ADVERTISEMENT

Keep Allen

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
I’ve talked it through in my head.
The Mark Stoops comparison below convinced me to convince myself.

We are not a “have.” We are a “have not.”
We cannot rebuild as if we WERE a “have.”
We must protect our foundation - when we have one - more than most.

Stoops:

In his 10th season at Kentucky.
Kentucky has a small population and fights Louisville for in-state talent.
Kentucky is in the SEC and usually has 4-5 games equal to our Big 3.
Broke Bryant’s record of 60 wins at Kentucky this year and is now their all-time winning coach.
Stoops roots are in Youngstown, Ohio.
Played at Iowa.
Kentucky is his first HC job after 22 years on HS and college staffs on defense.
His first 3 years he went 12-24.
He is 53-33 since then, with 1 losing season since then (Covid 2020, 5-6 with a bowl loss).
He is the first Kentucky coach to coach a 10th season.
AD Mitch Barnhart fired Guy Morriss after he went 7-5 his second year after Air Raid Mumme. People were shocked but he wanted his mentor from Oregon State - Rich Brooks. He kept Brooks after 3 losing seasons when the fans wanted him gone, and Brooks then had 4 straight winning seasons. Foundational. Joker Phillips went 11-14, then 2-10 (13-24) and got fired in 3. Barnhart then kept Stoops when the fans wanted him gone at 12-24. They suffered 5 straight losing seasons, then got 53 wins.

Allen spent 24 years getting to his first HC job.
He went 10-14, then 8-5 for 18-19 in his first 3.
6-2 in 2020 made him 24-21 after 4, with a COY and 2 great hires (Deboer and Wommack).
2-10 made him 26-31.
4 or 5 wins this year.
I suspect Barnhart would keep Allen.
I expect Dolson will keep him and other staff changes will come Sunday.
Just a comparative guess.

End of the day, Allen has been responsible for success using Wilson’s player foundation and his own hires and his own early recruits, followed by 2 turds. He is the bird in the hand When open season portal hunting for recruits has taken over, and is still being massaged. So the question is can you be certain to do better in the current market? Will the next 3 be foundation BUILDING or letting Allen use his own launchpad, to the extent one is left after 6-11 or 7-10?

At Michigan you fire Allen, because you KNOW coaching talent will pour in to pick from.
At Indiana, you keep him and get him as much coal for the fire as you can - staff and roster.

Yes, reasonable minds can differ.
But after watching Pont through Wilson, THIS is the hill I’m willing to die on.

He isnt perfect.
Rah Rah wears thin quick and his has now rubbed me the wrong way and failed to sustain winning.
Let’s hope he tones down the feelings and ramps up the football fundamentals.

Anyway, when Dolson calls me (which he won’t) I’ll tell him to pour money into football NIL and staff salary and recruiting and become the Candy-Striped Fighting Indiana Hoosier Bison - the most powerful beast of the plains - immovable and unstoppable, led by Coach Tom All-in.

giphy.gif

Stoops:

Broke Bryant’s record of 60 wins at Kentucky this year and is now their all-time winning coach.
Played at Iowa.
Kentucky is his first HC job after 22 years on HS and college staffs on defense.
He is 53-33 since then, with 1 losing season since then (Covid 2020, 5-6 with a bowl loss).
AD Mitch Barnhart fired Guy Morriss after he went 7-5 his second year after Air Raid Mumme. People were shocked but he wanted his mentor from Oregon State - Rich Brooks. He kept Brooks after 3 losing seasons when the fans wanted him gone, and Brooks then had 4 straight winning seasons. Foundational. Joker Phillips went 11-14, then 2-10 (13-24) and got fired in 3. Barnhart then kept Stoops when the fans wanted him gone at 12-24. They suffered 5 straight losing seasons, then got 53 wins.

6-2 in 2020 made him 24-21 after 4, with a COY and 2 great hires (Deboer and Wommack).
2-10 made him 26-31.
4 or 5 wins this year.

End of the day, Allen has been responsible for success using Wilson’s player foundation and his own hires and his own early recruits, followed by 2 turds. He is the bird in the hand When open season portal hunting for recruits has taken over, and is still being massaged. So the question is can you be certain to do better in the current market? Will the next 3 be foundation BUILDING or letting Allen use his own launchpad, to the extent one is left after 6-11 or 7-10?

At Michigan you fire Allen, because you KNOW coaching talent will pour in to pick from.
At Indiana, you keep him and get him as much coal for the fire as you can - staff and roster.

He isnt perfect.
Rah Rah wears thin quick and his has now rubbed me the wrong way and failed to sustain winning.

Anyway, when Dolson calls me (which he won’t) I’ll tell him to pour money into football NIL and staff salary and recruiting and become the Candy-Striped Fighting Indiana Hoosier Bison - the most powerful beast of the plains - immovable and unstoppable, led by Coach Tom All-in.

giphy.gif
Here's my full analysis:

$25.5 million buyout = of course he will be back for 2023.

good argument but is he capable of learning from his mistakes??

i wonder

doesn't seem so and at IU he'll never have much margin for error
This is gonna sound trite, but I’ll say it anyway. “That’s the $25,000,000 question.”

He did eventually fire the OL coach and bench Bazelak.

Is it “better late than never” or “too little too late”?

I always thought we fired Cam Cameron the day after he learned he needed defense. Will we fire Allen the day after he learns how go back to COY?

Dolson needs to make the call and get the money ready for either decision. THAT is the job of the AD, not just saying publicly “it‘s all spent.”

If it’s me, and it’s my birthday, and I’m king, I hire The Helton Brothers away from Western and Southern. Clay for DC and Tyson for OC.

I don’t see us sustaining winning by throwing 7 times. But that is decision No. 2.

This is gonna sound trite, but I’ll say it anyway. “That’s the $25,000,000 question.”

I always thought we fired Cam Cameron the day after he learned he needed defense. Will we fire Allen the day after he learns how go back to COY?

Dolson needs to make the call and get the money ready for either decision. THAT is the job of the AD, not just saying publicly “it‘s all spent.”

If it’s me, and it’s my birthday, and I’m king, I hire The Helton Brothers away from Western and Southern. Clay for DC and Tyson for OC.

I don’t see us sustaining winning by throwing 7 times. But that is decision No. 2.
the way i see it is he has one more yr to significantly improve his head coaching chops

can he do it? i hope so but.....

You don't pay someone who requires multiple babysitters $5 mil per year. It means that person stinks. You don't learn on your job at year 6 for $5 mil per year. It's IU's own stupidity that they are in this mess with this buyout. TA should thanks his own twinkies.

The real talent was DeBoer who won as a HC at all levels. He is composed on the sideline contrary to the toddler level composure observed each week. He is the antithesis of the scraps leading IU.

It's unfortunate that the timing wasn't reversed with DeBoer swapping spots with Allen as opposed to Allen and Wilson. Very likely IU would have won the Big Ten by now.

The real talent was DeBoer who won as a HC at all levels. He is composed on the sideline contrary to the toddler level composure observed each week.
I'm fine with a head coach getting excited when his team blocks the opponent's FG attempt in OT. I scratch my head, though, when he jumps into the arms of an assistant after stopping the opponent on 4th and 1 (at midfield) in the 1st quarter. Just a really bad look.

Stoops has Vince Marrow and recruits Ohio like MSU did with Dantonio. Kentucky can’t do better than Stoops. They were scared that Nebraska, Auburn or Wisconsin were about to come calling. I’m not in the let’s fire Tom Allen camp but he’s far from Mark Stoops.

Stoops:

Played at Iowa.

2-10 made him 26-31.
4 or 5 wins this year.

He isnt perfect.

giphy.gif
Sounds good. I called Dolson and he advised he'll give him another year.

Kentucky is ALL IN on football. Stoops now makes more money than Calipari!! Cal showed his ass a few months ago by making the basketball school comment and it appears that Stoops probably had some leverage over the university afterwards.

Stoops:

Played at Iowa.

2-10 made him 26-31.
4 or 5 wins this year.

He isnt perfect.

giphy.gif
your only delaying the inevitable.

get rid of allen, hire the helton bros. now.

I'm fine with a head coach getting excited when his team blocks the opponent's FG attempt in OT. I scratch my head, though, when he jumps into the arms of an assistant after stopping the opponent on 4th and 1 (at midfield) in the 1st quarter. Just a really bad look.
I don't remember at what point in the game it was, but I turned my head for a second, turned back, and the head guy was missing his glasses, blood on his face, and looked completely disheveled. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it.

get rid of allen, hire the helton bros. now.
I'd look for an up and comer similar to DeBoer. Won at all levels. T-ball and up. Adjust to his own teams strengths and weaknesses before the season starts as opposed to after week 12. Innovative.

I want a team that plays smart. Doesn't beat itself with stupid penalties and mistakes. Tackles. Tough as nails. When you don't have the horses you can't beat yourself.

I don't care who the guys pray to or if they use coke in the backroom. It's not like it matters in the days of NIL. Chances are if the players aren't beating themselves on the field, they are high character off the field.

That's what I expect for $5 mil per year.

I think 6 wins at IU is not difficult. Should be the minimum expectation.

My sense is that there are a lot of up and comers who are better than some of the current names but that fball is very cliquish and it can be hard to break through.

You don't pay someone who requires multiple babysitters $5 mil per year. It means that person stinks. You don't learn on your job at year 6 for $5 mil per year. It's IU's own stupidity that they are in this mess with this buyout. TA should thanks his own twinkies.

The real talent was DeBoer who won as a HC at all levels. He is composed on the sideline contrary to the toddler level composure observed each week. He is the antithesis of the scraps leading IU.

It's unfortunate that the timing wasn't reversed with DeBoer swapping spots with Allen as opposed to Allen and Wilson. Very likely IU would have won the Big Ten by now.
🤣

yabbut …

that is where we find ourselves

the decision has to be made based on actual current facts

that includes his past success, his current turds, his good hires, his bad hires, his current salary, his buyout, the portal, and NIL (and some other things I’m forgetting)

roll it ALL up into a big dough ball - not just the facts we like or don’t like - and today, now, current knowns, unknowns and guesses, and - to me - the decision is “keep Allen, be frank, be as helpful as money allows.”

didn’t hear anybody saying “fire him” until we lost his best hires, went 2-10 - and by then, the money was a huge “gotta keep him” factor.

At Michigan, he was already gone.

Here, it is a different deck of cards.

Don't have to like it, but if Momma Fate says it’s all we get, then we gotta eat it.

Was watching and thought the exact same thing. The reaction to stopping them mid field on 4th and 1 reminded me of how the father of a sixth grader would react in that situation. A power five Big Ten coach should not be acting like we won the super bowl mid first quarter on a fourth down stand. Very clownish in my opinion.

yabbut …

that is where we find ourselves

the decision has to be made based on actual current facts

that includes his past success, his current turds, his good hires, his bad hires, his current salary, his buyout, the portal, and NIL (and some other things I’m forgetting)

roll it ALL up into a big dough ball - not just the facts we like or don’t like - and today, now, current knowns, unknowns and guesses, and - to me - the decision is “keep Allen, be frank, be as helpful as money allows.”

didn’t hear anybody saying “fire him” until we lost his best hires, went 2-10 - and by then, the money was a huge “gotta keep him” factor.

At Michigan, he was already gone.

Here, it is a different deck of cards.

Don't have to like it, but if Momma Fate says it’s all we get, then we gotta eat it.
Don't throw good money after bad. If money grew on trees he would not be coaching after Sat. Since money doesn't grow on trees I agree there isn't a decision to be made.

Was watching and thought the exact same thing. The reaction to stopping them mid field on 4th and 1 reminded me of how the father of a sixth grader would react in that situation. A power five Big Ten coach should not be acting like we won the super bowl mid first quarter on a fourth down stand. Very clownish in my opinion.
Serious question: Is there a pill he could take during pre-game? I'm not thinking like a quaalude or anything that might make him curl up and nap on the sideline, but something that might allow him to act more like a leader of men instead of little league dad when junior gets his first base hit.

Stoops:

Played at Iowa.

2-10 made him 26-31.
4 or 5 wins this year.

He isnt perfect.

giphy.gif
You trust him to hire the next OC??

Serious question: Is there a pill he could take during pre-game? I'm not thinking like a quaalude or anything that might make him curl up and nap on the sideline, but something that might allow him to act more like a leader of men instead of little league dad when junior gets his first base h

Serious question: Is there a pill he could take during pre-game? I'm not thinking like a quaalude or anything that might make him curl up and nap on the sideline, but something that might allow him to act more like a leader of men instead of little league dad when junior gets his first base hit.
Maybe you should take a pill before you post?

Xanax or put him on a longer term script like Klonopin.
Outside of that, horse tranquilizers.

I don't remember at what point in the game it was, but I turned my head for a second, turned back, and the head guy was missing his glasses, blood on his face, and looked completely disheveled. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it.

Isn't amazing that people didn't have a problem with him being excited and over the top when we were winning, but now that we aren't having the success we think we should be having, people are blasting him for getting excited when his team does something good on the field.

Personally, I loved it when my coaches showed emotion when I played because that showed they were invested and cared. Why anyone blasts him for celebrating his team doing good things on the field is beyond me.

Isn't amazing that people didn't have a problem with him being excited and over the top when we were winning, but now that we aren't having the success we think we should be having, people are blasting him for getting excited when his team does something good on the field.

Personally, I loved it when my coaches showed emotion when I played because that showed they were invested and cared. Why anyone blasts him for celebrating his team doing good things on the field is beyond me.
It's not just that, these same posters you are talking about claim to know how to run & coach a P5 football team, but would not know the first thing about any of it, and they could not do any better than any of the Indiana football coaches that have been at Indiana the past 52 years.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think a big part of the reason Allen was hired in the first place was he was a competent defensive coach. Who was the last coach prior to Allen that put forth a decent D? Mallory, Hoepp kind of? Offense is the problem. Unfortunately, Allen is 2-4 in getting the offense right, and Hiller has been the coach up until recently. Last year and most of this year has been very painful on offense. It was nice to see Bell and Carey put some type of successful offense out there this weekend. I don't know if 2-4 plus Hiller is good enough on O, but I also can't think of too many IU football seasons like 2019 and 2020: there was competence on both sides of the ball, which is no coincidence.

Today, transfers can play right away and you can literally pay players. If IU can't take advantage of this, then I give up. SMU sure got a lot of mileage out of not much money.

It isn't impossible to be mediocre most of the time at least in the Big Ten, and IU is certainly capable of it. It helps to be in the West instead of the East: I would rather play Northwestern, Illinois, and Minnesota rather than OSU, UM, and State Penn every year.

I think the issue for many of us is that it’s apparent that the 2020 season results were an aberration and would have never occurred under normal conditions. They still count, but they were overwhelmingly the result of the unique conditions during that season rather than his coaching prowess.

Reactions: DAG10
I think the issue for many of us is that it’s apparent that the 2020 season results were an aberration and would have never occurred under normal conditions. They still count, but they were overwhelmingly the result of the unique conditions during that season rather than his coaching prowess.

Yeah, Indiana was the only team not playing under those covid rules I guess.

The 2019 season still happened, by the way. What's the excuse for that one?

Yeah, Indiana was the only team not playing under those covid rules I guess.

The 2019 season still happened, by the way. What's the excuse for that one?
Our Covid issues were during the summer and we suffered very few disruptions during the abbreviated season. We were unique in that regard. In 2019, we beat three very poor non-con opponents and the bottom of the BiG. Did any of them have a winning record? No need to apologize for beating who we beat, but none of them were any good. We lost to the five good teams we played, and UT wasn’t really that good.

Double DITTO!

I'm not into aberrations. What I am into is Wommack and DeBoer have been absent for 2 challenging seasons and until recently Hiller was at the scene of those crimes. Carey is an improvement, DW at QB is an improvement, Bell is better than NS and his gameplan around Dexter last week was an improvement and the team taking advantage of last weeks opponents errors was an improvement just as not folding after their own. Against PUke, ST's and the D under Wilt and Allen needs to find the next gear. The punter has to produce + results. The less offensive plays PUke gets to run the better for IU's Bucket W.

Last edited:
Our Covid issues were during the summer and we suffered very few disruptions during the abbreviated season. We were unique in that regard. In 2019, we beat three very poor non-con opponents and the bottom of the BiG. Did any of them have a winning record? No need to apologize for beating who we beat, but none of them were any good. We lost to the five good teams we played, and UT wasn’t really that good.

And there it is.

We can't have logical reasons why a season didn't go the way people think it should go, but we CAN have reasons why we were good and why our good seasons actually weren't all that good.

Makes absolute sense.

And there it is.

We can't have logical reasons why a season didn't go the way people think it should go, but we CAN have reasons why we were good and why our good seasons actually weren't all that good.

Makes absolute sense.
Ah, a familiar response from you. What I stated is logical because it’s based in fact.

amen!

In 2019 we beat the defending B1G West Champs and the preseason B1G West favorite. We lost to top 10 PSU on the road in a one possession game with our backup QB, our top WR knocked out of the game on an illegal targeting which wasn't called and after giving up a TD after losing a questionable muffed punt.

in 2020 we also were decimated by COVID after the UW game which prevented the team from even practicing for the bowl game until arriving in Tampa.

Stoops:

Played at Iowa.

2-10 made him 26-31.
4 or 5 wins this year.

He isnt perfect.

giphy.gif
Kinda get it

Doesn't really matter

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT