ADVERTISEMENT

Parker Stewart update

"You would think he would be eager to rush back"? Who are you are you, him?

Something like that affects different people differently. His dad was his basketball coach, maybe he wants to stay the hell away from the court for awhile. I don't know and neither do you.

My expectations for Parker were never that high as a player, I think people that are expecting a versatile three point shooting savior are setting themselves up for disappointment. He's a slightly above average shooter with decent size.

That said, I never expected him to play this year. Even beyond the effect on team chemistry, to let a guy you just picked up mid season eat up minutes from players that have been apart of the team activities, workouts, ect...all year. It sends a bad message.

Just let him heal, he's been through a lot and hopefully he'll come ready to ball next year.

I'm just commenting; is this not the IU fan site to discuss happenings with our team? Did I stumble into the IU huddle with team members reading our thoughts? If Parker or any player is reading my posts and feeling pressure from them, our program has even bigger problems than I thought, but it might explain a lot of the futility of the last 20 years. Trust me, more than most I would guess, I want him to heal and get over his loss and move forward. I was merely speculating on how a college athlete would be most likely to do that based on my experience. It's been 40+ years since my Dad died, and I'm fine with it, but having folks say "I'm sorry for your loss" just in a couple posts, while nice, still makes me uncomfortable, and for me and many, that's the worst in moving forward. Normal is what most crave and "doing something" or having a goal and accomplishing something helps get there. (That's also what most therapists suggest: get back in there, find an outlet; don't dwell on grief and sadness"). Parker has a new goal in front of him, so I think it would be unusual for someone to not plunge in, but merely my speculation.

and your guessing what his story is, just like I am, but I've been through it. Trust me, for 99% of kids/students who lose a parent, that time on the court when you can focus on sports and not have to put up with people making you uncomfortable by trying to comfort you is golden. I said early, if he doesn't run back to the court and work to play, I don't think he'll play for us. We'll see.
Yep, it's tough to lose your dad when you're in college. I lost mine to a heart attack when I was a sophomore. I even performed CPR. I thought I read somewhere that Stewart was the one who found his dad.

Taking basketball completely out of the equation, I'm sure that it's been hard enough for him to just focus on school and living life right now. Add to that attending a completely new University, he's got a lot of life changes to deal with. Basketball could be an outlet or distraction for him or it could just be another thing that he's having problems concentrating on.

I think if he was just a "regular" transfer, it would be way easier for him and far less complicated. He should not be rushed back.

I'm just commenting; is this not the IU fan site to discuss happenings with our team? Did I stumble into the IU huddle with team members reading our thoughts? If Parker or any player is reading my posts and feeling pressure from them, our program has even bigger problems than I thought, but it might explain a lot of the futility of the last 20 years. Trust me, more than most I would guess, I want him to heal and get over his loss and move forward. I was merely speculating on how a college athlete would be most likely to do that based on my experience. It's been 40+ years since my Dad died, and I'm fine with it, but having folks say "I'm sorry for your loss" just in a couple posts, while nice, still makes me uncomfortable, and for me and many, that's the worst in moving forward. Normal is what most crave and "doing something" or having a goal and accomplishing something helps get there. (That's also what most therapists suggest: get back in there, find an outlet; don't dwell on grief and sadness"). Parker has a new goal in front of him, so I think it would be unusual for someone to not plunge in, but merely my speculation.
You're right that this is an IU basketball site, not a site for all of us to try to play therapist for someone we don't know in an exact situation none of us have ever been in.

Also you weren't "merely speculating", you were assuming you knew what's best for him and that rushing back to IU would ease his grief. Then you stated that if he didn't come back this year he wouldn't play for IU at all. That's one hell of a reach.

Again let the kid heal, rushing him back before he's ready doesn't do anybody any good.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
You're right that this is an IU basketball site, not a site for all of us to try to play therapist for someone we don't know in an exact situation none of us have ever been in.

Also you weren't "merely speculating", you were assuming you knew what's best for him and that rushing back to IU would ease his grief. Then you stated that if he didn't come back this year he wouldn't play for IU at all. That's one hell of a reach.

Again let the kid heal, rushing him back before he's ready doesn't do anybody any good.
Duly noted: Parker or Archie, if you're reading this, please disregard my comments as those of a fan and not what you should actually be feeling or doing. Now, I've got to get back to work, but first I'll check my fan site to figure out what I'm gonna do today.

Speculating is exactly what I was doing. Lighten up Nancy.

I'm not worried about W and Ls, and I don't see Parker making that big a contribution. A knockdown shooter would be great, and that's what I'd hope for, but I don't think he's going to be a huge impact maker. I'm strictly thinking in terms of recovering from something like that, and I disagree with you: I think he would be eager to rush back, not to a quarantine, but to a team, and a court and working out... that's what he knows, what makes sense and hopefully what makes him happy. You can only grieve so much and then normalcy is what most people crave and is hardest to find during those times. What's normal for a college bball player?

Archie is worried about wins and losses, so he's not going to play someone that is not ready.

Parker normal has now changed. He doesn't know what that is yet. He's in a new town, has to make new friends and has new teammates. This isn't a video game where you just plug in a player and they are automatically inserted 100% with everything.

It's WAY more complicated then that. You seem to not be able to grasp that and hinge his whole future on whether he ever suits on for indiana whether he plays in the next couple weeks or not.

Imo..
You should be able to roll out of bed and go at his age .
Geez..
It's like when I hear in the high school tournament.
The team that played second game in the morning regional..Well they were tired from that late game ..Is why they lost
B.S.
If he can ball....He should be able to go once he has the mandatory practices in..
Who know's how it plays out..

No, he's played 2 years of college ball which means he understands the nature of what a coach is doing generally, what it takes at this level and what you're going to see in practice. It won't take him nearly as long to assimilate as it does a new incoming freshman. Packline isn't a different sport or even different concepts. It's not like he has to run backwards in packline. He'll pick it up way quicker than a freshman will.
Meechie played AAU all summer his knee injury was the year prior. Cleared to play last February. He was in great shape coming into Ohio state. Parker from all accounts I’ve heard hasn’t played or practiced at all. I still say he’s not going to play anytime soon. Why rush it if he’s not ready.

They talked about him last night on the OSU-NW game and said he had had 1 full week of practice. I thought it was more than that, but that's what they said. This was his second game played, I believe. He competed well and hit 2 3s.

I believe Meechie last played in the summer on an AAU team. Not at all this Fall.

So....I don't see why Stewart cannot be playing in 3 weeks. Now, it's obviously his choice. If he wants to sit that's a different matter. That's not what CAM said.

IU's not going to play anybody who's not ready to play. Clearly. If he were able to play this year he likely would. I'm not betting on it though. But thinking a kid who just arrived on campus within the last week without weeks to months of any kind of conditioning or practice on top of any kind of acclimation period should be playing within a 2 to 3 week period is delusional.

You're assuming he's not done any kind of conditioning. You don't know that.

This thread is stupid, who knows what's going through his mind. Certainly no one here knows. Therapy? Not everyone that loses a parent needs therapy, you assume he does. Some stuff people need to deal with in there own ways, that could be working out, it could be religion, who knows? When he plays, he plays. This team hasn't put together a consistent 40 minutes yet and goes through maddening streaks where the effort isn't there (Nebraska). These guys need to have 40 minutes of effort first and then integrate Stewart when he's ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT