ADVERTISEMENT

Rubio ad

IU1

Hall of Famer
Apr 3, 2002
I've always believed the key to winning Presidential elections is to inspire the voters to vote for you. If you look at our past Presidents starting with Carter, they all had a certain amount of charm that connected with people. They showed some personality that endeared themselves to individual voters then were able to relate with or persuade them on issues.

This election season we have seen the worst from each candidate. On the right we have an angry and vindictive Trump insulting everybody with the field trying to respond by trading jabs or insults. On the left we have Bernie Sanders who comes across as a cranky old man and Hillary Clinton who is notoriously ice cold.

Cruz, Jeb Bush, Paul, Kasich, etc all seem angry during the debates.

So I'm watching NFL football yesterday and see this ad by Marco Rubio and it was my "a ha" moment. We finally have a candidate trying to endear themselves to the American Public rather that class baiting, fear mongering, or ripping the competition. Kudos to Rubio, he has moved up my radar screen.

I'm not saying I will vote for him but this ad went a long way to connecting with me. I hope more candidates, particularly Trump, take this cue and lighten up.

I've always believed the key to winning Presidential elections is to inspire the voters to vote for you. If you look at our past Presidents starting with Carter, they all had a certain amount of charm that connected with people. They showed some personality that endeared themselves to individual voters then were able to relate with or persuade them on issues.

This election season we have seen the worst from each candidate. On the right we have an angry and vindictive Trump insulting everybody with the field trying to respond by trading jabs or insults. On the left we have Bernie Sanders who comes across as a cranky old man and Hillary Clinton who is notoriously ice cold.

So I'm watching NFL football yesterday and see this ad by Marco Rubio and it was my "a ha" moment. We finally have a candidate trying to endear themselves to the American Public rather that class baiting, fear mongering, or ripping the competition. Kudos to Rubio, he has moved up my radar screen.

I'm not saying I will vote for him but this ad went a long way to connecting with me. I hope more candidates, particularly Trump, take this cue and lighten up.

His politics is more of the same, it doesn't really matter what they say in advertising. If you believe their advertising you have other issues.

Just another rightwing candidate who can't take the Oath of Office w/o lying.

I think Kasich maybe the only one on the right capable of doing that w/o lying but he won't even get a ray of light in this race.

His politics is more of the same, it doesn't really matter what they say in advertising. If you believe their advertising you have other issues.

Just another rightwing candidate who can't take the Oath of Office w/o lying.

I think Kasich maybe the only one on the right capable of doing that w/o lying but he won't even get a ray of light in this race.
I think you missed the point. This is the first time in this election season where I've seen a candidate show their personality and try to connect with the people. He's much more charismatic in this ad then any of them have shown up to this point.

Obama was the most unqualified candidate in my lifetime but people liked him because he seems friendly and had a nice smile. He has a high likability rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
I think you missed the point. This is the first time in this election season where I've seen a candidate show their personality and try to connect with the people. He's much more charismatic in this ad then any of them have shown up to this point.

Obama was the most unqualified candidate in my lifetime but people liked him because he seems friendly and had a nice smile.

I didn't miss the point that he fails to bring anything new to the table, will still put religion ahead of our Constitution and as such needs to be voted out of office at the first available opportunity along with the rest who lie when taking the oath to defend our Constitution from all interlopers, which includes their religion and then fails to uphold it.

With only the possible exception of Paul and Kasich, none of them can honestly take the Oath of Office based on things they've all said regarding their religion.

This is the very reason I asked a few weeks ago if we needed to actually redefine what is meant by the terms/words: "ALL, WE THE PEOPLE, MANKIND, etc" of that inclusive language used by our forefathers.

Last edited:
I didn't miss the point that he fails to bring anything new to the table, will still put religion ahead of our Constitution and as such needs to be voted out of office at the first available opportunity along with the rest who lie when taking the oath to defend our Constitution from all interlopers, which includes their religion and then fails to uphold it.

With only the possible exception of Paul and Kasich, none of them can honestly take the Oath of Office based on things they've all said regarding their religion.
:D :rolleyes: You're so blinded by GOP hatred it causes you to post unintentionally hilarious nonsensical things. Thanks for the laugh!

Reactions: mjvcaj and Lucy01
What's amusing is this thread is about candidates showing their personality and charm and he doesn't understand the thread topic. Curmudgeon might connect more with angry candidates which will give him plenty to choose from. I still believe in order to win the Presidency a candidate must inspire the populace to vote for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
:D :rolleyes: You're so blinded by GOP hatred it causes you to post unintentionally hilarious nonsensical things. Thanks for the laugh!

Fine, then show how I'm blind and stupid. I'll laugh at you as you fail to do so and prove you are the one being stupid.

Go...

Stating fact isn't me hating. I only have their statements and legislative initiatives while you have, nothing but your fantasies.

Fine, then show how I'm blind and stupid. I'll laugh at you as you fail to do so and prove you are the one being stupid.

Go...

Stating fact isn't me hating.
Once again, you make an incredibly stupid statement and then you ask everyone to prove you wrong. Dude, that's not how it works. Your statement is so stupid it cannot possibly be defended, but it's your job to defend it with some sort of proof. Go right ahead and try that and then maybe we'll address your defense of the stupidity.

Reactions: mike41703

Rubio's had my support ever since Scott Walker imploded on takeoff. He's pretty clearly the best candidate in the Republican field (at which time I air my obligatory lament that Mitch Daniels left politics). Rubio certainly isn't a perfect candidate -- but he's the best of the lot. And I think he'd be quite formidable in the general election. His biggest obstacle remains building trust with grassroots conservatives who felt betrayed by him in the Gang of 8 debacle. That's easier said than done, though -- because he's also in the position of having to rely on Republican donor types who want a Gang of 8 type bill passed and signed into law. Rubio's walking a political tightrope there, and it shows. The fundamental problem is a total disconnect between Republican donors and Republican voters on immigration policy.

But I've come to doubt that anybody other than Trump or Cruz can win the Republican nomination. Rubio's not leading any early states, for instance. He has to hope that, after Iowa and NH are out of the way, Bush, Kasich, Christie, etal will bow out and clear the field for him among establishment-friendly candidates. Bush and Kasich should probably go ahead and get out now -- neither of them have a prayer. I think Christie may still have a faint heartbeat. But he'll have to fare well in New Hampshire.

What's amusing is this thread is about candidates showing their personality and charm and he doesn't understand the thread topic. Curmudgeon might connect more with angry candidates which will give him plenty to choose from. I still believe in order to win the Presidency a candidate must inspire the populace to vote for them.
I concur with you there. It's a good positive personality ad. I saw it when it first came out a while back. I think it was about the beginning of football season.

I concur with you there. It's a good positive personality ad. I saw it when it first came out a while back. I think it was about the beginning of football season.

Has Rubio made the counter-programming calculation that, while everyone else is trying to out anger the rest of the field, his opportunity to stand out and collect a larger share of the voter pie is by being the aspirational candidate? If so, it's smart, shrewd politics. And one can only hope that it's also a sincere reflection of his core. For all of my political differences with Reagan, his essential decency and belief in positive things for the future drew immense respect. IMHO, the GOP desperately needs someone who honestly, credibly, and loudly speaks with that voice.

Reactions: IU1
I don't know if it's stupidity, but he is a very cranky old curmudgeon boiling over with resentment and illogical hatred for all things related to the GOP. That often results in some incredibly stupid and hilarious posts like that one. It litterally caused me to laugh and my drink almost exited via my nose when I read it.

I can only point out your lack of comprehension at what is happening at the end of your nose that you are in denial over.

Saying isn't doing my friend, using their own words and actions show I'm the one being stupid here.

You'll just blather on because we both know you can't show I'm wrong.

Rubio: If We Don’t Stop Gay Rights, Soon The Teachings Of The Catholic Church Will Be ‘Hate Speech’

Moderate Marco? Rubio Wants to Undo Gay Marriage, End Obama’s LGBT Protection

Do we need to run through the entire list of rightwing anti Constitutional candidates?

btw, if you remember my asking this sort of thing is exactly why I asked if you all actually needed the inclusive terms/word redefined like: "We the People..", "All...", "Mankind", etc ...you know, since it is apparent most of the right needs remedial help in this area.

Last edited:
Not my stupid unless you are on the receiving end of having the obvious pointed out to you as I'm doing here.

I don't want a single one of them and we don't need their religion either.

Remember what I was saying about turning everything into a strawman? You're doing it again.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Remember what I was saying about turning everything into a strawman? You're doing it again.

No, there is substance to what I say, see cites. Use google on the many ways the GOP wants to erode our rights, this just being for one segment of our population. There are more, see VoterID and the lies behind it and admitted to by republicans in Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Florida...

...and that isn't all!

This is the thing, you say I'm wrong and I'm the only one offering up even a semblance of fact over fiction.

It is likely that we - depending on where we live - are not seeing the mix of advertising being put out by numerous candidates in the first caucus and first three primary states yet. No reason to spend money in non target areas unless and until those areas become targets. We're never gonna see anything from about 11 of the 14 folks on both sides who are spending anything any where until Indiana becomes a target if it ever does.

Has Rubio made the counter-programming calculation that, while everyone else is trying to out anger the rest of the field, his opportunity to stand out and collect a larger share of the voter pie is by being the aspirational candidate? If so, it's smart, shrewd politics. And one can only hope that it's also a sincere reflection of his core. For all of my political differences with Reagan, his essential decency and belief in positive things for the future drew immense respect. IMHO, the GOP desperately needs someone who honestly, credibly, and loudly speaks with that voice.
Have to generally concur. When I decided to switch from Democrat to Republican one of the things I really liked about my new party is was generally much more optimistic and positive than the Democratic party - especially during the Reagan/GWH Bush years. No doubt that Republicans in general seemed to be much more so than Democrats in general. I'm disappointed to see pessimism and negativty have become so much more prevelant now (though there's still plenty of that on the Democratic side too). I don't like it and it's one of several things about too many current Republicans that is really disappointing to me. Rubio seems to be more positive than some of the others. I'm still not ready to leave the party and I'm certainly not open to rejoining the Democrats, but I will be considering Democratic candidates again (if they're the optimistic, positive and realistic candidate) for the first time in a couple cycles (my early Republican years I often voted for people of both parties). If we nominate Trump, the guy feeding the negative pessimistic crowd a bunch of nonsense, I suppose I'll be strongly considering leaving the Republican party and registering as an Independent.

You're such a bozo that you claim acting within the constitution (i.e. being for or against a constitutional amendment) is unconstitutional. It has been pointed out to you by lawyers here (Goat and others) that your silly examples of unconstitutional Republican positions aren't in fact unconstitutional at all. It doesn't matter if you've got your Depends in a bunch about them. You can continue to bluster and talk loudly like the cranky old nutty curmudgeon you're apparently proud to be, but it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

Not just a claim, is it hawaii, unlike your response.

Blustering and talking loudly w/o saying a thing, you are the master in this conversation.

Not digging a thing. I have my feet on terra firma and cited.

I can provide more examples of what I've stated here or new implications with the GOP candidates statements and actions.

You have, well, nothing so far.
You obviously don't understand what you cite. You don't have a clue what you're talking about so you should just stop.

Remember what you said:

I still can't look at that nonsense without laughing - at you, for not understanding how and why that's as stupid as stupid can be.

You obviously don't understand what you cite. You don't have a clue what you're talking about so you should just stop.

Remember what you said:

I still can't look at that nonsense without laughing - at you, for not understanding how and why that's as stupid as stupid can be.

:shrug: As I said, your fantasy versus what the GOP candidates and other elected officials in all capacities have said/done just in the last year in most cases.

Put their religion first and that just won't do.

I think many among us here understand why all you have are empty words.

It is likely that we - depending on where we live - are not seeing the mix of advertising being put out by numerous candidates in the first caucus and first three primary states yet. No reason to spend money in non target areas unless and until those areas become targets. We're never gonna see anything from about 11 of the 14 folks on both sides who are spending anything any where until Indiana becomes a target if it ever does.
I don't live in Indiana, I live in a community where most of the republican candidates have come to speak. The news only plays sound bytes that fits their narrative, such as bytes of Bush responding about Trump, etc. I haven't seen a lot of uplifting speech between the candidates. Donald Trump can be the most charming of any of them but is constantly on the attack and that's all that's being aired. Nobody has distinguished themselves as the gentleman candidate who is above attacks on the other party or other candidates. I'd like to see some of them touting their "vision" for America and not take the media's bait.

The media has really deteriorated to the point they've become a parody of themselves. It's a sad state for journalism these days and I'm hoping a few candidates can rise above it. I'd love to see Cruz smile more. We now he's a champion debater but not everybody votes for the debate captain, they want someone they connect with.

I think many among us here understand why all you have are empty words.
By "us," you mean you, and you clearly don't understand much. Haven't you noticed that you often say things along these lines and its extremely rare that anyone ever pipes up to support your claims? There's a reason for that. You probably don't understand that either . . .

Donald Trump can be the most charming of any of them but is constantly on the attack and that's all that's being aired. Nobody has distinguished themselves as the gentleman candidate who is above attacks on the other party or other candidates.

Trump's "charming" is of the used car salesman variety. You just can't escape the notion that, when he's doing that, it's far more about sweet-talking you into doing his bidding than anything having to do with genuine amiability, let alone anything that's in your best interest. Of course, I guess that doesn't really distinguish him from most conventional politicians -- or most salesmen, for that matter. Maybe it just seems so much more obviously feigned to me. But there are a whole lot of people buying what he's selling -- and it seems they don't even care what, exactly, he's selling.

There's a growing chorus of conservative writers (George Will and Michael Gerson are the latest) who are saying that Trump winning the Republican nomination would spell the end of the GOP as a viable, conservative political party. At first I thought that might be a little over the top, but I'm not so sure. He's not only broken just about every rule of high-stakes electoral politics, he's broken many of the rules of conservative orthodoxy -- and it doesn't seem to faze him a bit.

If he somehow manages to be elected, I think there would be a whole lot of very disappointed supporters who will have gotten something very different than what they thought they were bargaining for.

Last edited:
Have to generally concur. When I decided to switch from Democrat to Republican one of the things I really liked about my new party is was generally much more optimistic and positive than the Democratic party - especially during the Reagan/GWH Bush years
That's interesting. I switched my party affiliation for pretty much same reason, except in opposite direction.

Reactions: cosmickid
I don't live in Indiana, I live in a community where most of the republican candidates have come to speak. The news only plays sound bytes that fits their narrative, such as bytes of Bush responding about Trump, etc. I haven't seen a lot of uplifting speech between the candidates. Donald Trump can be the most charming of any of them but is constantly on the attack and that's all that's being aired. Nobody has distinguished themselves as the gentleman candidate who is above attacks on the other party or other candidates. I'd like to see some of them touting their "vision" for America and not take the media's bait.

The media has really deteriorated to the point they've become a parody of themselves. It's a sad state for journalism these days and I'm hoping a few candidates can rise above it. I'd love to see Cruz smile more. We now he's a champion debater but not everybody votes for the debate captain, they want someone they connect with.
Are their paid political ads on radio, television or internet site there?

The media's ONLY interest in the Republican Primary is to create as much disfavor toward the candidates as possible. To those guys a good fight amongst them is their aim.

He's toast. Trump is more than doubling the next candidate in the polls. After trump is Cruz (another nut). The primaries start in 30 days, I can't imagine Rubio, who's currently running in 4th, jumping into the lead. Trump and Cruz are tied in Iowa. Rubio is not even close.

It looks like Trump or Cruz is going to be your nominee unless something absolutely crazy happens. Either way paves the way for Hillary Clinton as our next POTUS.

Love the shirt in your avatar, Doug!
Thanks Doc. You're the first person to pick up on it (that's said something at any rate). Got it online. Google the text and I think you can find it.

So rather than show how my take is wrong you all double down on denial. Sounds about right, rather than face the truth about your party you make excuses and make rhetorical statements as that truly is all you have. Can't cite them after all that plays to my take on them given so many statements opposing voting rights, equal treatment, equality, civil rights....

In the meantime, in the bought and sold party...

Senator Tom Cotton Received Nearly $1M To Oppose Iran Nuclear Treaty
The group paid $960,250 to Cotton’s campaign, soon after which he lead the writing of an open-letter, signed by 47 Republicans, stating that a GOP White House would not adhere to any accords with Iran.

So rather than show how my take is wrong you all double down on denial. Sounds about right, rather than face the truth about your party you make excuses and make rhetorical statements as that truly is all you have. Can't cite them after all that plays to my take on them given so many statements opposing voting rights, equal treatment, equality, civil rights....

In the meantime, in the bought and sold party...

Senator Tom Cotton Received Nearly $1M To Oppose Iran Nuclear Treaty
The group paid $960,250 to Cotton’s campaign, soon after which he lead the writing of an open-letter, signed by 47 Republicans, stating that a GOP White House would not adhere to any accords with Iran.
You just doubled down with unsourced BS from a moonbat website. You should get out of the hole and stop digging.

Remember that you said:
You've still posted exactly nothing that credibly supports this silly assertion and you should notice that there are still exactly zero people that have piped up to support you on it. They're not going to jump in that hole and help you dig it deeper.

Reactions: MrBing
He's toast. Trump is more than doubling the next candidate in the polls. After trump is Cruz (another nut). The primaries start in 30 days, I can't imagine Rubio, who's currently running in 4th, jumping into the lead. Trump and Cruz are tied in Iowa. Rubio is not even close.

It looks like Trump or Cruz is going to be your nominee unless something absolutely crazy happens. Either way paves the way for Hillary Clinton as our next POTUS.

I can very easily see Rubio or Christie (who is gaining some momentum again) winning the GOP nod. 4th in Iowa is no big crater to dig out of. 4th in NH and SC are a completely different story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT