ADVERTISEMENT

Republican debate thread

You can lie, but nobody is buying it. If he were white, GOP voters support would be much, much higher. He is smart to focus on the theme of Reagan. That is smart strategy by him - go for moderate fiscal conservatives who are tired of the nutjobs who are running the GOP.
“Lie?” You’re a sick puppy.

Hot takes:

1. Haley's the smartest
2. Christie is the choice for "traditional" Republicans
3. DeSantis is still smarmy
4. Ramaswamy needs to dial it down to about 8
5. Scott needs to dial it up to at least 4
6. I think Pence really believes he holds the religion trump card, but playing it will prove him wrong
7. Poor Hutchinson and Burgum were simply out of their element

Hot takes:

1. Haley's the smartest
2. Christie is the choice for "traditional" Republicans
3. DeSantis is still smarmy
4. Ramaswamy needs to dial it down to about 8
5. Scott needs to dial it up to at least 4
6. I think Pence really believes he holds the religion trump card, but playing it will prove him wrong
7. Poor Hutchinson and Burgum were simply out of their element
Smartest is complicated. Polished. Common sense. But she’s a tater. Hard to be smartest. Vivek and others are probably pretty damn smart. Just weird. Goofy. Whatever.

Smartest is complicated. Polished. Common sense. But she’s a tater. Hard to be smartest. Vivek and others are probably pretty damn smart. Just weird. Goofy. Whatever.
Good point. When I think "smartest" politician, I'm thinking the ones with genuine gravitas, not just the good salesmen. Vivek showed himself to be a bit too much P. T. Barnum tonight.

More hot takes.

1. Debate “moments” mean zilch.
2. Hands up questions should be banned.
3. A stage with a group of people giving sound bites with limited time is a waste of time.
4. Debates have become a media shindig and are not informative.

The best and most informative candidate event in recent memory was Rick Warren’s back to back interviews of McCain and Obama in 2008. We need more of that.

FWIW I listened to such an interview of Governor Bugum. He’s a solid guy and would be a very. good chief executive.

Mike has been around for quite awhile at several different levels. People don't like him but he is an experienced politician and he knew how to get himself into the discussion even when he wasn't being invited.
He’s a pompous old ass that needs to slow talk himself into the nursing home.

You also said something about her sexual adventures. Was that in pizzagate territory?
I'm not sure what that means. Were the accusations true? I have no idea. Her accusers were clearly politically motivated. But I did think the accusations would hold her back. I did not believe Republican voters would be as forgiving of a straying woman as they would a straying man.

But, the fact is, South Carolina elected her despite the accusations, and they seem to have mostly gone away. So I am no longer convinced those accusations would be a meaningful hindrance.

More on Haley: her post-debate interview on Hannity was interesting. She defended her take on abortion, and then addressed a question about Trump. Hannity asked her if she really believed Trump would lose to Biden, and she said yes, and he pressed her to say Trump was being politically persecuted, and she agreed. She argued that the DOJ has been weaponized against Trump, and he can't win because of it, but they (the GOP) need to win to end this weaponization, and they can use what Trump went through to do that. In short, she promised to make him a martyr. In her mind, he can't win, but he can be the rallying point to help her win.

Edit: Also, I noticed she changed. Another one of those things that I think are different between men and women. The men are all wearing the same suit at tie they wore on stage. She has to put on a new outfit before she sits down for one-on-ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT