ADVERTISEMENT

Romeos choice should be easy.

All good points. But, does IU offer Romeo a 5* PF (Shittu) to occupy the defense and a 5* PG to dish him (Romeo) the rock? With Nesmith (versatile shooter) and Lee, Vandy could go small and very, very fast and provide the perfect canvas for Romeo to display his art (and score big). It's really not an unattractive opportunity. But, again this thread is about whether is is an "easy choice" to choose IU and I think that reasonable folks would say that it isn't an easy choice. Vandy has a group of talented and versatile pieces and can offer Romeo great space since defenses have two other 5*s to guard.

No, we have a proven interior scorer in Morgan, who is also an early leader for B10 POY honors next year! And we have a solid 4 star PG recruit who he's known for years. It's a very unique situation, and one I hope the IU coaching staff is exploiting to it's maximum benefit!

Reactions: IUgradman
All good points. But, does IU offer Romeo a 5* PF (Shittu) to occupy the defense and a 5* PG to dish him (Romeo) the rock? With Nesmith (versatile shooter) and Lee, Vandy could go small and very, very fast and provide the perfect canvas for Romeo to display his art (and score big). It's really not an unattractive opportunity. But, again this thread is about whether is is an "easy choice" to choose IU and I think that reasonable folks would say that it isn't an easy choice. Vandy has a group of talented and versatile pieces and can offer Romeo great space since defenses have two other 5*s to guard.
What IU does have is a versatile 4 year PF who is our leading scorer and rebounder this year.

Don't forget everyone here also thinks we have a top 5 recruiting class but it barely is top 25. The ignorance on here is alarming. I doubt we have any player on our roster that could play for Duke but Archie has done an awesome job with our talent level we have right now.
Have you watched Duke much because they are playing 6 players so I would think guys like Morgan and Johnson would get playing time for them

Don't forget everyone here also thinks we have a top 5 recruiting class but it barely is top 25. The ignorance on here is alarming. I doubt we have any player on our roster that could play for Duke but Archie has done an awesome job with our talent level we have right now.

I've not heard anyone say that. I think at one point it was top 5 before all the commitments started coming in in the fall, but I think that's a foolish statement and I read this board almost daily. It is a solid class considering it's AMs first however and I have heard many say that, and I agree with that.

I am afraid the lack of a commitment is telling as well. He is loved in Indiana and followed my thousands of fans and in my estimation knows what would happen his senior year if he committed to Vandy. I have felt for some time he is Vandy bound. Think of the chants and negativity he would endure vs how much love he could have received had he done this before his senior season.My common sense tells me he is not coming to IU.

This doesn't bother me as much as much as it normally would, considering Archie Miller hadn't coached a game at IU before this year. I doubt Langford would commit without at least seeing how IU played, and how Archie coached in games. We have no idea if the Langford's had even seen Archie on TV before this year. I honestly don't think Langford has decided, because he wants to see how IU's season is going. He may very well be watching Vanderbilt's season as well. If he has, well, it seems pretty clear who's better this year, and IU's stock is rising.

This doesn't bother me as much as much as it normally would, considering Archie Miller hadn't coached a game at IU before this year. I doubt Langford would commit without at least seeing how IU played, and how Archie coached in games. We have no idea if the Langford's had even seen Archie on TV before this year. I honestly don't think Langford has decided, because he wants to see how IU's season is going. He may very well be watching Vanderbilt's season as well. If he has, well, it seems pretty clear who's better this year, and IU's stock is rising.

I agree with what you are saying. But if I needed to evaluate a new coach, it would not be with just his first year at a program. I would be watching tapes of Dayton and Valpo to see how these guys use guards in their systems. I know he made it to the Northwestern game but I doubt he is dissecting IU, vandy and Kansas basketball while going to school, doing homework and practicing/playing basketball. My kids don't have near the talent as Romeo or future prospect but when their sport is in season, they barely have time to sleep.
Coach Drew took a team that was destroyed in the play-in game the previous year, lost 2 NBA draft talent players and took Vandy to a heartbeat from the second round. This year, I think he is coaching his style with Stallings' recruits. Add to that a brutal OOC schedule and starting the season with Florida, Tenn and UK in conference and our record is not good. Indiana does look improved but let's revisit this after their next 6 games.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
Archie took over a team that went 18-16 the year before and lost its three best players, two of whom were drafted into the NBA. He put together a good recruiting class that consists of five four star players and his team is currently sitting in fourth place in the Big Ten while showing signs of improvement despite losing its best post player to a season ending injury. Archie’s record at Dayton far surpassed anything Drew did at Valpo. And I can guarantee you Archie won’t be 6-11 at IU in his second season.

I am afraid the lack of a commitment is telling as well. He is loved in Indiana and followed my thousands of fans and in my estimation knows what would happen his senior year if he committed to Vandy. I have felt for some time he is Vandy bound. Think of the chants and negativity he would endure vs how much love he could have received had he done this before his senior season.My common sense tells me he is not coming to IU.
TRANSLATION:

IUBBALLAWOL doesn’t know. (None of the rest of us know either.)

James Blackmon said something like he didn’t know for sure he was picking IU until he reached for the IU baseball cap at his announcement ceremony. I suspect many recruits are in the same boat.

Archie took over a team that went 18-16 the year before and lost its three best players, two of whom were drafted into the NBA. He put together a good recruiting class that consists of five four star players and his team is currently sitting in fourth place in the Big Ten while showing signs of improvement despite losing its best post player to a season ending injury. Archie’s record at Dayton far surpassed anything Drew did at Valpo. And I can guarantee you Archie won’t be 6-11 at IU in his second season.

I posted this a while back but I am game to try this debate again:

Archie was Dayton coach from 2011-2017. In conference the Flyers finished 5th, 11th, T-5th, T-2nd, T-1st and 1st. His overall record was 139-63 (.687). Bryce was at Valpo from 2011-2016. His conference finish was 1st, 1st, 4th, 1st, 1st. Overall record of 124-49 (.717). Archie did have the one run to the elite eight which was very impressive but besides that, their tourney record was very similar:
CBD: NIT 1st rnd, NCAA 2nd rnd, NCAA 2nd rnd and NIT runner up
CAM: NIT 1st rnd, NCAA Elite eight, NCAA 2nd rnd, NCAA 1st rnd, NCAA 1st rnd.
I would not say Archie "Far Surpasses" Bryce. Archie was in a better conference that could recruit a higher level player. I would say they are pretty comparable to this point in time. Archie would maybe have a slight edge.

Archie was Dayton coach from 2011-2017. In conference the Flyers finished 5th, 11th, T-5th, T-2nd, T-1st and 1st. His overall record was 139-63 (.687). Bryce was at Valpo from 2011-2016. His conference finish was 1st, 1st, 4th, 1st, 1st. Overall record of 124-49 (.717). Archie did have the one run to the elite eight which was very impressive but besides that, their tourney record was very similar:
I would not say Archie "Far Surpasses" Bryce. Archie was in a better conference that could recruit a higher level player. I would say they are pretty comparable to this point in time. Archie would maybe have a slight edge.
Dayton's conference was far superior than Valpo's conference

Dayton's conference was far superior than Valpo's conference

Yes. I said that in my post. You also realize valpo recruits to the talent level of it's conference and Dayton recruits to the talent level of it's conference. Dayton will get better players than Valpo but not better then all it's conference foes. Therefore, they only way to judge coaches in different conferences would be to evaluate there conference results. Not a perfect way but I don't know how else you would do it.

Please don't try again....just let it go, please? It didn't work last time, it's not going to work this time....I thought you went away. Ugh

Yes. I said that in my post. You also realize valpo recruits to the talent level of it's conference and Dayton recruits to the talent level of it's conference. Dayton will get better players than Valpo but not better then all it's conference foes. Therefore, they only way to judge coaches in different conferences would be to evaluate there conference results. Not a perfect way but I don't know how else you would do it.

It took Archie a few seasons to land A10 Caliber players.

Every service I’ver seen has IU class top 20. With Romeo top 15 and maybe top 10.

Rivals has it 14th right now, without Romeo.

“Barely top 25”?

Archie is at IU, Bryce is at Vandy lol. Enough said.

Joining two other 5* freshman along with a high 4* may, at least arguably, have appeal. And, of course, Nashville > Bloomington (not that Bloomington isn’t a nice college town). Vandy’s best player, Saben Lee, is now a freshman.

I hear that IU and Vandy are the leaders. It strikes me as a function of whether Romeo prefers to “stay home” and really wants to have a rabid fan base all up in every breath he takes.
True, and if he goes to Vandy he'll actually be on national TV, twice, when Vandy plays Kentucky, and that NIT regional MVP trophy will be a source of pride for him and his family for generations..

Archie is at IU, Bryce is at Vandy lol. Enough said.

You’re right, can’t argue that logic. I mean, look at the last 3 IU coaches. Head and shoulders above all others.

True, and if he goes to Vandy he'll actually be on national TV, twice, when Vandy plays Kentucky, and that NIT regional MVP trophy will be a source of pride for him and his family for generations..

That’s funny too. TV coverage follows talent and interest.

Never mind, many of you are not open to a discussion that doesn’t end with everyone agreeing IU is the top program in the nation and some kids may choose to go elsewhere without something shady going on. Good luck with the Romeo lottery. You will need him more

IU offers a senior in Juwan Morgan who is better than a 5 star freshman!

Last edited:
You’re right, can’t argue that logic. I mean, look at the last 3 IU coaches. Head and shoulders above all others.

Never mind, many of you are not open to a discussion that doesn’t end with everyone agreeing IU is the top program in the nation and some kids may choose to go elsewhere without something shady going on. Good luck with the Romeo lottery. You will need him more

What is your goal here? To convince us Bryce is better? That Romeo is going to Vandy? That Vandy is going to be better? That Vandy is a decent program? Go convince the other 4 Vandy b-ball fans...

Maybe the young man wants to get away from the spotlight for a year before he goes pro. I don't knohttps://goo.gl/images/Cjiorn him so I can't speak for him...I wish him the best.

With Langford, Vandy would have three 5* freshman and one high 4* freshman plus a very good 4* sophomore Saben Lee. And, you really think that wouldn't make "make much difference" just because of this year's record?

There typically is a big difference between the impact expected to be created by a 5* vs. a 4*. Vandy would have three instant-impact freshman whereas IU is hoping that they'll have one in Langford.
Calipari has taken 5+ five stars to the NIT so it takes more than 5 star freshman to win. He needed more experience to win the only title he has won.

A senior Morgan is better than either one, and Garland will shoot it as much as he will dish it so there's that as well. Hunter will provide plenty of support as well and a sophmore Smith gives IU plenty of ability to run.

936full-aryka-lynne.jpg

^^^Maybe this should have gone in the cheerleaders thread? Not that I am complaining LOL.

I agree with what you are saying. But if I needed to evaluate a new coach, it would not be with just his first year at a program. I would be watching tapes of Dayton and Valpo to see how these guys use guards in their systems. I know he made it to the Northwestern game but I doubt he is dissecting IU, vandy and Kansas basketball while going to school, doing homework and practicing/playing basketball. My kids don't have near the talent as Romeo or future prospect but when their sport is in season, they barely have time to sleep.
Coach Drew took a team that was destroyed in the play-in game the previous year, lost 2 NBA draft talent players and took Vandy to a heartbeat from the second round. This year, I think he is coaching his style with Stallings' recruits. Add to that a brutal OOC schedule and starting the season with Florida, Tenn and UK in conference and our record is not good. Indiana does look improved but let's revisit this after their next 6 games.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. He barely has time to sleep, but he has time make a 4-hour round trip car ride to go watch a mid-season conference game between two probable non-NCAA teams, even though he's already decided he isn't going to either one of those schools. Sure, makes total sense.

Watching tape to see how Archie used whatever 2 and 3 star guards he had at Akron isn't going to tell Romeo much...because Romeo is not a 2 or 3 star guard with Akron level talent. Plus, you see things live that you don't pick up on tape...and things you aren't going to see in tape of other teams, like the demeanor and attitude of your possible future teammates.

Reactions: mazz and IUgradman
Very little fan base, playing in a high school gym, coache's current team struggling to a 6 and 11 record, no former or even recent history, and all of the sudden outrecruiting Kentucky and Duke something doesn't add up.

In fairness, it's only a high school gym in Indiana. It's amazing what passes for a HS gym in other parts of the country! When I first got to Charlotte, I went to watch the defending 4A state champ school which was nearby, and interestingly coached by a Hoosier. I got to the game, and was wondering why they were playing in their practice gym. It wasn't their practice gym. Fans were packed on all 5 rows of bleachers and walking on the court during the game to get around the coaches.

Reactions: mazz
I've not heard anyone say that. I think at one point it was top 5 before all the commitments started coming in in the fall, but I think that's a foolish statement and I read this board almost daily. It is a solid class considering it's AMs first however and I have heard many say that, and I agree with that.

Every service I’ver seen has IU class top 20. With Romeo top 15 and maybe top 10.

Rivals has it 14th right now, without Romeo.

“Barely top 25”?
The class moved up with the latest rankings. Sorry but with the history of our storied program and having the talent in our back yard I expect top 10 recruiting classes every year. All other great programs get top 10 classes every year. Why can't we?

In a few months At IU Archie already put that class together. Some people will never be happy.
If we land Romeo I will shut my mouth. But IU has great facilities and one of the top recruiting budgets so it is not all Archie. Even Crean landed decent talent. But now that Archie has shown that he can coach here the top recruits should be lining up soon Go hoosiers!

I think by the end of the season, Lee will be the best player on Vandy's team. Willis may be pushing for the second best. Baptiste is getting better as center. I like the seniors. They have given a lot to Vandy but there is nothing special about any of them. So Vandy will have experienced PGs in sophomore Lee and junior Willis, and experienced senior center in Baptiste, an NBA ready PF in Shittu, a 5* PG in Garland, a high 4* SF in Nesmith coming in. Vandy also has a 4* PF who will be a junior. With all the younger talent, they might not come together in time but that is a well rounded, solid lineup. I don't think it is NC caliber but it will be every bit as good as what IU would be putting on the floor, probably better.

I don't know why Langford would not commit to IU before the HS season or during it. To have a rabid fan base coming to many of your games to cheer you on. Hoping you break Bailey's HS scoring record just to follow him to IU. It would be a no brainer for any kid. The fact that he has put off his decision speaks more to me than anything he has done so far because going somewhere else would put a ton of negativity on him for the year.
You think he wants to see how the new coach runs the program???

You seem really concerned he's not going to your beloved Vandy. Want to bet which coach, between Archie and Drew, is still at their current program in 7 yrs? Vandy's a stepping stone program in bball not a destination job. Go back to your Vandy board your bball program will NEVER win a Nat'l title.

The class moved up with the latest rankings. Sorry but with the history of our storied program and having the talent in our back yard I expect top 10 recruiting classes every year. All other great programs get top 10 classes every year. Why can't we?
It's his first year here!!! Maybe you don't understand how this works.

Reactions: kkott
It's his first year here!!! Maybe you don't understand how this works.
I perfectly understand how it works. I was simply saying that most on here think we have a bunch of blue chip recruits coming but in reality we have just a bunch of roll players coming. But the good news is Archie can win games without blue chips.
Go Hoosiers!

I perfectly understand how it works. I was simply saying that most on here think we have a bunch of blue chip recruits coming but in reality we have just a bunch of roll players coming. But the good news is Archie can win games without blue chips.
Go Hoosiers!
Well that's not the case either because Hunter is no role player. I agree Archie is great hire!

Well that's not the case either because Hunter is no role player. I agree Archie is great hire!
Hunter is ranked #50 on rivals which usually means impact player but not a star player. I am pulling. for him to but I am not over hyping him like he is Cody Zeller or something.

Hunter is ranked #50 on rivals which usually means impact player but not a star player. I am pulling. for him to but I am not over hyping him like he is Cody Zeller or something.
I get it you are a slave to the rankings. I try to watch the player play and check out their stats and who they play against and then form an opinion. We'll see I guess, but he has outplayed Bazley already this year and he's ranked well above him. Davis was like #31 or something and we see how he's worked out this far.

ADVERTISEMENT