ADVERTISEMENT

Republican debate thread

the viv is obviously crazy smart. his cv evidences same. but damn four years of that dude would feel like dog years. guy is incredibly annoying. watching him interact during the handshaking post debate a douchebag as well.
He just oozes “I was a dorky valedictorian and you all made fun of me, now I’m a billionaire with a hot wife and everyone is gonna pay” energy.

That said, hopefully he has a future in the GOP. His foreign policy needs to cook a little longer in my opinion but his instincts are great and I love his ideas about the administrative state and the border.

I don’t think he was expecting the Haley, Christie, Pence neocon triumvirate to set their sights on him to the extent they did. He’ll be more prepared next debate. Pence and Haley talking over him was obnoxious.

I was pleasantly surprised by Haley last night. She thread a few needles beautifully. Trump support without being a sycophant, pro-Ukraine without being a NeoCon. I appreciated her honesty in abortion although Republicans should hold Democrats feet to the fire on 15 weeks for gamesmanship. She somehow espoused very conservative positions in a way that wasn’t alienating to sane Democrats. I still think she would have Americans boots in the Middle East within a year. Possibly in Iran.

DeSantis was fine. I don’t think this helped or hurt him. Which is a win because this really isn’t his format. The less people in the room the better he does.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Just a loon of a different feather. Less subtle than Vivek. She actually believes the crap Trump caters to.
Vivek is directionally correct in most things he says (sans eliminating key agencies). He lacks nuance and maturity but this country very much needs somebody - maybe not him - that can look at problems and not respond with “well that’s just how it’s always been done.”

He just oozes “I was a dorky valedictorian and you all made fun of me, now I’m a billionaire with a hot wife and everyone is gonna pay” energy.

That said, hopefully he has a future in the GOP. His foreign policy needs to cook a little longer in my opinion but his instincts are great and I love his ideas about the administrative state and the border.

I don’t think he was expecting the Haley, Christie, Pence neocon triumvirate to set their sights on him to the extent they did. He’ll be more prepared next debate. Pence and Haley talking over him was obnoxious.

I was pleasantly surprised by Haley last night. She thread a few needles beautifully. Trump support without being a sycophant, pro-Ukraine without being a NeoCon. I appreciated her honesty in abortion although Republicans should hold Democrats feet to the fire on 15 weeks for gamesmanship. She somehow espoused very conservative positions in a way that wasn’t alienating to sane Democrats. I still think she would have Americans boots in the Middle East within a year. Possibly in Iran.

DeSantis was fine. I don’t think this helped or hurt him. Which is a win because this really isn’t his format. The less people in the room the better he does.
Haley clearly won in my opinion. DeSantis a close second. Viv only hurt himself with his loony foreign policy.

Reactions: Indyhorn and larsIU
Will likely be Lake. Don't count out Vance though. Has to be someone the deep state fears just as much as Trump.
You always act like the trump crowd is really sticking it to someone. All they do is get their asses handed to them at every turn. Losing elections. Having cases tossed. Indicted. It’s like you’re watching a different game. Polls are meaningless. Literally meaningless.

Vivek is directionally correct in most things he says (sans eliminating key agencies). He lacks nuance and maturity but this country very much needs somebody - maybe not him - that can look at problems and not respond with “well that’s just how it’s always been done.”
Ok...let's examine what he posted on Facebook:

Anything after the -- is from me.

TRUTH.
1. God is real. -- I don't believe that, but I don't care if someone does, unless they attach consequences for not believing. (We're getting closer to that.)

2. There are two genders. -- I agree with this, but I'm not bothered by people living their life the way want to, so long as it doesn't infringe on other people. This doesn't need to be an issue.

3. Human flourishing requires fossil fuels. -- For now, and it's not say we will ever be fossil fuel free, but there is nothing wrong with pushing technology for renewable energy.

4. Reverse racism is racism. -- Sure, but self-marginalized white males isn't a sign of racism.

5. An open border is no border. -- But we only care when brown people come across. Maybe we work with Mexico to help improve their way of living. (I'm sure some of this is being done beyond my knowledge.)

6. Parents determine the education of their children. -- 100% agree with this, but that doesn't mean attack public schools, villainize teachers and create false narratives as a means to syphon kids into charter schools. If you don't like your public school, don't attend it.

7. The nuclear family is the greatest form of governance known to mankind. -- that would be great, but that also involves fewer unwanted children, more stable work environments in an effort to remove money concerns as a divider of marriages and acknowledging there is a vast difference between pro-life and pro-birth.

8. Capitalism lifts people up from poverty. -- we sure about that?

9. There are three branches of the U.S. government, not four. -- I'm assuming that a subtle way to go at the media or the 'deep state'. We all know money drives politicians and, now, SCOTUS into political decisions. Not sure why he would be any different.

10. The U.S. Constitution is the strongest guarantor of freedoms in history. -- accept he doesn't necessarily believe in all of it.

Found the debate entertaining although it was rather chaotic as was to be expected.

Was curious to see if Vivek Ramaswamy would be a rock star, as say, Obama was in 2008. Don't think he will make it.

Biggest surprise for me was how well Pence and Haley did. Have to admit my leanings are toward more traditional candidates, so I am biased.

Also felt Fox and the moderators did pretty well. As might be expected, the Monday morning quarterbacks don't agree with me on this.

Thought someone such as maybe DeSantis might make a big showing and be in a firm position to challenge Trump. Don't think it happened which makes Trump the winner in the debate.

Found the debate entertaining although it was rather chaotic as was to be expected.

Was curious to see if Vivek Ramaswamy would be a rock star, as say, Obama was in 2008. Don't think he will make it.

Biggest surprise for me was how well Pence and Haley did. Have to admit my leanings are toward more traditional candidates, so I am biased.

Also felt Fox and the moderators did pretty well. As might be expected, the Monday morning quarterbacks don't agree with me on this.

Thought someone such as maybe DeSantis might make a big showing and be in a firm position to challenge Trump. Don't think it happened which makes Trump the winner in the debate.
I just can’t see the MAGA hicks lining up around the block to vote for someone named Ramaswamy (or Rammyswammy, or however they’ll pronounce it). It ain’t happening.

TRUTH.
1. God is real. -- I don't believe that, but I don't care if someone does, unless they attach consequences for not believing. (We're getting closer to that.) there are zero consequences for not believing that. Zero.

2. There are two genders. -- I agree with this, but I'm not bothered by people living their life the way want to, so long as it doesn't infringe on other people. This doesn't need to be an issue. Except it’s all up in our face and I wish you luck if you work at a big corp and are overheard (or seen on social media) agreeing there are only two genders. So clearly it’s infringing on other people - unless you agree that’s happening.

3. Human flourishing requires fossil fuels. -- For now, and it's not say we will ever be fossil fuel free, but there is nothing wrong with pushing technology for renewable energy. Fully agree. I’m all in on nuclear and renewables where they work.

4. Reverse racism is racism. -- Sure, but self-marginalized white males isn't a sign of racism.our kids have been programmed to believe that only POCs should be proud of their race. In my opinion nobody should be proud of a race - only of their nationality or their achievements but that’s just me. Does that make me a self-marginalized white male?

5. An open border is no border. -- But we only care when brown people come across. Maybe we work with Mexico to help improve their way of living. (I'm sure some of this is being done beyond my knowledge.) this is nonsense - your worst point of the list. Not even worth discussing. We’re not letting the floodgates open from the north or the coasts. Europe did and it’s destroying them.

6. Parents determine the education of their children. -- 100% agree with this, but that doesn't mean attack public schools, villainize teachers and create false narratives as a means to syphon kids into charter schools. If you don't like your public school, don't attend it. Agreed

7. The nuclear family is the greatest form of governance known to mankind. -- that would be great, but that also involves fewer unwanted children, more stable work environments in an effort to remove money concerns as a divider of marriages and acknowledging there is a vast difference between pro-life and pro-birth. Agreed

8. Capitalism lifts people up from poverty. -- we sure about that? It’s nuanced but there is no better system on earth than capitalism. One could argue we should have a larger welfare state but we would be the largest non-communist welfare state in the world. Are you prepared to take the chances on that?

9. There are three branches of the U.S. government, not four. -- I'm assuming that a subtle way to go at the media or the 'deep state'. We all know money drives politicians and, now, SCOTUS into political decisions. Not sure why he would be any different. Meh. It’s a dumb thing for him to say.

10. The U.S. Constitution is the strongest guarantor of freedoms in history. -- accept he doesn't necessarily believe in all of it. I don’t follow
I added in bold to your comments

I added in bold to your comments.
I don't agree with #6. I think that this part:

If you don't like your public school, don't attend it.

is wrongheaded. Bloom assumes that his position on how schools should operate is the default position. You don't like that, leave! Parents are voters. If you have enough like minded parents who believe that the school isn't operating up to community standards, you don't take your ball and go home, you take over the court. Conservatives have made a massive mistake in abandoning things like the education system to the left in this country. They don't like it so they leave to homeschooling or private schools. That leaves a festering issue in the community though.

So no, don't find another school. Find like minded individuals and make changes.

spend here before anywhere else. other countries can fund themselves. vs the latter
I can't imagine the Vivek types who spout NEOCON! at every chance but have no plan for untangling 80 years of foreign policy which reenvisioned the world under the umbrella of the good ol USA. Do they think our economic largesse wasn't helped tremendously by our military endeavors (good/bad/whatever) over the past 60-70 years.

Nonsense. We are who we are and undoing that will take at least a generation or longer. It's a stupid, stupid take without a 30 year plan to undo it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

TRUTH.
1. God is real. -- I don't believe that, but I don't care if someone does, unless they attach consequences for not believing. (We're getting closer to that.) there are zero consequences for not believing that. Zero.
That isn't really true. The attempt is to force it into public schools, where it doesn't belong, not to mention legislation. Indiana has a 'candidate' for Lt. Governor (it's not an elected position) who is 'running' as a Christian Nationalist.

2. There are two genders. -- I agree with this, but I'm not bothered by people living their life the way want to, so long as it doesn't infringe on other people. This doesn't need to be an issue. Except it’s all up in our face and I wish you luck if you work at a big corp and are overheard (or seen on social media) agreeing there are only two genders. So clearly it’s infringing on other people - unless you agree that’s happening.
It's not in my face at all, and I've been open about it on social media, mostly in the context of trans-women competing in sports. However, being exposed to it doesn't make me feel it's in my face.

I don't know why you'd talk about it at work, let alone make it an issue. It probably depends on if the person is an a$$hole or not. I work in a building with close to 6,000 people, and as little as it's even mentioned, let alone discussed, I've never felt the urge to interject in either direction.

Maybe the alpha-bros and the Karens struggle with it. It's just not really my business.

4. Reverse racism is racism. -- Sure, but self-marginalized white males isn't a sign of racism.our kids have been programmed to believe that only POCs should be proud of their race. In my opinion nobody should be proud of a race - only of their nationality or their achievements but that’s just me. Does that make me a self-marginalized white male?
They aren't being programmed that. There are people who want you to believe that, but that isn't close to what is happening.

It only makes you self-marginalized if you think uplifting others somehow reduces you.

5. An open border is no border. -- But we only care when brown people come across. Maybe we work with Mexico to help improve their way of living. (I'm sure some of this is being done beyond my knowledge.) this is nonsense - your worst point of the list. Not even worth discussing. We’re not letting the floodgates open from the north or the coasts. Europe did and it’s destroying them.
Europe's problem is each country has their own set of rules. We're not Europe.

Just because you don't believe the xenophobia being put forth doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Debated this crap back in 2016, and to that point the numbers showed crime rate among illegal immigrants were lower than most demographics.

8. Capitalism lifts people up from poverty. -- we sure about that? It’s nuanced but there is no better system on earth than capitalism. One could argue we should have a larger welfare state but we would be the largest non-communist welfare state in the world. Are you prepared to take the chances on that?
Aren't we among the largest non-communists countries in the world? It seems logical.

To me welfare would be more of a merit system, aimed at self-sufficiency. I know that's the end goal, but there are too many leaks in the system. Easing out of criminalizing drugs would help some of this. It's bad enough people fight addiction, they have to also fight a record.

9. There are three branches of the U.S. government, not four. -- I'm assuming that a subtle way to go at the media or the 'deep state'. We all know money drives politicians and, now, SCOTUS into political decisions. Not sure why he would be any different. Meh. It’s a dumb thing for him to say.
Not sure his point on this, so mostly just guessing.
10. The U.S. Constitution is the strongest guarantor of freedoms in history. -- accept he doesn't necessarily believe in all of it. I don’t follow
HIs notion that 18-25 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote unless they can pass a civics test is moronic.

I don't agree with #6. I think that this part:

If you don't like your public school, don't attend it.

is wrongheaded. Bloom assumes that his position on how schools should operate is the default position. You don't like that, leave! Parents are voters. If you have enough like minded parents who believe that the school isn't operating up to community standards, you don't take your ball and go home, you take over the court. Conservatives have made a massive mistake in abandoning things like the education system to the left in this country. They don't like it so they leave to homeschooling or private schools. That leaves a festering issue in the community though.

So no, don't find another school. Find like minded individuals and make changes.
Public school is what the state determines. They determine the curriculum boundaries. We also have private schools, parochial schools and home schooling.

If you want religion in school, go to a school that offers it.

"Parental rights" doesn't mean the ability to micromanage your child's education. If that's what you want, homeschool them.

This small, but noisy group of people are whining about transparency. Everything teachers do is online now. Lesson plans, notes, videos, etc.

The problem you have is you believe half the crap that's being shoveled out by people who have their own agendas, such syphoning kids into charter schools backed by big money.

The state of Indiana and across the country with this school choice initiative has been trying to defund public education for over 20 years. Now they've figured there is money in Charter schools, using public money.

Charter schools came about in areas where they're voids, especially in urban areas. Much needed. However, now they're spreading to the burbs where the money is.

It's not in my face at all, and I've been open about it on social media, mostly in the context of trans-women competing in sports. However, being exposed to it doesn't make me feel it's in my face.

I don't know why you'd talk about it at work, let alone make it an issue. It probably depends on if the person is an a$$hole or not. I work in a building with close to 6,000 people, and as little as it's even mentioned, let alone discussed, I've never felt the urge to interject in either direction.

Maybe the alpha-bros and the Karens struggle with it. It's just not really my business.

They aren't being programmed that. There are people who want you to believe that, but that isn't close to what is happening.
Your anecdotal Indiana based perspective limits your grasp on a few issues and this is definitely one of them.

HIs notion that 18-25 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote unless they can pass a civics test is moronic.
I'd be much more enthusiastic of a requirement for people running for office being required to pass the civics test than the voters themselves.

Reactions: Bloom.

1) He is probably referencing people being allowed to discriminate based on their religious beliefs (generally due to being anti-LGBTQ)

2) It's not in your face and it doesn't effect you at all. The only reason it seems "in your face" is because of your news source.

4) Your response is ridiculous. No one has been programmed to believe only POC should be proud. dumb

5) Haven't heard anyone trying to build a wall along the canada border. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to act like he is wrong

1) He is probably referencing people being allowed to discriminate based on their religious beliefs (generally due to being anti-LGBTQ)

2) It's not in your face and it doesn't effect you at all. The only reason it seems "in your face" is because of your news source.

4) Your response is ridiculous. No one has been programmed to believe only POC should be proud. dumb

5) Haven't heard anyone trying to build a wall along the canada border. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to act like he is wrong
Christ you’re a fool. Do you really exist?

Try being critical of gender theory at work in a mandatory training and see what that gets you?

Re pride. Wrong again dumbo.

we don’t have people steaming over the Canadian border you freaking idiot. Why on earth do you try to ruin peoples’ experience here?

Try being critical of gender theory at work in a mandatory training and see what that gets you?

we don’t have people steaming over the Canadian border you freaking idiot. Why on earth do you try to ruin peoples’ experience here?
This kid's great...

so wait, you're getting into other people's faces about it and claiming it is in your face if they disagree with you?

We don't have people caring about anyone crossing the border other than from Mexico.

so wait, you're getting into other people's faces about it and claiming it is in your face if they disagree with you?

We don't have people caring about anyone crossing the border other than from Mexico.
I’m done. You’re not worth the 4 extra BPM. You should be ashamed of yourself for your ignorance and complete unwillingness to try to see both sides of an issue. So ****ing dumb.

I’m done. You’re not worth the 4 extra BPM. You should be ashamed of yourself for your ignorance and complete unwillingness to try to see both sides of an issue. So ****ing dumb.

Simple minded people tend to resort to insults when they are blind to anything but their point of view.

Congrats on proving what you are.

Will likely be Lake. Don't count out Vance though. Has to be someone the deep state fears just as much as Trump.
You do realize that with the country as polarized as it is, the objective for a minority party like the GOP is to sway Independents, right? They already severely dislike Trump, and you think his VP should be an even more divisive choice, like Lake?

You're gonna drown in that coolaid...

Reactions: UncleMark
I just can’t see the MAGA hicks lining up around the block to vote for someone named Ramaswamy (or Rammyswammy, or however they’ll pronounce it). It ain’t happening.
Up until now, Trump has been silent on the whole VR/Soros connection. The minute VR becomes an actual threat that will change and Trump will be labelling Vivek as a Soros plant...

That isn't really true. The attempt is to force it into public schools, where it doesn't belong, not to mention legislation. Indiana has a 'candidate' for Lt. Governor (it's not an elected position) who is 'running' as a Christian Nationalist. So what? That’s Indiana and that’s why we’re flyover country. It’s not anywhere near a real issue. There is zero consequence for not believing in god.

I don't know why you'd talk about it at work, let alone make it an issue. It probably depends on if the person is an a$$hole or not. I work in a building with close to 6,000 people, and as little as it's even mentioned, let alone discussed, I've never felt the urge to interject in either direction. I agree with you but you know what would happen if, at a mandatory DEI indoctrination, you refused to attend or asked questions that were deemed to be *gasp* violence.

They aren't being programmed that. There are people who want you to believe that, but that isn't close to what is happening. You have kids?

It only makes you self-marginalized if you think uplifting others somehow reduces you.

Just because you don't believe the xenophobia being put forth doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Debated this crap back in 2016, and to that point the numbers showed crime rate among illegal immigrants were lower than most demographics. Im talking about the nonsense race card lazy argument about brown people. How many people are crossing the northern border illegally each year vs the southern border? Is this really something you want to debate? It’s lazy race baiting. If that’s you - you do you. I won’t.

Aren't we among the largest non-communists countries in the world? It seems logical. Want to see what poverty is America looks like compared to LMICs? Do you travel abroad much? I live out of a suitcase.

To me welfare would be more of a merit system, aimed at self-sufficiency. I know that's the end goal, but there are too many leaks in the system. Easing out of criminalizing drugs would help some of this. It's bad enough people fight addiction, they have to also fight a record. Agreed

Not sure his point on this, so mostly just guessing.

HIs notion that 18-25 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote unless they can pass a civics test is moronic. I’d love for it to be true but yes we agree it’s a moronic thing to say if you want to be a serious candidate.
Back in bold.

That isn't really true. The attempt is to force it into public schools, where it doesn't belong, not to mention legislation. Indiana has a 'candidate' for Lt. Governor (it's not an elected position) who is 'running' as a Christian Nationalist. So what? That’s Indiana and that’s why we’re flyover country. It’s not anywhere near a real issue. There is zero consequence for not believing in god.
Again, if it starts to sink into legislation, then it's a problem. If religious freedom starts to override other freedoms or leads to protected discrimination, then it's a problem.

I don't know why you'd talk about it at work, let alone make it an issue. It probably depends on if the person is an a$$hole or not. I work in a building with close to 6,000 people, and as little as it's even mentioned, let alone discussed, I've never felt the urge to interject in either direction. I agree with you but you know what would happen if, at a mandatory DEI indoctrination, you refused to attend or asked questions that were deemed to be *gasp* violence.

Why would I refuse to attend work mandated meeting?

A person in that situation has to measure that up on his/her beliefs. Part of it could DEI is butting up against a person's prejudices or outright bigotry. I'm not fully on board the whole of equity, but I understand why it's there.

The idea would be greater equality from the start to establish levels of expectations of results and accountability, allowing for similar opportunities for success/equity or tangible reasons why it didn't happen. It won't necessarily stop prejudices from getting in the way, and it also won't stop all those thinking there are forces against them. A business or school can only try.

They aren't being programmed that. There are people who want you to believe that, but that isn't close to what is happening. You have kids?
No.

Don't get presumptuous on me though. It won't go the direction you think it will.

Just because you don't believe the xenophobia being put forth doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Debated this crap back in 2016, and to that point the numbers showed crime rate among illegal immigrants were lower than most demographics. Im talking about the nonsense race card lazy argument about brown people. How many people are crossing the northern border illegally each year vs the southern border? Is this really something you want to debate? It’s lazy race baiting. If that’s you - you do you. I won’t.
You're talking about the number who cross. I'm talking about the characteristics assigned to them. I'm not accusing you of caring about their race or nationality. I'm just noting it's a huge part of the outcry. Trump calling them rapists, murderers and drug dealers. Meanwhile, the first two aren't true when compared to crime rates overall, and the last one is immaterial, as we know far more drugs come through our ports than through our border.

Aren't we among the largest non-communists countries in the world? It seems logical. Want to see what poverty is America looks like compared to LMICs? Do you travel abroad much? I live out of a suitcase.
We shouldn't feel good about how we handle our poor and homeless just because we're better than 2nd or 3rd world countries, or treat them better than oppressive regimes.

It's like someone comparing US's gun violence to a third world country, concluding we're not so bad after all.
HIs notion that 18-25 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote unless they can pass a civics test is moronic. I’d love for it to be true but yes we agree it’s a moronic thing to say if you want to be a serious candidate.
Yet again, it seems a fringe right candidate only cares about the 2nd Amendment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT