because of focus, sport exposure, diet, training, etc.

I agree with all of this except the shooting percentages. Look at people like Maravich and you will be surprised at how low a percentage some of them shot

I argued Jbj was just as good a shooter as pistol in college a few years ago. Pete shot more than Melo on the Knicks! With about as shitty a percentage.

I’m telling you all that Pearl is the guy. He would give us a great decade and put us back on the map. It is too obvious to ever happen though given our totally incompetent administration.
We have already been through Kelvin Sampson. We do not want to go through Bruce Pearl. If IU hires Bruce Pearl, I'll send my money and support somewhere else.

If Mother Theresa can carry a team to a Final 4 in a wheelchair then Larry Bird can do it.

No, reading comprehension, please, I'm not saying that I could compete at a D1 level, but just that I can still pure shoot it better than most of our current roster with a cigarette in mouth. And when you are, as they are, athletically gifted enough to play at that level and can sorta shoot (Green and Rob, maybe Franklin too), just shoot it from further, don't let D close out on you. If any of them tried that, we might see shooting improve. It's a lot easier to shoot it a few feet back when your unguarded and it's unexpected. You know, someone named Steph Curry makes a pretty good living at that.

Are you saying that Shaq could have eaten Olijuwan's (sp?) lunch, he sure didn't in the Finals, and I'd bet Wilt or Kareem would have kicked his ass too. Bigger, stronger, doesn't always translate to better. Players today are not as skilled or fundamentally sound.

Look at Luka Doncic, is he quick, have great handle, very athletic, play above the rim … no on all. But he's dominating at 20 years old because he can shoot, pass, and understands pace, spacing and is very unpredictable to guard. In contract, his former teammate Dennis Smith is an athletic freak of like Russell Westbrook caliber, can do all the things Doncic can't, but is not having a successful career anywhere he's been

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT