ADVERTISEMENT

Read this while eating breakfast this morning

You asked why people thought differently of him once he ran for President. May have had something to do with multiple things, including his first week in office implementing his Muslim ban, to start with. Running for office , calling Hispanics racists and thugs, shithole countries, etc. I could give you more…
There was no Muslim ban it was a ban on certain countries hostile to the U.S., he said that some of the people coming across the southern border unimpeded were criminals and rapists (verifiably true), and he said there are shithole countries...crude, but also not a false statement.

The problem with the left's Trump obsession is that you guys overinflate everything he does or says to make your point. The Donald would probably categorize Moldova as a shit hole country and Dubai as a nice one. Not everything is race.

You can criticize exactly what he said without pulling the -ist and -phobe cards all the time. Racism and racist are so diluted at this point because of how often people cry wolf with those terms. CircleJoe doing it in this thread.

Depends on how you measure it. In some ways yes they are better off and in some ways, no, they are not.

How so?

I'd argue they are better off now in terms of educational opportunities, job opportunities, better living situations due to those jobs and education.

Through the 70s, a woman had no say in jointly owned property, so if a man wanted to sell their home and his wife didn't, guess who won? It wasn't until 74 that a woman could get a credit card.

Well you’re wrong or lying if you say Black people hate Obama. And sorry I don’t believe three people in the same family died immediately after the vax.
Not immediately after and I've told this story b4. You need help. 1 was his dad, 1 was his aunt and 1 was his girlfriend. All vaxed and all died of heart issues without preexisting conditions.

Reactions: Crayfish57
How so?

I'd argue they are better off now in terms of educational opportunities, job opportunities, better living situations due to those jobs and education.

Through the 70s, a woman had no say in jointly owned property, so if a man wanted to sell their home and his wife didn't, guess who won? It wasn't until 74 that a woman could get a credit card.
I am not saying "Yay, discrimination" so let me get that out there. However, despite not having all the opportunity? women do now, women in the 1970's were happier than women today.

For the black community, they had more stable families and communities. They couldn't drink from white fountains but they generally weren't dodging bullets fired by their neighbors. The crime rate really increased from 1960 to 1990. It came down a bit between 1994 and the early 2000's and has been fairly stable since then with increases here and there, but still worse than before.

So it depends on how you look at it. From a rights standpoint, totally better. When you start digging into quality of life measures it gets more murky.

I am not saying "Yay, discrimination" so let me get that out there. However, despite not having all the opportunity? women do now, women in the 1970's were happier than women today.

For the black community, they had more stable families and communities. They couldn't drink from white fountains but they generally weren't dodging bullets fired by their neighbors. The crime rate really increased from 1960 to 1990. It came down a bit between 1994 and the early 2000's and has been fairly stable since then with increases here and there, but still worse than before.

So it depends on how you look at it. From a rights standpoint, totally better. When you start digging into quality of life measures it gets more murky.

That's a interesting article with ideas that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks for that.

@Baller23Boogie I also think that when Clinton and Trump were talking about Making America Great Again that they are thinking more along the lines of the murky things. They don't want to walk back all of the rihhts, but they do want to walk back to a time when the perception, if not always the reality, was that we lived in a safer country that was more economically (or felt more) stable.

We have a bunch of stuff that those people could only dream of but it doesn't seem to have done much to improve how we view our lives or each other. We kind of laugh at shows like Leave it to Beaver but man it would be nice if those things were some of your bigger worries for your kid growing up as opposed to getting shot, overdosing on drugs, cyber bullied into suicide, etc. And we have women in the workforce now but we also almost need Mom to work to just get by. We did not need that when wives were "wearing pearls and vacuuming" (and that wasn't reality either but you get the point).

What makes people happy is freedom to pick. It seems to me like the women's lib movement kind of just pushed women from one paradigm to another (for most) as opposed to offering them a different choice. They were homemakers then and they almost have to work now to live a middle class lifestyle (or support their single parent family). I think they would be more happy if they felt they had a choice in life. Not every woman wants to stay at home and not every woman wants to go work in an office.

I'm with you on a lot of that stuff, but we are never going to get things done, in the case of say gun violence, when we can't even get things done like common sense things like a age limit gun carry in Missouri.

Simple things like that would at least start the process of change, or give the mirage of change, but we can't even get that. How do we fight crime or gun violence when we can't get a age limit on who can carry and who can't?
I don't think (know) if we can legislate ourselves to a better spot on that. Like with guns, we have more rules now than we did then. We are just raising worse citizens....

The only logical way you can legislate to a zero gun violence paradigm is to take then all away. I don't agree we should do that, but it is the logical end point of "we just need one more rule". It is basically the admission that we produce a lower quality American today (on average) and we can't trust them to be responsible anymore.

I don't think (know) if we can legislate ourselves to a better spot on that. Like with guns, we have more rules now than we did then. We are just raising worse citizens....

The only logical way you can legislate to a zero gun violence paradigm is to take then all away. I don't agree we should do that, but it is the logical end point of "we just need one more rule". It is basically the admission that we produce a lower quality American today (on average) and we can't trust them to be responsible anymore.

I don't mean to make this a gun topic, and for the record, I own a couple guns, but the reason I brought up guns and the thing I did was there was a chance to do something about a problem we have in this country that is pretty common sense and instead of common together, one side has to pawn the other. This is just one example and I'm not saying in anyway its the right doing it to the left, if the left has a chance to do it, they'd jump at the chance as well.

That's why I think this whole make America great again slogan is bs because no changes are ever going to be made to make it so all of America feels good about where everyone felt good at the same time.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
And we have women in the workforce now but we also almost need Mom to work to just get by.
I know this is probably a huge left turn in the road, but this made my mind wander a wee bit.

Do you think that women entering the workforce was inflationary or was inflation, that thus would require two incomes, already taking off and accelerated the point?

I know this is probably a huge left turn in the road, but this made my mind wander a wee bit.

Do you think that women entering the workforce was inflationary or was inflation, that thus would require two incomes, already taking off and accelerated the point?
Inflation was always up and down but it was particularly hot in the 1970's. More women working might have played into that a bit but that would probably require more research to prove/disprove so I am just kind of talking out my butt on that (I haven't looked).

I think you are more likely to find that fed monetary policy that wants a little bit of inflation every year is a larger factor.

There was no Muslim ban it was a ban on certain countries hostile to the U.S., he said that some of the people coming across the southern border unimpeded were criminals and rapists (verifiably true), and he said there are shithole countries...crude, but also not a false statement.

The problem with the left's Trump obsession is that you guys overinflate everything he does or says to make your point. The Donald would probably categorize Moldova as a shit hole country and Dubai as a nice one. Not everything is race.

You can criticize exactly what he said without pulling the -ist and -phobe cards all the time. Racism and racist are so diluted at this point because of how often people cry wolf with those terms. CircleJoe doing it in this thread.
That's my girl. She gives "total smoke show" a completely different meaning. Still a hottie though.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Or conservatives could continue on their 24/7/365 search for a black man that also believes in Whitlock’s view of what it’s like to be black in America.
Name a state where a black person has not been elected as mayors or to the state house, or to the courts, or owns/operates businesses worth millions to multiple millions.

Most black citizens have assimilated just fine precisely because MLK won.

But the race hustlers need to create reasons to get that money, so they keep racism alive. The white racist is their meal ticket, the white liberal is their puppet, and their worst enemy is a black family with a father in the home with a degree and a steady job.

Name a state where a black person has not been elected as mayors or to the state house, or to the courts, or owns/operates businesses worth millions to multiple millions.

Most black citizens have assimilated just fine precisely because MLK won.

But the race hustlers need to create reasons to get that money, so they keep racism alive. The white racist is their meal ticket, the white liberal is their puppet, and their worst enemy is a black family with a father in the home with a degree and a steady job.
I respect your opinion and was just messing with you last night. Apologies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT