ADVERTISEMENT

Selection Sunday

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
1. I forgot it was even on today.
2. Purdue got in incredibly easy path.
3. Partial thanks to Woody and IU for sucking…The Players Championship was enjoyable today. Getting me pumped for Masters. Sheffler is becoming Tiger-esque. And an awesome dude to root for.
4. Man, that show is so boring when IU isn’t involved.

Scheffler is on an all-time run. Best thing going in golf — takes the sting out of the LIV split. I don’t know how he shuffles his feet on his downswing…

Last edited:
3. Partial thanks to Woody and IU for sucking…The Players Championship was enjoyable today. Getting me pumped for Masters. Sheffler is becoming Tiger-esque. And an awesome dude to root for.
Purdue got the toughest region bro

In my Opinion..... it's time to retire the "MARCH MADNESS" moto and come up with a new one.

How many years have they had that Motto??? Wikipedia say's 2016 is when they branded the
NCAA March Madness Logo. But didn't they call is March Madness a lot earlier than that?

Whatever.... it's time for a Change!!!!!!!

Eye roll In my Opinion..... it's time to retire the "MARCH MADNESS" moto and come up with a new one.

How many years have they had that Motto??? Wikipedia say's 2016 is when they branded the
NCAA March Madness Logo. But didn't they call is March Madness a lot earlier than that?

Ashley Olsen Eye Roll GIF by Filmeditor

Reactions: Tscurlo
In my Opinion..... it's time to retire the "MARCH MADNESS" moto and come up with a new one.

Good thing for them no one is upset about “madness” being upsetting to some folks.

• Haha
Reactions: CriticArisen

I believe the “March Madness” name was from the Illinois state HS basketball tournament and the networks or the NCAA adopted it - it was in the mid 1980’s when all this happened, I think.

It's March and I'm mad.....mad as hell

at a 19-14 record, blown out countless times, no tourney invite and not one damn recruit coming, etc.

no.......march madness will do just fine

Scheffler is on an all-time run. Best thing going in golf — takes the sting out of the LIV split. I don’t know how he shuffles his feet on his downswing…
Swings so hard his back foot almost comes out of his shoe. Helluva round today. 64 on Sunday, no bogies. He’s all business out there. And grew the Rahm beard. Masters should be a great event. Would love to see SS Rahm and Brooks in the same pairing on Thurs/Fri. Would lead to interesting conversations.

I believe the “March Madness” name was from the Illinois state HS basketball tournament and the networks or the NCAA adopted it - it was in the mid 1980’s when all this happened, I think.
sounds about right to me ... early/mid '80s sometime, maybe exactly 85, the Villanova year

What needs to change is the biased figures used to determine seeding. Sycamores are a great story and deserve a bid but none of the experts even discuss because the NCAA seeding is so ridiculous against mid-majors.

Reactions: Tscurlo and Zeester

Yep, totally sucks where IU isn’t in the field. It’s one of the best weekends of the year when your team is actually playing for something.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
5, 10, 15 and 21.

How does that compare to the other regions?
Utah St/TCU vs the other 8/9's they could have played...

-Texas AM, FAU, Miss St...All 3 of those teams are better and/or more dangerous for Purdue than who they drew. The other 8/9's were B10 teams...but it is worth noting two of them beat Purdue already this year.

Kansas/Gonzaga/McNeese vs. the other 4/5/12 seeds they could have played...

-Duke, Wisconsin, James Madison, Alabama, St Marys, Grand Canyon, Auburn, SDSU, UAB...Wisconsin just beat Purdue, despite the B10 refs doing their damndest to stop them. Alabama and Auburn are the exact types of high level teams that I think Purdue would struggle the most with. SDSU went to the final game last year. And JMU is probably the best low major team in the tournament. Kansas is a shell of itself, the weakest of the 4 seeds, by far. They probably won't even make it to Purdue game. Gonzaga was a bubble team for most of the season. McNeese is probably the best of these teams.

Tennessee/Creighton/South Carolina...vs the other 2/3/6 seeds they could have played...

-Arizona, Baylor, Clemson, Iowa State, Illinois, BYU, Marquette, Kentucky, Texas Tech...Arizona is the best 2 seed, many people have them as the favorites in that region. Iowa State just beat Houston by 30. Kentucky would be a nightmare matchup for Purdue. Illinois just won the B10 tourney. There aren't any easy matchups in the Elite 8, and none of their own potential matchups will be easy. But they already beat Tennessee, and neither Creighton or South Carolina are the type of fast/athletic/guard oriented team that is a matchup problem for them.

You could go through and hand pick teams from these seeding pools, to create the easiest possible path for Purdue, regardless of NET rankings or overall rankings that they showed, and I'm not sure you could come up with an easier path. MAYBE substitute Tennessee for Marquette, but that's about it.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

-Texas AM, FAU, Miss St...All 3 of those teams are better and/or more dangerous for Purdue than who they drew. The other 8/9's were B10 teams...but it is worth noting two of them beat Purdue already this year.

-Duke, Wisconsin, James Madison, Alabama, St Marys, Grand Canyon, Auburn, SDSU, UAB...Wisconsin just beat Purdue, despite the B10 refs doing their damndest to stop them. Alabama and Auburn are the exact types of high level teams that I think Purdue would struggle the most with. SDSU went to the final game last year. And JMU is probably the best low major team in the tournament. Kansas is a shell of itself, the weakest of the 4 seeds, by far. They probably won't even make it to Purdue game. Gonzaga was a bubble team for most of the season. McNeese is probably the best of these teams.

Tennessee/Creighton/South Carolina...vs the other 2/3/6 seeds they could have played...

-Arizona, Baylor, Clemson, Iowa State, Illinois, BYU, Marquette, Kentucky, Texas Tech...Arizona is the best 2 seed, many people have them as the favorites in that region. Iowa State just beat Houston by 30. Kentucky would be a nightmare matchup for Purdue. Illinois just won the B10 tourney. There aren't any easy matchups in the Elite 8, and none of their own potential matchups will be easy. But they already beat Tennessee, and neither Creighton or South Carolina are the type of fast/athletic/guard oriented team that is a matchup problem for them.

You could go through and hand pick teams from these seeding pools, to create the easiest possible path for Purdue, regardless of NET rankings or overall rankings that they showed, and I'm not sure you could come up with an easier path. MAYBE substitute Tennessee for Marquette, but that's about it.
If TCU gets past Utah St, then I think we see Purdue fall before the Sweet Sixteen once again.

I've seen a ton of talking heads opinions that agree with me...and a ton that don't.

If TCU gets past Utah St, then I think we see Purdue fall before the Sweet Sixteen once again.

I've seen a ton of talking heads opinions that agree with me...and a ton that don't.
Could be...hope so! But if they had to play Texas A&M, FAU, or Mississippi State...I'd actually think its likely to happen. Now, I'm just hopeful.

Scheffler beat them only being healthy for two rounds. When he makes a few putts it’s not a fair fight.

Wyndham Clark is excellent and is going to be a problem all year.

Hovland switching coaches was extremely silly. Once he finds it (I thought it would be this week) those three are going to have some big battles this season

Reactions: kkott

Funny you forgot to mention that Purdue has already beat Arizona, Alabama, Marquette, Wisconsin 2 out of 3, Illinois twice, Gonzaga and you did say they Purdue beat Tennessee! Yeah Purdue lost 4 games to BT teams, two of those in OT. And of course all of the teams above have slow/unathletic/ guard oriented teams that Purdue can match with???????? Of course none of matchups will be easy, that's what makes the tournament so great! The one thing you did not mention, is that match-up problem all teams have with the BIG MAPLE! I also almost mentioned about smoking some other team twice, but they don't matter anymore!

Reactions: PurdueSteve
I saw an interesting stat. NW and FAU both are top 2 in beating team % in the top 25. NW is 62% and FAU is 58% in punching above their rank. That’s a 2 year stat. Supposedly.

Funny you forgot to mention that Purdue has already beat Arizona, Alabama, Marquette, Wisconsin 2 out of 3, Illinois twice, Gonzaga and you did say they Purdue beat Tennessee! Yeah Purdue lost 4 games to BT teams, two of those in OT. And of course all of the teams above have slow/unathletic/ guard oriented teams that Purdue can match with???????? Of course none of matchups will be easy, that's what makes the tournament so great! The one thing you did not mention, is that match-up problem all teams have with the BIG MAPLE! I also almost mentioned about smoking some other team twice, but they don't matter anymore!
You also forgot to mention that your big LUNA may not get to run over someone and not get called for a foul. I predict an early exit. But I give you credit, you at least made the dance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT