ADVERTISEMENT

Post season reflections on program

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
-4 games doubles last year’s win totals, but it was another sad season overall.

-It’s getting so old to have 3-5 games “we could or should have won” but can’t close out. IU could have gone to 2 bowls in a row if they had executed on about 3 plays in 6-8 gams over last two seasons.

-Tom Allen’s enthusiasm is positive overall, but I agree his looking so hyper kinetic on sidelines hurts his ability to look comfortably in control in managing a game effectively, which I think we’ve seen play out.

-Upon seeing OSU’s HC only has a $5M buyout has to be a huge indictment on Dolson & IU in general for agreeing to that deal. (ie If Allen had walked for anything close to a new $25M payout elsewhere , IU could have easily re-loaded on a new coach/staff.)

-I was a big Allen supporter until this season. His stubbornness on Hiller lost me. The bad OL cost them last season, demoralized the defense, potentially caused coach McCollough to leave for ND and showed Allen couldn’t diagnose a serious issue.

-Then this season to lose 7 straight before making a change at QB? Showed Hiller-Esque stubbornness in changing at QB level. And in post PU presser he says “We definitely need to move to mobile QB style moving forward.” He sounds like he is lurching from idea to idea with no actual convictions or plan.

-Refleting on his pat hires: Besides DeBoer & I guess Womack too, who have been home run coaching hires? (And the interim OL coach doesn’t count as that was an emergency favor, NOT a true hire)

-Then ask if has he tried to surround himself with the best & brightest by elevating Sheridan, keeping Hiller (when he fired Sheridan), Witt was a rising DL coach and I like him, but he’d never been a DC prior. Warren seemed like a spectacular misfire and 1-year DC last season. Coach T has been a C- at best STC (after being elevated as a coach from a grad assistant.). This strikes me as a coach who doesn’t want or may not be comfortable or secure enough to have a killer staff of truly proven coaches around him.

-How many times have we heard his post game conferences “We need to finish and that’s on me.” It’s season six!

-Player development HAS to be in question. From Taiwan Mullen, J Williams, entire OL, WR’s, think how many have showed great promise than apear to have regressed or not improved greatly year over year?

The program feels adrift right now which saddens me. It’s an open secret many of us worry “Can we keep” Lucas, McCollough, McCully, Cooper and any other young talents who could seemingly go elsewhere.

The buyout is a noose and/or a crutch right now, because take that away and the analysis of Allen would seemingly be different and maybe IU is going after a Matt Ruhl type hire.

I admit I am frustrated now. I do think a coach with a plan and experience winning elsewhere could win at IU. I think a great coach with Allen as DC only could have worked., but Allen seems still over his head as HC. And to think he has that buyout really says a lot about poor management that got IU in this situation now.

May the NIL keep growing, Allen get some guidance and transfer portal be kind to us this off-season. I still love IU FB, but it can sure be a painful relationship at times!

A

-It’s getting so old to have 3-5 games “we could or should have won” but can’t close out. IU could have gone to 2 bowls in a row if they had executed on about 3 plays in 6-8 gams over last two seasons.

-Tom Allen’s enthusiasm is positive overall, but I agree his looking so hyper kinetic on sidelines hurts his ability to look comfortably in control in managing a game effectively, which I think we’ve seen play out.

-Upon seeing OSU’s HC only has a $5M buyout has to be a huge indictment on Dolson & IU in general for agreeing to that deal. (ie If Allen had walked for anything close to a new $25M payout elsewhere , IU could have easily re-loaded on a new coach/staff.)

-I was a big Allen supporter until this season. His stubbornness on Hiller lost me. The bad OL cost them last season, demoralized the defense, potentially caused coach McCollough to leave for ND and showed Allen couldn’t diagnose a serious issue.

-Then this season to lose 7 straight before making a change at QB? Showed Hiller-Esque stubbornness in changing at QB level. And in post PU presser he says “We definitely need to move to mobile QB style moving forward.” He sounds like he is lurching from idea to idea with no actual convictions or plan.

-Refleting on his pat hires: Besides DeBoer & I guess Womack too, who have been home run coaching hires? (And the interim OL coach doesn’t count as that was an emergency favor, NOT a true hire)

-Then ask if has he tried to surround himself with the best & brightest by elevating Sheridan, keeping Hiller (when he fired Sheridan), Witt was a rising DL coach and I like him, but he’d never been a DC prior. Warren seemed like a spectacular misfire and 1-year DC last season. Coach T has been a C- at best STC (after being elevated as a coach from a grad assistant.). This strikes me as a coach who doesn’t want or may not be comfortable or secure enough to have a killer staff of truly proven coaches around him.

-How many times have we heard his post game conferences “We need to finish and that’s on me.” It’s season six!

-Player development HAS to be in question. From Taiwan Mullen, J Williams, entire OL, WR’s, think how many have showed great promise than apear to have regressed or not improved greatly year over year?

The program feels adrift right now which saddens me. It’s an open secret many of us worry “Can we keep” Lucas, McCollough, McCully, Cooper and any other young talents who could seemingly go elsewhere.

The buyout is a noose and/or a crutch right now, because take that away and the analysis of Allen would seemingly be different and maybe IU is going after a Matt Ruhl type hire.

I admit I am frustrated now. I do think a coach with a plan and experience winning elsewhere could win at IU. I think a great coach with Allen as DC only could have worked., but Allen seems still over his head as HC. And to think he has that buyout really says a lot about poor management that got IU in this situation now.

May the NIL keep growing, Allen get some guidance and transfer portal be kind to us this off-season. I still love IU FB, but it can sure be a painful relationship at times!
All real concerns. I just don’t have confidence in his decision making. Yesterday really laid out what is fundamentally wrong with this program. We have no identity. It’s was the 2nd season in a row where, when we have to go to the backup QB, the offense has to completely change. Williams is more runner than passer, yet Bazelak can’t run at all. Last season when McCulley came in, he couldn’t throw the ball downfield whereas before we were throwing a ton with Penix and Tuttle, Which begs the question, what the hell are we trying to accomplish offensively?? Why was Bazelak brought in given his limited mobility and knowing the OL was a serious question?? Couple that with the lack of player development like you mentioned, there’s very little reason to think it will turn around. The buyout is likely going to keep this as is. They’ll try to sell the progress of going from 2 to 4 wins as indications things are on the right track, and those who don’t know better will buy it. But look at our program compared to others in the conference. With the exception of Northwestern and maybe Michigan St, every one else is pointing up. Purdue is in the B1G title game for chrissakes. Allen I think is a good man, but I don’t think he turns this around.

You typically recruit your offense to a scheme. Being we have no identity we can’t do that. We have a hodgepodge of people of differing skill sets who don’t fit together. You should have an identity in year 6 or whatever this is.
The revolving door of assistant coaches has contributed heavily to ir lack of identity, as has CTA’s unwillingness / inability to be more than a defensive coach with the title of Head Coach. When you have as little college experience as he did when he got the job, bringing in assistants is required, though extremely difficult. Not being able to do that effectively has been his downfall.

Reactions: Columbus-Boiler
I will defend IU on the buyout to a degree.

He was coming off a national COY season. I don’t know that somebody would’ve scooped him up, but I understand hedging against a downtrodden blue blood coming in for him without a big buyout.

Ryan Day can have a $1 buyout and be pretty safe at OSU because, 1- he makes bank on his salary and 2-, there isn’t a tier of football schools above OSU.

There’s not one thing to point to with enthusiasm in this moribund program from the un athletic players to the high school quality atmosphere….letting you rival take over your stadium. Good for LEO Allen as he milks another couple of years with low expectations. Honestly seems worse than when I was there in the 80’s

There’s not one thing to point to with enthusiasm in this moribund program from the un athletic players to the high school quality atmosphere….letting you rival take over your stadium. Good for LEO Allen as he milks another couple of years with low expectations. Honestly seems worse than when I was there in the 80’s
I take issue with the stadium comment.

That’s on the fans. It’s like when people freak out about the government letting the Chinese buy farm land. Get pissed at the sellers.

If you want a kickass home field environment, tell your friends to nut up, come to a game, and stay for the whole thing. The school didn’t give away three tix to Purdue fans. IU folks just didn’t buy them.

That’s on the fans. It’s like when people freak out about the government letting the Chinese buy farm land. Get pissed at the sellers.

If you want a kickass home field environment, tell your friends to nut up, come to a game, and stay for the whole thing. The school didn’t give away three tix to Purdue fans. IU folks just didn’t buy them.
We permit and even encourage the open turnstile environment that allows fans to come in and go out at their leisure. If we have an atmospheric problem it’s our own fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMFT

People will show up if the product is decent. They did last year in anticipation of that, and coming off the year before.

He was coming off a national COY season. I don’t know that somebody would’ve scooped him up, but I understand hedging against a downtrodden blue blood coming in for him without a big buyout.

Ryan Day can have a $1 buyout and be pretty safe at OSU because, 1- he makes bank on his salary and 2-, there isn’t a tier of football schools above OSU.

It's just different for OSU than it is for our schools. OSU has leverage because nearly everybody wants that job. They can say "this is the buyout, take it or leave it". We have to hedge against better historical programs coming after our guys with big buyouts to entice them to sign. (or go way beyond what we want to comfortably pay in salary).

Couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Re:the buyout, the same teenage drama queens and kings wringing their hands over how we don’t pay or invest big boy money for football would’ve been crying and pointing fingers if the only coach to take us to consecutive Florida bowl games left because of a lack of commitment from our administration.

Hell, people railed about Sharon Versyp leaving and how we weren’t committed to winning over that situation. Football whining would have been a million times worse.

I like how UM lowered Harbaugh salary and incentivized him to make big (maybe bigger?) money if he won, and he looks to now be going to two straight college playoffs.

If Allen’s buyout was $10M and he got hired elsewhere that $10M would go a long way. Would any college pay a $25M number to buyout even Nick Saban? That’s a ton of money. And with $25M, IU could definitely reload a coaching staff.

Bottom line: We over panicked putting it at $25M, and I do wish right now we could have been in the hunt to be welcoming a Ruhl or Fickell right now.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT

The only real chance I see, and its a very small one, is for him to actually genuinely APOLOGIZE to the fan base and the team, and admit that HE has made mistakes. I don't even think he needs to be specific. Everyone knows where he's screwed up. To me, this is a WWJD moment for someone with true humility. But instead he's going to say something like "We need to take a close look at everything within the program. I'm the head guy and it's on me". As you said, that's essentially meaningless at this point.

I like how UM lowered Harbaugh salary and incentivized him to make big (maybe bigger?) money if he won, and he looks to now be going to two straight college playoffs.

If Allen’s buyout was $10M and he got hired elsewhere that $10M would go a long way. Would any college pay a $25M number to buyout even Nick Saban? That’s a ton of money. And with $25M, IU could definitely reload a coaching staff.

Bottom line: We over panicked putting it at $25M, and I do wish right now we could have been in the hunt to be welcoming a Ruhl or Fickell right now.
I'd settle for Leonard from Wisconsin.

See my post above. I'm not a Hairbaugh fan but accepting the pay cut was essentially an apology for underachieving. CTA should absolutely do the same thing, but won't.

Re:the buyout, the same teenage drama queens and kings wringing their hands over how we don’t pay or invest big boy money for football would’ve been crying and pointing fingers if the only coach to take us to consecutive Florida bowl games left because of a lack of commitment from our administration.

Hell, people railed about Sharon Versyp leaving and how we weren’t committed to winning over that situation. Football whining would have been a million times worse.
As to your paragraph #1, why is it that no other traditionally bad program in CF that had 1-2 good years has a $25M buyout? There was an article on this forum that listed 4-5 college coaches with the biggest buyouts....except for CTA, the others were Guys like Saban and Dabo. Hell, even Nebraska had a lower buyout with their boy wonder Scott Frost. They could have dumped him for $7M had they waited until the end of the year.

Our situation, sadly, is most like MSU's. Two over-rated coaches who struck it rich because their ADs didn't understand college football and lacked the confidence/experience/knowledge to negotiate a reasonable contract.

As to your paragraph #1, why is it that no other traditionally bad program in CF that had 1-2 good years has a $25M buyout? There was an article on this forum that listed 4-5 college coaches with the biggest buyouts....except for CTA, the others were Guys like Saban and Dabo. Hell, even Nebraska had a lower buyout with their boy wonder Scott Frost. They could have dumped him for $7M had they waited until the end of the year.

Our situation, sadly, is most like MSU's. Two over-rated coaches who struck it rich because their ADs didn't understand college football and lacked the confidence/experience/knowledge to negotiate a reasonable contract.
I’ve thought this was a good analogy before when MSU gave new guy $95M over 10 years after really one good year. To all AD’s, don’t panic, incentivize so if they win they will definitely get paid. But if they lose you are not held hostage. Or don’t give the big contract without 3-5 yrs of consistent success.

See my post above. I'm not a Hairbaugh fan but accepting the pay cut was essentially an apology for underachieving. CTA should absolutely do the same thing, but won't.
Completely different situation...Harbaugh wasn't at risk of getting fired. Allen, very much is. I'd say the only thing keeping him at IU right now is his contract. Harbaugh was never in that situation.

Ruhle nor Fickell were ever going to consider IU. One of the things I think we need to accept is how low a profile IU football has with respect to the rest of the P5 world. Think about Duke football, or Kansas football before this year...how crappy do we think those programs are? We're worse. It doesn't have to stay that way, but its where we're at, right now. Fickell and Ruhle would have been on any/all schools candidate list this firing/hiring season. IU wouldn't have made the cut.

Completely different situation...Harbaugh wasn't at risk of getting fired. Allen, very much is. I'd say the only thing keeping him at IU right now is his contract. Harbaugh was never in that situation.

Harbaugh was at risk of getting fired. He had a record near .500 against MSU, and not only had never beaten OSU; UM wasn't even competitive in the games. The Michigan fanbase was very disgruntled.

Harbaugh's head may not have been resting on the chopping block, but nothing about his situation was comfortable.

Allen has at least one more year before being at risk due to the contract and IU reluctance to spend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT