ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald comments

Palmbeachhoosier

All-Big Ten
Aug 13, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Did anyone else happen to catch the Pat Fitzgerald interview ion BIG media days? He was asked about putting together 4 straight winning seasons for the first time in the 90 year history of Northwestern football. He responded that it was just keep plugging away. He said that Tom Allen has the Hoosiers on the brink of breaking through.

I am patient enough to wait as this schedule is a brutal for teams like IU. I do think IU should upset a couple of the "big" teams now and then in the mean time. I see IUFB improving and having a good shot of moving up in the B1G if we give them time. I hope this year is the year IU starts improving from being close to winning games.

Yes, IUs strength of schedule average over the last 4 seasons is 50.
SOS isn't the most accurate way to measure the difficulty of a schedule. It's a tool, much like you.

We lost a game scheduled with FIU to a hurricane and they were replaced with a D1 -Aa team. That crushed our SOS. I can't quickly find the article, but the last 4 or 5 years, the only team to have played more top 10 ranked teams than IU was Alabama. And their number was boosted by playing in the SEC title game, and the playoffs every year.

There is a big difference playing a fringe top 25 team and a top 10 team that frequently.

Did anyone else happen to catch the Pat Fitzgerald interview ion BIG media days? He was asked about putting together 4 straight winning seasons for the first time in the 90 year history of Northwestern football. He responded that it was just keep plugging away. He said that Tom Allen has the Hoosiers on the brink of breaking through.
Fitzgerald’s comment is a bit past the 13 minute mark:

SOS isn't the most accurate way to measure the difficulty of a schedule. It's a tool, much like you.

We lost a game scheduled with FIU to a hurricane and they were replaced with a D1 -Aa team. That crushed our SOS. I can't quickly find the article, but the last 4 or 5 years, the only team to have played more top 10 ranked teams than IU was Alabama. And their number was boosted by playing in the SEC title game, and the playoffs every year.

There is a big difference playing a fringe top 25 team and a top 10 team that frequently.

Another poster mentioned that as well, but couldn’t every school in the East say the same? I guess the big 4 can’t play themselves but it’s not like we’ve scheduled a top 10 school out of conference though. Rutgers and Maryland should be able to make the same claim unless we caught Wisconsin & Iowa the wrong years.

I do think it's funny that pat makes that comment though because I think a lot of us see northwestern as a solid west team that is a winner but history tells us northwestern is no different than us. IU record since football started 460-655. Northwestern record 536-658. Tom allen and pat Fitzgerald in my opinion are 2 very similar coaches in how they want to build their team and how much they love the schools they coach at. At Pat's record after is first two years? 10-14. Pat is right tom allen and IU are there we just have to have a little bit more patience (I know hard as an IU fan).

Another poster mentioned that as well, but couldn’t every school in the East say the same? I guess the big 4 can’t play themselves but it’s not like we’ve scheduled a top 10 school out of conference though. Rutgers and Maryland should be able to make the same claim unless we caught Wisconsin & Iowa the wrong years.

No, Ohio State gets to play Indiana instead of Ohio State. MSU, PSU, UM all have that same advantage. Rutgers and Maryland can definitely pose that but then it determines who you picked in the West each particular year and we seem to always get the big guys. Even our cross conference mainstay from the bottom of the West is now decent.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Off the top of my head, the difference was Wisconsin as one crossover and Nebraska had that one fluke year, where I thought we were the better team that day.

"In the last six years the two teams that have played the most Top Five programs in the country are Alabama and Indiana." Here's the article:
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/ind...en-not-backing-down-from-big-ten-east-powers/
That statement is flawed.

1. They say the last six years - that goes back to BEFORE the East Division, so it automatically puts Rutgers and MD out of the conversation because obviously they weren't playing B1G FB.

2. If instead they said: "Since the beginning E/W Divional play... “ then, it would be MD, Rutgers, IU... MD also caught IA and Wiscy, plus they played Texas while ranked.

That statement is flawed.

1. They say the last six years - that goes back to BEFORE the East Division, so it automatically puts Rutgers and MD out of the conversation because obviously they weren't playing B1G FB.

2. If instead they said: "Since the beginning E/W Divional play... “ then, it would be MD, Rutgers, IU... MD also caught IA and Wiscy, plus they played Texas while ranked.
Maybe it's me, but I'm struggling to understand what you're talking about.

I didn't do the research to back the claim in the article, but off the top of my head I can think of several Top 5 teams we've played recently (Ohio State multiple times, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin). Who, other than Alabama, has played more?

Maybe it's me, but I'm struggling to understand what you're talking about.

I didn't do the research to back the claim in the article, but off the top of my head I can think of several Top 5 teams we've played recently (Ohio State multiple times, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin). Who, other than Alabama, has played more?
I'm not disputing the truth of the statement - it's true for the last 6 years.

Im just saying the statement is flawed. Maryland and Rutgers have played those same teams the same amount for the last five years, but not 6.

Why use 6 year instead of 5? Why not 2 since Allen has been HC?

Sorry, I'm just nitpicking.

I'm not disputing the truth of the statement - it's true for the last 6 years.

Im just saying the statement is flawed. Maryland and Rutgers have played those same teams the same amount for the last five years, but not 6.

Why use 6 year instead of 5? Why not 2 since Allen has been HC?

Sorry, I'm just nitpicking.

But what were the teams ranked when the games were actually played? That could be the nuance here.

He's pointing out that teams could have been top 5 when they played IU but not top 5 when they played Maryland or Rutgers given that rankings change each week.

Maryland and Rutgers having similarly tough schedules doesn't diminish anything when it comes to IU's schedule.

Do opposing coaches ever do anything besides compliment the other coaches and teams?

I’m not saying TA isn’t about to break through, but this is just par for the course. The same was said about Bill Lynch.

Do opposing coaches ever do anything besides compliment the other coaches and teams?

I’m not saying TA isn’t about to break through, but this is just par for the course. The same was said about Bill Lynch.

He could have chosen many coaches.. no one mentioned Indiana or Tom Allen until he did.. if you can’t see that speaks volumes for the respect level from guys doing it the right way then that’s on you. this isn’t basketball programs aren’t built in 2 or 3 years. If you don’t like it move on..

Yes but.....if only we were in his division, we would have a much better chance.

Yes but.....if only we were in his division, we would have a much better chance.
Yeah, agreed.

As much as I like Fitz. He has never beaten OSU and Michigan only once, in the 15 years he has coached NU. His success was built on growing in the West division.

Imagine how IU could grow there too.

Maybe you should look at Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer. Steve Spurrier and Phil Fulmer
In general I would not disagree with you that coaches do not bad mouth other coaches. But I also don’t think they randomly complement each other. One thing I have heard from people is how hard IU plays. Continuing to add talent along with all out effort will hopefully finally get IU over the top. Hopefully IU can get to .500 in BIG play as a start.

Yeah, agreed.

As much as I like Fitz. He has never beaten OSU and Michigan only once, in the 15 years he has coached NU. His success was built on growing in the West division.

Imagine how IU could grow there too.
That is interesting that he has not beaten neither Michigan or Ohio State. I do believe he is a great coach.

Oh, wasn't IU 0-3 against the Big Ten West last year? IU didn't even play the best two teams in the west. The only reason IU won two games in the Big Ten last year is because of some terrible teams in the East they were able to defeat. Plus the out of conference strength of schedule is terrible. IU plays teams on the fringe of being in the top 175. Also, the East best team, Ohio State, lost by about 30 last year vs Purdue.

So, keep telling yourself its about the division. Get your hopes up after beating 3 top 200 teams in the preconference schedule. Because, we all know that's whats going to happen, again.

Oh, wasn't IU 0-3 against the Big Ten West last year? IU didn't even play the best two teams in the west. The only reason IU won two games in the Big Ten last year is because of some terrible teams in the East they were able to defeat. Plus the out of conference strength of schedule is terrible. IU plays teams on the fringe of being in the top 175. Also, the East best team, Ohio State, lost by about 30 last year vs Purdue.

So, keep telling yourself its about the division. Get your hopes up after beating 3 top 200 teams in the preconference schedule. Because, we all know that's whats going to happen, again.

Here's hoping your team makes it to another bowl game this year... I Really enjoyed watching you against Auburn.

In case you missed that game:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ord-points-music-city-bowl-purdue/2434646002/

That Auburn team that laid 56 points on you In the First Half had just backed into that bowl by losing 4 of their last 7 games, by the way...;)

After a beating like that only a complete moron would attempt to troll any other teams board... Guess you're "that" girl...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here's hoping your team makes it to another bowl game this year... I Really enjoyed watching you against Auburn.

In case you missed that game:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ord-points-music-city-bowl-purdue/2434646002/

That Auburn team that laid 56 points on you In the First Half had just backed into that bowl by losing 4 of their last 7 games, by the way...;)

After a beating like that only a complete moron would attempt to troll any other teams board... Guess you're "that" girl...:rolleyes:

Yes, Purdue was in a Bowl game, again. However, you didn't address the point about how IU has it tough being in their division. When actually that's where both of their wins came from. We all look forward to PU being in another bowl game. I guess we can start with something we all agree with...

So, keep telling yourself its about the division. Get your hopes up after beating 3 top 200 teams in the preconference schedule. Because, we all know that's whats going to happen, again.[/
So two of IU’s ooc opponents made a bowl game last year. The 3 crossover games were you, Iowa and Minnesota. We were not favored in any of those games. In division play the only games they may have been favored in were Rutgers and Maryland and I am not positive they were favored in the Maryland game. What you fail to realize is that you can’t be up mentally and physically every week. They play hard but not not necessarily mistake free every game. It is not excuses it is a fact.

Shouldn’t you be joining the other campers telling ghost stories around the campfire or playing spin the bottle?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I'm sure they aren't the first West team to get this luxury, but just read Minnesota doesn't have OSU, UM or MSU this year. Their crossovers are PSU, MD, Rutgers!! Must be nice.

I'm sure they aren't the first West team to get this luxury, but just read Minnesota doesn't have OSU, UM or MSU this year. Their crossovers are PSU, MD, Rutgers!! Must be nice.

IU's strength of schedule is rated #13 out of 14 Big Ten teams. CBS ranks IU as having the 14th most difficult schedule in the Big Ten. Must be nice.. No, not really though.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Big-Ten-toughest-schedules-2019-Michigan-Ohio-State-133942768/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...igan-wisconsin-facing-incredibly-tough-roads/

Last edited:
IU's strength of schedule is rated #13 out of 14 Big Ten teams. CBS ranks IU as having the 14th most difficult schedule in the Big Ten. Must be nice.. No, not really though.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Big-Ten-toughest-schedules-2019-Michigan-Ohio-State-133942768/
Don’t know who the idiot that determined that was. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State from the east. Nebraska who many people have as the favorite to win the west. Northwestern who is the defending west champions. They must not think too highly of Rutgers, Maryland and you guys. Not really a schedule many people lining up to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT