ADVERTISEMENT

Republican debate thread

Again, if it starts to sink into legislation, then it's a problem. If religious freedom starts to override other freedoms or leads to protected discrimination, then it's a problem.

Why would I refuse to attend work mandated meeting?

A person in that situation has to measure that up on his/her beliefs. Part of it could DEI is butting up against a person's prejudices or outright bigotry. I'm not fully on board the whole of equity, but I understand why it's there.

The idea would be greater equality from the start to establish levels of expectations of results and accountability, allowing for similar opportunities for success/equity or tangible reasons why it didn't happen. It won't necessarily stop prejudices from getting in the way, and it also won't stop all those thinking there are forces against them. A business or school can only try.

No.

Don't get presumptuous on me though. It won't go the direction you think it will.

You're talking about the number who cross. I'm talking about the characteristics assigned to them. I'm not accusing you of caring about their race or nationality. I'm just noting it's a huge part of the outcry. Trump calling them rapists, murderers and drug dealers. Meanwhile, the first two aren't true when compared to crime rates overall, and the last one is immaterial, as we know far more drugs come through our ports than through our border.

We shouldn't feel good about how we handle our poor and homeless just because we're better than 2nd or 3rd world countries, or treat them better than oppressive regimes.

It's like someone comparing US's gun violence to a third world country, concluding we're not so bad after all.

Yet again, it seems a fringe right candidate only cares about the 2nd Amendment.
If you had kids you’d see them watching the videos they watch where they’re being told that people who don’t look like them have deference. It hasn’t crossed into curriculum yet but I’m watchful. I trust our school district - I really do.

You implied capitalism is not doing a good job raising people out of poverty. I’m not saying we’re where we need to be but we’re better than the rest against countries our size and complexity. To argue otherwise is just arguing for argument sake.

Re: DEI training, would you be happy to attend a required training on the merits of alchemy or on the history of unicorns just because HR hired someone to push these down your throat?

it will be interesting to see how many trumpers get behind the viv. the dichotomy in the party is pretty clear. the viv/trump vs christie /pence types. the former are perceived as outsiders. self-made. non establishment. focus on making america great again. spend here before anywhere else. other countries can fund themselves. vs the latter. gov types. politicians. support ukraine with funding etc. place our footprint around the world.

trump is an idiot and i give dbm hell for his silly polls and loyalty to a scumbag, but if you get past the person there really isn't anything wrong with supporting those policy/ideologies
Well said, had the conversation with my Dad this morning he was aware of Viv but not 100% up to speed on him. He came away thinking he would be the clear cut best option for the Republican party and that is saying something. I wish America had the balls to vote Viv in, but we don't so it is what it is. Trump vs. Whomever is running the country and Trump looses, make that America looses.

If we continue to elect career guys like Biden or Pence or Christie we deserve what we get. My daughter was taking my grandson for minor procedure this morning and driving through Louisville she called me. The first thing she said is my goodness there are tons of homeless everywhere, then she said I guess it is good they are ridding around in motorized wheelchairs? lol

For the record I would put Trump below several on the panel last night, so I'm not a Trumpster but I'm definitely not for a senile old man who can't complete sentences either.

If you had kids you’d see them watching the videos they watch where they’re being told that people who don’t look like them have deference. It hasn’t crossed into curriculum yet but I’m watchful. I trust our school district - I really do.
If it's not coming from the curriculum, then I'd view it as a teachable moment.

I don't know what to tell you. Depends on what you're talking about in regards to deference.

You implied capitalism is not doing a good job raising people out of poverty. I’m not saying we’re where we need to be but we’re better than the rest against countries our size and complexity. To argue otherwise is just arguing for argument sake.
But it's so easy to do better. Maybe more transparency of what is being done from a corporate level would help.

Re: DEI training, would you be happy to attend a required training on the merits of alchemy or on the history of unicorns just because HR hired someone to push these down your throat?
Who is training on alchemy and unicorns?

I agree with this, but if such a format were to be used in a Biden/Haley-DeSantis/Manchin debate Biden would be completely exposed.
I thought Biden did much better than I expected versus Trump in 2020- sure maybe he’s fallen off a cliff mentally since but he whipped the self-labeled “stable genius” back then. Of course Trump’s utter lack of preparation may have factored in- I think he’s pretty lazy, I know he has less presidential quality than many on this board

Of course Trump’s utter lack of preparation may have factored in- I think he’s pretty lazy, I know he has less presidential quality than many on this board

He had Covid. Practiced long enough to give it to Christie then gave it up.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Well said, had the conversation with my Dad this morning he was aware of Viv but not 100% up to speed on him. He came away thinking he would be the clear cut best option for the Republican party and that is saying something. I wish America had the balls to vote Viv in, but we don't so it is what it is. Trump vs. Whomever is running the country and Trump looses, make that America looses.

If we continue to elect career guys like Biden or Pence or Christie we deserve what we get. My daughter was taking my grandson for minor procedure this morning and driving through Louisville she called me. The first thing she said is my goodness there are tons of homeless everywhere, then she said I guess it is good they are ridding around in motorized wheelchairs? lol

For the record I would put Trump below several on the panel last night, so I'm not a Trumpster but I'm definitely not for a senile old man who can't complete sentences either.
So you’re NOT for Trump, re your last sentence?

I keep forgetting he almost killed Christie. That explains a lot.
And then called him while he was in the hospital to make sure he wouldn’t tell how he got it. Oh and told people to take their masks off during the debate prep, according to Christie.

Talking Head Consensus … Non scientific

Vivek — Plus
Haley — Plus
DeSantis — Push, not charismatic
Scott — Push to Minus
Field — Minus

Trump … didn’t lose ground by not jumping into the mud pit with the rest.

Talking Head Consensus … Non scientific

Vivek — Plus
Haley — Plus
DeSantis — Push, not charismatic
Scott — Push to Minus
Field — Minus

Trump … didn’t lose ground by not jumping into the mud pit with the rest.
The more I think about it, the more I don’t think it matters. The moment all of those candidates raised their hands affirming they’d still support Trump if he’s the nominee, as a convicted felon, they disqualified themselves. That’s if Trump is convicted, of course.

There’s not enough Trumpers to win the election for Trump, if he’s convicted, and not enough independents to cross over for one of these candidates if Trump is convicted and drops out. The Dem campaign will show a tv commercial every day of these folks raising their hand in support of Trump, after the details of his guilt comes out in court.

Yes, and Ned Ryun opines that the Democrats are all in for a future of 1 party rule with no open dissent.

Reactions: DANC
Yes, and Ned Ryun opines that the Democrats are all in for a future of 1 party rule with no open dissent.
I’m not familiar with that, but I certainly don’t want to see one party rule by either side. Mr. Ryun may opine that the Dems are all in on that, but we have recent evidence that the DJT wing of the Pubs are actively trying to make it reality.

Imagine how much more republicans and conservatives would support if Vivek wasn't Indian-Amerian.
You’re a one trick pony. A race baiting asswipe. Stop with the “Republicans are all racists” nonsense. I don’t like that guy for President at all, but it has jack squat to do with his race. However, I like Haley and I like Scott. How could that be?

You’ve always rubbed me the long way because of all your racist accusations.

Didn't watch the Secretary of Transportation debate. But the Trump/Tucker interview was great. Already has 147M views. Holy smokes!
80 percent tuned in to point, laugh and play drinking games about how many times he whined about how everyone being out to get him.

Good point. When I think "smartest" politician, I'm thinking the ones with genuine gravitas, not just the good salesmen. Vivek showed himself to be a bit too much P. T. Barnum tonight.
I don’t think there’s any objective way to measure intellectualism, but the Republicans have absolutely done much, much more losing since 2016 than we did in Bush’s two terms.

The “orthodoxy” they say Vivek is running against is a straw man. Toddlers who were in diapers the last time the GOP nominated a neocon will be able to vote in 2024. Eight years is a lifetime in politics, and the talking points Vivek spouted are essentially the party default from 2016 onward (Trump’s administration and everyone who fell in line with him since). Anyone talking about refining this message, which has lost more than it’s won, into something that can actually win in the 2020s and 2030s, would be challenging orthodoxy. Running against 2004 in 2024 is hardly a bold thing to do.

You’ve always rubbed me the long way because of all your racist accusations.
Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The mind numbingly frustrating thing about our current situation...

There were some reasonable people, and reasonable positions stated and taken in that debate. I didn't agree with some of it, but overall, a lot of reasonable stuff.

If the Democrats would have a similar debate, sans POTUS, I think I'd come away with a similar impression. Some reasonable people, with some reasonable positions. I wouldn't agree with all of it, probably would agree with a fair bit less of it. But there'd be thought provoking stuff to think about.

So they'll have these debates on issues, probably talk about some realistic solutions...it'll feel good to actually talk about and think about issues and solutions...buuuuuttttt, a year from now...we'll get to choose between a dumb, racist, old, career con man, in diapers and an orange jump suit...and an even older, career con man, that likely has dimentia, in diapers and a blue suit.

Haley
Scott
Pence
Christie
Shapiro
Manchin
....the viable Democrat bench I'm not as familiar with...heck Michelle Obama or even Mayor Pete...

I'd vote for any of these people, and likely actively and vocally support, against either Trump or Biden. Heck, it might even impact my down ballot voting as well.

I wish the party overlords would just get together at one of their gangster hideouts, both agree to pick a reasonable candidate, and make the adult decision. MAGA and WOKE will kick and scream for a few months, the Orange jump suit man will make it hard on everyone, The Blue Suit man will be relieved, but well before the election next year, most will have moved forward.

The Blue Suit man will be relieved, but well before the election next year, most will have moved forward.

If Biden was confident that another Dem could beat Trump, I act6ually think he'd step aside. The problem is he made Harris his heir apparent, and I don't believe anyone thinks she's the one to get the job done.

If Biden was confident that another Dem could beat Trump, I act6ually think he'd step aside. The problem is he made Harris his heir apparent, and I don't believe anyone thinks she's the one to get the job done.
How the hell can Biden not understand his current polling numbers and Trump’s? Biden has to be literally drooling in his oatmeal to not understand that he and Trump both can only compete versus one another? We’ve literally chosen the worst match up we could likely now twice in a row

Lol. What history exactly? Trump isn’t any more likely to be assassinated than any other president. And you call that a grilling? Lol
You're a big Ron defender now. And you want Trump to be the nominee 🤭

Republicans as a whole. And he didn’t campaign on what he actually did abortion wise.
I believe GWB is the only post-Roe Republican nominee who has been pro-life for his entire career. Republican pols, other than the minority that are sincerely as opposed to performatively religious, tend to not care much about abortion, but they know that the party’s activist class will hold their feet to the fire on it.

Similarly, there are a ton of R’s in office who take very strong stances on Second Amendment issues and have never touched a gun in their lives

Reactions: zeke4ahs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT