ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Loaded in the Future

very stupid comment.
Stupid with accuracy. Rob has a two to one assist to turnover ratio which is not great for a player thats been playing as long as he has at IU. He plays almost four times as many minutes as lander. Lander has a .8 assist to .6 turnovers in one fourth the minutes. I don’t know if you watch games or if you’ve played but his passing is not at the level of a five star recruit. Perhaps he will get scary good as he learns and ages but to crack on Rob’s passing and then hype lander as something better is ridiculous.

With some more reasonably successful coaches over the past 20 years we could be five spots higher. IU's status has been allowed to erode over the last 20 years.
Next question, which direction will the IU admin take for future. Are they satisfied with the past 20 years?

Reactions: .Gerdis
Next question, which direction will the IU admin take for future. Are they satisfied with the past 20 years?

Since Painter became coach in 2005-06 Purdue has won at a . 660 pace and IU at .583. IU’s lead in the all time win’s category has been reduced from 92 to 38.

Wrong: do some research.
Research:

Preeminence
From its onset and at least into the mid-1950s, the NIT was regarded as the most prestigious showcase for college basketball.[7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17] All-American at Princeton and later NBA champion with the New York Knicks and United States Senator Bill Bradley stated:

In the 1940s, when the NCAA tournament was less than 10 years old, the National Invitation Tournament, a saturnalia held in New York at Madison Square Garden by the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Association, was the most glamorous of the post-season tournaments and generally had the better teams. The winner of the National Invitation Tournament was regarded as more of a national champion than the actual, titular, national champion, or winner of the NCAA tournament.
— A Sense of Where You Are: Bill Bradley at Princeton[18]

Not true. Recent mediocre coaches have achieved things at IU that they have not been able to do elsewhere: see Davis at his following stops and Crean at Georgia. Did Nick Saban achieve similar results at Michigan St. and Alabama? How about Bill Self at Illinois and Kansas? IU is the type of program where a great coach can reach the top of college basketball and it is easier to do so. It isn't time, it is the coach.

Sometimes you are up in the rivalry, sometimes you are down. I watched subpar coaches like Mike Davis and Crean go on streaks against PU. It will come back around for PU, it always does. I'd worry about actually being relevant at a national level at any time in history than worrying about IU. Matt Painter, the IU reject, would be fired at any other school worth a damn for his results.
The denial is strong with this one.

Research:

Preeminence
From its onset and at least into the mid-1950s, the NIT was regarded as the most prestigious showcase for college basketball.[7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17] All-American at Princeton and later NBA champion with the New York Knicks and United States Senator Bill Bradley stated:

THIS Ladies and germs is the foundation...the cornerstone of a PU grad's self esteem. It is taught to them their first week of freshman year during Boiler Gold Rush and it...along with chanting about IU on a daily basis sustains them for a lifetime.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Your probably right. It's also a attitude that won't be recaptured again though. IU will right the ship at some point but it's not going to be for awhile. Painter is only 50 and started coaching at 35 at Purdue. He's obviously in his prime. I honestly can see CAM becoming a very good coach somewhere as he gets more experience. Won't be here . IU needs a home run next hire obviously. Time will tell.
Research:

Preeminence

Once again, you are wrong: keep digging. Check out the teams for both tourney years and dates of NCAA expansion.

The denial is strong with this one.
You mean, pretending to be a program of significance that has ever accomplished something while criticizing other programs that have been significant and have accomplished something? Your coach of 16 years has never been to a FF, and he is an IU reject: go work on that before you criticize your betters.

"Muncie is a short drive northeast of Indianapolis and Painter's goal was to move south to Bloomington when his high school playing days were done. Destiny had other ideas. 'Growing up, I always wanted to play for Bobby Knight at Indiana,' Painter said. 'He recruited me, but did not offer a scholarship. I'd be a liar if I said it didn't break my heart.'"

Last edited:
You mean, pretending to be a program of significance that has ever accomplished something while criticizing other programs that have been significant and have accomplished something? Your coach of 16 years has never been to a FF, and he is an IU reject: go work on that before you criticize your betters.

"Muncie is a short drive northeast of Indianapolis and Painter's goal was to move south to Bloomington when his high school playing days were done. Destiny had other ideas. 'Growing up, I always wanted to play for Bobby Knight at Indiana,' Painter said. 'He recruited me, but did not offer a scholarship. I'd be a liar if I said it didn't break my heart.'"
Get over it! RMK is gone and CMP said who he wanted to play for...not IU, but RMK. CMP has certainly used the coaching styles of both Keady and Knight. If you don't like it, why speak of it? It sounds like bitterness to me.

I think most kids would've loved to play for Knight in his prime. IU was a huge program during that time period, but has gradually declined since his departure.

Get over it! RMK is gone and CMP said who he wanted to play for...not IU, but RMK. CMP has certainly used the coaching styles of both Keady and Knight. If you don't like it, why speak of it? It sounds like bitterness to me.

I think most kids would've loved to play for Knight in his prime. IU was a huge program during that time period, but has gradually declined since his departure.
Matt Painter wanted to play at IU for Bobby Knight: you can't have one without the other.

I don't care to hear about the "state of IU's program" from a PU fan. IU was the #1 program under RMK, and he is on the Mt. Rushmore of college coaches: of course, that is going to be a tough act to follow. PU's program has never been great. There have been 52 teams that have been to the FF since PU last went, including 8 other Big Ten programs: worry about PU. Only PU, Iowa, Penn St., Rutgers, NW, and Nebraska in the BT have not been to a FF since 1980.

Last edited:
Ever since Matt Painter recruited Chris Kramer...who wasn’t good enough for Indiana or any other big ten school...yet would’ve been a Hoosier legend had he played in Bloomington .. he has proved that he recruits not based on some nerds rankings..but on heart and intangibles...and TEAM needs...
I was as happy as any Hoosier fan when Archie started getting Indiana kids but unfortunately Matt painter and other teams continue to get the best team players...
I’m truly surprised he didn’t get Armaan Franklin...a rare Hoosier recruit who is committed to getting better and in the gym shooting FTs while his teammates are playing grand theft auto

Reactions: Bill4411
You think PU's FF drought is funny? I do, too! Good luck with that.

Matt Painter wanted to play at IU for Bobby Knight: you can't have one without the other.

I don't care to hear about the "state of IU's program" from a PU fan. IU was the #1 program under RMK, and he is on the Mt. Rushmore of college coaches: of course, that is going to be a tough act to follow. PU's program has never been great. There have been 52 teams that have been to the FF since PU last went, including 8 other Big Ten programs: worry about PU. Only PU, Iowa, Penn St., Rutgers, NW, and Nebraska in the BT have not been to a FF since 1980.

Oh no, no we won't give in
Let's go living in the past.

Jethro Tull

Ever since Matt Painter recruited Chris Kramer...who wasn’t good enough for Indiana or any other big ten school...yet would’ve been a Hoosier legend had he played in Bloomington .. he has proved that he recruits not based on some nerds rankings..but on heart and intangibles...and TEAM needs...
I was as happy as any Hoosier fan when Archie started getting Indiana kids but unfortunately Matt painter and other teams continue to get the best team players...
I’m truly surprised he didn’t get Armaan Franklin...a rare Hoosier recruit who is committed to getting better and in the gym shooting FTs while his teammates are playing grand theft auto
He tried to get Franklin. Newman and Franklin were never going to the same school. He had them both on a visit to Purdue and like a week later, Franklin committed to iu. I'm guessing Newman gave a verbal commit or made it clear he was going to Purdue.

Covid is the best thing to ever happen to Purdue fans. IU didn’t officially make the tournament and Purdue didn’t officially miss it. Congrats.
200.gif

0 as we would have made it last year had a once in a lifetime pandemic not occurred.
Can't quite understand why people just don't completely throw out last year when considering tournament appearances. THERE WAS NO TOURNAMENT HELD AT ALL. It doesn't count for a streak, it doesn't count against a streak - good or bad streak.

Certainly the powers that be at IU need to be more nuanced in their consideration of last year's (incomplete) final results, but we fans need to focus on being the best fans can be. Such as doing things like discussing and thinking about tonight's game, for example, and directing our positivity to that end, rather than, say, fruitlessly debating a bunch of Purdue fruits, or forming circular firing squads. IU needs every last one of us if they're going to come away with a win in Bloomington this evening.

Can't quite understand why people just don't completely throw out last year when considering tournament appearances. THERE WAS NO TOURNAMENT HELD AT ALL. It doesn't count for a streak, it doesn't count against a streak - good or bad streak.

Certainly the powers that be at IU need to be more nuanced in their consideration of last year's (incomplete) final results, but we fans need to focus on being the best fans can be. Such as doing things like discussing and thinking about tonight's game, for example, and directing our positivity to that end, rather than, say, fruitlessly debating a bunch of Purdue fruits, or forming circular firing squads. IU needs every last one of us if they're going to come away with a win in Bloomington this evening.
Why would we think about tonight’s game? Likely another blowout especially with a frontline player being suspended.

Matt Painter is an IU reject.
Matt Painter would have been fired years ago at any program worth a damn.
Gene Keady had a losing record against IU.
Gene Keady and Matt Painter have never been to a Final Four.
PU is an irrelevant program: never will be relevant.
PU will never win a National Championship.

Matt Painter is an IU reject.
Matt Painter would have been fired years ago at any program worth a damn.
Gene Keady had a losing record against IU.
Gene Keady and Matt Painter have never been to a Final Four.
PU is an irrelevant program: never will be relevant.
PU will never win a National Championship.
Feel better? If not, rewind the vhs and watch highlights from 1987 again.

Reactions: johnboiler123

Agreed. The tournament never happened. What did happen was a conference season, and we finished tied for 10th with a team that swept us . . . convincingly. We basically ran at the back of the pack last year and, as the pace picked up, we fell further behind. That’s what we know occurred, not what we believe would’ve occurred. The former is reality, while the latter is the kind of wishful thinking that defines the program currently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT