ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald comments

Don’t know who the idiot that determined that was. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State from the east. Nebraska who many people have as the favorite to win the west. Northwestern who is the defending west champions. They must not think too highly of Rutgers, Maryland and you guys. Not really a schedule many people lining up to play.

You beat me to it... Anyone saying we have an "easy" schedule simply shows their bias...

Didn't Auburn take a knee to keep from breaking 70 against pu...:confused: I believe they did... Now that was a fun game to watch! Almost as much fun as watching them lose to Eastern Michigan last fall...;)

You beat me to it... Anyone saying we have an "easy" schedule simply shows their bias...

Didn't Auburn take a knee to keep from breaking 70 against pu...:confused: I believe they did... Now that was a fun game to watch! Almost as much fun as watching them lose to Eastern Michigan last fall...;)
Pre-season SOS are pretty much useless, but ...

CBS .. Purdue 9, IU 14 (B1G teams only)
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...igan-wisconsin-facing-incredibly-tough-roads/

ESPN FPI Purdue 24, IU 57 (all teams)
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/sosRemainingRank/order/false

SEC Writer Matt Smith ... Purdue 11, IU 46 (all Power 5)
http://www.southernpigskin.com/sec/2019-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings/

Why would any of these be biased against IU and pro-Purdue? IUs overall SOS gets weighed down by the cupcake pre-season (kinda like RPI back in the day for NCAA bb tourney teams).

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
You beat me to it... Anyone saying we have an "easy" schedule simply shows their bias.

Another fun game to watch was the iu bowl game...:p

After looking through both schedules purdue has a harder non con (still not that hard) but IU has a harder conference schedule. I see the schedules as being pretty even honestly

Topurdue4, do you really think MInny would rather have OSU, UM and MSU vs Rutgers, MD and PSU as their crossovers? Think not.

Don't forget the West hasn't won a title since the current format. Most of the championship games haven't even been close.

As for SOS, sure IU's OOC is poor this season and weighs it down, but in conference, it's the usual top 4 of OSU, MSU, UM, PSU with cross overs vs last year's division winning Northwestern and the current favorite for this year, Nebraska. That's far from 13th out of 14th.

Posted during Tom Allen's remarks at media day (on BTN) at 8:07. Most losses v ranked teams in the last 3 years - IU 13, Arkansas 13, Maryland 12

Isn't that because some of the other teams beat ranked teams some of the time, that's just number of losses to ranked teams?

Look, IU is on the right track, I like the coach and what he is doing from recruiting to making the team tougher. At the end of the day you need to upset someone every year and eventually you will want to start scheduling at least one good opponent pre big 10.

Isn't that because some of the other teams beat ranked teams some of the time, that's just number of losses to ranked teams?

Look, IU is on the right track, I like the coach and what he is doing from recruiting to making the team tougher. At the end of the day you need to upset someone every year and eventually you will want to start scheduling at least one good opponent pre big 10.

With a 9 game conference slate, and no FCS teams anymore, there is zero incentive to schedule anything but layups for those other 3 games. Purdue's OOC schedule will do them no favors this season.

With a 9 game conference slate, and no FCS teams anymore, there is zero incentive to schedule anything but layups for those other 3 games. Purdue's OOC schedule will do them no favors this season.
Purdue is in the West and they miss OSU and UM. They don't have to worry about scheduling cream puffs because they automatically have an easier schedule in their division.

I will admit, however, that playing a tougher nonconference with two P5 teams would probably better prepare them for B1G play than IU playing three layups.

But at the end of the season, it's all about W's, and I'd want every opportunity to get to 6, especially with our brutal schedule.

I am patient enough to wait as this schedule is a brutal for teams like IU. I do think IU should upset a couple of the "big" teams now and then in the mean time. I see IUFB improving and having a good shot of moving up in the B1G if we give them time. I hope this year is the year IU starts improving from being close to winning games.

Football is cruel. There is precious little separating 5 wins from 8. Fans have to patient, and coaches who are working to establish a program that isn't already solidly established don't have a lot of error in the recruiting, development, and winning departments. If you have a bad season in all three categories, it could set you back 3 seasons.

Don’t know who the idiot that determined that was. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State from the east. Nebraska who many people have as the favorite to win the west. Northwestern who is the defending west champions. They must not think too highly of Rutgers, Maryland and you guys. Not really a schedule many people lining up to play.

Gotta be the non-conference games. The B1G is pretty wide open, so there probably isn't much difference there, but some teams have scheduled pretty aggressively in the non-con.

Purdue is in the West and they miss OSU and UM. They don't have to worry about scheduling cream puffs because they automatically have an easier schedule in their division.

I will admit, however, that playing a tougher nonconference with two P5 teams would probably better prepare them for B1G play than IU playing three layups.

But at the end of the season, it's all about W's, and I'd want every opportunity to get to 6, especially with our brutal schedule.

I think this is a bad time for Purdue to be trying to build back the program, because Iowa, Wiscy, and Northwestern aren't going anywhere. Nebraska (though overrated this season, IMO) and Minnesota have very, very capable coaches who could turn the corner before Purdue. It could get rough in the West very quickly.

I agree with your post but for at least this season I will continue to give Purdue credit for pounding Ohio State last year

Gotta be the non-conference games. The B1G is pretty wide open, so there probably isn't much difference there, but some teams have scheduled pretty aggressively in the non-con.
Yeah but if you are trying to build a program like IU you have to go downgrade the out of conference schedule. Especially if you have to play on BIG east. That’s what Howard did at Louisville and Snyder did it at K-State.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Topurdue4, do you really think MInny would rather have OSU, UM and MSU vs Rutgers, MD and PSU as their crossovers? Think not.

Don't forget the West hasn't won a title since the current format. Most of the championship games haven't even been close.

As for SOS, sure IU's OOC is poor this season and weighs it down, but in conference, it's the usual top 4 of OSU, MSU, UM, PSU with cross overs vs last year's division winning Northwestern and the current favorite for this year, Nebraska. That's far from 13th out of 14th.

It does us no favors playing in the East. It’s grueling just about every week. However, I’m almost certain the West has winning record against the East over the last 2-3 years. The West isn’t as bad as we’d like to think.

What’s our record against West opponents recently? 0-3 last year, 1-5 the last 2 years, 2-7 the last 3 years, 3-8 the last four years.

It is stunning to me how bad Indiana University journalism is.

Thanks goodness for BTN.

Go Hoosiers!

Wait, are you fellas talking about that Music City Bowl game where Auburn went up 63-7 early in the 3rd quarter after scoring 9 straight touchdowns on Purdue? On national TV?

And Purdue fans are talking smack?

At least they came out from their hiding places.

After a national embarrassment like that, it’s a wonder they didn’t close their discriminatory Title IX violating football-only facility down completely.

Are they gonna play this year, or did they quit?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Wait, are you fellas talking about that Music City Bowl game where Auburn went up 63-7 early in the 3rd quarter after scoring 9 straight touchdowns on Purdue? On national TV?

After a national embarrassment like that, it’s a wonder they didn’t close their discriminatory Title IX violating football-only facility down completely.

I heard that they were required to field a team this year by the Big Ten offices, supposedly to remain a member in good standing..., but I also heard, on good authority, that they have a running pool going on up there as to which opponent will be the first to break the century mark against pu this year...

Delaney has Nevada... The Head of Officials has Nebraska...;)

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
TV. Good thing. We’d have never heard about it if we had to rely on what passes for journalism.

I’m so embarrassed for Indiana.

And so grateful for football. I go to games, and I believe my eyes. What I read in the newspaper and watch on television news, from supposed journalists, is nothing like what I watch.

Believe your eyes and ears people.

Go Hoosiers!

It will if they win them, or 2 out of 3 of them. It doesn't do a team any good to run into a big time big 10 team after playing patsies either. Iron sharpens iron. It's too big of a wake up call going from lowly recruited OL and DL to suddenly facing 4 and 5 star ridden B1G lines.

If the goal is to squeak your way into a bowl game then yes, 3 patsies is the way to go. If your goal is to compete and sometimes beat the big teams in the conference and earn your way into a bowl vs. scheduling yourself into a bowl then you need at least 1 pre conference foe who will get you ready for the conference.

It was a big time arse kicking, I'm not hiding from it. Shows how far we are from the big time football teams. In a perfect world 6-6 wouldn't make a bowl game IMO.

AND lol at your Title IX comment. I'm sure you are a regular Gloria Allred for women's rights in your spare time.

It will if they win them, or 2 out of 3 of them. It doesn't do a team any good to run into a big time big 10 team after playing patsies either. Iron sharpens iron. It's too big of a wake up call going from lowly recruited OL and DL to suddenly facing 4 and 5 star ridden B1G lines.

If the goal is to squeak your way into a bowl game then yes, 3 patsies is the way to go. If your goal is to compete and sometimes beat the big teams in the conference and earn your way into a bowl vs. scheduling yourself into a bowl then you need at least 1 pre conference foe who will get you ready for the conference.

Purdue went 6-7 last season and barely limped into a bowl game. Squeaking into a bowl game was absolutely their ceiling and they barely got there. IU is in the same spot and the goal for the season is to win 6 and make a bowl. The whole iron sharpens iron sentiment is cute, but neither of our programs are iron right now. Getting to a 3rd straight bowl game for PU would be big for the program. For IU, getting to a bowl game to continue the momentum in recruiting for Allen would also be big. Just having the extra weeks of practice that a bowl game affords is big for both teams.

If PU loses all 3 non-con games, what will you say then? Your conference slate has only 1 guaranteed win and that's at home to Illinois. IU is in the same boat with the only win you can guarantee being at home against Rutgers. In order for both programs to get where they want to be they need to be making bowl games every year. Playing a 9 game conference schedule is all the iron sharpening that either team needs right now. There's no way that Brohm is trying to lock down a multi year deal with TCU. He's probably pissed that he's got to play them at all. IU does have some OOC games coming up in the next few seasons against P5 teams, so we'll see how that pans out soon enough. If I were the AD, I'd have 3 very winnable home games as the OOC schedule every year.

A major reason Purdue fans love Brohm is that he's killed and buried this "Little Ol' Purdue" mentality that used to pervade the entire athletic department (and in more sports than just football).

Brohm has a swagger that even Tiller didn't have. (Tiller still had an inferiority complex when it came to the likes of OSU and Michigan.) Part of that is scheduling tough. If you act like you aren't good enough to expect to beat the likes of TCU and Vandy, it's likely to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I want Purdue to schedule tough opponents every single season. The goal isn't to engineer a backdoor way to a bowl game; the goal is to win the West. (And to fill the stadium every week.)

A major reason Purdue fans love Brohm is that he's killed and buried this "Little Ol' Purdue" mentality that used to pervade the entire athletic department (and in more sports than just football).

Brohm has a swagger that even Tiller didn't have. (Tiller still had an inferiority complex when it came to the likes of OSU and Michigan.) Part of that is scheduling tough. If you act like you aren't good enough to expect to beat the likes of TCU and Vandy, it's likely to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I want Purdue to schedule tough opponents every single season. The goal isn't to engineer a backdoor way to a bowl game; the goal is to win the West. (And to fill the stadium every week.)

11 posts in 11 years. No possible way you have had a worse hot take than this complete garbage right here. Well done brahski. :D:D:D

Reactions: Neildouglass

Boy are you about to be disappointed.

Your hero just had Ball State and Florida Atlantic added to your future schedules (yeah those routine FBS Championship contenders...)...

I believe I read you're facing Indiana State and Connecticut in the near future also...

Smart move on Bobo and the Six Million Dollar man's part given you couldn't handle Eastern Michigan last fall and Auburn just took another knee (during practice) to keep from breaking 100 against your girls...

Don't go away mad kid..., just go away...

Purdue went 6-7 last season and barely limped into a bowl game. Squeaking into a bowl game was absolutely their ceiling and they barely got there. IU is in the same spot and the goal for the season is to win 6 and make a bowl. The whole iron sharpens iron sentiment is cute, but neither of our programs are iron right now. Getting to a 3rd straight bowl game for PU would be big for the program. For IU, getting to a bowl game to continue the momentum in recruiting for Allen would also be big. Just having the extra weeks of practice that a bowl game affords is big for both teams.

If PU loses all 3 non-con games, what will you say then? Your conference slate has only 1 guaranteed win and that's at home to Illinois. IU is in the same boat with the only win you can guarantee being at home against Rutgers. In order for both programs to get where they want to be they need to be making bowl games every year. Playing a 9 game conference schedule is all the iron sharpening that either team needs right now. There's no way that Brohm is trying to lock down a multi year deal with TCU. He's probably pissed that he's got to play them at all. IU does have some OOC games coming up in the next few seasons against P5 teams, so we'll see how that pans out soon enough. If I were the AD, I'd have 3 very winnable home games as the OOC schedule every year.
There are no guaranteed wins for either team. There are games that each team should win, but nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: 76-1

I will still be for a tougher non conference schedule. Better games to go see. Real measuring sticks. Real draw for recruits (don't think they don't know the quality of opponents a team schedules). Brohm has stated from the beginning the plan is for a tougher pre-conference schedule. If you schedule patsies to open the year you get the same thing.....Let's see if this sounds familiar: start out 3-0 or 4-0, lose almost all of your big10 games (except maybe Rutgers and Maryland) because you aren't ready to play a full 4 quarters against big OL and DL.

Going to a 3rd bowl game in a row would be big, but as we saw in our debacle of a bowl game last year it isn't everything. Maybe virtually scheduling a bowl bid will help IU gain momentum making it the right call, but I still think 1 tough game would help move the program forward in the LONG TERM.

Even if we go 1-2 or 0-3 out of the gate I still like playing real football teams. I think it isn't until actually the NEXT level of football for either of our programs you schedule patsies. When 1 loss can derail your season because you are playing for something meaningful.

And if you are looking to put butts in seats, scheduling interesting games is the way to go. I can only go to a few games a year, and I NEVER go to see the weak opponents. What's the draw? Yawn, we won. I would much rather go watch Wisconsin or OSU even though the win chances are small. It's big time football regardless.

I think the link below shows Brohm's desire for better or for worse to scheduling decent pre-conference teams.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/purdue/

Last edited:
I will still be for a tougher non conference schedule. Better games to go see. Real measuring sticks. Real draw for recruits (don't think they don't know the quality of opponents a team schedules). Brohm has stated from the beginning the plan is for a tougher pre-conference schedule. If you schedule patsies to open the year you get the same thing.....Let's see if this sounds familiar: start out 3-0 or 4-0, lose almost all of your big10 games (except maybe Rutgers and Maryland) because you aren't ready to play a full 4 quarters against big OL and DL.

Going to a 3rd bowl game in a row would be big, but as we saw in our debacle of a bowl game last year it isn't everything. Maybe virtually scheduling a bowl bid will help IU gain momentum making it the right call, but I still think 1 tough game would help move the program forward in the LONG TERM.

Even if we go 1-2 or 0-3 out of the gate I still like playing real football teams. I think it isn't until actually the NEXT level of football for either of our programs you schedule patsies. When 1 loss can derail your season because you are playing for something meaningful.

And if you are looking to put butts in seats, scheduling interesting games is the way to go. I can only go to a few games a year, and I NEVER go to see the weak opponents. What's the draw? Yawn, we won. I would much rather go watch Wisconsin or OSU even though the win chances are small. It's big time football regardless.

I think the link below shows Brohm's desire for better or for worse to scheduling decent pre-conference teams.

This is such utter horseshit, and I have a hunch you know it.

IU (and Alabama) has played more Top 5 opponents in the last six years than any other team in the country. IU is tested week in and week out, every year, against the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and MSU and, from a scheduling standpoint, has nothing to prove to anyone. Frankly, I wouldn't care if we scheduled three OOC games against the Little Sisters of the Poor. The goal for IU is to get to six wins and a bowl. Once that happens (this year), recruiting will really take off and you guys will be crying in your beer.

This is such utter horseshit, and I have a hunch you know it.

IU (and Alabama) has played more Top 5 opponents in the last six years than any other team in the country. IU is tested week in and week out, every year, against the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and MSU and, from a scheduling standpoint, has nothing to prove to anyone. Frankly, I wouldn't care if we scheduled three OOC games against the Little Sisters of the Poor. The goal for IU is to get to six wins and a bowl. Once that happens (this year), recruiting will really take off and you guys will be crying in your beer.
Don't look now, but Brohm has already done everything you ever hope to have done:

1. Go bowling
2. Win a bowl
3. Beat Ohio State
4. Top-25 recruiting class

And he's already up to #27/25 this year with several more spots to fill.

https://fbschedules.com/purdue-adds-three-opponents-to-future-football-schedules/

Reality*

Adding Ball State, Miami of Ohio and Florida Atlantic to the lineup isn't anyone else's concept of "making a preconferance schedule tougher" outside of the p u fantasyland...
Everybody has at least 1 of those cupcakes every year. Go have a look at all of the B1G teams non-conference from now until 2024 (as far out as most have full non-conference slates booked) .... how many games vs. P5 opponents:

Purdue 10 (highest)
IU 2 (lowest)

Illinois 4
Iowa 6 (play ISU every year)
Minn 5
Neb 5
NW 5
Wisky 5 (kudos for adding Bama!)
Michigan 6
MSU 4
PSU 6
Mary 5
Rutgers 5
OSU 5

Reactions: boilerHup
Everybody has at least 1 of those cupcakes every year. Go have a look at all of the B1G teams non-conference from now until 2024 (as far out as most have full non-conference slates booked) .... how many games vs. P5 opponents:

Purdue 10 (highest)
IU 2 (lowest)

Illinois 4
Iowa 6 (play ISU every year)
Minn 5
Neb 5
NW 5
Wisky 5 (kudos for adding Bama!)
Michigan 6
MSU 4
PSU 6
Mary 5
Rutgers 5
OSU 5

Congrats on playing Oregon St, Syracuse, Wake, BC and Vanderbilt. (A few multiple times) You dipshits continue to beat your chest though. Kudos for playing ND though.

Reactions: 76-1

I am literally laughing out loud. Such total BS. We are all dumber for having read that garbage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT