ADVERTISEMENT

Six weeks we will never get back, no matter what happens now

we could have delayed this and flattened the curve, which is all on Trump, but we couldn't have stopped it.

that said, all the media, and you and others on this board, all saw what was going down in China, and neither you nor other posters here, nor the US corporate media representing either party, ever pushed for one second for what you and the DNC media now criticize Trump for not pushing for, till precious time was lost.

Yes I understand Trump couldn’t have stopped it and I understand flatten the curve, obviously. I’ve been pretty aware of this virus since I was texting daily with girls in Italy all through February. Now what is it again that I should have personally pushed the DNC to do?

Cuomo said yesterday that they haven't run out of ventilators yet, but the new ventilators they are requesting are what they will need when they hit peak demand. Like a good leader, he is planning ahead for what is shortly coming, because he knows that having more than is needed "at the moment" is meaningless.

Same good leader who didn't shut down subways until this past Tues.

Let me know when the governors and mayors called it all a hoax and lie to the American people on a daily basis, and ignore the experts. Then we will compare.

Yeah, they just sit and allow millions to ride on buses, subways, and trains for weeks with saying a word. Good job!!

Nobody bats 1.000, but that doesn't change the fact that "They have all the ventilators they need at the moment" is an epically stupid remark.

You are comparing a stupid remark to potentially allowing thousands if not millions to get infected. Really?

Yes I understand Trump couldn’t have stopped it and I understand flatten the curve, obviously. I’ve been pretty aware of this virus since I was texting daily with girls in Italy all through February. Now what is it again that I should have personally pushed the DNC to do?

DUH!

you could have pushed for what you criticize Trump for not pushing for.

and the entire DNC and GOP not pushing for.

you have no problem pushing for the investor class at the expense of the working class all day every day.

No, I'm not comparing anything to anything. Do you have a hard time following the flow of a conversation?

Maybe at 11pm after 7 beers. But I understand you dismissed the failure to close down subways with a flippant remark of "no one bats a 1.000" and then described a stupid remark as "epic".

How about for the remark, I say "no one bats 1.000" and say Cuomo epically failed as a leader buy not shutting down the subways and allowing potentially millions to get infected and/or spread the infection.

Maybe at 11pm after 7 beers. But I understand you dismissed the failure to close down subways with a flippant remark of "no one bats a 1.000" and then described a stupid remark as "epic".

How about for the remark, I say "no one bats 1.000" and say Cuomo epically failed as a leader buy not shutting down the subways and allowing potentially millions to get infected and/or spread the infection.
I dismissed it because I wasn't talking about that, and I don't really care to. I was only responding to Zeke's question about whether or not Cuomo actually said they have enough ventilators "for the moment" and commenting on why that was a really stupid point. That's it. My lane in this thread is very narrow.

I dismissed it because I wasn't talking about that, and I don't really care to. I was only responding to Zeke's question about whether or not Cuomo actually said they have enough ventilators "for the moment" and commenting on why that was a really stupid point. That's it. My lane in this thread is very narrow.

My bad. I really need to leave this board.

The ultimate fanboi/devotee:

Some of you guys here need to show your devotion better. Deeds, not words. Bill has just upped his game. What about you? Wake up your ideas man!

Is a pandemic such as this a local problem or a global problem which we share with all human beings?

Of course it’s a global problem we all share. But I don’t think this answers my question. The bigger the problem means the bigger the role for state and local government. As big as the federal government is, it isn’t big enough for hands on work everywhere.

Of course it’s a global problem we all share. But I don’t think this answers my question. The bigger the problem means the bigger the role for state and local government. As big as the federal government is, it isn’t big enough for hands on work everywhere.

But should it have been the responsibility of universities, local schools, the NCAA, and governors to decide to close and lock-down? That's a debate we can have, but I don't think that's the most effective approach to a global pandemic.

Even right now there are over 30 low-price options for me to fly to Miami this week. Only the federal government can stop that.

Understand I'm not putting every decision along the way on Trump. CDC and the FDA are clear culprits in the delay in widespread testing. But there were clear signals being sent from the White House that everything was under control and it's hard to say how much effect that had down the chain.

Yeah, they just sit and allow millions to ride on buses, subways, and trains for weeks with saying a word. Good job!!
It’s funny, Trump made one good decision and for that people like you think he’s a hero. So far it appears NYC made one bad decision and for that you think they are terrible. Isn’t it interesting how that works?

DUH!

you could have pushed for what you criticize Trump for not pushing for.

and the entire DNC and GOP not pushing for.

you have no problem pushing for the investor class at the expense of the working class all day every day.
Oh good it’s sock puppet time for IGW, who can turn even a conversation on the virus into investor class warfare. Because of course he can.

Here's two pieces from the NYTs on the feds bungling....

One short term, on the testing failures....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

One that dates back 12 years of failed efforts to build up a strategic national stockpile of portable ventilators.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Here's two pieces from the NYTs on the feds bungling....

One short term, on the testing failures....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

One that dates back 12 years of failed efforts to build up a strategic national stockpile of portable ventilators.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

I mentioned before, there seems to be an obvious lack of institutional memory for handling pandemics. Not sure why that is considering that it tends to happen every 10-15 yrs. Or two in the last twenty years.

And new viruses popping up every year.

Washington State has prohibited fishing

It’s funny, Trump made one good decision and for that people like you think he’s a hero. So far it appears NYC made one bad decision and for that you think they are terrible. Isn’t it interesting how that works?

So now you are resorting to making up stuff like I see Trump as a hero?

I specifically stated criticism of Trump is justifiable in a post, I think to you.

And "one bad decision" is going to cost millions in sickness and thousands in lives. I found an article from 2 weeks ago where Cuomo/DeBlasio specifically stated subways were open, diputing a rumor.

https://abcnews-go-com.cdn.ampproje...ls-knock-train-subway-closure-rumors-69571690

These 2 idiots, with that lone decision, allowed the virus to be spread. But not one article ANYWHERE from the media criticizing them. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

So now you are resorting to making up stuff like I see Trump as a hero?

I specifically stated criticism of Trump is justifiable in a post, I think to you.

And "one bad decision" is going to cost millions in sickness and thousands in lives. I found an article from 2 weeks ago where Cuomo/DeBlasio specifically stated subways were open, diputing a rumor.

https://abcnews-go-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/nyc-officials-knock-train-subway-closure-rumors-69571690?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15854927467881&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nyc-officials-knock-train-subway-closure-rumors-69571690

These 2 idiots, with that lone decision, allowed the virus to be spread. But not one article ANYWHERE from the media criticizing them. NOT A SINGLE ONE.
DeBlasio wanted to shut the city down early and Cuomo said he didn't have the authority. Probably because Fox news.

CoH, is it the size of the problem or the type of the problem which can best be addressed at a global, national, state, or local level...or a combination of levels?

I mentioned before, there seems to be an obvious lack of institutional memory for handling pandemics. Not sure why that is considering that it tends to happen every 10-15 yrs. Or two in the last twenty years.

And new viruses popping up every year.
For starters, Trump has been categorically erasing institutional memory for 3+ years.

CoH, is it the size of the problem or the type of the problem which can best be addressed at a global, national, state, or local level...or a combination of levels?

Good question. In the typical disaster, the event lasts usually less than a day. All efforts are then focused on immediate emergencies and then longer term recovery. This is my experience in the Big Thompson flood and the focus of the few programs I attended about disasters. (FWIW, the Tennessee tornadoes are old news, but I know that the FEMA and many in local government are still working full time on that).

A pandemic is different, the event drags on, and will drag on, for months. The recovery won't be carried out in terms of rebuilding physical and business in confined damaged areas, but in terms of community, state, and national economic recovery.

I guess my answer to your question is no matter what the disaster, or how long it lasts, the front line response has to be local and state government. This is where the legal and governmental infrastructure is found to issue the appropriate orders and directives on short notice. State and local government always will have funding issues because those governments are required to have balanced budgets and borrowing authority is severely restricted. On the other hand, as we know, the feds can make money out of thin air. Obviously for something with the scope of this pandemic, the roles of national, state and local government become more blended. But overall, I think Trump was exactly right when he, for example, directed state agencies to procure needed supplies while making it clear the Feds were there for backup and financial assistance. Except for the VA, the feds don't routinely run health care facilities or procurement and distribution of medical equipment and supplies. It makes no sense for the feds to take on that responsibility during a crisis. Obviously the DOD has emergency health care capability which is now in full deployment.

I keep flashing back to the comment made by a FEMA official during a program I attended about pandemic being his biggest worry and why FEMA didn't instruct about that. Part of the post Katrina congressional response and driven by the shortcomings of state and local government with that disaster, was a requirement for FEMA to embark on a program to educate state and local government about disasters. That's how I attended those programs. The feds required local designated emergency officials, emergency plans, and other kinds of advance planning. Our designated official was a sheriff's captain. Conspicuously absent from this training was, of course, pandemic training. That will obviously change now. I envision similar programs involving state and local public health departments and hospitals for planning and training.

As awful as this pandemic is, one favorable outcome hopefully will to clean the bullshit out of our governmental infrastructure and bring more attention to efficiently carrying out core missions.

Sorry, this turned out to be more long winded than I intended.

Reactions: hoot1
Does he think it's 'Mission Accomplished'? Taking a victory lap now?

He is correct in one thing: the numbers are continuing to rise.....

Trump sure thinks it's a reelection issue.
The Democrats are the ones who are trying to score political points. Because we have been testing, and the reason why we are testing is because our President is on the job getting those tests out we are seeing more people have gotten this virus. The Democrats want to point out that we are the problem since we surpassed China. Guess what? They aren't testing and the truth is because they started this virus I would not trust anything they say. Their reporters who tried to get the truth out were all rounded up. These communists are untrustworthy.

The Democrats are the ones who are trying to score political points. Because we have been testing, and the reason why we are testing is because our President is on the job getting those tests out we are seeing more people have gotten this virus. The Democrats want to point out that we are the problem since we surpassed China. Guess what? They aren't testing and the truth is because they started this virus I would not trust anything they say. Their reporters who tried to get the truth out were all rounded up. These communists are untrustworthy.
Yikes! :eek:
I sure underestimated you in post #57 in this thread.

From some Kenyan, muslim community 'leader':

Blah, blah blah. Nothing about ratings, stock market numbers? What's the point of tweeting then? Fool!

On the other hand, his guy has it right. True American entrepreneurial spirit.

#virallystronger

Last edited:
The President has done a very good job during this crisis. He cut off flights coming in from China, tried to keep people from going to Europe. He's got good people in places to do their jobs. Democrat Governors of NY and CA praised him and Pence for their work. If we didn't have the Trump Economy at first then we would be in so much more trouble. I predict President Trump will be reelected by a landslide because the American people knows through this crisis that we have a real leader in charge who gets results.
are you for real, kind of new here

The President has done a very good job during this crisis. He cut off flights coming in from China, tried to keep people from going to Europe. He's got good people in places to do their jobs. Democrat Governors of NY and CA praised him and Pence for their work. If we didn't have the Trump Economy at first then we would be in so much more trouble. I predict President Trump will be reelected by a landslide because the American people knows through this crisis that we have a real leader in charge who gets results.

I don’t actually have a reply for this. I just wanted to save it for posterity. Or at least until November.

I don’t actually have a reply for this. I just wanted to save it for posterity. Or at least until November.

Tbf. we need a whole new website just for VPN's thoughts, musings, observations. They will be collectables or evidence studies for academia in 2040.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT