ADVERTISEMENT

Keep Allen

You don't pay someone who requires multiple babysitters $5 mil per year. It means that person stinks. You don't learn on your job at year 6 for $5 mil per year. It's IU's own stupidity that they are in this mess with this buyout. TA should thanks his own twinkies.

The real talent was DeBoer who won as a HC at all levels. He is composed on the sideline contrary to the toddler level composure observed each week. He is the antithesis of the scraps leading IU.

It's unfortunate that the timing wasn't reversed with DeBoer swapping spots with Allen as opposed to Allen and Wilson. Very likely IU would have won the Big Ten by now.
DeBoer wasn't here in 2020.

So by that same logic, your giving IU a pass this since we lost Bedord, Jones and Camper all to injury this year, who are the three best without a doubt at their positions, correct?

Or do other teams get the luxury to play the injury card and Indiana doesn't?
The “injury card” could be played in perpetuity at IU and I’m sure some would want to do so. Successful programs tend not to because they identify and hire coaches who can develop enough depth to successfully cope with injuries.

The “injury card” could be played in perpetuity at IU and I’m sure some would want to do so. Successful programs tend not to because they identify and hire coaches who can develop enough depth to successfully cope with injuries.

Then don't play it on why Michigan lost to us in 2020 if you're not going to give Indiana that same leeway in situations.

So OSU was an anomaly that year? Joe Milton wasn't good. He hasn't been good since that year. Not an anomaly. Michigan OL was bad that year.

Michigan was bad because Aiden Hutchenson got hurt against us and that's why they lost.... that's the reason anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13
It is an anomaly because we were 6-2? We were breaking in a new offense. We had no spring or summer. We had an atypical fall practice. Yet somehow we were able to find a way to be 6-2.
We were able to practice with essentially a full roster for the entirety of that abbreviated season. Most of the schools we played didn’t come close to duplicating that. It’s why we had such an advantage and why, when it went away the following season, we regressed.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
We were able to practice with essentially a full roster for the entirety of that abbreviated season. Most of the schools we played didn’t come close to duplicating that. It’s why we had such an advantage and why, when it went away the following season, we regressed.
We still had no spring and no summer and we’re installing a new offense. Even if we did practice with a majority of our players. I am not sure if you realize how much of a disadvantage that is?

We still had no spring and no summer and we’re installing a new offense. Even if we did practice with a majority of our players. I am not sure if you realize how much of a disadvantage that is?
Everyone else had had the same disadvantage, though. Where we had the leg up was in the Fall. The results of the last two years make it pretty clear.

Everyone else had had the same disadvantage, though. Where we had the leg up was in the Fall. The results of the last two years make it pretty clear.
...and to seriously think you are close to the program...I'm well advanced in my 8th decade and recognizing ducks farting under water comes with that experience...

...and to seriously think you are close to the program...I'm well advanced in my 8th decade and recognizing ducks farting under water comes with that experience...
Doesnt matter if you want to deny it, it’s what actually occurred. The results of the last couple of seasons make it clear.

I think it's more true that IU had solid QB play those two years, and solid coordinators (I know Deboer left, but the foundation was there). The fact they had two good years doesn't excuse the dumpster fire of the past two years or lack of reasonable hope next year will be any better. But you have to be stupid to deny the team was good for two years.

I’ve talked it through in my head.
The Mark Stoops comparison below convinced me to convince myself.

We are not a “have.” We are a “have not.”
We cannot rebuild as if we WERE a “have.”
We must protect our foundation - when we have one - more than most.

Stoops:

In his 10th season at Kentucky.
Kentucky has a small population and fights Louisville for in-state talent.
Kentucky is in the SEC and usually has 4-5 games equal to our Big 3.
Broke Bryant’s record of 60 wins at Kentucky this year and is now their all-time winning coach.
Stoops roots are in Youngstown, Ohio.
Played at Iowa.
Kentucky is his first HC job after 22 years on HS and college staffs on defense.
His first 3 years he went 12-24.
He is 53-33 since then, with 1 losing season since then (Covid 2020, 5-6 with a bowl loss).
He is the first Kentucky coach to coach a 10th season.
AD Mitch Barnhart fired Guy Morriss after he went 7-5 his second year after Air Raid Mumme. People were shocked but he wanted his mentor from Oregon State - Rich Brooks. He kept Brooks after 3 losing seasons when the fans wanted him gone, and Brooks then had 4 straight winning seasons. Foundational. Joker Phillips went 11-14, then 2-10 (13-24) and got fired in 3. Barnhart then kept Stoops when the fans wanted him gone at 12-24. They suffered 5 straight losing seasons, then got 53 wins.

Allen spent 24 years getting to his first HC job.
He went 10-14, then 8-5 for 18-19 in his first 3.
6-2 in 2020 made him 24-21 after 4, with a COY and 2 great hires (Deboer and Wommack).
2-10 made him 26-31.
4 or 5 wins this year.
I suspect Barnhart would keep Allen.
I expect Dolson will keep him and other staff changes will come Sunday.
Just a comparative guess.

End of the day, Allen has been responsible for success using Wilson’s player foundation and his own hires and his own early recruits, followed by 2 turds. He is the bird in the hand When open season portal hunting for recruits has taken over, and is still being massaged. So the question is can you be certain to do better in the current market? Will the next 3 be foundation BUILDING or letting Allen use his own launchpad, to the extent one is left after 6-11 or 7-10?

At Michigan you fire Allen, because you KNOW coaching talent will pour in to pick from.
At Indiana, you keep him and get him as much coal for the fire as you can - staff and roster.

Yes, reasonable minds can differ.
But after watching Pont through Wilson, THIS is the hill I’m willing to die on.

He isnt perfect.
Rah Rah wears thin quick and his has now rubbed me the wrong way and failed to sustain winning.
Let’s hope he tones down the feelings and ramps up the football fundamentals.

Anyway, when Dolson calls me (which he won’t) I’ll tell him to pour money into football NIL and staff salary and recruiting and become the Candy-Striped Fighting Indiana Hoosier Bison - the most powerful beast of the plains - immovable and unstoppable, led by Coach Tom All-in.

giphy.gif
Yeah, I agree with most of what you say. The difference these last 2 years is asst. coaches and injuries. I think Bama's stealing our strength and conditioning staff hurt us more than people realize.

We had 2 winnable games this year in Rutgers and Maryland, but those were thrown away by Bazelak interceptions that resulted in TDs and we lost by 7 and 5 points, respectively. I kinda wonder how people would be looking at this if we had won those games and gone to a bowl.

He's obviously got another year but will have to improve. When I see the season kicking off with OSU and Louisville in the con-con games, I'm not so sure.

Yeah, I agree with most of what you say. The difference these last 2 years is asst. coaches and injuries. I think Bama's stealing our strength and conditioning staff hurt us more than people realize.

We had 2 winnable games this year in Rutgers and Maryland, but those were thrown away by Bazelak interceptions that resulted in TDs and we lost by 7 and 5 points, respectively. I kinda wonder how people would be looking at this if we had won those games and gone to a bowl.

He's obviously got another year but will have to improve. When I see the season kicking off with OSU and Louisville in the con-con games, I'm not so sure.
Nebraska was winnable also.

We will start the season 0-2 for sure. Don’t see much of a shot of us beating The Ville, given how much roster turnover we are likely to see, plus the fact we will be fielding almost a completely new defensive lineup.

We will start the season 0-2 for sure. Don’t see much of a shot of us beating The Ville, given how much roster turnover we are likely to see, plus the fact we will be fielding almost a completely new defensive lineup.
We play Indiana State second and Louisville is a more winnable game then Cinci.

It' s as though people want Allen to be like Tom Landry and never show any emotion.
No, but neither extreme is optimal.

Coach made relationships and feelings the “DNA” of our program (his words, not mine). Then, after Tuttle has played the LEO role to the highest degree, sitting and remaining loyal behind Ramsey and Penix, Coach brings in a portal guy and moves him to the head of the line. There is zero chance some players in the program would not view that as unfair to Tuttle, especially when seeing that Bazelak is not a good fit for the offense. So, without regard to talent and game day effectiveness, there is no surprise in players “taking sides” in the locker room. LEO has certain consequences, and showing loyalty is one of them.

No, but neither extreme is optimal.

Coach made relationships and feelings the “DNA” of our program (his words, not mine). Then, after Tuttle has played the LEO role to the highest degree, sitting and remaining loyal behind Ramsey and Penix, Coach brings in a portal guy and moves him to the head of the line. There is zero chance some players in the program would not view that as unfair to Tuttle, especially when seeing that Bazelak is not a good fit for the offense. So, without regard to talent and game day effectiveness, there is no surprise in players “taking sides” in the locker room. LEO has certain consequences, and showing loyalty is one of them.
Best players play. Tuttle had countless opportunities to prove himself. He didn't. Hiller was eventually fired. He was one that CTA was loyal to. Bazelak eventually got benched and lost his job. Transfering out. Just because you stay doesn't mean you get to play. That's crazy. The players don't choose who plays. Once Hiller was fired. Hanna and Weaver stopped playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT