ADVERTISEMENT

Sigh, didn't even know that this board still existed, so posted at the new site....

iubigman

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2002
made me realize just how little I care about posting anymore.

Andy's death? Kids? Work? IU BBall fan base too much of a pain in the a** for my blood pressure? Who knows.

I signed up for premium access at the new site because I like the articles and the guys that write them. Even I'm not stupid enough to pay for two sites, so I'll be cancelling the rivals subscription today. Only when logging on over there and finding the board a total wasteland did I even think to check if this one was still up, was a wake up call of sorts.

Not sure how long my access will last, but this will probably be my last post, well, ever.

FWIW, I asked the other board about set plays for Little Bigman's 7-YO team, which I was guilted into coaching. Have at it.

Andy's death? Kids? Work? IU BBall fan base too much of a pain in the a** for my blood pressure? Who knows.

I signed up for premium access at the new site because I like the articles and the guys that write them. Even I'm not stupid enough to pay for two sites, so I'll be cancelling the rivals subscription today. Only when logging on over there and finding the board a total wasteland did I even think to check if this one was still up, was a wake up call of sorts.

Not sure how long my access will last, but this will probably be my last post, well, ever.

FWIW, I asked the other board about set plays for Little Bigman's 7-YO team, which I was guilted into coaching. Have at it.
Bigman good to hear from you. I barely post anymore too. I wouldn't run any set plays. Spend practice teaching them to shoot, dribble, and pass. Have them run and gun the whole game. Its more fun and 7 yr old's aren't running a 3-4 step set play. Best you can get is some give and go's or teaching them how to set picks.

BTW...Heading to DisneyWorld December 18th-23rd. First time there for XMas. Its been a long time since you gave me some great advice on how to do Disney.

Bigman good to hear from you. I barely post anymore too. I wouldn't run any set plays. Spend practice teaching them to shoot, dribble, and pass. Have them run and gun the whole game. Its more fun and 7 yr old's aren't running a 3-4 step set play. Best you can get is some give and go's or teaching them how to set picks.

BTW...Heading to DisneyWorld December 18th-23rd. First time there for XMas. Its been a long time since you gave me some great advice on how to do Disney.

You should have a great time! We went for a week in August for the first time since the two little bigmen were both old enough to ride most everything. Wore us OUT! Christmas is the best there. Wish I could go.

I figured maybe at least a ball screen or something? I have literally no idea what I'm doing. Soccer and Baseball, yes.

Ed. note: My Rivals membership runs through June so maybe I will post some more after all.

you picked the wrong site to pay.

I actually like this site as compared to Scout after comparing the two for a few months. I think Peegs made a large error bolting, but it's all about the Benjamin's so you do what you need to do to feed your kids I guess. I do like Matt on the football side of things on Scout, but overall Rivals didn't really loose too much as most of the homers and CBLers went with Peegs.

I actually like this site as compared to Scout after comparing the two for a few months. I think Peegs made a large error bolting, but it's all about the Benjamin's so you do what you need to do to feed your kids I guess. I do like Matt on the football side of things on Scout, but overall Rivals didn't really loose too much as most of the homers and CBLers went with Peegs.

you picked the wrong site to pay.
Is this one better? How are the new guys? I have said this before, but peegs and rabjohns are all about fluffing for hits. They seem to exaggerate the interest in some recruits towards IU and then get defensive after their board gets ugly. I noticed this while they were still with rivals.

Put your signature on everything team related. Track deflections, and if you win, spastically wave around a piece of paper and state how many they had. Make sure to substitute constantly, especially a player with a hot hand, and if you lose, blame it on the inexperience of the team and claim they need to play faster. Also, ignore defense, defense is for other teams.. Oh, you need a really good tan and too big pants ...

Good luck ..

You could say, "Just have the 7 year olds play like a Tom Crean coached team."

Reactions: C-$ and T.M.P.
Is this one better? How are the new guys? I have said this before, but peegs and rabjohns are all about fluffing for hits. They seem to exaggerate the interest in some recruits towards IU and then get defensive after their board gets ugly. I noticed this while they were still with rivals.
the statistical breakdown alone is better than anything Peegs was written in ten years.

Why are you worried about access? You'll still have your username and will be able to post on the free boards (including here). Hope you keep posting.

This:
Spend practice teaching them to shoot, dribble, and pass. Have them run and gun the whole game.

and this:
and boxing-out/rebounding

But I would have five set plays designed to get every kid 1 or 2 shots a game. These should be very simple single cross pick plays designed to get each position a shot near the FT line or in the lane. You will most likely have one kid that has advanced skills, that's your point guard that will handle the ball and make the passes.
Play #1: 4 or 5 back picks for 1 to get a layup or pull up shot in the lane.
Play #2: 5 picks for 2, 2 cuts toward FT line for shot.
Play #3: 4 picks for 3, 3 cuts toward FT line for shot.
Plays #4 & #5: 4 and 5 cross pick for each other to free them up in the lane.
Teach them to keep one guy back and have the other 4 guys to pound the boards like crazed dogs.

x
x x
2 xxxxxxxxxx 3
x x
x x
x x
4 x x 5
x O x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well shit, the diagram looked good before I posted it. Position 1 at top of the key. Positions 2 & 3 wide, FT line extended. Positions 4 & 5 on the blocks.
Like this for the positions:
x53A.GIF.pagespeed.ic.54ZHX7KZzL.png

How could I forget google images, now I will be the
gty.jpg

of many jokes.

Last edited:
Why are you worried about access? You'll still have your username and will be able to post on the free boards (including here). Hope you keep posting.

It's more that without the premium access I will have like zero impetus (less than now) to even come here. Plus my Liberal self worth won't be stroked when I don't see "gold" next to my name. ;)

For kids that young, I'd avoid set plays other than a simple pick and roll. I'm assuming you have to play man D, so just try teaching them a single offense: screen down, screen away. Start in a box around the lane with forwards at the top elbows and guards on the block. Tops screen down and the guards pop out to the wing. PG passes, and then screens away to the wing on the opposite side, who comes to the top to receive a pass and the play starts over: screen down, screen away.

Reactions: iubigman
For kids that young, I'd avoid set plays other than a simple pick and roll. I'm assuming you have to play man D, so just try teaching them a single offense: screen down, screen away. Start in a box around the lane with forwards at the top elbows and guards on the block. Tops screen down and the guards pop out to the wing. PG passes, and then screens away to the wing on the opposite side, who comes to the top to receive a pass and the play starts over: screen down, screen away.
Some basic 5 man motion with one ball screen play for the best kid called fist will do the trick. Maybe teach them two out of bounds plays.

Some basic 5 man motion with one ball screen play for the best kid called fist will do the trick. Maybe teach them two out of bounds plays.

Have to politely disagree. These are 7 year old kids. Why have a play "for the best kid"? At 7 let's develop all kids and not worry about winning the game at least until the last 2 minutes. I remember at 7 we had a kid that everyone was sure would be in the NBA. His Dad was our coach and we had lots of plays for the best kid. If we scored 30, he scored 24. By high school he wasn't even the best player from this team. Develop them all at that age!

You should have a great time! We went for a week in August for the first time since the two little bigmen were both old enough to ride most everything. Wore us OUT! Christmas is the best there. Wish I could go.

I figured maybe at least a ball screen or something? I have literally no idea what I'm doing. Soccer and Baseball, yes.

Ed. note: My Rivals membership runs through June so maybe I will post some more after all.
you don't have to have a premi to post the AOTF, dolt.

Seven years olds have zero chance to run any plays. Trying will just drive you to drink.

Who do you think you are? Bloom?

I've never coached younger than 9/10, but honestly I thought the same. Obviously though you are going to focus on skills, don't you have to teach them SOMETHING to do on the offensive end? That's why I like the screen down/screen away. It teaches very basic offensive concepts and gives everyone the chance to be in different positions on the floor. I still think that's the best approach but you have to be pretty liberal in what you expect and see as success! Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Seyton
I've never coached younger than 9/10, but honestly I thought the same. Obviously though you are going to focus on skills, don't you have to teach them SOMETHING to do on the offensive end? That's why I like the screen down/screen away. It teaches very basic offensive concepts and gives everyone the chance to be in different positions on the floor. I still think that's the best approach but you have to be pretty liberal in what you expect and see as success! Good luck and have fun!

I hear you, but to be honest, if you have two kids who merely listen to you, let alone comprehend anything you're probably winning the championship. Kind of like around here.

The good thing is that at that age you're allowed on the court with the kids so you pick a couple of them to concentrate on and direct - in addition to the team in general. It's not much better than t-ball, though.

But *my* kids... well, that's a different story... :)

I cant believe you're alive.
You know Trump won the election, right?
I figured you for a pistol selfie.

Welcome back.
Don't be so whiny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT