ADVERTISEMENT

Romeos choice should be easy.

All this campus/city/university comparison is getting a little like 'my dad can beat up your dad'. In my opinion the single most important factor in today's 5 star recruits minds is the coach. I'm not saying the other factors don;t come into play but players seem to go to universities to play for a coach. If Romeo made a strong connection with Drew and wants to go play for him, then he will do just that. The only one that knows the answer to that is Romeo. Bottom line Romeo is going to play for the coach for which Romeo wants to play. The only thing that means is he felt the strongest connection to the coach he chooses not that school A is greater than school B.

Or they may be discussing Bloomington's (4.2% black) and Nashville's (27% black) demographics relative to which place has the more comfortable, hipper vibe.

IU's student population is even less diverse than Bloomington at large with 3.9% black while Vanderbilt is 12.4%. Diversity is Vanderbilt's stated top priority (even more important than improving on its #7 academic ranking).

I'm not in any way alleging racism but only looking to demographics for a hint as to which choice is more welcoming to Romeo as a black athlete. Vanderbilt basketball is proud to have been the first SEC school to have a black basketball player in Perry Wallace. Maybe relative diversity isn't a factor ... but, of course, we don't know.

Or it's creepy to psychoanalysis what 17 year old kids are talking about. Let's allow the kid to commit to whichever school he chooses and wish him the best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Or they may be discussing Bloomington's (4.2% black) and Nashville's (27% black) demographics relative to which place has the more comfortable, hipper vibe.

IU's student population is even less diverse than Bloomington at large with 3.9% black while Vanderbilt is 12.4%. Diversity is Vanderbilt's stated top priority (even more important than improving on its #7 academic ranking).

I'm not in any way alleging racism but only looking to demographics for a hint as to which choice is more welcoming to Romeo as a black athlete. Vanderbilt basketball is proud to have been the first SEC school to have a black basketball player in Perry Wallace. Maybe relative diversity isn't a factor ... but, of course, we don't know.

Romeo grew up in New Albany. Pretty sure he is used to southern Indiana demographics. And I don’t get why a top basketball recruit would give a darn about some country music bars and a hockey team he has never rooted for. IU is known for having a thriving campus social scene. Also, Indiana had the first black basketball player in the Big Ten in Bill Garrett.

Been seeing a few different things going around the last 2 days from Southern Indiana saying rumors are that Romeo may be deciding sooner than later now and that his choice is IU. Cannot confirm this so don’t shoot the messenger, only relaying what I have been seeing.
There was a rumor going around on another board but now has been shot down that Romeo was going to commit on ESPN Friday after his game.

The myth that Cal can’t coach is created and spread by delusional fans who know nothing about basketball. Ask any expert on coaching and they’ll say Cal is one of the best in the business.

What he does with those players in only a few short months is pretty amazing. Getting them to buy into defense, passing, playing as a team, rebounding...that’s not just talent.

You don’t make 5 Final Fours in 8 years on talent alone. Cal is one of the best to ever do it in history...recruiting AND coaching. Any unbiased expert would tell you that.
Those same experts on ESPN also thinks that Crean is a great coach as well so your argument holds no water.

Reactions: mazz
The myth that Cal can’t coach is created and spread by delusional fans who know nothing about basketball. Ask any expert on coaching and they’ll say Cal is one of the best in the business.

What he does with those players in only a few short months is pretty amazing. Getting them to buy into defense, passing, playing as a team, rebounding...that’s not just talent.

You don’t make 5 Final Fours in 8 years on talent alone. Cal is one of the best to ever do it in history...recruiting AND coaching. Any unbiased expert would tell you that.

Cal has won at a crazy high level everywhere he has gone, including UMASS which was the lowest of the low.

So that's why I've never attacked his record, because I'm not sure what you can attack.

It's like those that rip on Wooden without understanding that he was freakishly good at Indiana State and when he took over UCLA they were a nobody...a hyphenated school.

He made them first a conference power then when he got those five stars, however he got those five stars, no one could touch him until he retired.

That being said... Calipari is not known to be a strong, tactical coach like a Bob Knight or Brad Stevens, but he can manage chemistry and typically coaches pretty tough defense.

Reactions: mazz and IUgradman
H

Dumb? He's way ahead of where Cal was at his age so there's that. We'll see!

Don't get me wrong, I like Archie. I'm just saying we should pump the brakes before we crown him king, and let it play out.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh

I'd be interested in your data source because 12.4% doesn't match what I see on US Dept of Ed source (around 7%). But..

Indiana University students comprise more than half the population of Bloomington. That means more than 45,000 peers to choose from to find hip things to do in a town built for catering to college kids.

Vanderbilt is tucked into an urban area with lots of big city things to do. My wife and I love weekend trips to Nashville. My kids...nah.

I grew up in New Albany and didn't give a hoot about downtown Louisville. I went to IU because it was the hip place around these parts. My kids see it the same now...it's just a really fun place to be for college age kids.

Romeo keeps things hush around here so who knows if demographics/diversity will play a part. New Albany folk tend to think of ourselves as more rural than urban in my opinion. I will be suprised if he chooses Vanderbilt for lots of reasons, but if he does I wouldn't point a finger at improper stuff.

All said...all the rumors I hear from locals are IU. But who knows.

I lived in Colombia TN. (a few miles south of Nashville), for several years & spent many weekends in Nashville partying.
There were lots of places to have fun (for a 30 year old, white, country boy). I don't recall seeing a lot more that would interest an 18 year old college kid than what you will find here in Bloomington.
Having said that, I am in the camp that thinks Langford will do whatever makes sense to him, no matter what makes sense to us.
Thank God I no longer see things the way an 18 year old sees them. :rolleyes:

Here's my source (it applies to the Fall 2017 freshman class):

https://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/profile/

Impressive gains in the incoming class. I say that sincerely. That is a credit to your university.

You do realize that 12.4% is about 200 students though right? It's much more difficult to do that for a student population near 50k. Especially when the university has satellite campuses in all of the states urban areas. So your comparison isn't really all that valuable. But once again, fine job by Vandy.

Reactions: mazz and KyDore
All this campus/city/university comparison is getting a little like 'my dad can beat up your dad'. In my opinion the single most important factor in today's 5 star recruits minds is the coach. I'm not saying the other factors don;t come into play but players seem to go to universities to play for a coach. If Romeo made a strong connection with Drew and wants to go play for him, then he will do just that. The only one that knows the answer to that is Romeo. Bottom line Romeo is going to play for the coach for which Romeo wants to play. The only thing that means is he felt the strongest connection to the coach he chooses not that school A is greater than school B.

According to the fine folks on GBI, this all comes down to dirty pool by Addidas and the two Addidas schools.

Those same experts on ESPN also thinks that Crean is a great coach as well so your argument holds no water.
None of them would ever put Crean or Archie in the same stratosphere as Cal. I can’t believe we’re even talking about this. It’s like saying Kirk Ferentz and Tom Herman are as good as Urban Meyer. Why? Just why?

You do realize that every time you venture to GBI, your IQ drops 3 or 4 points!!!

Lol, yes which is why I don't do it very often. They have a good team and yet the most popular threads when I went there were about IU. Good team or bad team their obsession with IU never changes.

Reactions: IUgradman
I never thought he was a great coach but I thought he was a good coach who was better than some of you gave him credit for. Like I have said I will back whoever the coach is as long as they don't cheat and do things the right way.
So what are your thoughts on Kenny Johnson being Crean’s lead recruiter? Landing players like Noah Vonleh. Just curious.

None of them would ever put Crean or Archie in the same stratosphere as Cal. I can’t believe we’re even talking about this. It’s like saying Kirk Ferentz and Tom Herman are as good as Urban Meyer. Why? Just why?
Nobody is saying that Archie is as good as Cal. We are saying that at this point we won't know until he gets his own players. Not saying he isn't a good coach but Cal has had an unbelievable amount of talent. The fact that he only has 1 national title in over 20 years coaching and that was with a generational talent like Anthony Davis, who is the better in game coach will be at least up for debate over the next few years once Archie puts together a more talented roster. Right now this Indiana team has one player that was ranked in the top 100 the rest are 3 stars and walk ons.

Nobody is saying that Archie is as good as Cal. We are saying that at this point we won't know until he gets his own players. Not saying he isn't a good coach but Cal has had an unbelievable amount of talent. The fact that he only has 1 national title in over 20 years coaching and that was with a generational talent like Anthony Davis, who is the better in game coach will be at least up for debate over the next few years once Archie puts together a more talented roster. Right now this Indiana team has one player that was ranked in the top 100 the rest are 3 stars and walk ons.
I get what you’re saying. And for the record, the only thing I care about is who the best all around coach is...which is majority recruiting. If you can’t recruit it doesn’t really matter how good of a game coach you are. You have to do both.

There’s a reason Saban has 6 titles...he gets the #1 class nearly every year. Recruiting is the name of the game. It’s not just being able to draw up a good out of bounds play a couple times per game.

Bob Knight has a great disdain for Cal. That is all i need to know. BK has inside info none of us have. And he always knew his facts before saying something. Cal will get his due.

So what are your thoughts on Kenny Johnson being Crean’s lead recruiter? Landing players like Noah Vonleh. Just curious.

For the love of god, Kenny Johnson was at IU TWO YEARS......2012-2014. Crean was here for NINE.

I have no idea why you are so fixated on Kenny Johnson and IU recruiting. You think you are pulling some ace up your sleeve when you bring it up in every thread.

Sigh.....

And you’ll say something like “two years makes it ok?”

Johnson would have been fired at UofL if he pulled the recruits he was getting st IU. lol

Reactions: mazz and IUgradman
College coaching is 90% recruiting man. This is very basic. If you don’t even know that, you don’t know much about college sports. Catch up.
You missed the point entirely again, but that's pretty par for the course. You state a stupid, indefensible opinion as fact (once again) then divert when called out (once again). What I know about basketball in general and coaching specifically compared to you is an ocean to a spit bubble. You are the epitome of the loud-mouth drunk at the end of the bar running his mouth all day long, pissed off at the world because everyone else in the place recognizes him for the fool he is.

Reactions: IU Scott and mazz
The problem with Vanderbilt cheating is that we’re talking about Romeo. Romeo is smart. He knows it would be better to wait to get $$$ in the NBA than to risk his career. We have no idea why he is considering Vanderbilt. To me, starting a new program that might (I doubt it will) become a Duke is very enticing. On top of that there are already 2 five star recruits going there.

I’d personally rather go to IU if I was Romeo. Nobody knows why someone is considering a school. I hope to god Vanderbilt isn’t cheating, or we have been wasting our time.

I do think it is a bit odd Drew begins pulling 5 stars left and right out of nowhere in the middle of a nowhere season while about to lose your nowhere starters.

Don't get me wrong, I like Archie. I'm just saying we should pump the brakes before we crown him king, and let it play out.
I've never crowned him anything, I
You seem to believe Cal invented basketball that's fine. You do realize he's landed his last 2 schools on probation as he slithered out of town? Don't be naive and think he didn't know drose cheated on the SAT, that would be exceptionally dumb. He's vacated more wins than any coach I can remember, so there's that as well. I personally don't think he's a good X and O's coach and word is neither does Romeo. Yes, he is a motivator but I'd prefer an X and O's coach at IU. That doesn't make me "dumb" or "delusional" ,but more of a basketball purist.

:)
Let’s put this to rest….comparing schools solely on head to head is dumb. IU has defeated UK 2 of the last 3 meetings but it’s not like we’re claiming to be UK basketball good. Let’s OBJECTIVELY compare programs…

Both started in 1901, so we can’t talk about one team having more time to accomplish anything.

Total wins: IU #11 overall (1,801) vs Vandy #48 (1,585)

Win percentage: IU (.639) vs Vandy (.585)

National Championships: IU (5) vs Vandy (0)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: IU (39) vs Vandy (15)

Last Tourny Bid: IU (2016) vs Vandy (2017)

Last Tourny Win: IU (2016) vs Vandy (2012)

Last Sweet 16 & Total: IU (2016, 22 overall) vs Vandy (2007, 6 overall)

Last Elite 8 & Total: IU (2002, 11) vs Vandy (1965, 1 overall)

Last Final 4 & Total: IU (2002, 8 overall) vs Vandy (0)

Last Naty Game & Total: IU (2002, 6 total) vs Vandy (Never)

Regular Season Conference Titles: IU (22) vs Vandy (3)

Last Regular Season Conference Title: IU (2016) vs Vandy (1993)

Last #1 AP Ranking: IU (2012) vs Vandy (Never)

Last Top Ten AP Ranking: IU (2016) vs Vandy (1992)

Last AP Ranking: IU (2017) vs Vandy (2016)

Most active NBA Players: IU (8) vs Vandy (3)

Total NBA players All Time: IU (63) vs Vandy (23)

Sounds to me like Vandy fans just don’t want to pay attention to the facts…

Well, you have pretty much left me speechless. I like facts. I now know more about IU BB than ever before.There's not enough ammo to counter your findings.I do appreciate the time you spent in order to post the facts. Impressive. All I can do is share a little insight into Vanderbilt BB program. First, I was going to reply to @TommyCracker. He had some worthwhile comments, but only have time for this extended essay.

Bryce Drew is different from his brother. that's common among brothers. Vanderbilt has a niche recruiting pool. Admissions for athletes is troublesome. They don't realize that excellence in athletics is complimentary to excellence in academics. To sell Vanderbilt you have to first ID recruits and their parents who appear serious about academics. All say they are, so you spend time courting kids & parents to see which ones stick. CBD catered to several top fifty recruits and ended up with 3 guys-DG, Simi, and Nesmith (4*,rivals #69). It is that simple. CBD is not dirty. He just aims high and hopefully connects with a few. Our previous coach lasted 17 yrs. and never really went hard after top 25 - 50 guys, with only a few exceptions.
Now, as fans, we are excited about the future.We have a common denominator in RL, so a few of us come to your site because it is relative to us.

Now, for the chips on my shoulder: We have a high school gym, a crazy arena, a weird gym. Actually we have a historic gym that seats just under 15,000. The coaching boxes were extended down the sideline since CBD's arrival. Most all analysts compliment the gym. That might be the result of regional coverage of sports. Sounds like you all might have the coolest new arena. That's great! We have the coolest, old gymnasium in the country. It's a great place to watch a game! We respect Memorial Gymnasium and those it honors.
Next,I mentioned regional coverage of sports. Some IU fans have said we don't get any tv coverage. The vast majority of our games are televised each year. So far this year we have been on CBS, CBS Sports network, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, SEC network and SEC alternet. I believe we get the same amount of coverage as Big 10.

Vandy had a historic BB program from the mid- 60's into the early 80's. If not for kentucky, our name would be more recognizable, IMO. Back then, most people only had knowledge as to their conference teams. Outside the SEC I remember UCLA and Houston in the 60's. During the 70's I remember IU, UCLA, Marquette, UNLV. After that came all the other blue-bloods that are household names today. In all, for SEC fans, I would guess the two most highly regarded teams historically would be UCLA and Kentucky (but Kentucky fans would list them in the wrong order) After that I think IU fans could best list the remainder. For younger folks, UCLA might be replaced by- pick your choice.:)

Gotta end this. I cherry picked some stats related to your last natty and Vanderbilt vs Indiana since the beginning of this century. My facts are true, but not whole. Still, I feel my facts carry a little weight, but not so much when compared to the "whole" facts I learned this evening from the post quoted above. Kudos to @HoosierDave09.

Final thought: From the mid-sixties to the early 80's, I attended BB games at a packed house of 15,000 inside Memorial Gymnasium when you could literally yell into the ear of the person next to you and they couldn't understand a word you said. There would be a big smile, a shaking of the head- no, along with a palms up posture indicating they had no clue as to what was said, then immediately back to both yelling as loud as possible. I think we have that in common. And I understand you guys had to shop for hearing aids at a younger age than us down in Nashville! Have a good evening.

:)

Well, you have pretty much left me speechless. I like facts. I now know more about IU BB than ever before.There's not enough ammo to counter your findings.I do appreciate the time you spent in order to post the facts. Impressive. All I can do is share a little insight into Vanderbilt BB program. First, I was going to reply to @TommyCracker. He had some worthwhile comments, but only have time for this extended essay.

Bryce Drew is different from his brother. that's common among brothers. Vanderbilt has a niche recruiting pool. Admissions for athletes is troublesome. They don't realize that excellence in athletics is complimentary to excellence in academics. To sell Vanderbilt you have to first ID recruits and their parents who appear serious about academics. All say they are, so you spend time courting kids & parents to see which ones stick. CBD catered to several top fifty recruits and ended up with 3 guys-DG, Simi, and Nesmith (4*,rivals #69). It is that simple. CBD is not dirty. He just aims high and hopefully connects with a few. Our previous coach lasted 17 yrs. and never really went hard after top 25 - 50 guys, with only a few exceptions.
Now, as fans, we are excited about the future.We have a common denominator in RL, so a few of us come to your site because it is relative to us.

Now, for the chips on my shoulder: We have a high school gym, a crazy arena, a weird gym. Actually we have a historic gym that seats just under 15,000. The coaching boxes were extended down the sideline since CBD's arrival. Most all analysts compliment the gym. That might be the result of regional coverage of sports. Sounds like you all might have the coolest new arena. That's great! We have the coolest, old gymnasium in the country. It's a great place to watch a game! We respect Memorial Gymnasium and those it honors.
Next,I mentioned regional coverage of sports. Some IU fans have said we don't get any tv coverage. The vast majority of our games are televised each year. So far this year we have been on CBS, CBS Sports network, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, SEC network and SEC alternet. I believe we get the same amount of coverage as Big 10.

Vandy had a historic BB program from the mid- 60's into the early 80's. If not for kentucky, our name would be more recognizable, IMO. Back then, most people only had knowledge as to their conference teams. Outside the SEC I remember UCLA and Houston in the 60's. During the 70's I remember IU, UCLA, Marquette, UNLV. After that came all the other blue-bloods that are household names today. In all, for SEC fans, I would guess the two most highly regarded teams historically would be UCLA and Kentucky (but Kentucky fans would list them in the wrong order) After that I think IU fans could best list the remainder. For younger folks, UCLA might be replaced by- pick your choice.:)

Gotta end this. I cherry picked some stats related to your last natty and Vanderbilt vs Indiana since the beginning of this century. My facts are true, but not whole. Still, I feel my facts carry a little weight, but not so much when compared to the "whole" facts I learned this evening from the post quoted above. Kudos to @HoosierDave09.

Final thought: From the mid-sixties to the early 80's, I attended BB games at a packed house of 15,000 inside Memorial Gymnasium when you could literally yell into the ear of the person next to you and they couldn't understand a word you said. There would be a big smile, a shaking of the head- no, along with a palms up posture indicating they had no clue as to what was said, then immediately back to both yelling as loud as possible. I think we have that in common. And I understand you guys had to shop for hearing aids at a younger age than us down in Nashville! Have a good evening.
Man, you lost me when you said you have the best historic arena in the country. LMAO!!!! Have a good day, don't hold your breath trying to be Duke. If Drew is that good he's gone in 5 yrs or less.

Romeo grew up in New Albany. Pretty sure he is used to southern Indiana demographics. And I don’t get why a top basketball recruit would give a darn about some country music bars and a hockey team he has never rooted for. IU is known for having a thriving campus social scene. Also, Indiana had the first black basketball player in the Big Ten in Bill Garrett.

Seriously? I'm looking at that Vanderbilt recruiting class and seeing that he would fit right in and be in excellent company for a one year run.
The same is true at IU except I'm guessing that a Garland plus Romeo duo would be something a kid might consider a tilting factor.

I'd like to see the kid at IU but it is only a year, I'm not that concerned about it.

Seriously? I'm looking at that Vanderbilt recruiting class and seeing that he would fit right in and be in excellent company for a one year run.
The same is true at IU except I'm guessing that a Garland plus Romeo duo would be something a kid might consider a tilting factor.

I'd like to see the kid at IU but it is only a year, I'm not that concerned about it.
I disagree because even with those two 5 star players I think IU's roster next year is better.

Reactions: gmcmino and mazz

It is more likely that he is a two year player. He is not the usual top ten recruit.

I lived in Colombia TN. (a few miles south of Nashville), for several years & spent many weekends in Nashville partying.
There were lots of places to have fun (for a 30 year old, white, country boy). I don't recall seeing a lot more that would interest an 18 year old college kid than what you will find here in Bloomington.
Having said that, I am in the camp that thinks Langford will do whatever makes sense to him, no matter what makes sense to us.
Thank God I no longer see things the way an 18 year old sees them. :rolleyes:

We have all been to the bars in Nashville and they are fun even for those of us who are not big country music fans. Tons of talent down there. Very touristy.

I used to be on the VU campus five times a year staying at the Marriott next to the football stadium (used to be a Holiday Inn). Nice little campus and the Centennial park across West End is nice.

I wouldn't exactly tie the two together in the same way Btown is structured. That said, it is unlikely that a top recruit is going to make a decision based on the social scene.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
We have all been to the bars in Nashville and they are fun even for those of us who are not big country music fans. Tons of talent down there. Very touristy.

I used to be on the VU campus five times a year staying at the Marriott next to the football stadium (used to be a Holiday Inn). Nice little campus and the Centennial park across West End is nice.

I wouldn't exactly tie the two together in the same way Btown is structured. That said, it is unlikely that a top recruit is going to make a decision based on the social scene.

I would just add this fact to the discussion. Few, if any cities, have changed more in the last twenty years than Nashville. I remember the Nashville of the ‘70’s centered on the downtown Ryman and little else. I remember the mid ‘90’s when my employer instructed me to seek out a new location for his business. It had become a business and entertainment Mecca and was building a new downtown arena in hopes of landing a professional hockey team. I discovered the deep pocketed resources of the only city in the old south not destroyed by the Civil War. We decided to move the business and it’s presence has been credited with moving Nashville to the forefront of emerging metropolitan areas in the United States. Corporate HQ’s like Nissan and others relocated to the mid south’s most dynamic city. There are as many creeper cranes operating in downtown Nashville as any city in the country. More than thirty new hotels and one hundred restaurants will open in the next 12 months. If you went there 5, 10, 25, 30 years ago it would be increasingly difficult to recognize the city the longer it has been since you visited. Not interested in the recruitment, but as someone who follows Nashville and once lived there I wanted to set the record straight. Btw, Vanderbilt hired Hoosier women’s basketball legend and pays her almost $1 million a year to build a competitive SEC Wbb program.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/op...e-really-moving-nashville-every-day/83100468/

I would just add this fact to the discussion. Few, if any cities, have changed more in the last twenty years than Nashville. I remember the Nashville of the ‘70’s centered on the downtown Ryman and little else. I remember the mid ‘90’s when my employer instructed me to seek out a new location for his business. It had become a business and entertainment Mecca and was building a new downtown arena in hopes of landing a professional hockey team. I discovered the deep pocketed resources of the only city in the old south not destroyed by the Civil War. We decided to move the business and it’s presence has been credited with moving Nashville to the forefront of emerging metropolitan areas in the United States. Corporate HQ’s like Nissan and others relocated to the mid south’s most dynamic city. There are as many creeper cranes operating in downtown Nashville as any city in the country. More than thirty new hotels and one hundred restaurants will open in the next 12 months. If you went there 5, 10, 25, 30 years ago it would be increasingly difficult to recognize the city the longer it has been since you visited. Not interested in the recruitment, but as someone who follows Nashville and once lived there I wanted to set the record straight. Btw, Vanderbilt hired Hoosier women’s basketball legend and pays her almost $1 million a year to build a competitive SEC Wbb program.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/op...e-really-moving-nashville-every-day/83100468/

I only get there once a year or so, but I do enjoy the city and you are right, it has continued to change and upgrade.

And what has Drew ever done to show he can coach at a high level or manage such talent? Garland is a ball dominant point guard and is going to want to get his every night. Phinisee will defer to Romeo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT