stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
My letter to ‘Breaking Bad’ star Bryan Cranston
By: Jason Whitlock
February 28, 2023

Dear Bryan Cranston:

My childhood was great. We lived in the ghetto. Hope and joy filled the tiny apartment I shared with my brother and mother after my parents divorced.

High school was even better. I captained a nationally ranked, undefeated football team. My senior year, I shared a one-bedroom, 400-square-foot apartment with my dad.
I earned a football scholarship to Ball State University. The five years spent on campus comprise many of my fondest memories. I would do those five years over and over again until eternity.

The two decades I spent as a newspaper journalist in Bloomington, Indiana; Rock Hill, South Carolina; Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Kansas City, Missouri, were tremendous. I started at the bottom, working part-time for $5 an hour, and became one of the most successful sports writers of my era.
America was great for me from 1967 until about 2012.

I’m black. Both my parents are black. Their parents were black, too. I’m 55 years old. When I hear former President Donald Trump and his supporters say “make America great again,” I don’t interpret that nostalgia as subtle or overt racism. I hear it as a call for a return to sanity, a return to a time when America at least pretended to judge man by the content of his character.
Bryan, I saw some of your interview with CNN’s Chris Wallace, the exchange where you claimed the slogan “Make America Great Again” is some sort of bigoted dog whistle.
You said, “When I see ‘Make America Great Again,’ my comment is, ‘Do you accept that that could possibly be construed as a racist remark?’”
Chris Wallace should have stopped you right there. Only someone on a 24/7/365 hunt for racism would hear that slogan and think it’s racist in nature. Bill Clinton said the exact same thing in 1991 when he launched his bid to win the White House. Clinton is fondly referred to as the “first black president.”
Clinton was not and is not black. He’s a stereotypical politician, a man unafraid to distort reality for his own benefit. To you, once Trump adopted the slogan, MAGA became a Confederacy code word.

Bryan, you and Bill Clinton are both actors. You feign concern for black people while seducing us with lies. Your statements to Chris Wallace come off as condescending and racist.

You continued: “A lot of people go, ‘How could that be racist, to make America great again?’ I said, ‘So just ask yourself from an African-American experience: When was it ever great in America for the African-American? So if you’re making it great again, it’s not including them.’”

Bryan, as of 2020, roughly one in ten black people living in America migrated from Africa. That’s 10%. In 1980, it was only 3%. So the plight of black people in America is so miserable that real black Africans are choosing to immigrate to this country by choice, not by slave ship.
America is and has been the safest, most prosperous, most opportunity-rich land for black people for the last 60 years. That’s why Africans and other black people from around the globe choose to relocate here. They want what I experienced in the 1970s, '80s, '90s, and 2000s: freedom and opportunity derived from the greatest constitution ever written.

They have no interest in debating whether men have periods or can get pregnant. They want to compete on the most level playing field in the world.

They may not be Christians, but they want what Christianity created.

America stopped being great a decade ago. Social media accelerated American culture’s descent into wokeness and secularism. America turned demonstrably hostile to a biblical worldview and patriarchal leadership. It prioritized victimhood over victory. It stopped pursuing equality of opportunity in favor of equality of outcome.
Equity is the gateway drug to mass corruption. Equity fuels entitlement. It sends people on a search to discover what makes them worthy of special consideration. Equity is at the root of identity politics, gender dysphoria, and racial division. Equity is Utopia’s bible.
Utopia is the left’s favorite nonsensical conspiracy theory. They’re determined to create it around the world.

Bryan, you don’t believe black people can compete in the system George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin designed. You babbled at the beginning of your rant as if America’s Founding Fathers invented slavery. They inherited the planet-long institution and wrote a constitution that made its demise inevitable.
Their foresight and the sacrifice of many others over two centuries made America great. Not perfect. Great.
I lived in that America. I was raised to believe I could accomplish anything I wanted here. My dad didn’t graduate high school. My mom was a factory worker. Union labor and manufacturing jobs made it possible for them to raise two boys who achieved parts of the American dream. My brother joined the Air Force, graduated from college, has been married for over 20 years, and owns a nice home in a nice neighborhood.
Many people want that America back, a country that allows two parents with nothing more than a good work ethic to lift their children to a better life. Life doesn’t get any better than that.
Instead, manufacturing jobs have left this country and America caters to global corporations that favor China and a Marxist worldview. America cares far more about what’s best for elite celebrities than for working-class families.

That frustration is at the root of the MAGA movement. It’s willful ignorance to pretend otherwise.

Oh Whitlock, you took the “letter to the editor” thing a bit too far.

So as to care about the substance of anything Whitlock writes, I say only this. He sits here and berates a man for having an opinion that differs from him.

Whitlock taking something as a personal affront which grants him license to tear into left wing celebrities who have no idea who he is and who weren’t talking to him, is his bread and butter. He’s adopted the grievance griping bullshit about as well as anybody outside of Clay Travis.

So as to care about the substance of anything Whitlock writes, I say only this. He sits here and berates a man for having an opinion that differs from him.

Whitlock taking something as a personal affront which grants him license to tear into left wing celebrities who have no idea who he is and who weren’t talking to him, is his bread and butter. He’s adopted the grievance griping bullshit about as well as anybody outside of Clay Travis.
The left and their BS gets old. Only someone with a mental illness could tear that letter apart. No worries, your world is coming and unfortunately my kids and grandkids will have to suffer through it.

Listen friend. You’re like a cop in an outlaw motorcycle gang bar. This is a dream team thread. There’s an exit in back

If you see racism in the slogan “make America great again” it’s because you want to see racism in it.

There’s nothing inherently racist about it.

I agree with him on that.

I've always wondered, and this is purely for discussion with no malice behind it, but which part of American history are we trying to go back to since he took office in 2016?

Reactions: Bowlmania
I've always wondered, and this is purely for discussion with no malice behind it, but which part of American history are we trying to go back to since he took office in 2016?
Trump's big on the '40s and '50s. In an interview with the New York Times in 2016, when asked the last time he believed the US was "great," he said: "I would say during the 1940s and the late ’40s and ‘50s we started getting, we were not pushed around, we were respected by everybody, we had just won a war, we were pretty much doing what we had to do, yeah around that period.”

His pop culture references (e.g. Donna Reed, movies like Gone with the Wind and Sunset Boulevard) usually pertain to people and events from 60+ years ago.

Of course there were plenty of problems back then, but everything was swept under the rug. Women on TV sitcoms vacuumed in heels and pearls, and the big "problems" portrayed were things like the Beaver giving himself a bad haircut.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Trump's big on the '40s and '50s. In an interview with the New York Times in 2016, when asked the last time he believed the US was "great," he said: "I would say during the 1940s and the late ’40s and ‘50s we started getting, we were not pushed around, we were respected by everybody, we had just won a war, we were pretty much doing what we had to do, yeah around that period.”

His pop culture references (e.g. Donna Reed, movies like Gone with the Wind and Sunset Boulevard) usually pertain to people and events from 60+ years ago.

Of course there were plenty of problems back then, but everything was swept under the rug. Women on TV sitcoms vacuumed in heels and pearls, and the big "problems" portrayed were things like the Beaver giving himself a bad haircut.
Heres what he wrote in the letter above...

America is and has been the safest, most prosperous, most opportunity-rich land for black people for the last 60 years. That’s why Africans and other black people from around the globe choose to relocate here. They want what I experienced in the 1970s, '80s, '90s, and 2000s: freedom and opportunity derived from the greatest constitution ever written.

Their foresight and the sacrifice of many others over two centuries made America great. Not perfect. Great.
I lived in that America. I was raised to believe I could accomplish anything I wanted here. My dad didn’t graduate high school. My mom was a factory worker. Union labor and manufacturing jobs made it possible for them to raise two boys who achieved parts of the American dream. My brother joined the Air Force, graduated from college, has been married for over 20 years, and owns a nice home in a nice neighborhood.
Many people want that America back, a country that allows two parents with nothing more than a good work ethic to lift their children to a better life. Life doesn’t get any better than that.
Instead, manufacturing jobs have left this country and America caters to global corporations that favor China and a Marxist worldview. America cares far more about what’s best for elite celebrities than for working-class families.

Did you read the letter?
I did. Not that I agree with all of it, but he should have stopped here:
They want what I experienced in the 1970s, '80s, '90s, and 2000s: freedom and opportunity derived from the greatest constitution ever written.
After that, he veered into culture war talking points and it turned into a predictable political rant.

I assume when people were skinnier, less depressed, less likely to OD, and be prescribed to prescription drugs?

Serious answer, It’s a campaign slogan. Most people are nostalgic of the past when they are older. I have always assumed because it sucks being old 🫣

Any fair minded person knows it’s not about longing for racism. It’s about patriotism, self responsibility, hard work, doing better than your parents, the “American Dream”.
It’s an appeal to nostalgia. It means different things to different people. To some small percentage of people it may actually appeal to their unjustified find memories of the Jim Crow era, but to most it’s just memories of what they thought were simpler and less conflicted times such as during their youth, whenever that was.

Last edited:
Did you read the letter?

I did.

What was going on back then that was so much better that's not happening now?

Were woman better off 40-60 years ago? We black folks better off 40-60 years ago?

I understand I have a pretty good life. Can my 16 year old not accomplish the life she doesn't want to accomplish if she works hard? He said he did when he was growing up. Why can't she.

Everything else is pure political bull. Most everyone I talk to in my daily life doesn't talk that way. They don't care about trans people or pronouns. They don't care what the new boogeyman is of the month. If you ask the average person on the street what woke meant, they couldn't define what it meant. People are turning off Fox and CNN because it's all propaganda for both sides. It's not news, it's to rile up their respective bases.

There is things that America needs to work on, but we've made great strides along through the years, learning from our mistakes of the past. Going backwards isn't the way to go, forward is.

That is a good question but for the most part I think it is looking back to the days when people respected other people's opinions, worked hard, were responsible for themselves, etc. I think pre-social media was a better time myself.

On a side note? For Mcm66 it was when he was married. 🤣 🤣 🤣

I did.

Were woman better off 40-60 years ago? We black folks better off 40-60 years ago?

I understand I have a pretty good life. Can my 16 year old not accomplish the life she doesn't want to accomplish if she works hard? He said he did when he was growing up. Why can't she.

Everything else is pure political bull. Most everyone I talk to in my daily life doesn't talk that way. They don't care about trans people or pronouns. They don't care what the new boogeyman is of the month. If you ask the average person on the street what woke meant, they couldn't define what it meant. People are turning off Fox and CNN because it's all propaganda for both sides. It's not news, it's to rile up their respective bases.

There is things that America needs to work on, but we've made great strides along through the years, learning from our mistakes of the past. Going backwards isn't the way to go, forward is.
i think i could make a compelling argument life was better then. simpler. more affordable. better opportunities. i think technology has improved many things but largely made our quality of life worse. as for blacks and women etc title vii was getting going and improvements were coming.

i think we're approaching an inflection point as a country. when flyover country has $750,000 1,300 square foot houses and the average new car is 50k we've got problems.

A black man rises from poverty can't express his disgust at a white liberal who pretends to speak for him?

It’s only about racism for those who really want to make it about racism.

There’s nothing racist about the phrase.

It’s a political slogan.
No, you can't long for anything related to you personally unless everything else in the world is perfect.

A black man rises from poverty can't express his disgust at a white liberal who pretends to speak for him?

We agree. There is no one more capable of detecting racism than a white liberal. Bing and I have talked about this over a scotch, or a few, and he essentially says it’s like white liberals think blacks need white saviors. I believe it’s safe to say he’s not a fan of white liberals with finely tuned racism detectors that can detect racism better than black persons. And Bing is a solid Dem.

Sorry Bing if I’m misstating our discussions, but I’m pretty sure you’ve posted something along those lines here in the past.

The ones who want to make it about racism when Trump said it really don’t want to make it about racism when slick Willy said it.

So it’s different, you see.
Maybe because people judge intent based on other comments that person has made.

Someone with a history of making racist comments is not going to get much benefit of the doubt on other comments and what they meant. Plus, when trump has a lot of white supremacists cheering him on while waving confederate flags, it kind of solidifies the idea of what Trump really meant by MAGA.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
i think i could make a compelling argument life was better then. simpler. more affordable. better opportunities. i think technology has improved many things but largely made our quality of life worse. as for blacks and women etc title vii was getting going and improvements were coming.

i think we're approaching an inflection point as a country. when flyover country has $750,000 1,300 square foot houses and the average new car is 50k we've got problems.
I’m having difficulty understanding why guys have an issue with a woman vacuuming in nothing but heels and pearls.

Last edited:
We agree. There is no one more capable of detecting racism than a white liberal. Bing and I have talked about this over a scotch, or a few, and he essentially says it’s like white liberals think blacks need white saviors. I believe it’s safe to say he’s not a fan of white liberals with finely tuned racism detectors that can detect racism better than black persons. And Bing is a solid Dem.

Sorry Bing if I’m misstating our discussions, but I’m pretty sure you’ve posted something along those lines here in the past.
Yep, it's like they they think that blacks are incapable of taking care of themselves and competing on a level playing field. I know better because I worked with enough blacks to know they can hold their own. My wife worked with a local high school as an outreach for the company she worked for and she was so disappointed for one of the young black students that she dealt with. She talked about how intelligent he was and could get a free ride scholarshi but his parents wanted him to stay home and work to help out.

I did.

Blacks were only one out of 10 Americans. To imply racism is a reach albeit typical

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Maybe because people judge intent based on other comments that person has made.

Someone with a history of making racist comments is not going to get much benefit of the doubt on other comments and what they meant. Plus, when trump has a lot of white supremacists cheering him on while waving confederate flags, it kind of solidifies the idea of what Trump really meant by MAGA.
Why was Trump loved by race pimps like Sharpton and liberal whites until he ran for president as a Republican?

Why was Trump loved by race pimps like Sharpton and liberal whites until he ran for president as a Republican?
Simple. He duped them into thinking he was one of them, the same as he’s since duped Trumpsters and other self-identified Republicans into thinking he’s one of them. He’s a conman. He’s only about himself and doing things to further enrich himself. Nothing more.

Your guess is as good as mine but lumping all liberal whites together and pretending they loved him before is a stretch.

Most liberals and most people in general were likely closer to indifferent than anything else since Trump wasn't active in politics. He was nothing but a random rich dude to the majority of people back then.

So what are your feelings about a self proclaimed dem all of his life pretending all of a sudden to be a republican?

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Your guess is as good as mine but lumping all liberal whites together and pretending they loved him before is a stretch.

Most liberals and most people in general were likely closer to indifferent than anything else since Trump wasn't active in politics. He was nothing but a random rich dude to the majority of people back then.

So what are your feelings about a self proclaimed dem all of his life pretending all of a sudden to be a republican?
He was more than a passing acquaintance of the Clintons. They considered themselves friends. The friendship soured. ;)

He was more than a passing acquaintance of the Clintons. They considered themselves friends. The friendship soured. ;)

True. Some liberals obviously were friends with him but may have had as much to do with lifestyles of the rich and famous as it did with political leanings.

Stoll referred to all white liberals so I was just saying the average liberal would have likely been indifferent. I was careful not to use the word all

Back then it wasn't abnormal for politicians on different sides of the aisle to be friends outside of work.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT