ADVERTISEMENT

Romeos choice should be easy.

Someone forgot to tell the IndyStar that Romeo had already won their award. At least they didn't know it two months ago according to this article:

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...etball-all-eyes-now-romeo-langford/859224001/

Either you're really bad at trolling or you're just not that bright. Romeo is having an historic career in Indiana and has a chance to break Damon Bailey's all time HS scoring record. They even chart his progress in that same paper. There is nobody in Indiana, and no disrespect to Phinissee or Anderson, that has a chance at winning Mr. Basketball over Romeo. Nobody. He's had it wrapped up for a very long time. Where he goes to college will have no bearing on whether or not he wins as well. Hell, he could get hurt and not finish the season and he'd still win it going away.

Reactions: IUgradman
All I said was that 2 5 star players are going to Vandy. One of them is pressing Romeo hard to join him. Through the eyes of an 18 year old kid that might seem very enticing.
And yes, you're right. Purdue fans know very little about having 5 star players.
No disrespect intended. Just giving an opinion.
It's not if you can land a 5* but what can you do with that 5*. How many 5* have landed at IU in the last 10 yrs.? How many did IU improve his stock? 5* means nothing if you don't win or at least improve that players NBA stock.

You don't agree that talent level will vary from conference to conference but teams in the same conference will have a similar roster? There will be some variance from top to bottom but the guys from the middle to the top will be similar. If that is not true, you would see some 5* players in the Sun Belt conference. The stars decrease as the conference standing decreases. I'm not sure if I am explaining this properly though because I don't see what is not obvious with the statement I made and you highlighted.

You don't agree that talent level will vary from conference to conference but teams in the same conference will have a similar roster? There will be some variance from top to bottom but the guys from the middle to the top will be similar. If that is not true, you would see some 5* players in the Sun Belt conference. The stars decrease as the conference standing decreases. I'm not sure if I am explaining this properly though because I don't see what is not obvious with the statement I made and you highlighted.

You stated this:

Yes. I said that in my post. You also realize valpo recruits to the talent level of it's conference and Dayton recruits to the talent level of it's conference. Dayton will get better players than Valpo .

So just how did you determine Dayton got players better than Valpo - just because they're in the Atlantic 10 and Valpo was in the Horizon?

You do realize Butler was in the Horizon once, right? And they recruited guys like Matt Howard, Shelvin Mack, Gordon Hayward. You do realize that, right?

That doesn't mean Dayton DIDN'T have better players than Valpo during the time each coach was at their respective school; they might have. But you haven't provided anything to substantiate such claims. All you've done is make a broad generalization, which - as I showed with Butler - doesn't mean it to ALWAYS be the case.

You made the statement. Provide a link to base that on - or just admit you don't really know. Because you don't.

Eric Bossi says he leans toward Vanderbilt as the favorite here (and predicts "Vanderbilt, barely"). He does say that Archie is playing "catch up." I don't understand how the in-state big school coach has to play catch-up in building a relationship with a player who is so good that he won Indiana's 2018 Mr. Basketball back in 2017.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...omeo-langford-anfernee-simons-emmitt-williams
That's because you're dumb and don't understand basketball ..

Eric Bossi says he leans toward Vanderbilt as the favorite here (and predicts "Vanderbilt, barely"). He does say that Archie is playing "catch up." I don't understand how the in-state big school coach has to play catch-up in building a relationship with a player who is so good that he won Indiana's 2018 Mr. Basketball back in 2017.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...omeo-langford-anfernee-simons-emmitt-williams
If you can't understand that then you can't understand anything at all. Keep reading, maybe it will get better for you.....I hope.

Because Archie was hired just ten months ago. Drew had a full one year head start recruiting Romeo. You can bury your head in the sand and think everything is on the up and up with your overrated coach but there is no way he is bringing in these kids cleanly. His on court product is awful and nothing in his coaching resume indicates he can develop players or win at a high level.

Here is the exact question Bossi was asked:

Here is his reply:

“Now that he’s the highest-ranked player remaining in the senior class, all eyes are turning towards Romeo Langford. I don’t know that it would be fair to label any program as “in the driver’s seat” for his services but push come to shove I would probably lean towards the Commodores as the current favorite. But if that’s the case, it’s not by much and he’s far from decided.

I don’t think that a recent visit by Langford to see the Hoosiers can be seen as anything but a positive as Archie Miller works to play catch up in the process of a building a relationship with Langford. Despite Langford’s continued denial that he doesn’t feel any pressure to stay home, I can’t see how the hopes of a state and fanbase as rabid as Indiana’s aren’t starting to weigh on him at least a little bit. So, the Hoosiers could be making up some ground here.“

What part of works to play catch up in the process of a building a relationship do you not understand? Archie took over in March; it takes time to build that relationship. Drew has had the relationship with Garland since he was in junior high, and Darius is doing the recruiting as much - if not more - than Drew.

Will Romeo end up in Bloomington, or Nashville? IDK - but to say “I don't understand how the in-state big school coach has to play catch-up in building a relationship with a player who is so good that he won Indiana's 2018 Mr. Basketball back in 2017“ is either disingenuous or shows you to have a total lack of understanding of recruiting.

Last edited:
Here is the exact question Bossi was asked:

Here is his reply:

“Now that he’s the highest-ranked player remaining in the senior class, all eyes are turning towards Romeo Langford. I don’t know that it would be fair to label any program as “in the driver’s seat” for his services but push come to shove I would probably lean towards the Commodores as the current favorite. But if that’s the case, it’s not by much and he’s far from decided.

I don’t think that a recent visit by Langford to see the Hoosiers can be seen as anything but a positive as Archie Miller works to play catch up in the process of a building a relationship with Langford. Despite Langford’s continued denial that he doesn’t feel any pressure to stay home, I can’t see how the hopes of a state and fanbase as rabid as Indiana’s aren’t starting to weigh on him at least a little bit. So, the Hoosiers could be making up some ground here.“

What part of works to play catch up in the process of a building a relationship do you not understand? Archie took over in March; it takes time to build that relationship. Drew has had the relationship with Garland since he was in junior high, and Darius is doing the recruiting as much - if not more - than Drew.

Will Romeo end up in Bloomington, or Nashville? IDK - but to say “I don't understand how the in-state big school coach has to play catch-up in building a relationship with a player who is so good that he won Indiana's 2018 Mr. Basketball back in 2017“ is either disingenuous or shows to to have s total lack of understanding of recruiting.

If you expect that dolt to understand anything that requires cognitive ability you haven’t been paying attention.

You stated this:

So just how did you determine Dayton got players better than Valpo - just because they're in the Atlantic 10 and Valpo was in the Horizon?

You do realize Butler was in the Horizon once, right? And they recruited guys like Matt Howard, Shelvin Mack, Gordon Hayward. You do realize that, right?

That doesn't mean Dayton DIDN'T have better players than Valpo during the time each coach was at their respective school; they might have. But you haven't provided anything to substantiate such claims. All you've done is make a broad generalization, which - as I showed with Butler - doesn't mean it to ALWAYS be the case.

You made the statement. Provide a link to base that on - or just admit you don't really know. Because you don't.

2011 recruit rankings: Dayton 115 Valpo 236
2012 recruit rankings Dayton 108 Valpo scout didn’t drop far enough for me to find them
2013 : Dayton 69 Valpo 210
2014: Dayton 118 Valpo 209
2015: Dayton 89 Valpo 118
2016: Dayton 66 Valpo below 200

These are scout rankings.

If you truly believe that conferences don’t play in a certain talent range with a very rare exception dealing with a coach like Brad Stevens, I can’t convince you. There is a reason the mid majors are Cinderellas when they make it to the second, third or fourth game.

2012 recruit rankings Dayton 108 Valpo scout didn’t drop far enough for me to find them

If you truly believe that conferences don’t play in a certain talent range with a very rare exception dealing with a coach like Brad Stevens, I can’t convince you. There is a reason the mid majors are Cinderellas when they make it to the second, third or fourth game.

You do know Vandy is playing right now, right?

lol

You do know Vandy is playing right now, right?

lol

They put up a whopping 15 points in the first half. Romeo must love what he sees. Those NBA style practices are really bearing fruit. I think they need more country music bars and construction cranes to entice Romeo down to Nashville.

Ha ha, interesting take.
Saben Lee, current freshman, is a stud and we would be adding 3 top 15 players and another, Aaron Nesmith, who is climbing up he rankings (now at 57 per Jerry Meyer).

Need to call you out for a reality check here with the definition of 'stud'...Saben Lee averages 11 points and was ranked lower in his class than Phinisee...doing it against arguably lesser talent.

If you expect that dolt to understand anything that requires cognitive ability you haven’t been paying attention.
Oh believe me, I have.

Telling him he might be disingenuous was actually a compliment. It would require he was in the same zip code as a clue. Seriously doubt he is.

Here let me help you...

Last IU had a coach, that coach got fired. This year IU has a coach, this coach had no previous relationship with regards to recruiting Romeo.

Is that simple enough for you?

I have to disagree with you on this one. Vanderbilt will struggle to make the tourney next year if they don't land Romeo. They are currently awful and lose their 3 best players. I would also argue I am opposite of a blind fan (I tend to be very critical):)

Most freshmen do not have that big of an impact on the game. For every Marvin Bagley and Trae Young there are numerous 5 star players who will have less impact on the game than a sold upperclassmen player. Kentucky has 6 freshmen 5 star players, this year, and they just fell out of the top 25.
That’s fair, agree to disagree. Top 10 overall 5 stars typically make big impacts imo. They’ll be loaded IF they get Romeo. Without him I think they’re fringe top 25 but easy tourney team.

Reactions: snarlcakes
It looks like Vandy is well in the hunt for 6'9"" five-star power forward E. J. Montgomery. Evidently he hung out with Darrius and Romeo in Italy this summer and something appears to be happening. Coincidentally, Montgomery has been a high school teammate of Simi Shittu also. Romeo has the opportunity to be part of a super-class and go after the Dookies. I'm fine with Romeo not making his announcement until later ..... particularly since I'd like to see him have a fair opportunity to win Mr. Basketball.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article195947509.html

Good God, Drew will have your program on heavy sanctions within three years.

So now, out of nowhere again, you lead for EJ Montgomery. Is he the same five star EJ Montgomery that decommitted from Auburn because he was SINGLED OUT AS THE CENTERPIECE OF THE FBI INVESTIGATION!!??

LOL...yeah we're the esteemed Vanderbilt. We're not cheating.

Shittu is heavily rumored to be asking for payola, so much that UNC and UK back off.

That Vandy money is good though.

Now I hope you get EJ Montgomery just to get the NCAA on your throat faster.

Maybe you could also get Brian Bowan to flip and be a commodore too.

Nope, nothing to see here.

Reactions: mazz
Yes, I’m watching. Good game. I can do two things at once. Maybe you can someday too.

When are you going to show us one of the two. Intelligent thinking or credible posting isn’t among them.

I'm a big time Purdue fan and I got a funny joke for you. Somebody on the Purdue board said that Romeo Langford would not start for Purdue if he went to Purdue next year. He also quoted that the reason why top 50 players don't choose Purdue is because they want more than 15-20 minutes a game. Now as I stated before I'm a big time Purdue fan but that made me f****** laugh. So what you guys think?

Reactions: mazz
That’s fair, agree to disagree. Top 10 overall 5 stars typically make big impacts imo. They’ll be loaded IF they get Romeo. Without him I think they’re fringe top 25 but easy tourney team.

Without Romeo you really think that Vandy is an easy tourney and fringe top 25 team just by bringing in 2, 5*s? They’re a terrible team that’s graduating 3 senior starters? Drew is not Cal. Add Romeo and I’d say they might be that, but without him they’ll suck again next year.

I'm a big time Purdue fan and I got a funny joke for you. Somebody on the Purdue board said that Romeo Langford would not start for Purdue if he went to Purdue next year. He also quoted that the reason why top 50 players don't choose Purdue is because they want more than 15-20 minutes a game. Now as I stated before I'm a big time Purdue fan but that made me f****** laugh. So what you guys think?

D+ Troll Grade

Start slower.....

I never said I did think that, did I?

I said you never provided anything to substantiate - and although you’ve typed out a lot of numbers, you still have never provided a link. Do you not know how to post one?

You said this a while back, which led to this whole discussion:

Archie was Dayton coach from 2011-2017. In conference the Flyers finished 5th, 11th, T-5th, T-2nd, T-1st and 1st. His overall record was 139-63 (.687). Bryce was at Valpo from 2011-2016. His conference finish was 1st, 1st, 4th, 1st, 1st. Overall record of 124-49 (.717). Archie did have the one run to the elite eight which was very impressive but besides that, their tourney record was very similar:
CBD: NIT 1st rnd, NCAA 2nd rnd, NCAA 2nd rnd and NIT runner up
CAM: NIT 1st rnd, NCAA Elite eight, NCAA 2nd rnd, NCAA 1st rnd, NCAA 1st rnd.
I would not say Archie "Far Surpasses" Bryce. Archie was in a better conference that could recruit a higher level player. I would say they are pretty comparable to this point in time. Archie would maybe have a slight edge.

“Archie was in a better conference” - you think? Really?

Let me demonstrate how you provide a link to substantiate a statement. This is the college basketball conference rankings from 2012 to 2016 - Drew’s last year at Valpo:

2012 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 13th.

2013 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 12th.

2014 - A10 ranked 6th in all conferences; Horizon 14th.

2015 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 17th.

2016 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 18th.

EVERY year the Atlantic 10 was rated at least 7th. In 2014 they were 6th rated ahead of the SEC - where Drew now coaches. In fact, out of 5 years the SEC was rated 4th / 9th / 7th / 6th / 6th. The A10 five year average ranking was 6.8, barely behind the 6.4 average of the SEC. That’s right - your coach now works in a conference functionally equivalent to the one Archie came from.

And your trying to equate Archie’s tournament record from that time span (1 NIT, 4 NCAA’s, including the Elite 8) to 2 NCAA bids and 2 NIT’s (You forgot to mention Drew’s 2014 CIT trip; I can understand why it was omitted)? Really?

Vanderbilt currently sets 7-13 with most of last years NCAA team back (although they have lost Matthew Fisher-Davis for the rest of the year to a shoulder injury). Archie inherited a 18-16 IU team that had lost its 3 best players (2 to the NBA), a team that was high in turnover ratio and poor defensively, a team with only one really good player in Morgan. Yet despite losing their one true post option, Archie has the Hoosiers currently 5th in the B1G.

And you still don’t think Miller “far surpasses” Bryce? Which state do you live in: Tennessee, Kentucky, or delusion?

Conferences do tend to play within “talent range” which includes both the players and the coaches. The point you are missing is that wining the conference in the A10 is far more impressive because it has more talented coaches. Archie was able to start consistently beating them before the age of 40.

Conferences do tend to play within “talent range” which includes both the players and the coaches. The point you are missing is that wining the conference in the A10 is far more impressive because it has more talented coaches. Archie was able to start consistently beating them before the age of 40.
Great point

I never said I did think that, did I?

I said you never provided anything to substantiate - and although you’ve typed out a lot of numbers, you still have never provided a link. Do you not know how to post one?

You said this a while back, which led to this whole discussion:

“Archie was in a better conference” - you think? Really?

Let me demonstrate how you provide a link to substantiate a statement. This is the college basketball conference rankings from 2012 to 2016 - Drew’s last year at Valpo:

2012 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 13th.

2013 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 12th.

2014 - A10 ranked 6th in all conferences; Horizon 14th.

2015 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 17th.

2016 - A10 ranked 7th in all conferences; Horizon 18th.

EVERY year the Atlantic 10 was rated at least 7th. In 2014 they were 6th rated ahead of the SEC - where Drew now coaches. In fact, out of 5 years the SEC was rated 4th / 9th / 7th / 6th / 6th. The A10 five year average ranking was 6.8, barely behind the 6.4 average of the SEC. That’s right - your coach now works in a conference functionally equivalent to the one Archie came from.

And your trying to equate Archie’s tournament record from that time span (1 NIT, 4 NCAA’s, including the Elite 8) to 2 NCAA bids and 2 NIT’s (You forgot to mention Drew’s 2014 CIT trip; I can understand why it was omitted)? Really?

Vanderbilt currently sets 7-13 with most of last years NCAA team back (although they have lost Matthew Fisher-Davis for the rest of the year to a shoulder injury). Archie inherited a 18-16 IU team that had lost its 3 best players (2 to the NBA), a team that was high in turnover ratio and poor defensively, a team with only one really good player in Morgan. Yet despite losing their one true post option, Archie has the Hoosiers currently 5th in the B1G.

And you still don’t think Miller “far surpasses” Bryce? Which state do you live in: Tennessee, Kentucky, or delusion?

Actually, your post proves it even more. The horizon league is far worse then the A10 and he took Valpo to the second round of the tourney twice and an NIT runner-up once. Thanks. I’m not saying drew is better, I’m disputing the “ far surpasses” statement. Whatever, you guys keep those crimson glasses on tight. You may need them over the next 10 years

That’s not a funny joke in the slightest and no one gives two chits what you have to say about anything. Screw you and the fat cow you rode in on.

Actually, your post proves it even more. The horizon league is far worse then the A10 and he took Valpo to the second round of the tourney twice and an NIT runner-up once. Thanks. I’m not saying drew is better, I’m disputing the “ far surpasses” statement. Whatever, you guys keep those crimson glasses on tight. You may need them over the next 10 years

If Drew was so good why was he never looked at by a major program and instead had to go to a third rate SEC school?

Took Valpo to the second round of the tourney twice? Just how many NCAA games did Valpo win to get to the 2nd round?

You also realize Drew MISSED the dance the other 3 years. If Bryce was such a great coach in a piss-poor conference, how is he missing the NCAA? Tom Crean won 2 B1G titles in a 4-year span; you know what he did the other 2 years? T-7th, T-8th

Without Romeo you really think that Vandy is an easy tourney and fringe top 25 team just by bringing in 2, 5*s? They’re a terrible team that’s graduating 3 senior starters? Drew is not Cal. Add Romeo and I’d say they might be that, but without him they’ll suck again next year.
Yes I do. Those 3 senior starters obviously aren’t very good. They’re going to be solid next year. I’m not saying Final Four run, but fringe top 25 I think is appropriate. Agree to disagree.

Yes I do. Those 3 senior starters obviously aren’t very good. They’re going to be solid next year. I’m not saying Final Four run, but fringe top 25 I think is appropriate. Agree to disagree.

Wait, you’re saying that the 3 senior starters obviously aren’t very good. OK. Then that means the players currently on the roster that can’t beat them out are even worse. Correct? There's not much of a chance that adding 2 5*s will make that roster close to the top 25. Sounds more like a .500 team to me. Which in all fairness would be a huge upgrade over this years Vandy team that sucks balls. We definitely disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT